[Mkguild] Churan

Stealth stealthcat15 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 22:50:15 EST 2009

A short collab with a future possibility.

Churan
Copyright (c) 2009 Michael Nastov and Christian O=92Kane

    The knight sauntered down an icy stone stairway. His leather boots
descended gradually until one paw slipped backward. Edmund chirped and spat
in a panic as he fell forward. In an instant he saw his fate; that of his
muzzle, teeth and sensitive nose being smashed upon the cold, hard stone.

    An arm reached out and grabbed the paladin by the scruff of his neck.

    =93Careful, Ed. You=92ve gotta watch those icy steps with your foot paw=
s.=94
Stealth said and hefted the knight back up.

    =93My thanks!=94 The knight said regaining his footing.

    =93No problem.=94 The courier answered and looked around.

    They were descending from the highest level of the Keep=92s exterior th=
at
one could traverse. To the south, smoke from the castle, the lower ward and
Euper consolidated into a soft haze. The cats blanched at the acrid smell.
In all other directions the skies were clear, the air fresh and crisp. The
forests were spread out before them like a fine moss and the Ice Mountains
of the east and west radiated like crystals. =93It=92s nice up here, huh?=
=94

    He nodded his head. =93A fine view. You can see all the way to the vall=
ey
walls from up here.=94 the paladin answered.

    Edmund trained with Stealth that day. He=92d been tutoring his friend
every so often but he surprised the inexperienced feline by waving the day=
=92s
sword play in favour of a lesson in strategic planning. They=92d been looki=
ng
over the northern forests and discussing battle strategies and the placement
of imaginary armies for the defence and assault of the Keep.

    Stealth leaned against the stone wall for a moment before flinching away
from its icy touch. =93I come out here whenever I need some air. Usually I
need to run back in then sit by the fire with a blanket or five...=94 He sa=
id
and exhaled a cloud of mist.

    =93Let=92s head back inside. It is a little too cold for this cheetah b=
ody
of mine.=94 Edmund huddled up in his coat. Perhaps next time he=92d conduct=
 the
lesson from his bedroom window...

    =93I was going to say. Here, this way and watch your step.=94 Stealth l=
ed
his friend down the remainder of the stairs into a side door.

    It did feel good to get back inside but the Keep=92s interiors weren=92=
t a
great deal better then the battlements. Though they were on the upper
levels, it wasn=92t Stealth=92s apartment they came across but rather Edmun=
d=92s.
As the paladin fumbled for the key with paws numb from too much time
outdoors, Stealth looked about the hallway. Not much different from any
other except for one door he noticed next to Edmund=92s. It smelt like the
home of a canine, more specifically a lupine. Stealth smiled at the memory
of the Yule when he heard a click followed by a creak.

    =93Ah! A lot warmer in here!=94 Edmund said as they entered the apartme=
nt.
He waited till Stealth entered past him then shut the door. =93Thank you
again; you spared me an arduous meeting with Kyia.=94

    =93That=92s okay. I think I=92m more used to the battlements. Besides, I
couldn=92t let those handsome tears come to harm; what would Bridgette say?=
=94

    Edmund=92s ears folded and his tail flitted about at a much faster pace.
Stealth smiled to himself and patted the paladin on the shoulder before
turning away to examine the hearth. The cheetah fed the fire some wood.
After standing up from the fire he noticed the room looked the same as it
had the first time he=92d seen it.

    =93I used to like winter but now it is just too cold outside for me most
days.=94 Edmund lamented as he looked out the window. It didn=92t snow out =
but
more then enough already gathered on the ground and showed no sign of going
anywhere soon.

    =93Don=92t worry about it Ed. I mean, you don=92t have to go up there i=
f it=92s
cold. You=92re not a snow leopard.=94 The cheetah petted him on the shoulde=
r,
=93In summer, that=92s when we=92ll shine.=94

    Edmund turned around and nodded. =93True! Nice, warm, summer.=94

    Stealth sat down on one of the chairs belonging to the shivering
Paladin, =93When it warms up you could take Bridgette up there to the
battlements.=94

    Ed nodded again and sat down opposite him. =93Yes, when it warms up a l=
ot
more!=94

    =93Well she has a pelt much more suited for the weather.=94 Stealth
stretched his legs and flexed his arms to return circulation to them.
=93Anyway, she=92ll enjoy the view. I know I do.=94

    =93Winter is nice but I=92ve always liked summer. Not just for the warm=
 air
but because we could finally go out into the fresh air to go riding and my
favourite sport - hunting!=94

    Stealth rubbed his hands to return feeling then looked at them. =93Still
feels odd.=94

    =93What does?=94 Ed asked in a puzzled tone.

    =93Hunting.=94 Stealth answered, =93I mean I know we=92re carnivores bu=
t we=92re
not the most ferocious creatures around.=94 He laughed slightly, =93I don't=
 know
why the prey bother running away.=94

    =93Well we have the combination of intelligence and a hunting animal fo=
rm.
Not an overly powerful one but still a noble hunting creature. We all can=
=92t
be like churan and spring to life fully grown. It just takes practice to
hone your skills.=94 The knight said as he stood up again and walked over to
the wardrobe.

