[Mkguild] Dire Situation Part 2

Stealth stealthcat15 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 22:58:32 EDT 2009

Part 2, stuff begins to happen

=93Wake up... come on, wake up!=94

    =93Churrrr...=94

    =93Wake up. The weather is to cold to stay asleep.=94 Edmund said in a =
loud
voice.

    =93Just a few more minutes, just to have a lie down.=94 The cheetah
answered. He lay sprawled on the stallion=92s back in what looked to be a m=
ost
uncomfortable position.

    =93But Stealth, we=92re here! I know you need rest but you need to be a=
wake
for this.=94 Edmund answered and lifted him off the horse, onto the snow.

    Stealth used the opportunity to stretch. He stretched long and wide to
the point that would make felines everywhere proud. He stretched so far that
his legs became digitigrade until his muscles relaxed again. The cheetah
yawned loudly and forced himself to sit up.

    =93Are you ready now?=94 Edmund sighed as he stood near the entrance to=
 the
ruins with a backpack slung over his shoulder.

    He closed his eyes and shifted into a slightly more animal-like form.
=93...now I am.=94 Stealth finally stood up and brushed himself off. He app=
eared
as a morph though now with digitgrade legs that fit into the suit much
easier in its damaged state.

    =93Follow me and be mindful of where you step.=94 The paladin ordered a=
nd
continued to watch him, =93Stick close.=94

    =93I=92m not drunk.=94 Stealth rolled his eyes and walked past the knig=
ht.

    =93I don=92t know how worn you are and I don=92t want you hurting yours=
elf.=94

    As the feline walked ahead of Edmund, the knight saw that in addition to
having foot paws, Stealth=92s entire frame was far more animalistic, almost
halfway between a morph and a beast. He could probably run on all fours if
he wanted. His body was still humanoid enough for the clothes to be worn yet
animal enough for the dented armour to fit much easier.

    =93I=92m fine, it was hours ago. Let=92s just find this thing.=94 He sw=
ayed
slightly but it might have been due to his current midway form.

    Edmund caught up and grabbed the cheetah=92s wrist, leading him onward
like a child.

    Stealth rolled his eyes, =93I=92m not that tired.=94

    =93Sorry, but I don=92t want to risk you falling into a dark hole.=94 E=
dmund
said and insistently led the disgruntled feline along.

    =93The bandits would be having a good laugh if they saw this.=94

    =93If they did they wouldn=92t live long to do so. The Shadow will see =
that.=94 Edmund countered and led his friend around a large branch.

    =93I think they understand that; they=92re lurking outside the woods, o=
ut of
harms way...=94

    Edmund grimaced. The Shadow fox, as mysterious and powerful a creature
he was, could do absolutely nothing to help them. They were on their own.
=93So tell me about your suit.=94 The cheetah knight said to lighten their
moods, =93Has any more work been done to it?=94

    =93It=92s always being modified.=94 Stealth sighed, =93It works well wi=
th my
strides but it=92s working lifespan is abysmal. It needs maintenance after
every run and minor repairs. They try to tweak things each time to make it
more enduring.=94 He squirmed in his armour a bit, =93It will need plenty m=
ore
work when we return.=94

    =93I see... well, only two more months till the snows melt.=94

    Stealth glared at him for a moment. =93The weather will be warm but what
then? I=92ll be vulnerable again but I don=92t want to wear this thing in
summer.=94

    =93By then you=92ll be a much better fighter.=94 Edmund offered. He sto=
ped for
a moment to get his bearings... everything looked different in winter. The
knight eventually found some faint signs of what he was after, =93This way.=
=94

    =93There is one thing I want to try with this thing...=94 Stealth began=
. He
almost fell in the snow and contemplated just shifting to his animal form
again.

    =93Oh?=94 Edmund grunted as he weaved past some low hanging branches.

    =93Taur armour.=94

    =93Taur armour? Misha=92s suggestion I take it?=94 With a slight alarm,=
 Edmund
realised the cellar had nothing to mark its location, he had to rely on the
closest still standing structure...

    =93He did mention the idea but we just can=92t get it to work; my body
retains almost the same mass in either of my forms, but my taur body is
three times that and there is no way to spawn more fabric and metal to cover
it.=94 The cheetah groaned, =93Also, seeing as my =91hind legs=92 double up=
 when I
become a taur, that=92s two more limbs to build around...=94

    =93That=92s too bad but I wouldn=92t worry about it. If you don=92t fin=
d a way
around it then you don=92t.=94

    =93Like the curse?=94 Stealth asked and noticed they had stopped moving.

