[Mkguild] Invigorating Faith (2/8)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Tue Jun 8 09:06:55 UTC 2010

Here's Part 2

Metamor Keep: Invigorating Faith
By Charles Matthias

February 26, 708 CR

         Tyrion fingered the gold-painted yew
that hung from his neck.  As a symbol of his new
office of Bishop, it was effective and
unmistakable.  It also gave new meaning to the
words ‘non sum dignus’.  He smiled faintly,
shifted his leg around in the carriage into yet
another uncomfortable position, and turned his attention to the open window.
         They’d passed the boundary of the Curse
early that morning and in that time he’d seen
creatures walking, working, and riding that he’d
never thought possible.  And that was in addition
to the many female soldiers patrolling the main
road north through the valley and children
working like men.  He’d known to expect all of
these things, but to see it was quite another.
         The valley was beautiful in a way that
his home could never match.  While Kelewair was
blessed with many nearby forests that would soon
burst into brilliant white, pink, and yellow
blossoms, many in Metamor Valley were green all
year long.  He’d known that some trees bore
needles instead of leaves but again, seeing it was altogether a new experience.
         And so it was with the mountains that
rose up like insurmountable towers on either
side.  Tyrion marvelled at them as much as
anything else his eyes caught on the long journey
north.  He absently massaged his deformed leg while his eyes took all of it in.
         “It is impressive,” one of his priests
said.  This one had an accent and an appearance
that marked him even more a foreigner in this
land than Tyrion.  His skin was sun-baked dark
but his eyes were bright if unreadable.  He bore
a black cassock with a red cross emblazoned on
the front; a sole mote of darkness in an
otherwise bright and vibrant world.  At his feet
curled a golden-furred dog who laconically wagged
his tail and turned his ears to listen to his
master’s voice. “Admire Eli’s handicraft but do
not neglect the beauty He gives in your homeland.”
         The two junior priests riding with them
were startled anew by the Questioner’s
willingness to instruct their Bishop.  Tyrion
didn’t mind.  He turned away from the window and
met the Questioner’s gaze with an interested
smile. “So tell us of your homeland.”
         The Questioner leaned back his head and
closed his eyes. “The late rains would be falling
about now and for the next few weeks.  It is a
beautiful time in Yesulam and all the Holy
Land.  Bright flowers everywhere covering once
parched earth.  Blossoms of pink, violet, yellow,
orange, and any other hue you can name.  The
river sparkles with the morning sun before
rippling with the afternoon rain.  Trees blossom
along the riverbanks.  In a few months they will
bear figs and fruits, dates will ripen, and
though the flowers, so delicate and so fragile,
will have withered, the grasses that came with
them will feed the flocks through the hot
summer.  The golden city will shine like a mirror
to the sun, bright with the virtue of its people
and the relief of a people who have seen an
eclipse come to an end.” His lips turned in a
slight smile. “That alone is as breathtaking as
it is heartbreaking.  What grace, ah!  That is
the beauty of my homeland, your grace.  A people
freed from an evil they could not name but knew was there.”
         Tyrion pursed his lips to reply but
found no words that could compare.  He turned to
the window and gazed for another minute in
complete silence.  A clattering of hooves spoke
of the approach of riders coming from the
north.  Tyrion shifted his poor leg then leaned
his head out and watched as a pair of ponies and
a pair of horses approached.  They slowed as they
neared the carriage.  Tyrion’s lead knight,
Captain Nikolai of the Wolf’s Claw — an
imposition from his father he did not appreciate
— bade the four riders to stop well in advance of the carriage.
         The riders were all beasts.  One
appeared to be a variety of northern deer, with
nubs for antlers growing just above his tufted
ears.  Beside him dressed in drab colours was an
ungulate like he’d never seen with long
spiralling horns, a white and black face, and tan
hide.  The two riding ponies were both rats, the
lead one dressed in chain mail, while the latter,
also in drab colours, had a black splotch over
his right eye as if he’d been burned.  Two unusual knights and their squires.
         The deer knight lowered his head after
coming to a stop and spoke to Captain Nikolai. “I
am Sir Yacoub Egland and this is Sir Erick
Saulius.” He gestured to the rat at his side. “We
have been sent to escort his grace to the Keep
where Father Hough awaits to receive him.”
         While Nikolai bantered briefly with the
elk, the Questioner, completely unseen in the
wagon from the knights, whispered, “Egland is one
of the knights who accompanied Patriarch Akabaieth to Metamor.”
         “He probably asked to be our escort,”
surmised one of the two newly made priests.  Both
were young men of unremarkable complexion, the
one thin and bookish and the other who’d spoken
swarthy with a face as plain as buttered bread and hair the colour to match.
         “I suspect you are right, Father
Purvis.” Tyrion drew his head back inside as the
carriage started along the road again, now with
the four Keepers leading them. “And did you
chance to meet the rat knight, Sir Saulius?”
         The Questioner shook his head while one
hand gently scratched behind the dog’s ears.
“Nay.  From the sound of his name he is probably
a Flatlander.  There have been other knights in
Yesulam from the Saulius horse-clan.  I never knew any of them.”
         Tyrion glanced out the carriage window
and was rewarded with a glimpse of a tall
alabaster tower rising over the forest of pines
flanking the road.  His lips twitched attempting
a relieved smile. “It should not be long now.  I
can see one of the towers.” He drew his prayer
beads from around his gold-threaded sash and
gestured for the other three priests to do the
same. “Let us pray the None for a safe and
successful time here in Metamor.  For each of us.”
         And for the next half hour, four men’s
voices locked in almost harmonious chant echoed
from the carriage, down the road, and through the
trees still glistening with the last of winter’s snow.

