[Mkguild] Invigorating Faith (1/8)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Tue Jun 8 09:05:46 UTC 2010

My next story for Metamor Keep.  This story
concludes a few days before the main action in
Raven's "A Presence of Thieves"
(http://metamorkeep.com/story/A_Presence_of_Thieves1.php) commences.

It will be very helpful for this story to have
read "Last Tale of Yajakali"
(http://metamorkeep.com/story/ltoy/cover.php)
especially the bits of intrigue in the Midlands
as there is a ton of follow up on this.

Also, there'll be some juicy revelations about Metamor's past.

Without further ado, enjoy!

Metamor Keep: Invigorating Faith
By Charles Matthias

February 23, 708 CR

         Alberta had promised Thomas an evening
ride now that the snows from two weeks ago had
mostly melted.  A week of warm southerly winds
and clear skies had reduced Metamor’s supply to
small piles clustering in the shade of high walls
and dark alleys.  The grounds were muddy and wet
but another few days of sun would cure that in
the city.  The river would run high for a few
more months and the lowlands would suffer from
mud flats sucking wheels, boots, paws, and
hooves.  But everyone in the city was ready for
the coming Spring, each and everyone hoping that
winter had played it’s last trick on them.
         Thomas just hoped he wouldn’t be
scraping mud off his legs for hours after the
ride.  Still, it would be the first time they had
ridden together in anything resembling warm
weather since their wedding two months ago.  He
had already changed into his riding gear which
was modest but far more formal than the first
sort of riding gear Alberta had ever bade him
wear.  He chuckled lightly as he thought on
it.  He sincerely hoped the meeting his daughter
had asked him to attend would not take long.
         With a quartet of guards flanking him,
Thomas descended the still cool halls of Metamor
until they reached his private audience
chamber.  The guards took up their posts on
either side of the door after the bull Andhun
opened the door and cast a quick glance
inside.  Two people waited within, his adopted
daughter Malisa who served as his Prime Minister
and chief advisor in all matters and the young Follower priest Father Hough.
         Both stood at Thomas’s entrance but he
waved them back to their seats.  His private
audience chamber was where he typically held his
meetings with his closest advisors.  A table big
enough for not quite a dozen men occupied the
centre of the room lit by high windows facing
south and lanterns hanging from the ceiling.  A
sealed bookshelf containing maps and important
documents bearing laws and treaties was under
lock and key against one wall.  Matching
cabinetry holding wines and other libations
mirrored it.  A door in the rear wall near the
windows led to his private study now shut and
also under lock and key.  The grey stone walls
were coloured by tapestries and a painting of
Thomas made four years ago that he wasn’t
terribly embarrassed by.  Carpets were arrayed
beneath their feet in a modest display.
         “Good evening, Father Hough,” Thomas
said as he threaded his long tail through his
high-backed upholstered chair. “Please forgive my
appearance but I am going riding with my wife
after we speak.  What may we do for you?”
         Father Hough offered a kind greeting and
then withdrew an opened letter from his collared
tunic. “I received this letter today, your
grace.  It is from the newly appointed Bishop for
my diocese.  He is coming to Metamor in a few
days to inspect the faithful.  He asked me to
inform you of his coming.  He has no needs from
you other than safe passage; he and his entourage
will stay at the Cathedral while he is here”
         Thomas glanced to Malisa who kept her
face perfectly still. “I heard not long ago that
there was to be a new Bishop.  I’m surprised to
hear that his first official visit will be to
Metamor.” He glanced at the letter.  There was
nothing beyond what Hough had described except
for the Bishop’s identity.  Thomas saw the name
and felt every muscle in his body tighten.  He
looked at Malisa again, his dark eyes hard.  His
daughter nodded ever so faintly.
         The horse lord turned on the boy priest.
“The new Bishop is Tyrion Verdane?  The son of
Duke Titian Verdane of Kelewair?  The son of the
man who has tried to buy off many of my southern
vassals in the last ten years?  Let us not forget
that our last war to the south was with the new
Bishop’s grandfather!  That Tyrion Verdane?”
         Father Hough swallowed and nodded,
looking like a child who’d been caught sneaking
pastries from the kitchens. “I’m afraid so, your
grace.  In his defence, I have always heard that
he is a very devout man who believes in the
honour of the Ecclesia above the affairs of kings
and princes.” Hough paused, but the silence that
followed was so weighty he added in a somewhat
stronger voice, “He will only be here for a few
days.  As the Bishop, it is his right and duty to
inspect those under his pastoral care.”
         This last was met with icy stares from
both Thomas and Malisa.  The boy priest did not
wilt but instead sat a little taller in his
chair.  After a few moments, Thomas nodded and
waved one hand toward the door. “Thank you for
bringing this to our attention, Father.  I assure
you the Bishop will be protected all the while he
is in Metamor and that none will interfere with
his ecclesiastical mission.  There are matters my
daughter and I must discuss so please excuse us.”
