[Mkguild] Proposed redesign of the Mages' Guild Tower

Skylos skylos at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 00:07:42 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Ian Jones <Ian.Jones at valpo.edu> wrote:

> I think that the design is not more efficient than a regular tower, but if
> done right it could be far cooler.

Insofar as 'removing stairs/ramps is cool' I suppose.  or 'making it four
times harder to get around the guild hall' is cool.

> A question you have to consider is whether Kyia's variable geometry affects
> the tower or not.  If it does, then this whole argument is moot.

The whole design is moot, Kyia puts you where you need to be whether or not
its logical, or whether you've conceptualized a portal shifting you between
floors or top/bottom.  You might as well be trying to formalize the rules on
which Kyia operates.

> Only if it doesn't do we have to wonder whether the tower will make your
> legs hurt as you go through it.

And have a design we can make a map of and discuss.

>  But putting in portals like you're describing just sounds tacky to me.

really?  Its just pragmatic.  they don't look like anything but a
continuation of the hallway through an arch - they just happen to be a
continuation of a different hallway.  What could be cooler than something
that is effectively takes you to a different floor but doesn't look anything
remarkable?

>   If you're going to do portals, put them in the center of the room and
> have one for each floor.  You can step off each floor into them, as well.

I don't know what you're on about here.  I don't mean like in the portal
game with the glowy things on a wall, that IS tacky.  I mean its an archway
that continues a hallway, just like any archway in a hallway.  Its just that
the floor in the archway connects to a different point than your previous
intuition might have suggested.

Personally, I think the tower's layout would be the best aesthetics-wise and
> efficiency-wise if it was done as a huge Mobius figure.  You would get all
> the benefits of walking up stairs and be able to use twice as much floor
> space!

Uhh... by using the floor and cieling?

> Of course, the non-mages' guild residents would have to go, because using
> both sides of the stairs would require that you use the floors in between as
> well.

Disagree.  such Stairwells do not require utilization of the other floors.

  You could just add more floors, but then the efficiency goes back down
> again.  Gravity would be re-oriented to whatever direction the nearest floor
> is, you could have bridges across the middle, and besides, how cool would it
> be to look up and find yourself in one of M. C. Escher's constructs?!

I think i'd probably puke.

Skylos

--
"If only I could get rid of hunger by rubbing my belly" - Diogenes

!DSPAM:4c6dc76b13961804284693!