[Mkguild] Dire Situation Part 1

Stealth stealthcat15 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 22:56:44 EDT 2009

I finished this like two months ago, it's been postponed for the sake of
continuity.

Dire Situation
Copyright (c) 2008-2009 Michael Nastov

    January 708 CR

    The animal thundered through the clearing. It=92s pointed hooves dug in=
the dirt as it zigzagged, gaining precious feet. The gazelle was as good as
safe then it slammed head on into a tree, the cheetah was on it in a moment
and baring its fangs into the animal=92s neck.

    Moments later a hyena approached. The scavenger encroached on the tired
cat, it was certain to steal the kill. The hyena was young and naive but its
powerful jaws were more then a match for the scrawny feline. The poor
cheetah would surly have to abandon the kill and try again when he=92s
regained some strength, but he didn=92t.

    The cheetah ran after the hyena to drive it away. Sometimes it works but
more often then not it ends with dire consequences. The hyena ran away at
first but it came back, the cheetah tried again but the hyena faced the
defender this time. It ran up to the feline and immediately bore it=92s fan=
gs
into it=92s neck, it bit hard, as hard as was needed to sever the feline=92s
head. The hyena gnawed with all it=92s might and then there was a =91crunch=
=92.

    The scavenger pulled away with blood oozing out of it=92s open maw. The
cheetah shook itself off with naught an injury to be seen. It pounced the
hyena, bit into it=92s neck and tore a chunk clean out.

    As the animal bled and became motionless a war horse trotted into the
clearing, the rider stopped close to the hunting cat and had a big grin on
his face.

    =93Good boy! Very good indeed!=94 The man said.

    The animal sat on its haunches and looked up at him. It had two kills
but it was very tired now.

    The man had armour befitting a nobleman. His breast plate had a symbol
marking him as a soldier in the Seuilman Empire. He climbed off his horse
and scratched the feline under the chin. The cheetah began to purr loudly.
It had on a gleaming gold and silver suit of armour with a glowing orb over
the breast. The armour didn=92t weigh the animal down one wit. It looked ve=
ry
nice save the small dents in the neck plates.

    The cheetah and the man, even the clearing they stood in soon faded from
view until all that was left was a clearing surrounded by redwoods and oaks
and covered in a thick blanket of snow.

    Edmund blinked and turned to face the shadow. =93The southlands?=94

    The shadow fox shook its head, =93His soul is trapped here as well, with
the rest.=94

    =93Then I will work to free him like the others.=94 The knight answered.

    =93So many take.=94 The shadow said, =93And they do not leave...  their=
 being
becomes as putrid as their respect.=94

    The paladin nodded slowly, =93Many are driven by greed.=94

    =93Treasures become putrid without respect...=94 He began to melt and s=
hift
into the form of a quadruped fox, =93...or purpose.=94 The shadow then faded
away, leaving Edmund alone with his thoughts.

    =91THUD=92

    =93Will says Hi, Misha.=94 The cheetah informed as he opened the backpa=
ck.

    The fox scout rubbed his paws together in glee and his tail wagged. The
feline courier unveiled several intricately decorated parts for a clock=92s
exterior and the components of metal figures.

    =93What are you making? Automated figures?=94 Stealth asked as he sat d=
own
in one of the chairs.

    =93Yup. They=92ll eat muffins to break fast, have a sword play at noon =
and
frolic as taurs at dusk.=94 Misha answered and collected the items, looking
over each one in turn.

    Stealth squinted at the unpainted figures. =93Oooh, it=92s you and Caro=
l.=94

    The fox grinned, =93Yup! But don=92t tell her, actually don=92t tell an=
yone.
You=92re the only other who knows besides Will.=94 He said in a whisper.

    The cat leaned in close, =93Oh,=94 He too whispered, =93Your secret is =
safe
with me.=94 He looked back to the door to make sure it was still closed. He=
=92d
wondered why =96 specifically =96 Misha told him to close it behind him.

