[Mkguild] MK Story Overcoming Fear part 1

Kamau jc2blion at taconic.net
Tue Mar 24 06:17:22 EDT 2009

Very nice.  Review embedded in the text.

Kamau

Chris wrote:
> This is a change of pace from my usual action stories. This visits
> Misha's family and touches on some painful things.
>

> ******************
>

> Overcoming Fear
> By Christian O’Kane
>
> July 707
>

>    “Misha.”
>
>    “Misha.”
>
>    “MISHA!” Caroline shouted and touched Misha on the shoulder.
>
>    The fox morph yelped and jumped in surprise. He turned to see
> Caroline standing there, looking at him. “What? What’s wrong my love?”
> he asked and stroked the side of her face..
>
>    “You have been sitting at that desk, pen in hand and staring at that
> blank paper for over an hour,” she explained. Caroline wrapped her arms
> around Misha’s neck and nuzzled him softly. “Are you meditating?”
>
>    “I’m trying to write a letter to . . .” his voice faded and he looked
> down at the paper.
>
>    “To who?” she asked, puzzled. Misha had a tough persona and a
> reputation as a ferocious fighter but at times he was surprisingly shy
> and nervous. Right now she was seeing a frightened child.
>
>    “My parents,” he said finally. “I want to put it in with the
> engagement notices.”
>
>    “So what’s wrong?” she asked.
>
>    “How do I start it?”  He asked painfully. “I . . . .”
>
>    “How about the obvious way?” she asked. “Start with ‘Hello Mom and
> Dad.’ “
>
>    He looked at her dubiously. “What if I put my heart and soul into
> this letter and they reject me again.” His voice cracked and his eyes
> were full of pain and doubt.
>
>    “You will never know unless write it,” Caroline countered. “All
> you’ll have is your doubts.”

Missing word
“You will never know unless >you< write it,”

> [...]
> behind stone battlements.
>
>    “They certainly recovered quickly enough,” the man commented.
>
>    “Indeed,” the bat answered. Her body shivered and seemed to collapse
> in on its self shrinking and getting smaller and smaller till she was
> roughly human sized. Camella had stopped growing smaller but she did not
> stop changing. Her short bat legs grew longer and changed to something
> more resembling human limbs. A pair of arms separated from Camella’s
> wings which she folded flat against her back. What had been a bat was
> now an odd human like bat woman. It looked like a mage’s hybrid creation
> and more at home Mage’s Guild Hall then a nobleman’s castle.
>
>    A figure came out of a nearby doorway and slowly advanced on the two
> new arrivals. He was some six feet tall and looked formidable dressed in
> armor and with a sword in his right hand and a shield in the other.
>
>    The bat cocked her head. “Wow, he is tall!”
>
>    The rider opened his pouch and produced several envelopes. He handed
> one to the tall guard. “That one is for you Verner.” The rider handed
> the man a second envelope. “This is for your wife Elizabeth. I have
> others for Lord and Lady Brightleaf.”
>
>    The man looked at the envelope without opening it. “How do you know
> who I am?”
>
>    “Misha said he would be as tall as a church steeple.”
>
>    The figure looked startled. “My brother by marriage is dead.”
>
>    “People keep telling me that,” Neal looked at the bat and commented
> calmly.
>
>    “Misha certainly looks pretty good for a dead person,” Camella said
> nonchalantly returning the man’s gaze. “Perhaps we should tell him to
> lie down and be still.”
>
>    “Do you think ANYONE could tell Misha to do anything he doesn’t want
> to?” the rider asked.
>
>    “Caroline can,” she retorted with a chuckle.
>
>    “You know him?”
>
>    “We are here on his behest,” Neal explained.
>
>    Verner gestured towards the door he had just left. “This way.” It was
> not a request.
>

> ************************
>

>    The party was a good one. The massive Long hall was filled with all
> the guests and it seemed as if everyone had been invited. Even the Duke!
> All had come. No one ever willingly missed one of Misha’s parties. The
> fox was famous for throwing some lavish and wild parties and this wasn’t
> just a party it was special! It was an engagement party! He has spared
> no expense and it showed. Banners and streamers covered the walls and
> ceiling. The tables were laden with the finest food set on fine china.
> There was even crystal cups for many of the guests. There was a five
> piece band that played for the guests as they ate the five course meal.
>
>    Misha and Caroline were well dressed and seemed to be everywhere.
> Talking with all the guests as all they all admired her engagement ring.
> The females admired the beauty while the males were impressed by it’s

Doubled wording
> [...]