    =93Aye. Don=92t be hindered or plagued by it.=94 Edmund answered as he =
looked
around in vain.

    =93We=92re lost...=94

    =93...Everything looks different since we were last here.=94 The paladin
pointed out and sighed to himself.

    Stealth closed his eyes for a moment then opened them slowly, =93That
way.=94

    Edmund looked down at him with a questioning glance.

    Stealth just looked at him with a bored expression then he motioned with
his nose the direction of their north west. He didn=92t speak but just
continued to look at Ed.

    Edmund nodded slowly then walked in that direction. Moments later they
found a dark hole with some snow peeking up, to the side a small slope led
down into the cavity. The knight realised them to be the stairs they=92d us=
ed,
currently covered in snow.

    =93Good work! You have a good memory.=94

    The cheetah shook his head, =93Nope, I can=92t remember much of where we
went.=94

    =93Then how did you know?=94

    Stealth remained silent for a moment, =93I don=92t know.=94

    Edmund nodded and looked at the stairs. They looked more like a bumpy
slope and he contemplated clearing it with his sword. The cheetah searched
for his witch light, after saying the incantation, he threw the small stone
into the cellar which reflected off the snow and ice, illuminating a great
deal of it.

    =93I=92ll go first.=94 Stealth said and removed his clothing, handing t=
hem to
Edmund so he could shift fully.

    The cheetah bounded down with little difficulty and came to perch on a
fairly large mound of snow that gathered through the hole in the roof. From
the bottom Stealth pawed at the snow from one step to the next and slowly
headed up until the stairway had been cleared.

    From the last steps before ground level the animal bowed low and moved
his paw over his chest, =93The stairway is ready, milord, but I was unable =
locate a red carpet.=94

    Edmund rolled his eyes and waited. Stealth stuck out his tongue and
lithely turned, scampering back down the stairs. In the cellar, the paladin
looked about and recalled his illuminating stone. The room looked as he
recalled it albeit with a pile of snow in the centre. Now that he thought of
it, the walls around the room close to the floor as well as the floor itself
showed the signs of centauries of water damage. It was slowly eating away at
the stone and returning it to earth.

    =93What now? You said something about tools?=94 Stealth yawned again. He
almost instinctively groomed his fore leg then caught himself and gagged =
=96
not because of the beast like action but he=92d almost groomed metal.

    =93The tools of a hunter.=94 Edmund corrected and folded the clothing,
placing them on a large stone near the steps. =93I believe it is armour much
like yours.=94

    =93Armour like mine? I don=92t need any more armour or insulation, perh=
aps
it=92s meant for you.=94 Stealth scratched at his left ear with a steel-cla=
wed
foot paw.

    =93It is not meant for me. I can=92t explain why.=94 Edmund said simply.

    =93You paladins aren=92t much on material items.=94 Stealth joked, =93W=
ell,
let=92s start looking.=94

    The cheetahs scanned the room with their eyes and noses. They never took
liberties by moving fragments in the room to get a better look into places
though they so yearned to. Using his smaller and more agile form, the
courier squeezed into tight spots to look around and then bolt back out,
rush up the stairs and clear out his nose... A half hour later Stealth
flopped on his side.

    =93Ed, there=92s nothing in here.=94 He said through a cloth. At one po=
int
Edmund created makeshift masks to ward off the dust, he had to tie Stealth=
=92s
around his muzzle for him.

    Edmund stoped looking too and closed his eyes. He began to ponder to
himself, occasionally his ears flicked slightly.

    =93Ed? Ed this cellar must be a distraction; we must have made a
mistake... Ed?=94

    =93Close your eyes.=94 The paladin ordered and didn=92t open his. =93Re=
lax your
senses.=94

    The feline looked down for a moment then closed his eyes and took a deep
breath. =93Up... it=92s up there.=94 He said and pointed a paw to a corner =
of what
remained of the ceiling.

    Edmund nodded and walked in the direction, near where the stairs
terminated.

    =93What happened? Did you do that?=94 Stealth asked, a little afraid.