    =93Well, good luck with that.=94 Stealth grunted as he hefted himself u=
p.
=93Before I left, Ed wanted to show me something.=94

    =93Oh?=94 The fox asked without looking away from his figures, =93He to=
ld me
too, but is it really wise to head there at this time of year?=94

    =93Why not? I=92m protected from the weather now.=94

    Misha looked away from one of the Caroline figures, =93It=92s not the k=
ind
of place I want people travelling to, least of all in bad weather. If I
didn=92t trust Edmund=92s judgment I wouldn=92t have let him head off there=
.=94

    =93Me either but I told Ed I=92d be there and he knows what he=92s doin=
g.=94 The
truth was Stealth did not trust Edmund=92s judgement as the Long scout did =
but
he didn=92t need to think about that now and dash the remains of his
confidence.

    =93I still think he could have waited for you to return from the lower
ward... I don=92t see what the rush is.=94 Misha said as he began to collec=
t the
parts up again.

    =93No rush but he makes the journey alone all the time, apparently. And
this is no different then my other runs.=94

    =93All right. Take care out there, Spots.=94

    =93I will.=94 The cheetah gave a basic farewell hand gesture and opened=
 the
door, =93Later, foxtaur.=94

    Stealth ploughed through the snow at full speed (in short bursts). He
felt angst at the amount of ground he had to make up but he=92d get there
eventually, he always got from point A to point B... except for that time in
September the year past.

    The feline snarled to himself. =91Bloody thieves=92, he grumbled. After=
brief daydream of tearing open that pig, the cheetah began to feel better.
He stoped yet again and sat on his haunches. While catching his breath, the
feline caught a scent of several different species and sighted some thickly
bundled keepers chatting in a group several hundred yards to the north east.

    Stealth returned to his paws and crouched low as he snuck toward them.
He=92d been training in these skills for so long now, why not put them to t=
he
test? The cheetah crept along a snow bank flanking the group of keepers.
They were probably a patrol stoped for a break to gossip or something.

    So far so good; they didn=92t know the animal was there unless they were
just ignoring him. Anyway they continued in their banter, Stealth tilted his
head and ears to get a good listen.

    =93We=92ll head north and to the east. We can make good time.=94

    They were discussing their patrol rout. Nothing juicy there...

    =93I want to intercept the quarry at the foot of the woods near
Mycransburg, have archers at the ready and flank the target.=94

    =91Ooh, they=92re ambushing lutins.=92 Stealth thought to himself with =
renewed
interest.

    =93When you see the cheetah, kill him; kill him as fast as you can and
make sure he=92s dead.=94

    Stealth went as pale as the snow he perched on.

    =93My people observed him leave the keep and we should catch him on the
rim of the woods.=94 Another voice chipped in.

    =93Then we can loot the woods, yeah?=94 Another voice asked.

    =93If he=92s out of the way, yeah!=94 A scraggily voice answered.

    =93That knight goes in there whenever he wants and comes out again...
alive. He must be controlling the demon of the woods, kill him and we have
free reign over it.=94 The first voice agreed. =93Now move off.=94

    Stealth trembled and shuddered as he heard their horses galloping away.

    =91Oh gods! Ed!=92 He bolted faster then he=92d ever run before.

    Eyes wide with fear and adrenalin, Stealth strained to run faster then
he could but his body had its limits. At least when he was forced to time
out, he had plenty of cold snow to crash in and cool off. After his first
=91crash=92, Stealth abandoned his backpack along with all his camping gear,
weapons and trail rations. Though valuable in its own right, the pack=92s
contents were expendable and heavy. His bow and quiver stubbornly did not
give from his harness and flailed about in the wind as he ran.

    The cheetah ran north and slightly to the west; he ran on a slight
b-line to the Haunted Woods, hoping to avoid the assassins but reach Edmund
in time. As the feline ran, his connection to reality began to wain. His
vision became more of a tunnel and the world slowed down, sounds dimmed and
he lost track of time. He could only hear his breathing and heart beat.

    More alarmingly he began to feel hot, very hot, internally. Like a
fever, a burning heat swelled within and radiated out. Every part of his
being began to burn. The animal eventually blocked out everything, not quite
feral but rather in a dream state. Out of the pain and confusion, Stealth
recognised his quarry and before he knew what was happening, he leapt.

    Edmund felt a terrible weight crash into his back. The paladin fell
underneath an animal and into a ditch. Not a moment more he heard a score of
arrows strike the cheetah who protectively perched on top of him. Through
the confusion, Edmund feared the worst as he heard his friend grunt in pain,
then collapse next to him.

