[Mkguild] Landing in a New Age (5/5)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Fri Sep 11 17:36:21 UTC 2009

And the last one.  This wraps up my first new
story.  Thanks go out to Chris Okane who looked
over all the scenes with George, Ryx who
double-checked my scene with Kozaithy, and Chris
Bradford for the idea of the Verne character and
the Fellowship we see in the first scene of this day.

And to everyone who reads and replies, thank you too! :-)

Metamor Keep: Landing in a New Age
By Charles Matthias

Day 5 - January 1, 708 CR

         The Steward of Metamor rose well before
dawn to begin his day.  With the dutiful check of
his ledgers, he noted that the new year had
come.  The celebrations last night had been
muted, and in fact, after he’d finished arranging
the one Ducal event, he’d not even been
involved.  Instead he’d begun planning the
logistics for a formal ceremony in which the
Midlander exile could swear allegiance to Thomas.
         It was now 708 CR, but for Thalberg, it
was just another day in the service to the
Duke.  The great alligator donned his robes,
stirred the ashes from last night’s fire and
added more fuel until a healthy flame roared in
the hearth, and then set a kettle to boil for his
morning tea.  A page would be by soon with a
platter of fishes freshly caught and cooked as he
had every morning to break his fast.
         Later he would go to the kitchens and
oversee the meals being prepared for the new
year’s feast as well as those to break Duke
Thomas and Duchess Alberta’s fast, but their day
didn’t begin as early as did his.  So it was with
the life of a servant, but it was his life and he
loved it.  Even if the thought of a brief respite
brought him no end of yearning.
         A furtive knock on the door made him
lower his eyes.  The page who brought him food
was always more assertive.  Either somebody new
on the staff who was about to be the butt of a
practical joke, or it was somebody come to ask
him something.  He raised his snout and called, “Enter!”
         A long green head with bulging eyes and
a beak peered in the door. “E-e-excuse me, Thalberg sir?”
         The door continued to open and the box
turtle hesitantly stepped inside.  Unlike a real
turtle, while at his most human, Verne’s shell
wasn’t large enough for him to hide in.  Still,
he always looked as if he wished to tuck his head
right back inside either his shell or the
voluminous tunics he bore. Thalberg sighed in
exasperation. “Hello, Verne.  What do you need today?”
         Verne drew his head back and moment, and
then bulged his neck forward with purpose. “The
sand warmers are wearing out again, and the spiny
alchemist won’t make us more unless we pay double
her old fee.  I-i-it’s not fair.  We need those,
and it’s not right that she’s using that to
extort money from us.  You’re part of the Fellowship, you understand!”
         Thalberg stared at his fellow reptilian
Keeper and grunted. “Pascal has rather eclectic
expenses, so if she’s raised her prices, she will
have raised them for everyone.  I can talk to
her, but I cannot make her do anything.  I
recommend you ask one of the mages to ensorcel a pyrock or two.”
         “But that’s more expensive!” Verne wailed.
         “And they last a lot longer too,”
Thalberg added. “Pool together some money from
other Fellowship members, as much as you
need.  And yes, I’ll contribute too.  Now go, I have quite a lot to do today.”
         Verne backed up a step, his short tail
curling back and forth with his anxiety.  He
lowered his head and asked, “Will we see you at
the Fellowship gathering this month?”
         The alligator sighed heavily and through
his teeth said, “Send me an invitation and I’ll
consider it.  Thank you, Verne.”
         “Thank you, Thalberg sir,” Verne
replied, not entirely convincingly as he left.
         Thalberg turned back to his kettle and
poured himself a cup of tea.  He stirred the dark
brew, and let the aroma tickle his nostrils.  He
knew he shouldn’t be so hard on Verne or so
dismissive of the Fellowship.  It was meant to
help Keepers who’d become reptilian or avian with
their special needs.  They just kept trying to
make him their leader, and he didn’t have either
the time or the desire for it. And yet now here
he’d gone and promised to help this new alligator
adjust to her new body and even perhaps find her
a job.  He grunted at himself and settled behind
his desk to begin his day’s work.
         The second knock came only minutes
later, but this time it was his morning fish.  He
thanked the youthful page and after he left,
resumed reviewing his notes from last
night.  Schedules and ledges, lists of
inventories of foodstuffs and cloths, decorations
and draperies, all of it came into coherent focus
beneath his cool yellow gaze.  The fish was gone
in two gulps, but sated his empty gullet.  The tea lasted only slightly longer.
         He was just getting up to fetch himself
another cup, when a third knocking interrupted
him. “Come in,” he called as he poured his second cup.
         With his back momentarily to the door,
he didn’t see who it was, but he immediately
recognized the voice. “Master Steward?  I’m here as you asked.”
         Thalberg turned and set his tea
down.  In his doorway stood another alligator
draped in a heavy woolen tunic, breeches and
cloak all fitted to her new reptilian shape.  Her
slitted yellow eyes were lowered only
slightly.  Thalberg stepped around his desk and
clasped his hands before him. “Good morning to
you, Miriam.  Come, sit by the fire and warm
yourself.  Would you like some tea?” So speaking,
he lifted one of the chairs he usually kept
opposite his desk and brought it around next to
the hearth.  The scarlet upholstery glistened in the bright firelight.
         “Thank you, aye,” Miriam replied.  She
walked a little clumsily, with her long tail
dragging behind her and sometimes tugging on the
cloak fastened at her neck.  But she yanked at
the ends of the cloak with her green scaled hands
and pulled it free.  Thalberg noted that the
boots she wore looked dreadfully uncomfortable;
he’d have to take her to a cobbler to fix that.
         Sitting down was also a challenge for
her, as she still didn’t have much coordination
with moving her tail around.  She eventually,
just grabbed the end in her hands and wedged it
into the hole in the back of the chair, and then
shoved herself down. “How do you make this thing work?”
         “Our tail can be clumsy for us,”
Thalberg admitted as he handed her a fresh cup of
tea.  It steamed up across her snout, and her
nostrils recoiled at first, but she managed after
a moment to breath in the soothing aroma. “But
you’ll learn how to move it right.  They’re
completely new muscles, and it takes some time to
master.  If you haven’t tried to the steam baths
here at the Keep, then you must.  You’ll discover
exactly what our tails are for.”
         “Steam baths?  That does sound lovely,”
Miriam admitted.  She must have taken his advice
about talking to others as much as she could, for
already the awkwardness in her voice was fading. “Where are they?”
         Thalberg sat down opposite her, far more
gracefully, his tail going exactly where he
wanted it.  He cradled his tea in his scaled
hands, black claws tapping the ceramic with a
steady beat. “Like anything else at Metamor, just
think about it and you’ll find your way
there.  That said, today you’ll accompany me as I
make my rounds and oversee my duties.  I want to see where best you’ll fit in.”
         Miriam lifted the cup to the end of her
snout, but didn’t drink. “You’ll have work for me?”
         “I don’t know,” Thalberg admitted. “We
shall see.” He tipped his cup across the end of
his jaw and let the tea rush down his tongue.
“I’ll also introduce you to a few members of the
Fellowship.  It’s a group of Keepers who’ve
become birds or reptiles like us.  They can offer
you other advice on how to adjust to your
body.  But that’s for later.  Right now, tell me
again what sort of things you did in Lord Bradanes’s house.”
         Miriam stared down her snout at the cup
and did her best to take a drink.  Only a little
spilled out the sides of her jaws.  She brushed
this off with the hem of her cloak, and then
began to tell Thalberg all he wished to
know.  The crackling fire warmed the two
alligators on that chilly winter morn as they spoke of the duties of servants.

