[Mkguild] Dream's Aria: Dark Interlude (1 of 3)

Ryx sundansyr at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 11 05:34:06 UTC 2010

Reposting the entire thing due to the first section being bounced.

Ryx.
---<<>>---

Dream’s Aria:  Dark Interlude
Oct 28, 706 CR

Sir Yacoub Egland of Yesulam, Holy Knight of the Ecclasia, stared morosely at
the plain bowl of porcelain before him.  In the bowl was gleaming clear water
that reflected the wan torchlight of his recovery room.  That water would be
cold, he knew, and while he once may have paid little heed he was no longer what
he once was.
            Cold water, for one, clunk to his new pelt of short, fine fur quite
tenaciously without ever seeming to warm appreciably.  Since autumn was well
under way it was getting cooler and his rooms were feeling that chill.  He did
not look forward to another chilling bath out of that porcelain washbasin.  Nor
did he look forward to the ignominy of having another aide in his bathing
because of his weakened state.  He sighed heavily and looked down at his hands,
now like the rest of him given over fully to the change.
            Contemplating the two hoof-tipped thickened fingers and one thumb
that had replaced his once fine hands and nimble fingers he did not hear the
polite knock at his door.  The sound of a polite cough did finally interrupt his
fractured thoughts and bring his attention to his visitor.  A short woman, age
regressed by the villainy of the curse where Egland had been made a beast, stood
at the threshold bearing an arm load of towels and a fresh ewer of water.
            More cold water.
            “I’ve brought you some towels, Sire, and more water for your
rinsing.” She explained once he looked up and bade her enter with a nod of his
antlered head.  Egland, a knight of many years, accepted the weight atop his
head as normal, as he might a steel helm, but the balance was vastly different.
How elk in nature dealt with their cumbersome antlers he could not fathom.
Before becoming injured and trapped at Metamor, victim to its curse, he never
would have cared.  “I can call Angton to assist you with bathing if you wish.”
            That idea pleased Egland even less than the thought of bathing with
icy water.  “No.”  Angton, a huge burly man that he was could be gentle enough
but a bull gracing in a field had more personality.  “What is the hour, lass?”
            “Halfmark past the eleventh hour, milord.”
            Almost midnight, Egland realized.  The listless empty passage of
time in the healer’s rooms was playing havoc with his body time.  The curse
could not be helping that, either, he realized.  “Would the baths be usable at
this hour?”
            “Oh, aye.” The nurse nodded, “They’re available all the day and
night for those that keep such hours, milord.”
            Carefully drawing his crutches over Egland levered himself out of
bed carefully.  He had donned his tabard some hours before and suffered no
qualms of modesty.  Not that he would have had ne not been dressed for this
nurse had been one of the many who had been tending him since his untimely
crippling.  After he had tried and failed the death of his Patriarch where so
many others had perished under the attack of but one madman of incredible
ability and power.  Of a retinue of fifty only three survived.  Himself with
legs crushed beyond all but the touch of magic, and Metamor’s curse, to heal.
Bishop Vinsah who remained comatose even two weeks after the disaster and Kashin
who had lost an arm but retained his mobility.  That last had left to hunt their
attackers and exact vengeance and escape the touch of the Curse.
            “Point the way, if you would.” Egland hobbled inelegantly on the
rough wooden crutches toward the door forcing the nurse to move.
            “Well, sire, that’s not really a simple task, as such.” She wrung
her hands in consternation, “Where the baths are and we are, well, is all up to
how fickle the Keep wants to be.”
            Egland leaned on one crutch to take one of the towels and drape it
across his shoulders.  Tightening the belt around his tabard he hobbled through
the door with the small nurse at his tail.  “Ah, for blessed Yesulam, where the
forsaken walls don’t move.” He muttered.
            “Just a moment, sire, I’ll fetch someone to assist you.”
            “Nay, lass, nay.  I am whole and hale, if weakened.” Egland belayed
her hasty fetching of some other sad invalid to wander the cold corridor with
him at the turning hour of the night.  “This pilgrimage is betwixt Eli and mine
own heart, I shant bring others from their comforts just to shuffle alongside
me.”  So said he awkwardly drew open the outer door and stepped into the
corridor beyond.
            Or would have, had the broad spread of his antlers not caught
against the lintel and hauled him up short.  “Gods all bedamned horns!” he
swore, shaking his head violently free and staggering into the corridor.  “When
the master healer arrives have him fetch a bone saw.  I wish to be rid of these
fey things!”
            “As you wish, milord.  Have care and come back safely.” The nurse
called after him.
            Frustrated at his infirmary and the cumbersome weight upon his head
Egland made his way slowly down one corridor and then another.  Not attentive to
his own twistings and turnings and angrily aware that had he put more thought
into remembering his path the attempt would be moot a minute later.  The Keep
gave him creeping horrors the likes of which he had not known since childhood.