         Only a short time after their prayers
were concluded the road opened out into a wide
clearing with the river flowing briskly by on the
left. Tyrion and the other priests peered out the
carriage windows to see a large ridge surrounded
by high walls and strong ramparts.  A solitary
road led up one side of the hill, while the east
and west slopes were too steep to mount any
assault.  A town clustered at the base of the
hill, and it too was surrounded by walls, the
outer of which was still under construction,
though the gaps were few and far
between.  Already soldiers of various human and
beastly varieties walked those new walls with spear and bow in hand or paw.
         Sir Egland rode back until he was
alongside the carriage.  His dark cervine eyes
and countenance fixed on the Bishop immediately.
“Your grace, I am Sir Yacoub Egland.”
         “You once served Patriarch Akabaieth,”
Tyrion noted with what he hoped was a fatherly
smile. “Thank you for watching over us the last mile.”
         Egland’s ears flinched at the name of
his late charge but he did not lose his bearing.
“I now serve the Ecclesia here in whatever way I
can.  We are almost upon Euper.  That is the
small village you see before you.  We must pass
through Euper before we can ascend to Keeptowne
and Metamor proper.  Father Hough waits for you at the gates of the Keep.”
         “Lead on then, Sir Egland.”
         The deer knight nudged his steed who
gave a snort before leaping forward to retake the head of the column.
         “Euper didn’t have an outer wall when I
was here last,” the Questioner mused before
settling back in his seat hidden within the
shadows; even the red cross on his cassock was barely visible.
         “It looks like any other village I’ve
seen,” Father Purvis opined, though not unkindly.
“I do not see any churches though.”
         “Nor will you,” the Questioner added.
“Metamor is the ancestral home to the
Lothanasi.  Our creed is new to this land.”
         “Which makes our purpose here all the
more important,” Tyrion added.  His eyes followed
the wall as they passed through the town
gate.  The buildings were poor, ramshackle,
wooden things which hunched over the road or
toward each other like a gaggle of drunks
stumbling out of a tavern arm in arm.  Not unlike
many of the poorer sections of Kelewair, Tyrion noted.
         “I have heard,” the wiry priest with
pinched face said in a quiet voice, “that the
Library of Metamor is one of the greatest in the world.”
         “I did not have a chance to peruse it
when I was here,” the Questioner said in an
equally soft voice. “But this city is known for
producing literature for the amusement of the
literate and the betterment of bards.” His lips
attempted a smile but soon settled back into a
thin line. “I cannot vouch for the quality of the
tomes nor do I expect many will be of Follower
origin.  But I am certain that many will be of interest.”
         “There will be no time to peruse the
Library, Father Malvin,” Tyrion said kindly.  He
well remembered how studious Malvin had been in
his lessons these last five years.  Ordained a
priest only three months and yet he knew more
from his studies than many of Tyrion’s senior
clergy. “At least not on this trip.  Later perhaps.”
         The carriage tilted back with a jolt and
they began ascending the hill.  They proceeded in
silence up the incline.  The road levelled out
just as they passed through the massive gate in
the outer wall.  A broad field bereft of homes
but filled with building supplies and probably
squatters greeted them.  All of them watched now, silent and curious.
         Guards armed with long bows lined the
parapets of the inner wall and the short, stout
towers flanking the main gates.  Beyond they both
saw, heard, and smelled the city.  The main
thoroughfare was wide and flanked by Inns and
markets at first, before giving way to small
shops and the occasional home.  Baked goods,
fried and salted meats, scented oils and
perfumes, and the crisp tang of leather and steel
all mixed together with the abundant odour of a
cornucopia of beasts and man and their waste to
provide an olfactory tableaux that struck them
all at once.  Only the Questioner did not
recoil.  Even his dog lifted his snout to the
window and began to growl under his breath.  The
Questioner put forth his hand and pet the dog’s back to calm him.
         Many of the Keepers peered at them as
they passed though few for very long.  Most
looked at them, noted them, and then returned to
their business.  The carriage they rode in was
marked with the yew and colours of the Ecclesia