    =93No, while I can sense certain things it does not pass on to those
around me.=94 Edmund peered into a small cavity and then picked up the anim=
al
(much to his surprise) so he too could get a good look. =93You found this j=
ust
as you found the cellar.=94

    Inside the cavity they could see a dim bronze-like metal. Edmund shone
his stone over the gap to get it better illuminated though he could scarcely
see the object and keep it illuminated through the hole at the same time.
=93There was light coming from the corner.=94

    =93I saw it.=94 Stealth flailed a bit to be set back down.

    Edmund put him down and watched the cheetah nip at a latch near his
shoulder to drop his armour. The animal then deftly winded his way through
some of the still standing remains of an old wall and then squeezed through
a hole in another wall. Edmund kept the glowing stone in the gap, casting
himself into darkness as a result.

    =93Ed, I see it now...=94 Stealth called out.

    He could see an armour suit propped on a stand in the middle of the
cavity. He could not tell in his current form what exactly its pallet
consisted of but assumed that it was silver and perhaps bronze. There wasn=
=92t
much in the way of a helmet but the hands and feet (what was left of them)
were covered in large claws and there looked to be something of a tail in
pieces on the ground.

    The animal gagged at the condition of the suit; large parts had crumbled
away and most of it was coated in dust and dirt. =93It=92s trash; it probab=
ly
had no magical warding.=94

    Edmund grimaced, =93Ok, what else can you see?=94 He asked as he tried =
balance on the icy steps.

    =93Nothing but there=92s anorrr, chirr... another panel above me...=94 =
He
sighed and cursed softly. =93If there=92s anything up there I can=92t get t=
o it
from here.=94

    =93All right, get out of there and head back up.=94 The paladin ordered=
 and
recalled the light stone. The cavity Stealth occupied was swallowed up in
darkness again but he could see the way out now.

    It was harder getting out then getting in... The cheetah squeezed
through, reminding himself that if he got stuck Edmund couldn=92t help him =
as
more rubble blocked the way. With great relief he got through the small hole
and carefully walked back to where Edmund waited for him.

    =93Chirp! Could you help me with the suit? I=92m freezing!=94 Stealth s=
aid and
shook himself free of dust and dirt.

    The knight carefully reattached his armour suit, after his friend
shifted Edmund handed him the discarded clothing.

    =93Ed, we must have been mistaken, this isn=92t the right place.=94 Ste=
alth
said as he put on the breeches.

    The paladin shook his head, =93No this is what we=92re looking for.=94 =
He
shifted a large stone revealing more of the remains to the light.

    =93Are you sure that=92s it?=94 Stealth asked.

    Edmund reached his arm in further and brushed away the dirt, revealing
more of the gold and silver plate. =93Many suits are based on animal forms;=
 it
could be armour for a man made to give him the appearance of a large cat.=
=94
He shrugged.

    =93So what do you want to do? We can=92t use that; it=92s scrap metal.=
=94

    =93We can not reach it from here and you said there is another panel,
correct?=94 Edmund asked and recalled his arm. =93We may need to excavate.=
=94

    Stealth=92s eyes widened, =93Wait, first you told me not to touch anyth=
ing
then told me to take the dagger and now we=92re desecrating the ruins?!=94

    =93We are desecrating nothing! We=92ll put everything back!=94

    =93How the hell can we even try to dig anything out? We have no tools a=
nd
we are not miners.=94 The armoured feline countered.

    =93We will dig away the earth at ground level and remove a stone panel.=
=94
The paladin answered after scratching his chin for a moment, =93There are
plenty of fallen tomb robbers in these woods and they have many shovels and
crowbars to spare.=94

    Stealth clenched his muzzle in his paws, =93Aye, many people came here
with digging implements and they all died horribly!=94

    =93I told you, we are not thieves!=94 The knight answered harshly.

    The courier sighed and looked at the ruined armour, =93You want to dig
through permafrost, just us two, for that.=94

    =93You don=92t have to.=94 Edmund said softly.

    =93No, I=92ll help you... I just hope it=92s worth it.=94 Stealth unshe=
athed a
dagger.

    He had three daggers, a standard Metamorian scouting weapon, a prized
treasure given to him by Oberon and the smallest of the three =96 a dagger =
he
retrieved from this very cellar. The three daggers along with his bow and
quiver were the only items he had left, everything else had been in his
backpack but the daggers were sheathed away on his armour suit while the bow
and arrows were tied down.