    The knight gasped for breath when he saw the animal still moving. Edmund
never felt more relieved and grateful to see that harebrained armour.

    =93Stealth, can you hear me?=94

    The animal just trembled and panted feverishly in response. Ed could
tell he was thoroughly exhausted from a dead run and currently of no use to
anyone, not even himself.

    =93We can=92t stay here.=94 So saying he picked up the other cheetah and
dragged him through the ditch to lower ground where his stallion tried to
graze on grasses buried in the snow. Edmund put the animal on the horse=92s
back and led it quickly towards the haunted woods where he hoped their
attackers would halt in their steps.

    When they entered in far enough that the paladin was satisfied, he tied
up his mount to a branch and eased the feline down off its back. Edmund
placed the cat down on the snow and saw that his eyes were still clenched
shut and his whole body trembled.

    Edmund put his hand to the cheetah=92s forehead and felt a burning heat.
The knight promptly removed Stealth=92s armour suit and liberally spread a
good chunk of snow over his head and body. Edmund left the animal for a
moment and returned to his horse, reaching for his canteen.

    He rushed straight back, leaned down and tilted the cat=92s head up,
=93Here, drink this.=94 He said and poured the ice cold water down Stealth=
=92s
throat, hoping he wouldn=92t inhale it during his fevered panting. The liqu=
id
streamed down Stealth=92s muzzle and neck, much of it welled on the snow wh=
ich
then began to melt. Some gathered on his armour and insulation =96 the latt=
er
becoming soaked.

    The cheetah greedily lapped up as much water as he could while Edmund
continued to spread snow over his forehead. Eventually his brow cooled and
his rate of breathing slowed.

    =93Th, th, Thank you.=94 The animal whispered.

    The paladin blinked, =93Stealth, you can talk?=94

    The cheetah nodded and tried to sit up but the knight held him down.

    =93No, rest for a few minutes.=94

    Stealth nodded tiredly and lay there unmoving. Eventually heat turned to
chill and he much preferred to stand, still, his friend helped him to his
four legs.

    =93Are you okay?=94

    =93Ooh, dizzy... nauseas.=94 He answered and staggered on his legs befo=
re
falling back into the snow. =93Everything aches.=94

    Edmund placed his hands on the cheetah=92s flank and whispered some wor=
ds
in a strange language. Stealth gasped and tried to move but he couldn=92t e=
ven
squirm for the life of him.

    =93What did you do?=94 The feline asked tiredly.

    =93I healed your muscles. You still need much more rest but your injuri=
es
have been healed.=94 Edmund answered and swayed slightly... =93How do you f=
eel
now?=94

    =93I=92m fine. Thanks again.=94 The animal said.

    =93Thank YOU; you saved my life, Stealth.=94 Edmund pat the feline on h=
is
slanted shoulder. =93But how did you know I=92d come under attack? Who are =
those
people and how is it you can talk in this form?=94

    =93Slow down.=94 Stealth ordered as he tried to stand and swayed about =
until
Edmund held him still. =93I overheard them on the way up. These people have
been trying to thwart the shadow for years... they think you control it or
something.=94 He swallowed a knot in his throat, =93I ran as fast and as lo=
ng as
I could to get here in time... I hope I didn=92t do any permanent damage to
myself.=94 The quadruped said in trepidation.

    =93Relax; I=92m sure I cooled you off just in time.=94 The paladin assu=
red.
=93How does your chest feel?=94

    The cheetah shook its head, =93Nothing broken, it just aches but I thin=
k I
can run again now after whatever you did.=94 He sat on his haunches in the
snow and tried to ignore the sting in his paws.

    Edmund nodded, =93Good, but I won=92t be satisfied till we get back to =
the
keep.=94

    =93That will be difficult. Those people are quite determined that you c=
an
unlock these woods, they are... gonna be keeping a look out.=94

    =93They can=92t possibly patrol the entire rim of the woods.=94 The kni=
ght
countered, =93If need be we can run in full form toward the northern outpos=
t.=94

    =93I don=92t like our chances.=94 He looked up at the paladin, =93Ed, I=
=92m sorry
but it gets rocky here... those people are Metamorians. They can blend in
with the local patrols. They could even BE the local patrols and we can=92t
send any message out.=94

    Edmund hid his gasp, =93How do you know they=92re locals?=94

    =93I don=92t but I saw their faces, trust me. If we stay here long enou=
gh
and George knows something is up, those bandits may very well be the people
he calls on to search for us.=94 Stealth yawned loudly and flopped down on =
his
side.

