[Mkguild] Landing in a New Age (4/5)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Fri Sep 11 17:33:58 UTC 2009

And here's the last two days.

Metamor Keep: Landing in a New Age
By Charles Matthias

Day 4 - December 30, 707 CR

         Misha Brightleaf, head of the Long
Scouts, put the wax seal on the final report and
set it in the pile of letters to be delivered to
all those who needed to know.  Stealth would be
by later to pick them up.  The fox glanced at the
rest of his desk, and to his amazement, found
nothing on it but the remnants of his
half-forgotten meal.  Caroline had given him a
biscuit from the basketful she’d bought from
Gregor that morning, but he’d only managed half
before diving into the unpleasant management that
came with his position.  Crumbs scattered around
the jagged edges where his fangs had rent the
bread, all waiting to join the other half in his gullet.
         The fox stared at the biscuit
marring  the otherwise orderly desk, and
stammered in surprise, “I’m done!”  He blinked a
few more times before finishing the biscuit — it
still tasted warm and fresh despite being four
hours old — and then brushed the crumbs into one
paw and licked it clean.  He leaned back in his
chair, the tip of his tail brushing the carpeted
floor, and laughed.  He rested his foot paws on
the edge of the desk, wiggling his toes and
staring at the black claws. “I’m really done!”
         For the first time in weeks he didn’t
have anything he needed to do.  He could spend
some time working on his clocks, or perhaps he
could take Caroline to a nice dinner
somewhere.  Maybe he could go soak in the tubs
for an hour or two.  If Madog would show his
face, he could do any number of things.  Or
perhaps he could just lean back in his chair like
he was doing now and savour the limitless
possibilities of an hour or two of free time.
         Like a the snap of a trebuchet, the
knocking on his door brought an end to his good
mood. “What is it?” h called out, sighing with resignation.
         Padraic popped his head inside, the
golden rings in his ears tinkling. “You’ve got a
summons from his grace, Misha.  Just now.”
         Misha rolled his eyes, put his foot paws
down, and gestured at the stack of letters. “I’m
on my way.  Tell Stealth to deliver these when he arrives.”
         Padraic glanced at the stack and
nodded.  His eyes met the fox’s and then sunk his
ears even lower. “Is something wrong?”
         Misha held two fingers close together so
that the claws were almost touching. “I was this
close to having a free hour.  This close!” He
sighed, and trudged past the rabbit who nodded in
sympathy.  He’d better find out what Duke Thomas wanted this time.

----------

         “And I tell you I have every intent on
rebuilding that warehouse,” a man of large
bearing and firm hands assured Father Hough. “I
just haven’t had enough business this year to make it worth the effort.”
         Father Hough nodded and sipped at the
tea he’d been offered when he’d entered the man’s
shop.  Hamish, once a woman of moderate
proportions but now the thundering force that
kept his husband’s tannery in business now that
he was but a boy no older or larger than Hough,
crossed his arms and nodded firmly as if to emphasize the point.
         “I’m sure you’ll recover your losses in
time,” Father Hough assured him, smiling the
cherubic grin that the curse had bestowed on him.
“And you will one day have a warehouse again to
store your excess and perhaps even to expand your
business.  But there are many place you can build
your warehouse.  The old site, is in the midst of
the ruins.  There is no advantage to having it
there.  There are many places which would be
closer to your shop here that you could purchase instead.”
         And so had gone his day.  As he’d
promised Mother Wilfrida last night, Father Hough
had gone to one of the civil engineers in charge
of rebuilding the city.  They had been only too
happy to inform him who still owned the land and
the ruins that the nuns wished to claim for their
own.  Hough had one of his younger students make
a copy of the map, and now he wrote everything he
needed directly on it.  This way, for each
property, he could tell the sisters what was to be done.
         Most of the properties had no living
owners left, as those who had owned them had
either died by the Lutins or by the fire.  Some
of these, merchants or Innkeepers had already
tried to snatch up, but they would be easier to
bargain with.  Already two of them had scaled
back their plans and agreed to give the nuns the
portion they wanted for a modest fee.  And some
that had been abandoned ha not been purchased,
which meant the nuns could have them for even less.
         But it was those like Hamish who
presented the real challenge — Keepers who’d
owned the land before it had been burned down and
were still alive to lay claim to them.  These
Hough knew would drive a far higher price.  But
all he needed was for them to name a price and he
could bring it to his flock and they would find the money together.
         Hamish frowned as he considered Hough’s
point.  The boy priest could see it in the man’s
eyes; he knew there were places far closer to his
shop that would serve him better and sooner than
his old warehouse had. “That land has been in my
family for a very long time, Father.  I cannot just sell it to you.”
         “Oh but you wouldn’t be selling it to
me.  You would be selling it to the Sisters of
the Holy Mother’s Immaculate Heart.”  Hough
couldn’t help himself.  He loved saying their
full name in front of Lothanasi.  It never failed
to intimidate them.  On hearing that name they
never quite knew how to react. “I’m just speaking to you on their behalf.”
         Hamish took a deep breath, already his
resolve beginning to waver. “Well, what do they
want to do with it?  The Sisters that is.”
         Father Hough suppressed the triumphant
grin that wished to climb onto his face.  A
little bit more haggling and he’d have the price
for yet one more piece of land.  The Sisters
would have their convent.  It was just a matter of time and a bit of money.
         But as Mother Wiflrida had said, Eli has lots of money.