----------

         William Dupré and his men slept in a
single room which did not have enough bedding for
all of them.  There were but two beds, and barely
enough space for the rest to sleep on the floor
with their gear.  But they managed.  Becket and
the others insisted that William take one of the
beds, and so he did.  It had a few lumps, but
he’d slept on far worse.  He felt no soreness in
his back when he woke, as was often the case, but
on this morning, the first day of the new year,
he did feel an odd soreness in his head.
         William pushed himself into a sitting
position.  It was still dark outside, though
voices could be heard below, and torchlight
flickered beneath the door jamb.  He could
vaguely see his five men as lumps around the
room.  Becket, laying on the floor next to him,
lifted his head, though he said nothing.
         William grunted to himself.  His head
hurt.  It felt like two big something spikes were
being shoved out his temples.  He lifted one hand
to his face, and immediately stiffened in
alarm.  There was something poking out the sides
of his head!  He felt at the edge, something hard
and rippling, growing and shoving aside his hair.  Horns.  Ram’s horns.
         “The Curse has me, Becket,” he said, and
already he could feel the changes flowing down
through the rest of his body.  His tongue
thickened, face stretching and nose
flattening.  His fingers tensed and tightened,
and he felt as if millions of ants were crawling over every mote of flesh.
         “And I,” Becket said, as he sat up,
grunting deep in his throat.  The other soldiers
all stirred from their sleep as the Curse worked
its fingers into them.  One of them, Anthony,
managed to light a lamp with his fast youthening fingers.
         William pushed the quilts off his body,
and watched as his feet hardened into cloven
hooves, and a copious white wool spread across
every exposed bit of flesh.  His hands were now
hoof-like with only two thick fingers, but they
were still strong.  The change came so fast on
him, that the earlier discomfort wore away within
moments, leaving him feel disoriented.  He could
see the large curling horns out of the corner’s
of his eyes, and they made his head feel very heavy.
         He could see that his soldiers were in
similar discomfort from their changes.  But not a
one of them uttered a word of complaint as the
curse of Metamor took away their old bodies and
gave them new ones.  Beside him, Becket now
sported a long porcine nose, white tusks, bristly
fur, small eyes, and thick hoof-like
hands.  Sitting next to him was what had become
of Alexander, the youngest of his men, who now
had black fur with orange markings on his hands,
chest, and face, black claws, and a stout canine
countenance.  He pulled a long black tail out of
his breeches and stared at it in
surprise.  Anthony was tangled in his now too big
shirt, while Martin and Robert were staring at
each other’s returned freckles.  Three beasts and
three boys.  Just as the flash of light a week past had predicted.
         William moved his odd tongue around in
his mouth and did his best to smile with his
snout. “Welcome to Metamor, men.  Whether we like
it or not, it’s our home now.”
         Becket put his oddly shaped hand on his
chest, and nodded his heavy snout.  He still
managed to look dignified even as a boar. “It may
have taken our bodies, but we shall give it our
very lives if that is what you ask of us.”
         William set his hooves on the floor and
did his best to stand.  It was very different, as
he had to keep his knees and hips balanced just
right.  But after a moment of unsteady swaying,
he managed to right himself. “I am very proud of
each of you.  Soldiers each of us then, to the
very end.  Get dressed as best you can men.  I
want to get to know our new home a little better today.”
         They leapt from their makeshift beds
before the words were even out of his muzzle.