but no more.  If Father Hough had followed
Tyrion’s instructions, only a handful would even
know of his coming.  Word would spread quickly
now that he was here, but that suited his purposes too.
         The carriage passed through another
series of gates and entered a plaza before the
mighty castle.  Elaborate gardens were spread out
on either side of the terrazzo though only a few
brave stems bore flowers so early in the
year.  Shortly after they left the gardens behind
the horses and carriage drew to a halt.  A series
of steps led up to a high arched causeway
festooned with ivy leading to an open doorway
into the castle.  Standing at the base of the
steps was a boy dressed in a black clerical
robe.  Tyrion breathed a sigh of relief.
         Captain Nikolai opened the carriage door
and offered a hand to help Tyrion climb out.  He
accepted the hand only because it was offered and
climbed out a little unsteadily on his
clubfoot.  Behind him Father Purvis held out his
crozier and miter.  The latter was quickly placed
over his head almost covering his red hair while
the former he took and turned with the crook
facing outward.  Silently the three priests and dog filed out of the carriage.
         “Your grace,” the boy priest intoned as
he genuflected.  Tyrion offered his right hand
and the boy kissed the large ring. “I am Father
Francis Hough.  Welcome to Metamor Keep.”
         “Thank you,” Tyrion replied. “Both for
the welcome and for its modesty.  I am Bishop
Tyrion Verdane.  With me are Father Purvis and
Father Malvin, recently ordained priests who I
selected to aid me on this journey.  And recently
assigned to our Diocese is yon Questioner, Father—”
         He never was able to finish the
statement.  From out of the Keep bolted a silver
thing on four legs that vaulted down the steps
with a heavy whump and came to a stop right
before the black-clad priest.  Metallic frame
quivered and its eyes beamed with what could only
be canine delight.  Its jaws opened and with
unbridled exuberance barked, “Father Felsah!  You’ve come back!”
         The Questioner’s stony expression melted
into pure delight. “Hello Madog.” He bent down
and hugged the creature around the
neck.  Everyone gaped in astonishment.  The
golden-furred dog began growling in sudden alarm,
but Felsah turned and gently cupped one hand
behind his ear. “It’s okay, Rakka.  Madog is a friend.”
         The metallic fox and Rakka looked at
each other a moment, sniffing and then circling
each other and doing so again.  Even after canine
introductions Rakka appeared very uncertain and
whined softly.  But Felsah pet him gently and stilled his anxiety.
         Hough’s gaze was inquisitive. “So you
are the one who Madog befriended.”
         Felsah nodded as his smile began to fade. “That I am, Father.”
         Tyrion took a deep breath, and tried to
stifle the irritation he felt. “I am sure that is
only the first of many surprises yet to come in
the next few days.” A cool wind bent the growing
grass and curled around his neck. “I trust all
arrangements have been made for our stay?”
         “Aye, they have, your grace.” Hough
gestured toward the ivy festooned causeway with
both arms. “If you would all follow me and I will
show you the accommodations we’ve prepared.”
         Tyrion glanced at the afternoon sky and
then shook his head. “There is time yet before
Vespers.  I would like a tour of the convent
first before we go to the Cathedral.”
         Hough frowned but tried to hide it. “It
has barely begun to be built, but the Sisters
have a roof over their heads at least.  There’s not much more than that.”
         “Nevertheless, I fear this may be the
only time I will have to meet with them while I’m
here.  Let us go there first, and then after
Vespers, we can retire quietly to discuss matters of my visit.”
         “Of course, your grace. I’m sure the
Sisters will be delighted to welcome you.” Hough
gestured to the two knights and their squires.
“Sir Egland, Sir Saulius.  Thank you for
escorting his grace here.  Could you continue to
serve as his escort while he stays with us?”
         The rat knight put one paw over his
chest. “‘Twould be an honour to escort his grace, Father.”
         Hough smiled to them and then gestured
to the carriage. “It is not a long walk, but I
think it best if you ride in your carriage.  Our escort will guide us.”
         Tyrion looked between them and smiled.
“Most efficient, Father.” One by one all five
priests climbed into the wagon.  Madog nuzzled
Felsah one last time before following along
behind the carriage at a playful trot.

