[Mkguild] Overcoming Fear part 2

Chris chrisokane at verizon.net
Sun Mar 22 00:05:10 EDT 2009

Here is part 2 =96 the last part! enjoy!
 =

****************
 =

 =

   The meal was served efficiently and quickly by a half dozen servants.
First came a soup of carrots, potatoes and mutton all in a rich, red
broth.
 =

   =93What exactly DOES my son Misha do?=94 Reuben asked between spoonfuls
of soup.
 =

   =93He is knight commander of the Order of the Axe and bow,=94 Camella
explained as she sipped the soup. It tasted of the mutton but the spices
gave it a sharp bite.
 =

   =93How did he gain such a prestigious title? By killing more people
then everyone else?=94 came the sarcastic comment from Reuben.
 =

   Neal shot the man a cold look. =93Sir Brightleaf,=94 he said in a tone
filled with anger. =93Is a personal friend of the duke. He fought for the
Duke and was instrumental in saving the Keep and the lives of over five
hundred people during the Yuletide attack. His people have saved
countless other lives over the years. Duke Thomas himself has honored
him several times with titles.=94
 =

   The elder simply nodded in response. =93I see. But there is more to
life then fighting and destroying.=94
 =

   =93I=92ve heard he is making clocks,=94 Muriel said in a friendly tone.
=93And other things.=94
 =

   The bat nodded in response. =93Oh yes! He makes some the of most
beautiful and complex clocks I=92ve ever seen. They do all sorts of clever
things like ring bells and have figures dancing. He gets a lot of coins
for his clocks.=94
 =

   =93Does he own any property?=94 Reuben asked .
 =

   =93Oh yes!=94 Neal responded as he took a drink of spiced wine. =93He ow=
ns
a fine inn in Euper called the Jolly collie. And a mill over in Mallen.=94
 =

   =93And those five buildings in Euper too. They pay him a fine rent!=94
Camella added.
 =

   =93Ah yes! He also is part owner of a caravan.=94
 =

   Amanda laughed cutting through the tension. =93How does he find the
time to do any fighting.=94
 =

   =93Well he is unmarried and single,=94 Neal answered.
 =

   =93But only till June,=94 Camella added with a chuckle.
 =

   All further conversation stopped as the main course was brought in. A
large platter held a roast leg of lamb basted in a red wine sauce.
Encircling the meat was a ring of potatoes, carrots and four different
kinds of string beans. Next came a large bowl of sweet potatoes their
skins baked to a golden brown. For Camella they brought a platter filled
with oranges, pears, peaches and a large grapefruit already peeled and
covered with a sweet, blue colored sauce.
 =

   =93My apologies Camella. We were not sure exactly what you could and
could not eat but we did bring you a quantity of fresh fruit,=94 Rowenna
commented.
 =

   =93Your form is based off of the large, southern lunar bat,=94 Elizabeth
commented. =93They eat fruit and insects. The fruit we can provide but I=92m
afraid the insects are out.=94
 =

   =93Not in my household,=94 Muriel added and smiled. =93I draw the line at
bugs.=94
 =

   =93Fruit is fine,=94 Camella answered. She took a slice or orange and
nibbled on it for a moment. =93I know I should like eating them but I
cannot bring myself to actually eat insects.=94 She took a larger bite and
finished the slice in seconds. =93Nasty, icky bugs.=94
 =

   The whole group broke out into laughter.
 =

   =93How is the fruit?=94 Reuben asked. =93We had it brought in fresh from
the south.=94
 =

   =93It=92s delicious,=94 the bat keeper answered as she ate a slice of pe=
ar.
=93Thank you!=94
 =

   =93What of the rumors of this mechanical creature?=94 Muriel asked. =93A=
re
they true?=94
 =

   =93You mean Madog? Perfectly true. That mechanical fox moves and thinks
on his own,=94 Neal answered between bites of lamb.
 =

   =93And the rumors of it=92s power?=94 Muriel asked looking up from her
plate.
 =

   Neal nodded slowly. =93He is one VERY powerful little metal fox. I=92ve
heard stories that he ripped a Moransai apart during the Yule attack.
Literally ripped him to pieces.=94
 =

   Camella nodded in agreement. =93Lots of people saw that happen.=94
 =

   =93My brother owns that thing?=94 George said unnerved as a murmur ran
through the room. The man put down his drink and peered at the two
keepers with a frightened look.
 =

   =93Not owns exactly. A better description would be he keeps him as a
pet or a friend,=94 Neal answered trying to sound calm. The power Madog
had showed that day had un-nerved a lot of people at the Keep.
 =

   =93Madog=92s really a sweet person,=94 Camella commented in a calm tone.
=93For something so powerful.=94
 =

   =93How much of Madog=92s magic does he really understand?=94 the elder
woman asked.
 =

   Neal shrugged. =93I=92m not sure. He says absolutely nothing about the
magic behind Madog.=94
 =