    The cheetah reached his arm through the widened hole with the golden
dagger in hand. He gently began to brush away more dirt and dust from the
metal. He revealed something that appeared to be made of glass, as the
dagger removed enough dirt from it=92s surface the glass began to glow.

    =93Huh, look at that.=94 Stealth commented and pointed his armoured cla=
w at
it.

     The paladin nosed his muzzle past Stealth=92s arm and tried to get a
proper look, =93There is still some residual mana in this suit; it=92s fall=
en
apart and corroded in many spots but for the most part it=92s kept it safe
from the affects of time.=94 Edmund commented and scanned it.

    Stealth ran his fingers along the gold, when he took back his hand from
the hole the gold went with it, stretching and clinging like molten cheese.
=93Now what=92s this?=94 He asked with some trepidation but mostly irritati=
on.

    =93Here, let me-=94 Edmund began but no sooner had he said it the gold =
and
silver began to ooze and suck its way through the gap. As it sloshed through
and out of the cavity it spread over Stealth=92s armoured hand and wrist as=
large blob.

    Stealth jumped back and fell into the snow pile. The oozing, ancient
blob-armour continued to suck its way through the hole and went with him.
The cheetah screamed in terror as the liquid-metal slithered in between the
gaps in his clothing and coursed over his body, fussing itself to the
cheetah.

    =93STEALTH!=94 Edmund began trying to pull chunks of the gold and silver
free but the metal flowed easily through his fingers and back onto his
friend. =93It=92s almost like it=92s alive!=94 Edmund gasped.

    =93ED! HELP!!!=94 Stealth cried out and clawed at himself with hands now
covered in the new-old armour. The cheetah shifted into full form to
dislodge the cursed armour and free himself as his armour suit was designed
to detach itself in full form.

    The animal squirmed on the ground in ill fitting, human clothing but the
suit wouldn=92t relinquish it=92s grip, and then it=92s shift was finished.

    =93Stealth, are you alright?=94 Edmund asked softly.

    =93That thing is gonna suck my life out!!!!!!!!!!!!=94 The cheetah scre=
amed
to the forest above, =93Take it off! Take it off!! Take it off!!!=94

    =93Relax Stealth,=94 Edmund ordered. =93No one is hurting you. Hold sti=
ll!=94

    Stealth involuntarily ignored him and continued to squirm as Edmund
removed his shirt and tried to find the old latch but the armour had
transformed itself completely leaving no hint to the old failsafe.

    Stealth then bolted up the stairs and ran into the snow in a panic. He
ran about on the spot, squirming, flailing and rolling about until
eventually he got tired and collapsed. Edmund approached him slowly and
looked down at the panting cheetah at his feet.

    =93Please take it off, I don=92t want it. Don=92t let the Shadow kill m=
e,
please.=94 The animal whimpered.

    =93Relax, my friend. I told you the Shadow himself told me of this, it=
=92s a
gift.=94 Edmund offered as he resumed looking for the latch.

    =93But... but I like my old armour, I don=92t want to be stuck in this.=
=94

    =93You won=92t be stuck; we just need to learn how to remove it...=94 T=
hus
far, the paladin was stumped but he wouldn=92t tell Stealth that, at least
wait till the flighty feline calmed down a notch.

    =93Try to stand up, have a walk around.=94 Edmund suggested.

    =93But aren=92t you going to remove it?=94 The cheetah asked in a loud =
voice.

    =93I will, but try to walk around in it first, just to try it.=94 The
paladin answered.

    =93I know,=94 Said the cheetah, =93I=92ll force it off.=94 He closed hi=
s eyes and
his pants soon tore away as his hind legs began to divide. Stealth=92s front
rose off the ground as two extra legs propped him up. When the feline opened
his eyes his full colour vision was restored. He looked himself over and
found his large, cheetah taur body along with his human half were both
armoured...

    The taur dived to the ground and rolled about on his taur-back in a
panic, straining to pull the plaiting off but it wouldn=92t relinquish its
grip.

    Edmund patently approached him and placed a hand on the taur=92s chest,=
 in
between his forelegs. =93My mentor once told me if you struggle in quicksand
you=92ll only sink faster.=94

    Stealth snorted and turned about, climbing back to his paws. He trotted
to the other side of the clearing, then turned around and ran to the other
side. He began to cool off and relax then came to a halt and sat on his
haunches before the knight.