    =93No, George will send his own people, besides it=92s highly unlikely =
that
anyone who=92s called on to help us is corrupted.=94 Edmund countered. He
returned to his horse again and looked through the saddlebag for one of
several maps of the area he had on hand.

    =93Maybe, unless he=92s tied up with more important things.=94 The chee=
tah
sighed, =93I just think we should be mindful.=94

    =93Aye, but optimistic.=94 The knight mumbled as he looked over one of =
the
more detailed maps. It was covered in his notes and scribbling. =93You never
answered my question, though. How is it that you can talk in that form?=94

    =93Why it=92s this amulet hanging from my neck.=94 He motioned down bet=
ween
his forelegs. =93I got it cheap because it was made by an apprentice mage.=
=94

    Edmund folded the map up again, =93an apprentice? Such a spell must be
quite complex and difficult to fashion.=94

    =93No, Ed, It=92s a simple spell that makes it far easier for me to chi=
rp.=94

    The paladin raised an eye ridge.

    =93Churrrrr, yip, rawr...=94 The animal paused for a moment, =93...Okay=
, It
has problems.=94

    =93I suppose it is much more affective; you can now work as a messenger,
if you have a good memory.=94

    =93Perhaps, though I wouldn=92t be a match for Kee. Besides I don=92t r=
eally
fancy running about the keep like this.=94 Stealth forced himself back to h=
is
legs and moved about on his four paws to return warmth to them. =93Now, you
wanted to show me something?=94

    The paladin nodded, =93I believe there is something here we can use, the
shadow will allow us to retrieve it but we must find it first.=94

    Stealth sat down on his haunches, =93Do you know where it is...
approximately?=94

    =93No idea, actually. But I believe the shadow gave me a clue.=94 He
admitted...

    The animal yawned, =93I see, you mean you=92re making an educated and
optimistic guess at his words and the location of this thing, whatever it
is. Right?=94

    =93I told you I=92ve been searching these ruins for a long time. I don=
=92t
think it will hurt you to have a little faith in me.=94 Said the paladin and
poked the cheetah=92s nose.

    Stealth feigned biting Edmund=92s finger, =93I do, Ed, I=92m sorry. It=
=92s just
that I=92m not a =91yes man=92. I prefer to tell you what I think, even if =
it
means we argue, instead of just pretending to agree.=94

    =93All right, but I=92d prefer we don=92t contradict each other too muc=
h; it
won=92t do to argue for the sake of arguing.=94 Edmund answered while looki=
ng
through his saddlebag.

    =93Not in this weather, anyway.=94 Stealth agreed. =93Now what=92s this=
 clue?=94

    =93An avid hunter and his tools.=94 The knight answered as he unfolded
another map. =93The only place where we obtained something similar was in t=
hat
cellar, do you remember?=94

    =93Aye, that town with the nice, little brothel.=94 The cat answered. He
almost seemed to grin despite the primitive features.

    Edmund rubbed his nose bridge as the animal literally chirped in
laughter.

    =93Anyway we=92d best get moving there quickly, on the way wrrrrrrr, ch=
irp.=94
Stealth clenched his eyes shut while Edmund waited patently. =93On the way
there we=92ll figure out how to deal with the little problem in leaving.=94

    =93Agreed, for now I believe we can acquire ourselves an advantage.=94 =
He
walked back over to the quadruped that=92d begun pacing back and forth on t=
he
spot for warmth since cooling off. Edmund pointed a claw at a point on the
map, =93we=92re not far; if my bearings are right then I can find some land=
marks
that will lead us to the main road.=94

    =93Good, now we just Rawrrr... rrrrrr... rrr!=94

    Edmund snickered at the frustrated feline. Stealth looked up; he ran
around Edmund=92s back and bit the paladin=92s tail.

    =93Oww, okay, we=92d better head off now.=94 The knight said and follow=
ed with
some more snickering.

