[Mkguild] Dire Situation Part 4

Kamau jc2blion at taconic.net
Thu Mar 19 18:03:27 EDT 2009

A good story Stealth.  A few places with there were typos and wrong word
(here rather then hear) but all I'm sure would be caught on a final edit.

Some good points that have come up are the balance of the dire form.
One thing I would see aiding in the balance, and one you somewhat hinted
at, would be for the form to be more feral.  Taking dire form makes one
more likely to lose control and succumb to animal instincts more easily.
  We also need to remember that just being bigger does not mean
proportional faster.  Would a dire cheetah be faster than a normal
cheetah?  Yes in part due to greater stride but there is also greater
mass.  Simple physics tells us that more mass means much more power
required to move it.  Thus the dire might be somewhat faster but not
twice as fast.  Having these as part of the dire form would help to
balance out the form.

The morphic armor is a nice touch and I think you set it up very well
that this is part of a very ancient and powerful magic.  Just as many
other items in MK, Whisper comes to mind, it will be a unique piece of
equipment.  We didn't really get to see in this story how effective the
armor is but you have very nicely laid the foundation for a good
limitation with the power it needs to be used.  I'd suggest keeping that
in place and letting Stealth slowly resolve it.  Let the solution slowly
come into being as he grows in his abilities and experience.

I also liked what you have done with the interaction between Edmund and
Stealth following the battle.  I've been working with people coming back
from war for almost four years now and believe me there is a very big
struggle with being in combat and taking lives that hits a person no
matter who they are.  It is unique to each person and expresses itself
in a very individual way.  You've given Stealth a good start on dealing
with this issue.  He has an excellent sounding board in Edmund the
veteran warrior.  Don't let this be just a one off.  Let Stealth
struggle some with it.  Allow him to come to terms with it in his own
way as he is put into more situations involving combat or the
possibility of killing.

A good solid plot, a good story and one that leaves several paths to
follow for future stories.

Well done.

Kamau