----------

         This time, Thomas was able to keep his
seat while his advisors gathered.  He’d moved it
from his private quarters to a more official
council chamber, this with a round table.  On the
few occasions that his vassals were in attendance
he always met them here.  There was enough
seating for twenty, but he had no intention of
bringing so many in. He was only going to have
six, Malisa, Thalberg, Andwyn, Copernicus, Misha, and George.
         But after nearly losing control in his
last meeting to discuss William Dupré, Thomas
needed a room that accentuated his authority
instead of downplaying it.  Decisions were going to be made today.
         Thalberg was the last to arrive, but
only by seconds.  Misha came in only a moment
before him, straightening his tunic as he sat
down.  Once Thalberg settled his scaly mass in
the chair nearest Thomas, the horse lord began.
“I know all of you are busy, but I need your
input.  Copernicus, I know you weren’t here for
our impromptu meeting two days ago, but you’ve
been helping coordinate all of our patrols in the
last month, so I want you to hear this too.  Two
days ago, an exiled baron from the Southern
Midlands, William Dupré, came to Metamor with
five soldiers and declared his intent to swear
allegiance to me.  We know very little about him
except that he is a capable military
commander.  George can personally attest to this,
having faced him in battle and only barely
survived.  Today, I want to know what we can do
with him, and what we should do with him.
         “But first, George, you spoke with him
yesterday.  What do you think now?”
         The jackal leaned back in his seat and
shrugged. “Same as I did then.  You should take
him at his word.  He means to go through with
it.  And he believes that in time you’ll learn to trust him.  Like you did me.”
         Thomas narrowed his eyes, nostrils
tightening.  He had been loathe to trust the
former mercenary when Misha had dragged him from
the Midlands seven years ago.  But he had quickly
proved his worth.  But Dupré had been sworn to
Duke Verdane, and had even married his
daughter.  George had been a mercenary, but he
hadn’t been part of one of his chief rival’s family!
         “So you have no doubt that he is sincere?  He means Metamor no harm?”
         “I have no doubt.  In fact, I think he’s
looking forward to being cursed.”
         Thomas chuffed. “The Dupré house has as
its heraldry the ram.  He was in the Valley when
the magical wave came through.  He said for a moment he became a ram.”
         “Perhaps he sees it as vindication,”
Copernicus suggested.  The lizard tapped his long
fingers together as he spoke. “The Curse makes
him the symbol of his house.  If he’s just been
exiled, then that would be a powerful sign that
he is still noble.  At least, that’s how he might see it.”
         “It would be very unusual for the Curse
to strike in so coincidental a fashion,” Andwyn mused quietly.
         “It happened to me,” Thomas pointed out.
“The Hassan coat of arms has always featured a rearing horse.”
         “But not to any of your other vassals,”
Malisa pointed out. “Perhaps this is a sign to us
as well as to him.  If he is truly changed to
reflect his family’s sigil, then he may be meant to stay here and serve you.”
         Misha and George glanced at each
other.  The jackal rolled his eyes, and then
leaned forward. “Look.  William is going to stay
in the valley one way or another.  He’s committed
to it, and he wants to serve you.  So accept him already.”
         “And I will,” Thomas said, his voice
deepening. “But I must also know where he should
serve.  He may earn my trust in time, but for
now, I will proceed with caution.  Exile he may
be, but his wife is still the daughter of Titian Verdane.”
         “And his son is the heir apparent to the
Kelewair duchy,” Andwyn added without much enthusiasm.
         “What a royal mess,” Thalberg groused.  Misha nodded in agreement.
         “So if I accept him as my vassal, I will
be inserting myself into a potential dynastic
dispute in Kelewair.  And if that happens, there
will be open war between Metamor and
Kelewair.  Verdane may not be able to take
Metamor, but he can certainly take our southern
fiefs and block us up in the valley.  Just which
army will look like the invaders to the people of
Menth or Giftum?  The human army, or the one with half-human beasts in it?”
         George growled under his throat. “I see
your point, but I still think you should accept him and damn the consequences.”
         “Noted,” Thomas replied. “Now, Andwyn,
have you learned more of Dupré’s recent past?”
         The bat nodded and leaned forward, his
wings wrapped around his chest. “I have, your
grace.  There may be less to fear of a dynastic
revolt than you think.  Titian is pressing the