    =93Feel better?=94

    The taur shook his head and said nothing.

    =93Well, I=92m sorry but its important not to jump to conclusions, don=
=92t
give up.=94 Edmund said softly.

    Stealth reached his hands to his face but then saw the large, steel
claws and put them back down by his sides. =93I=92m sorry, Ed. I=92m just r=
eally
shook up right now. Everything that=92s happened today has been... difficult
to say the least.=94

    =93I understand, just take a deep breath and relax.=94 The paladin said
soothingly, =93Tell me this, aren=92t you warm? It=92s a very cold day. That
armour looks very warm.=94

    Stealth nodded, =93It is but right now I=92d rather tear it off and jump
into ice water.=94 He sighed softly, =93I should be more exposed as a morph,
maybe then I can cool off.=94

    The cheetah taur clenched his eyes shut and began to shift again, but
the suit had other ideas... Stealth=92s upper body armour moved fluidly but
the plates covering his taur body refused to budge. Stealth knew there was a
problem, he panicked and tried to shift back to taur form but his body did
not obey.

    After shifting between forms almost on a daily basis since becoming
cursed, suddenly, just like when first being cursed, he could not control
his change. The cheetah=92s upper body melted into that of his lower body, =
his
arms merged with his forelegs and the new armour melted into place.

    When Stealth opened his eyes he looked down and saw he was closer to the
ground however he still stood higher then he would in full form.

    =93Ed... what happened, what am I?=94 At least his amulet was still
working...

    The paladin looked him over, =93You have the form of a full cheetah but=
you=92re huge.=94

    Stealth blinked, =93I=92m still in my taur body aren=92t I?=94 The cat =
sat on
its haunches in front of Edmund. Not as tall as a taur but still taller then
as a regular cheetah.

    Edmund nodded, =93You=92re three times bigger then a real cheetah.=94

    Stealth looked at him with a mix of fear and pride in his eyes, =93...I=
=92m
a dire cheetah.=94

    =93A dire cheetah...=94 Edmund repeated as he looked over the form. Ste=
alth
was essentially in taur form without the upper body; he was a very large
animal and could probably do significant damage to an opponent.

    For the first time Edmund finally noticed how his new armour appeared.
The chest and inner leg plates were silver, everything else looked to be
gold. Strangely, the dire animal was covered in large, black splodges but
not those of a cheetah=92s pelt; they formed a marble pattern which termina=
ted
as stripes running vertically down his tail.

    =93Stealth, you look like a dire king cheetah.=94

    =93A what?=94 The large animal asked and tilted its head.

    =93King cheetahs are a rare breed of cheetah, they are covered in marble
instead of spots. Some scholars believe them to be the result of recessive
blood.=94

    Stealth blinked, =93What happened? The suit was trash...=94

    Edmund shrugged and scratched his chin, =93Perhaps it merged and
transformed your armour, taking what it needed to rebuilt itself.=94

    The giant cheetah stood up and turned to look over his form, =93Am I st=
uck
like this? I was trying to become a morph again.=94

    =93An accident. The magic of the armour interfering with your changing
shape.=94 The knight paused as he looked over the form, =93Or perhaps the s=
uit
wanted to show you this form. Try changing again now that the magic seems to
have stabilised.=94

    The dire cheetah nodded and closed it=92s eyes. His forelegs began to
divide, spawning humanoid arms while his hind legs began to merge into the
forelegs. The animal=92s rump and adjoining armour shrank and melted while =
his
chest rose with his arms. A cheetah morph fell forward, exhausted.

    =93Are you alright?=94 Edmund asked as he helped his friend into a knee=
ling
position.

    Stealth laughed tiredly, =93I was a dire cheetah... wait till I teach t=
hat
trick to Misha.=94

------------------------------------

    After a few minutes spent recuperating, Stealth consciously looked down
between his legs and was relived to see a large silver plate covering his
loins. On further inspection he saw that the suit still had many breaches,
usually where parts connected up but for the most part it was a decent (and
light) suit of armour.

    =93So now what?=94 Stealth asked.

    Edmund thought for a moment and looked toward the cellar...

    Stealth and Edmund spent some time clearing out the cellar of snow and
much more time locating discarded wood to build a fire.

    =93You sure we should be doing this?=94 The armoured cat asked as he dr=
agged
a particularly large log.