   Camella sipped her wine gently. =93It is an entirely new type of
magic.=94 She commented. =93I=92ve never seen anything like it. None of the
mages at the Keep have.=94
 =

   =93It is Automaton magic,=94 Elizabeth explained. =93Long considered
extinct.=94
 =

   Muriel leaned forward, closer to the Keepers. =93Misha is actually
casting Automaton spells?=94 she asked sounding surprised.
 =

   The bat nodded. =93Misha has been casting a few spells and he recently
repaired Madog after he was badly damaged. But exactly what Misha can do
is hard to say. He is not revealing anything.=94
 =

   =93A smart move,=94 Reuben said.
 =

   Muriel shook her head. =93I=92m nervous that he is using such dangerous
magic alone up there without guild protection.=94
 =

   =93Misha is no fool and he can protect himself,=94 Elizabeth countered.
 =

   Neal laughed. =93He=92s a very skilled fighter and he does have that big
axe of his! That=92s more then enough to scare off most people.=94
 =

   =93Still he is at risk,=94 the older woman said.
 =

   =93Not as much as you think,=94 Neal countered. =93To get this new magic
from Misha requires going to Metamor and that means exposing themselves
to the curse.=94
 =

   Elizabeth nodded her head. =93That alone would keep most people at
bay.=94
 =

   =93Most but not all,=94 Muriel commented.
 =

   =93Misha isn=92t some wide eyed na=EFve apprentice,=94 the man answered.=
 =93He
is a very skilled scout and he does have that axe of his. And for those
who are more persistent there is always Madog. There are few who can
defeat that metal fox. And together Misha and Madog make a formidable
pair.=94
 =

   =93I=92ve yet to see a spell that can effect Madog,=94 the bat said. =93=
No
one in the guild has. Although they are still trying.=94
 =

   =93Are you a mage Camella?=94 Muriel asked.
 =

   =93Yes but I=92m simply a low level caster. I am studying with the
guild.=94
 =

   She leaned closer and her face lit up with a broad smile. =93What is
your specialty?=94 Muriel asked.
 =

   =93I was studying combat magic but I=92ve switched to flight and air
magic,=94 the bat responded.
 =

   Muriel laughed. =93I can see why!=94
 =

   =93She can still cast a mean fire spell if she needs to,=94 Neal added.
 =

   Camella saw Reuben looking again and again at the same place on the
table in front of him. She recognized the letter that they had delivered
this afternoon. As far as she could tell it was resting against a bottle
of ale and looked to be unopened.
 =

   =93Camella,=94 Muriel asked in level tones. =93You mentioned my son is o=
nly
single till June.=94
 =

   =93Oh yes,=94 the bat woman answered and looked to the older woman. Her
own contemplation forgotten. =93The wedding is in June.=94 She points to the
unopened envelope. =93That is in the message we delivered to you today.=94
 =

   Neal nodded energetically. =93Oh yes! We=92ve been delivering the
engagement notices to people all over!=94
 =

   =93MISHA IS MARRYING?=94 Rowenna exclaimed and smiled broadly. =93Finall=
y!
Who is he marrying?=94
 =

   =93What is he marrying?=94 George asked.
 =

   Suddenly all eyes in the room were focused on her.
 =

   =93Caroline Hardy. Her father is a highly respected jeweler at the
Keep,=94 Camella answered slowly.
 =

   =93Is she?=94 Amanda put both hands up to the side of her head in
imitation of fox ears.
 =

   =93A fox? No. She is a river otter and one of the nicest people I have
ever met,=94 Camella explained.
 =

   =93And the second most beautiful woman in the world,=94 Neal added and
took one of Camella=92s hands and kissed it.
 =

   =93What is she like?=94 Muriel asked.
 =

   =93Caroline is a fine woman,=94 Neal said. =93Smart, strong and certainly
one of the finest archers in the Keep.=94
 =

   =93Caroline=92s a few years younger then he is,=94 Camella added. =93She
likes to paint and can play the flute very well.=94
 =

   =93A warrior and an artist,=94 Verner said with a smile.
 =

   =93I think they make a fine couple,=94 Camella said cheerfully.
 =

   =93Are you two married?=94 Amanda asked.
 =

   Camella nodded. =93Oh yes! Two years ago next month!=94
 =

   Neal smiled broadly and kissed Camella on the muzzle. =93You are the
best thing to happen to me.=94
 =

   =93Do you have children?=94 Rowenna asked in a deceptively soft tone.
 =

   =93Not yet,=94 Neal answered slowly. =93But we are hoping to start a fam=
ily
soon.=94
 =

   =93My apologies for asking such a personal question but the question
has bothered me. Muriel said and paused for a moment. =93What will your
children look like?=94
 =

   Neal nodded slowly aware of the fact that there was more going on
that a simple question. =93I understand. We=92ve asked that one ourselves.
Many couples at the Keep have already had children.=94
 =