> eating bats from the south so I brought some fruit. I can bring you
> something else if you want.” She didn’t seem the slightest bit disturbed
> by the fact that she was addressing a bat human.
>
>    “Fruit is fine,” Camella answered. “Thank you. Aren’t you surprised
> to be speaking to a talking she bat?”
>
>    The girl shook her head. “No. Aunt Elizabeth has had some unusual
> guests here from the Guild. Some of those mages are really weird.”
>
>    Neal shook his head. “I’m not sure I want to hear anymore of that.”
>
>    “You would be Amanda,” the bat said. “George’s middle child.”
>
>    The girl smiled at the recognition. “Yes my lady.” She stepped
> closer. “Are you really from Metamor?” she asked in a conspiratorial
> whisper.
>
>    “Where else would we be from?” Camella answered. “Do I look like I’m
> from Isenport?”
>
>    The girl laughed. “Have you really come from Uncle Misha?”
>
>    “Yes we have,” Neal answered and with a flourish he produced an
> envelope and handed it to the Amanda. “That is for you.”
>
>    She didn’t take it but looked at the envelope carefully. It looked
> like a normal envelope. On the front was written her name is a black
> flowing hand writing.
>
>    A figure appeared in a doorway next to the bat. “Take it dear. It’s
> not a trap or poisoned.” The woman was wearing a long, flowing, woolen
> dress of dyed a deep blue color. He hair was loose but fairly short
>
>    Camella stood up and gave as good a bow as her bat like body allowed.
> She kicked Neal in the ankle.
>
>    He bowed as well giving a deep, formal bow, his arm almost touching
> the floor. “Lady Elizabeth, Lord Verner. I bring good tidings from Sir
> Misha Brightleaf and Lady Caroline.”
>
>    “You knew we were coming?” Neal asked more then a little surprised.
>
>    “Misha contacted me this morning and told me the good news,” the
> woman explained.
>
>    “You’re Elizabeth!” Camella exclaimed.
>
>    “We have a letter for Lord and Lady Brightleaf,” Neal stated.
>
>    “I’ll take them,” Elizabeth said extending her hand. “This is
> something Reuben and Muriel should hear from family.”
>
>    “How will they take the news?” Neal asked bluntly.
>
>    The woman didn’t answer at first. But simply looked at them. “I’m not
> sure. I don’t think my parents themselves know how they’ll take it.”
>
>    “Then we are all about to find out,” Neal commented bluntly.
>

> *****************
>

>    This room was a lot less ornate then the previous one. The paintings
> on the wall looked older and held images of men and woman dressed in
> outdated clothing. The bed was a massive affair of old wood and thick
> wool curtains. But although the furniture looked older and a bit worn it
> felt more friendly then the first room. Unlike the waiting room which
> had been for formally entertaining guests this place was more informal.
> This was a place used often by the Brightleaf family and their friends.
>
>    “If you need something please feel free to ask,” Amanda asked.

Consider reworking so that 'ask' is not used twice so close together.

>    “Thank you,” Camella answered as she looked around.
>
>    “About dinner?” Neal asked hopefully.
>
>    The girl smiled. “Dinner is at six in the evening.”
>

> **************
>

>   Dinner did indeed start at six pm and took place in a surprisingly
> small room. They had expected to be some massive hall but instead they
> were in a small dining room about twenty feet wide and forty long.

Missing word
They had expected to be >in< some massive hall

  The
> table that dominated the room was of thick, black timbers and was
> polished to a high gloss. On the table were plates, saucers and other
> dinnerware of the finest porcelain. All were decorated with the blue
> floral pattern of some far east artisan. To go with the dinnerware the
> silverware was made of real silver and decorated with the same pattern
> as the plates. Glasses of cut crystal rested in front of each seating
> place.
>
>    Neal was given a seat with a tall back and well padded with leather.
> Camella was escorted to a place next to Neal and found her seat was a
> thickly padded bench with a no back to it. She would have no problem
> sitting even with her large wings.

Extra word
thickly padded bench with >a< no back to it.

>    Already standing around the table when they arrived was a wide
> assortment of people. She recognized Elizabeth and her husband Verner,
> Amanda and several others who she didn’t recognize. All were undoubtedly
> close family.
>
>    A door at the far end of the room opened and two couple made their
> way into the hall. An older man wearing the clean crisp clothes of a
> trusted servant spoke loudly. “Sir George and Lady Rowenna Brightleaf.”
> He paused for a moment. “Sir Reuben and Muriel Brightleaf.”

Plural needed
A door at the far end of the room opened and two >couples <

>    George and Rowenna Brightleaf were finely dressed. George was doublet
> and pants both of a dark red and blue color.

Wrong wording
George >wore< doublet and pants both of a dark red and blue color.

He was shorter then Verner