----------

         “Dirigere et sanctificare, regere et
gubernare dignare, Domine Deus” the nuns intoned
as one.  They knelt before the main altar in the
cathedral, except for Tugal who sat in her
wheeled chair next to them, hands folded in
prayer. “Rex caeli et terrae, hodie corda et
corpora nostra, sensus,” her lips moved, the
words radiating up from her soul to a God she had
only known for a few months but one whom she desperately loved.
         “Sermones et actus nostros in lege tua
et in...” Mother Wilfrida’s voice warbled in her
throat as she bent forward, struck suddenly by a
spasm.  So too did the other nuns, clutching at
their cowls while Tugal alone remained
untouched.  The sister nearest her seemed to
shrink inside her habit, while the one sitting
next to her sprouted sparse bristly fur, long
donkey-like ears, a pronounced snout, and heavy digging claws.
         Mother Wilfrida straighted, as did the
other sisters.  Her lips hardened into a narrow
flat beak, as mud brown feathers began to dot her
face. Somehow, she managed to turn her head to
Tugal and ask, her voice distorted, “Tugal, could
you please finish the morning prayers for us.”
         Tugal felt her heart clutch tight in her
chest, breath caught on her lips, but she still
managed to nod.  The sisters continued to change,
some shrinking and others taking on the guise of
beasts.  Tugal remembered well the pain and shock
of when the curse claimed her.  She offered a
quick intention that their change would be
easier, lifted her eyes briefly to the yew
dominating the altar, then back down to her
slender hands.  Her tongue finally loosed and the
words of the prayer echoed through the Cathedral.
“Ut hic et in aeternum, te auxiliante, salvi et
liberi esse mereamur, Salvator mundi: Qui vivis
et regnas in saecula saeculorum. Amen.”
         A smile graced her lips as the final
words crossed them.  They were all truly
Metamorians now.  What better way could they have
started the new year than this?

----------

         Thomas stood at the balcony of his
chambers.  A light dusting of snow graced the
stonework, but this bothered his hooves none.  A
warm woolen coat covered his tunic, while his
thickest leggings kept the rest of him
comfortable.  His long tail swished back and
forth in the chill morning air.  Twilight hung
over the valley like a hand waiting to be
lifted.  Already the streets were marred by
merchants, travellers, shopkeepers, soldiers, and
other Keepers getting an early start to the new day.
         The new year. The last had been long
enough, but it had ended with such good news that
he could only imagine what good fortune might
befall them this year.  He dared not think of any
ill that could come to pass lest it
happen.  Metamor had been struck hard in the last
two years.  Perhaps this year they would find even more reasons to hope.
         His ears turned at the hard step of
hooves upon the stone.  Alberta slid next to him,
dressed in a light riding jacket and
breeches.  Her long ears folded against her spiky
mane, and she leaned into Thomas as he looked at
the city.  He slipped an arm around her back and
held her close. “What dost thee think of, my Thomas?”
         Far to the southeast he saw the first
sliver of sun rising behind the
mountains.  Shadows stretched long and far in the
city below. “It’s the first day of the new year,
but it feels like more somehow.”
         “Like a new age?” Alberta suggested
softly as she leaned into his shoulder.
         He whickered in delight.  How had he
ever managed without her?  She’d touched exactly
what he was thinking with a single word. “Aye,
that is it. A new age.  There were times I never
thought we’d make it here, but here we are.” His
eyes traced the path of an eagle-shaped Keeper as
they glided from a tower top down to the
city.  The first rays of the sun glinted off his
back, but sill he watched the Keeper land in the
city square. “And the best part is that I get to share it with you.”
         “And I with thee,” Alberta replied, a bray hidden beneath her words.
         Husband and wife held each other close,
laughing and nuzzling long snouts as the dawn
rose welcome and warm in that new age.

End of "Landing in a New Age"

!DSPAM:4aaa8a6d318111398310010!