   =93And?=94 Reuben snapped in an annoyed tone.
 =

   =93Mixed,=94 the female keeper explained. =93Our children will be either=
 an
animal morph like me or a human looking child.=94
 =

   =93And what if you were both of different animal forms?=94 George asked.
 =

   The room fell silent and everyone was looking at the two keepers.
Even the servants.
 =

   =93Like Misha and Caroline?=94 Neal asked cutting to the real heart of
the issue. =93Even more mixed. Some will be fox, some otter and the rest
human.=94
 =

   =93No hybrids?=94
 =

   =93Nope,=94 Neal answered. =93No fotters. They would all be of one speci=
es
or the other.=94
 =

   =93Curious,=94 George said. =93What if only one of the couple was effect=
ed
by the curse? Could they still have children?=94
 =

   =93Yes,=94 Camella said. =93An animal based Keeper like me can have
children by an uncursed human.=94
 =

   =93I see,=94 Elizabeth said and the room fell silent again. =93What if an
animal keeper took a normal, animal as a mate?=94
 =

   =93No children would result,=94 Neal said in cold tones and frowned. He
was unhappy with the way this conversation was going. =93No more then if a
human here in Marigund had an animal lover.=94
 =

   =93So,=94 Elizabeth said slowly as if measuring each word carefully. Her
eyes were fixed on the glass on the table in front of her. =93That implies
you are still basically human in spite of your appearances.=94
 =

   Camella looked at Elizabeth for a moment. She was sure there was a
lot more to that question then the woman was revealing.
 =

   Neal=92s face became fixed with a look of anger and he started to speak
but his wife stopped him with a pat on his arm.
 =

   =93Of course. Why?=94 Camella responded.
 =

   The tension in the room eased suddenly. =93I=92m sorry,=94 Elizabeth sai=
d,
embarrassed. =93But you just answered a question that has been the center
of a debate that has long been raging in the Mages guild.=94
 =

   =93In the guild and in this family,=94 Camella thought to herself.
 =

   =93My apologies if we have offended you,=94 Reuben said in a loud tone.
=93We have a lot of questions about the curse and until now no way to
answer them. In our eagerness to answer them we have forgotten common
courtesy.=94
 =

   Neal smiled faintly. =93I understand. You have been far kinder then
most people in the Midlands have been.=94
 =

 =

***************
 =

 =

   =93Will you please open it!=94 Muriel barked in exasperation.
 =

   Reuben didn=92t move or speak just but stared at the envelope resting
on the table in front of him. He had held and examined the envelope a
thousand times without once opening it.
 =

   Dinner was long over and the family=92s unusual guests had retired for
the evening. As had the rest of the family. It left the two alone in
their own bedroom with their thoughts and the letter.
 =

   =93You can=92t just look at it forever?=94 she said. =93we=92ve been ign=
oring
each other for too long. We should have talked to him a long time ago.=94
 =

   Reuben stiffened and nodded his head. =93You=92re right!=94 And he boldly
opened the envelope and took out the letter inside.
 =

   =

*********************
 =

 =

   It was a bright, clear day with few clouds. A perfect day for flying.
Camella and Neal  were standing in the middle of the castle courtyard
preparing for their departure.
 =

   Muriel hugged Camella tightly. =93Thank you for coming and putting up
with all our rude questions. =93You=92ve put a lot of minds at rest.=94
 =

   =93I=92m glad we could help,=94 Camella answered.
 =

   George patted Neal on the shoulder. =93You two are always welcome here
any time.=94 He handed the man several large sealed envelopes. =93Those are
for my brother and future sister in law.=94
 =

   Neal took the letters and carefully stowed them in his pouch being
sure they were safe and secure. =93I=92ll deliver them safely.=94
 =

   Reuben and Muriel approached him last. The man handed Neal a large
envelope that was sealed with wax along the entire flap and not just one
spot. This is for my son and his fianc=E9.=94 Reuben said solemnly. =93Plea=
se
see that it is delivered to them and no one else.=94
 =

   Neal nodded slowly. =93I=92ll deliver it to them safely. Never fear.=94
 =

 =

****************
 =

 =

   Misha sat staring at the top of his desk for a long time. Resting in
the center of the desk was a tan colored envelope edged with a light
blue line. Written on the envelope in black ink was the words =91Misha
Brightleaf & Caroline Hardy.=92
 =

   =93Well?=94 Caroline asked. =93Are you going to open it or just stare at=
 it
forever.=94
 =

   Misha took a deep breath and opened the letter slowly as if expecting
it to explode or poisonous snakes to spring out. Inside were several
pages of writing on vellum folded neatly to fit into the envelope. He
unfolded the pages and read the top line on the first page.
 =

   =93Our Dear son and daughter to be,=94 the letter began.
 =

 =

   The end
 =