    =93Yes, but I am getting very cold now. Do me a favour, my armour suit =
is
warm, you know how to put it back on, right?=94 Stealth asked and bat the
paladin=92s swaying tail out of his face.

    =93I=92ve done it once and it wasn=92t too hard. I=92ll give it a try.=
=94 Edmund
answered and assembled the parts.

    After a few minutes, the full form cheetah was once again armoured and
warm. He soon shifted to his morph form for the first time since that
morning and donned some of Edmund=92s offered clothes.

    =93That doesn=92t look too comfortable.=94 Edmund observed as he held t=
he
horse close. =93several plates on your right flank are dented; they must be
digging into your skin.=94

    =93It isn=92t comfortable and they are digging in but it=92s warm.=94 H=
e paused
for a moment and looked at his steel coated feet, =93I didn=92t even think =
about
bringing a horse and it=92s too cold to be a taur.=94

    =93Then don=92t linger and hop on.=94 Edmund answered and hefted Stealt=
h in
his arms.

    Stealth blushed shyly, =93Thanks.=94 He said as he was gently placed on=
 the
horse. =93Sorry to be a bother.=94

    =93A bother? You saved me from a volley of arrows.=94 The knight remind=
ed.

    =93It means nothing if we don=92t make it out.=94 Stealth mumbled into =
Ed=92s
back.

    =93Think positive.=94 The paladin ordered, =93And it means something to=
 me.=94

    Stealth snoozed into Edmund=92s shoulder. The knight didn=92t interrupt=
 him;
he thought his friend would need a good night=92s sleep or several to recov=
er
from his harrowing run. After some time on the path, Stealth finally began
to blink awake and yawned.

    =93Are you alright?=94 Edmund asked softly.

    Stealth yawned some more, =93I feel tired and weak.=94

    =93We=92re almost there. You=92ll feel better after eating lunch.=94

    Stealth yawned again and rubbed his eyes. =93Some good, red meat sounds
good right now but I abandoned my backpack and everything in it to get here
in time.=94

    =93I brought plenty of rations and if need be I=92ll hunt a hare or two=
.=94

    =93Thanks.=94 Stealth answered and yawned again, he just couldn=92t stop
yawning... =93A nice, warm bed... That=92s what I need. I want one to appear
right now.=94

    Edmund didn=92t say anything but shook his head and rubbed Stealth=92s =
head
fur.

    The cheetah drifted in and out of sleep as they rode. Edmund held his
wrist to keep him from sliding off as they progressed. Since everything was
covered in snow the paladin had to look for landmarks to find his way and
he=92d long since grown accustom to the many sights of the woods.

    Stealth eventually stirred again, =93So what else will we be seeing?=94

    =93There is no need to travel elsewhere, out time will be occupied by t=
he
hamlet we scanned last time.=94

    =93What? We=92re only going back to the brothel town?=94

    =93Please stop calling it that.=94

    =93But when will I see the capital?=94

    =93Stealth, we=92re not tourists. And I don=92t want you to see Camulud=
unum at
night.=94

    Stealth blinked tiredly, =93Camuludunumununumunum...?=94

    =93Camuludunum.=94 Edmund corrected.

    =93Camdulumulum, phffffft!=94 Stealth yawned and went back to sleep.

    Edmund rolled his eyes and continued to look forward to the snowed-in
path. A shiver ran through his spine and tail at the memory of what he
sensed that morning. Just before his life was saved he felt something
unsettling. Something worse then a bunch of bandits...

    Currently they were in a bad way. Stealth was completely exhausted and
his armour sustained damage that all but rendered it useless in flight, also
all of his equipment had been abandoned. Edmund only had so many rations and
blankets for any long term stay, he didn=92t know the northern reaches as w=
ell
as their pursuers, perhaps not even the Haunted woods as well as them and
they were completely outnumbered, out armed and out flanked.

    The paladin blocked the thought from his mind and focused on the
positive. Stealth would recover, their attackers failed once already and the
Shadow had a gift for them. Edmund knew they would prevail. He thought of
returning to the warmth of the Keep, he thought of his soldiers, he thought
of Eli and he thought of Bridgette.

    Edmund began to warm up and he smiled. They would get through this yet.