    =93Who?=94 Stealth cocked his head. He drummed his claws on Edmund=92s =
desk.

    =93Churan are terrible monsters my parents told me about when I was
little.=94 Edmund answered as he began to remove the bulk of his winter
clothing. =93They were supposed to be 10 feet tall with fangs as long as yo=
ur
arm. One was supposed to be able to pull down a full grown elephant by
itself.=94

    =93I see.=94 The cheetah nodded slowly, =93Is this like the story about=
 the
thing from the bottomless pit?=94 He snickered.

    The paladin nodded. =93Yes, however there are people who claim to have
actually seen one but I think they had one drink too many.=94

    =93Well, I don=92t see myself bringing down an elephant anytime soon.=
=94

    =93Oh? My parents told me a story about a churan...=94 Edmund placed his
thick coat and scarf in the cupboard, the whiff of musk greeted his nose.
=93He chased a mammoth beast. The mighty hunter felled its quarry but before
the creature was even dead, a hyenadon appeared out of the brush.=94

    Stealth blinked, =93A hyena-don?=94

    =93You=92ve met Anteius?=94 Edmund asked as he walked over to the heart=
h.

    =93Aye... oh, one of those.=94 Stealth turned his upper body to follow =
Ed=92s
path.

    The knight nodded and crouched on his foot paws before the flames.
=93Hyenas never hunt alone and several more of its pack surrounded the hunt=
er
and its carcass.=94

    Stealth nodded but didn=92t say anything. Perhaps the hunting animal
killed the pack leader and the rest fled or the feline fled to save itself
or it stayed to fight; going down in a blaze of glory so to speak. That=92s
usually how these things ended...

    =93The mighty hunting cat took its kill in its jaws. It bit into the ne=
ck
with its large fangs and used its strength to drag the mammoth to the narrow
side of the clearing. The hyenadons could not get close to eat the kill
because it was in a bottleneck and the churan paced along what flesh was in
reach.

    =93The mighty hunter eventually prevailed and the hyenas fled, not want=
ing
to risk a wound for a meal. As powerful as the churan was it still needed to
use its intellect as well as its natural abilities.=94

    =93But the hunter was still very strong, it couldn=92t have done that
otherwise.=94 Stealth countered.

    =93Perhaps, but it used its strength for an intelligent purpose, not br=
uit
force like some thug. We are not strong hunters but we are agile and
intelligent. We use them both.=94 Edmund answered and removed his digitigra=
de
boots, setting them on the mantle while his bare toes took in the warmth.

    =93I understand.=94 Stealth shrugged. =93I suppose that story was ficti=
on
though.=94

    =93Almost certainly or at best an exaggeration.=94 The paladin conceded,
=93But I like it and the message is an important one. Besides, you remind me
of the feline in that story. Churan were supposed to be the fastest alive
and you are the fastest cat I=92ve ever seen.=94

    Stealth raised an eye ridge, =93Ed they can=92t be fast AND strong!=94

    =93Stealth, it=92s a myth - in a myth they can do whatever I want them =
too.=94
He joked and turned back to watch the dancing flames.

    =93Is that the reason the creature in that story reminds you of me?=94
Stealth smiled, =93Don=92t know what I=92d do with a bunch of giant hyenas.=
=94

     Edmund shrugged. =93Everyone has fears but you are mastering yours.=94=
 He
was now toasty yet couldn=92t really drag himself away from the hearth=92s =
warm
embrace.

    The cheetah laughed out loud, =93Oh, stop. You have to drag me by the
scruff to get me anywhere.=94

    =93Did I really have to? You didn=92t put up much of a fight.=94 the pa=
ladin
answered and turned to face him again.

    =93Well you=92re very persistent and friendly!=94 Stealth joked, =93But=
 do I
really remind you of a creature like that?=94

    =93Yes you do!=94 Edmund answered. He reached for his boots and put them
back on, they were much warmer now.

    Stealth chuffed, =93Come on, you=92re due in Long House in half an hour=
.=94 He
said and got up. =93I need to head down to the sparing arenas.=94

    =93Actually...=94 Edmund began as he stood up, =93I would like you to a=
ttend
this meeting with Misha.=94

    Stealth flinched, =93Am I in trouble?=94

    =93No you=92re not in trouble but if you are going to help me with haun=
ted
woods you should attend. Misha has found a few maps of the forest he=92s
made.=94

    =93I... wasn=92t aware I was any help to you.=94 The feline blushed.

    =93You have helped me a lot!=94 Edmund explained. =93And like me you se=
em
fated to help the spirits.=94

    Stealth went wide eyed before composing himself, =93We=92ll see.=94

    He nodded and walked toward the door. =93You have truly helped me a lot
over these last few months.=94

    =93How=92s that?=94 Stealth asked in a bored tone.

    =93You have gone with me into the woods and your different perspective =
has
shown me things I would have never considered.=94

    The cheetah patted his friend on the shoulder, =93Come on, let=92s go.=
=94

    =93After you, Churan.=94 Edmund smiled.

    Stealth blinked and shook his head, stepping out into the cold hallway
with the odd paladin following behind.