Ecclesia to annul William’s marriage to his
daughter, and he’s moving to claim William’s
eldest son as his own.  Also, one of the
conditions of William’s exile is that he is to
have no further contact with his family. If he is
as honourable as George attests, then there is
little risk he will try to seize the ducal seat in Kelewair.”
         George’s ears raised in surprise and he
offered the bat a quick nod of the snout. “Thank you.”
         “This does not mean the situation is
without some risk,” Andwyn continued. “At the
very least, I recommend we do not assign him any duties south of the Keep.”
         “And if he were to betray us, don’t you
think he could do so easier in the north?” Misha asked.
         “He doesn’t know anyone in the north,”
Andwyn replied. “Nor do I believe he would betray
us to them.  I fear more that he would rush off
to see to his family and leave his duty
undone.  By placing him in the north, he’ll have
to pass by the Keep.  It will give us advance
warning for an event I do not believe likely to
happen, but one we should be watching for.”
         “And if he is the commander George says
he is,” Copernicus mused, “being in the north
would place him where someone like him is most needed.”
         “But he should be watched,” Malisa
suggested. “Until we can be certain of his loyalty.”
         Misha’s one good ear lifted as an idea
blossomed in his mind. “Nestorius!  The lion
could keep an eye on him, magically if need
be.  Place him and his men under Nestorius’s
command.  The old Suielman outpost is remote
enough that they won’t be able to do any
harm.  And with the Haunted Forest to the east,
and Glen Avery scouts ranging to the west,
there’s nothing he could do even if he wanted to.”
         George lifted one eye ridge and shook
his head. “Yeah, I thought that too fifteen years ago.”
         Misha turned on his friend. “Do you have any better ideas?”
         “Yeah, just trust him and give him a
post.  Outpost is fine. He and Nestorius should get along like lice on a dog.”
         “Which means they’re perfect for each
other,” Copernicus vocalized everyone’s unspoken thought.
         Thomas couldn’t help but chortle at the
barb, but he quickly recovered his composure.
“Very well.  As there are no better suggestions,
I will have him assigned to Outpost as field
commander.  It needs a more permanent commander
anyway.  That is, as long as your magical
examinations didn’t turn anything up.” This last
he directed to his adopted daughter.
         Malisa shook her head. “I couldn’t
detect anything on Dupré or any of his men.  None
of their belongings have even a trace of magic on
them either.  I wasn’t able to get any other
mages, not after having them spoil their
festivities by examining all of our vassals last
week, but Nestorius can also examine them
frequently.  They were very cooperative, and very professional.”
         “It seems we are in a general agreement
then,” Thomas surmised as he looked at the faces
around him. “George, I’ll allow you the honour of
delivering this message to William Dupré.  Once
the Curse has claimed him and his men, I will
officially receive them into my service and give
them a commission.  You do not need to tell them
any more than that.  Misha, Copernicus, I want
you both to go over the rosters assigned to
Outpost and reorganize them as there is no more need for rotating commanders.”
         “Nestorius will be happy about that,”
Misha said with a sigh of relief.
         “Andwyn, I want you to instruct whatever
spies you have at Outpost to keep an eye on Dupré and his men.”
         “I told you that you can trust him,”
George added with a bit of acid in his voice.
         “Trust is earned, not given,” Thomas
pointed out. “I make no exceptions on that.”
         George narrowed his eyes, “And how long
were your spies circling me before you trusted me.”
         “You would have to ask Phil.  Malisa,
write special instructions for Nestorius so he
knows what he should look for when he magically
examines Dupré.  Thalberg, I want you to prepare
an official ceremony for Dupré and his men to
swear their allegiance to me.  The more
ceremonial, the more they’ll be bound by their
oaths.  Make sure that Father Hough is present as
well.  They’re Patildor, and if a priest of their
faith is there, their oaths will be even stronger.”
         George still appeared surly, but the
rest of them all looked satisfied.  Thomas folded
his hands together and nodded his head once.
“Thank you all for your aid and advice.  Now let
us do what we can to prepare the way for our
newest ally.” With that he rose, and so did they.
         The horse lord immediately put thoughts
of Dupré from his mind.  It was time to share an afternoon meal with his wife!

!DSPAM:4aaa89dc317801804284693!