         “Thank you, your grace,” Hough rose,
bowed, and then left by the way Thomas had
entered only moments before.  He took the letter with him.
         “As soon as he showed me the letter I
knew you’d want to know,” Malisa said after the priest had gone.
         “Thank you.  I cannot believe that
Titian’s whelp would be coming here just to
inspect the faithful.  He may be pious as Father
Hough says but he is still Titian Verdane’s
son.  I doubt he would have come here so soon
after his installation if not at the behest of his father.  But why?”
         Malisa tapped her thumbs together and
stared into space as much as into her mind.  Her
words were slow and deliberate when they came.
“Duke Verdane has been dealt a serious blow by
the loss of Bozojo.  With Lord Jaran Calephas
financially and militarily tied to you, he has no
feasible designs on Giftum anymore.  He has to be
clawing for some opportunity to regain what he’s lost in the last year.”
         “I agree,” Thomas said with a curt nod. “But what?”
         “He’ll never gain a foothold in
Metamor.  Not anymore, not with the Curses.  His
eldest son is a prisoner in Salinon, and the
father of his new heir is your subject now.  His
hold on the Southern Midlands is weak. Perhaps
Tyrion isn’t meant to spy on you or Metamor.  What could he gain by it?”
         Thomas’s tail flicked back and forth as
he considered the mutli-faceted
possibilities.  Politics was dizzying at the best
of times.  Guessing the motivation of a rival was
a game he’d played nearly all of his adult
life.  He needed to first know Verdane’s motives
and then he could guess what he might be trying to accomplish.
         The former was simple enough. “The
Verdane family has always wanted to unite the
Midlands under Kelewair and claim the title of
King of all the Midlands.  What his father
attempted briefly by war this one has attempted
through alliance and trade.  He married his
eldest son to Otakar’s niece a decade back but
she died shortly thereafter.  Had their marriage
prospered, he probably would have had enough
influence to win all of our southern fiefs
leaving us only with those under the Curse.”
         Malisa nodded quietly as her adoptive
father took a breath and continued marshalling
his thoughts aloud. “But with her death, Otakar
and Verdane have become rivals.  Otakar’s envoy
tricked us into signing an agreement honouring
each other’s territory while Otakar seized Bozojo
for himself.  Verdane’s people are tired from the
civil war he put down last year and now he’s lost
his other great asset, revenue from the trade on
the Marchbourne.  His desire to advance his
family is in shambles.  He wants nothing more
than to find some way to reverse his fortune.”
         “But,” Malisa interjected, “what does he gain by sending Tyrion here?”
         Thomas grunted under his breath and
tapped one hoof on the carpet. “I don’t
know.  And that worries me.  There has to be
reason other than seeing to the Follower
population.  I wish we could prevent him from
coming under some pretext, but Father Hough is
right.  If we tried, we’d alienate our own countrymen.”
         Malisa folded her hands tightly and
pressed them into the table. “Past visits from
members of the Ecclesia have ended far
differently than we expected.  The Patriarch’s
visit ended in disaster, but the Questioners
exonerated us.  Perhaps his grace truly only
wishes to see to his flock?  We need to keep an
eye on him.  And we should probably prevent Sir
Dupré from knowing he is here.  There’s no
telling what the ram will do to him.”
         “Ugh, aye.” Thomas shook his head, ears
lowered and eyes closed as if fruitlessly willing
away a headache. “I will send Nestorius a message
to keep Dupré in the dark regarding Bishop
Tyrion’s visit.  Let us hope the lion
succeeds.  Dupré has proven as good as his word
so far but it is far too early to start trusting
him.” The horse lord opened his eyes and tapped
one hoof-like nail on the table. “Where is Andwyn
anyway?  I’m surprised he didn’t warn us of the
Bishop’s coming.  He must already be in my
southern lands by now if he’s to arrive in three days’s time.”
         “Andwyn is up north personally seeing to
some manner of intelligence.  He should return
tomorrow.  I will brief him on what he will need
to do.” Malisa offered the last with a faint
smile. “I’ll talk to George and Misha about
shifting the patrols.  The valley has been pretty
quiet lately, but we’ll want to be sure.”
         “Make sure Father Hough tells them the
Bishop’s plans too.” Thomas sighed and shook his
head. “I don’t like this, Mal.  I don’t like it at all.”
         “Neither do I, Father.  But if he is up
to anything suspicious, we’ll learn soon enough.”
         Thomas stood on his hooves, stretching
his long legs a moment as he did so. “Very
well.  Thank you, Malisa.  Keep me informed.  I
want to know as soon as somebody sees the Bishop in the valley.”
         Malisa rose, a professional smile
crossing her lips. “I will.” She bowed her head
ever so slightly. “And you enjoy your ride,
Father.  I don’t want to keep you from your wife any longer.”
         They shared a knowing smile, Thomas’s
contentment returning to him just as quickly as
it had left. “Thank you, Mal.  Until tomorrow
then.  Good night.”  Malisa’s smile remained as
she left.  Thomas followed her a moment later,
the smell of wet grass, mud, horseflesh, and his
earthy wife already filling his mind with allure.

!DSPAM:4c0e07db181201345131859!