He had visions of the floor opening up at his hooves or the walls slamming
together where he stood.  Neither mental image, fatal as they might be, was as
terrifying as the thought of being sealed away in some stone room bereft of
window or door to perish alone.
            He heard the calling of the hour through a casement and looked out
at the starry darkness the view presented.  No torches were lit upon the curtain
wall, relying on the keen night eyes of those on watch, and the moon was waning
somewhere beyond the casement’s view.  Along the shadowed crenellations an
armored form moved on patrol.  “Eli, all Father, how have I failed you that I am
cast into this place of waking horrors?  Why did your good, kind servant
Akabaieth and so, so many others perish and we few of us survive only to live on
in such a cursed half-existence?” Egland asked, again, as he had since awakening
and finding the raccoon healer Coe hovering over him.
            “Why were we deemed not worthy to be brought unto you as the
others?”  He spoke toward the cold, distant stars with a familiar crushing ache
in his breast.
            “It is not the destination; it is the journey that defines who one
is when they arrive.”  A new voice, mellow and tenor, interposed gently on
Egland’s questions of faith bringing the elk knight about abruptly.  Irritation
and embarrassment burned in his ears and eyes at being caught in his weakness of
faith.
            Standing several paces away was the pine marten minstrel, Dream
Serpent, who had entered into Egland’s infirmary room the first time some six
days earlier.  He had since returned twice more to help Egland re-learn how to
use his hands and make music with his precious viola.  He was always nobly and
gaily garbed in the latest court fashions, insofar as fashions could be adjusted
to fit his long, sinuous form.  Now was no exception save perhaps being more
ostentatious than Egland had seen before.
            The dark brown marten was bedecked in a turquoise silk surcoat and
leggings etched with silver embroidery and gold piping.  Over this was an indigo
coachman’s long coat while deep azure boots adorned his feet.  Atop his head was
a broad-brimmed hat festooned with peacock feathers.  In contrast the dark brown
leather dulcimer case slung across his back looked like horse dung flung across
the dawning sky.
            “Your poetic reach is not well taken, minstrel.” Egland muttered
flatly.
            “Ah, ts’amut, be at peace.” Dream held up a placating hand.  “I was
merely observing an old verse.  When adversity strikes ever the faithful
question their faith.” The marten said as he approached languidly.  “A friend
once told me that without adversity we lose our faith, without conflict we
soften.” The minstrel’s head came barely as high as Egland’s chin.  Smiling,
Dream reached up a hand to clasp the taller elk’s shoulder encouragingly.  “The
gods do not look upon us in the throes of our adversity, giggling at our tails
like bullies, but rather wait to see what emerges upon the other side of them.”
            Egland looked quizzically down at the good spirited fop.  “You’re
waxing fine philosophy for one who cleaves to no faith at all.”
            Dream smiled hugely and then laughed.  “My friend, I am drunk!” he
chirruped happily.  “I always wax philosophical when I’m swimming in my cups.”
The hand fell from Egland’s shoulder to his elbow.  “Come; come, where ever it
was you were going.”
            “To bathe.” Egland did move, however, drawn from the black edge of
the abyss he had wallowed in quite enough already.
            “At this hour?  Ah, and a good idea it is, too!  The baths’ll be
vacant.”
            “Yes, and you’re about at such an hour as well?” Egland followed
Dream’s lead along the vacant hallways, the slender fop’s hand upon his elbow
like a courtier escorting some courtesan, following the marten’s lead along the
vacant hallways.
            “Beh!  Duke Tomas brought in a clot of his vassal nobles and spent
all of the day yammering about Metamor’s response to the inevitable lying of
blame for your Patriarch’s untimely demise.”
            Egland frowned.  “His murder.”
            “Oh, aye, no quibbling on that matter.  A dark, dark day that was.”
            “And their conclusions?”
            Dream released his arm momentarily to pirouette lazily as they
crossed an open courtyard bounded by an arcade to hang from a pillar, “No idea,
I came to play the banquet that followed.  The last drunken sod rolled his fat
rump out not long before the midnight bell.”  Spinning from the pillar Dream
danced into the inky shadows of a narrow passage.  The air in the courtyard was
still and cold with the bite of coming winter, brown leaves scattering across
the flagstones with a whisper like court gossips, stirred by a fitful breeze.
“Ah, hah, here we are.  Come along my smelly friend.”
            Egland followed more cautiously for the passage seemed tight but it
was the darkness within giving that seeming.  In truth it was both wide enough
and high enough to accommodate Egland’s frame and antlers.  He could hear the
minstrel scrounging about in the darkness.  Somewhere ahead was the sound of
water slowly moving and a warm draft of damp air whispered past to stir a brief
mist of fog along the arcade.
            “Ten paces and turn right, or you’ll flatten your nose on the wall.”
            “Can you find a light, minstrel?  I cannot see but blackness.”
After ten paces on his crutches Egland fumbled about to his right and found
another archway.

!DSPAM:4c3957cf168521122247586!