----------

         Though the convent was not much more
than a single small building under repair in
which the Sisters slept with a few suggestions of
new walls and a sanctuary space yet to be
constructed, the Sisters themselves proved to be
a solid foundation on which more vocations would
be built, or so surmised Bishop Tyrion after
meeting them.  Though Mother Wilfrida had become
a mallard with dull plumage and a voice accented
by the occasional quack, she displayed a deep
piety and at the same time canny understanding of
the needs and motivations of others.  Tyrion felt
more like a young child in her presence than he did with his own father.
         Father Purvis and Malvin absorbed all
with mixed degrees of shock and wonder, both the
odd appearance of the many Keepers they
encountered and the stares they received back.
Captain Nikolai, normally as expressive as a
brick, was even disturbed and especially so by
the few women soldiers they saw in passing.  Only
Felsah appeared immune to the incongruity of the
indigenous people.  He noted the convent and the
Sisters with one careful eye while the other
strayed to Rakka and Madog who in short order
became friends and chased each other as dogs left to themselves are wont to do.
         After Mother Wilfrida finished
explaining her intentions for the convent, all of
them returned to the Keep with the two animal
knights leading them.  The Sisters followed
behind at a walk to attend Vespers.  Once at the
Keep, Egland and Saulius led Nikolai and the
other soldiers to one of the stables where space
had been made available for their steeds.  Tyrion
and his priests followed Hough into the Keep.
         Through lightly furnished passages they
travelled for only a minute before reaching the
Cathedral.  Tyrion had seen more impressive in
his life, but not many.  What astounded him was
that it had been discovered in Metamor, not
built.  The Cathedral in Kelewair had been
painstakingly constructed over the course of
three generations of his family’s rule.  Over
night Metamor had gone from no place to worship
to an edifice of exquisite beauty rich in symbolism, art, and statuary.
         Hough took great pleasure in introducing
his six seminarians who he’d begun training in
the two years he’d been at Metamor.  They for
their part were overwhelmed with honour at
meeting him and each showed a strong sense of
piety and devotion.  That two of them were like
Hough and forever locked as lanky boy’s on the
cusp of adolescence did not surprise him.  That
two others were beasts, one a mouse and the other
a goggle-eyed reptile called a chameleon, was odd
but understandable at Metamor.
         What did take Tyrion by surprise was
that the two young men who were studying to be
priests had been born as women.  While back in
Kelewair he’d studied what they knew of Metamor
from the letters Father Hough had sent to the
previous Bishop.  He’d intellectually known of
this possibility, but the reality was far
different.  How could they react to a curse that
could change a man to a woman and vice
versa?  There were some vocations particular to a
man and some to a woman.  What was the proper
response to such a substantial change as between man and woman?
         Tyrion did not have the leisure to
consider those questions as the time for Vespers
came upon them.  He led the prayers for the
priests and Sisters and many others who had
gathered.  Already, word of his arrival had
spread amongst the Follower population of
Metamor.  It was a strange congregation to have,
but it was a hopeful sign in a pagan land.
         After Vespers, Hough had his seminarians
show them the rooms behind the Cathedral where
they could sleep the night.  But Tyrion and Hough
went to the young priest’s quarters at the
Bishop’s request.  Hough offered him cider which
Tyrion gratefully accepted.  Even more
gratefully, the clubfooted cleric accepted the
upholstered chair and settled within its
voluminous comfort with a pleased sigh.
         “You have a very unique parish, Father,”
Tyrion said with a curious grin as the boyish
priest settled himself in the opposite chair.  Both faced an empty hearth.
         “But a strong one.  Our unusual
circumstances help keep us together.” Hough
cradled his cup of steaming cider in his hands,
legs dangling off the end of the chair and
swinging freely. “We even regularly have some of the Rebuilders come to Mass.”
         Tyrion sniffed the cider and was
rewarded with a rich apple flavour still a bit
too hot to drink. “Have there been any conversions?”
         “Only a handful,” Hough replied. “I
don’t have time enough as I wish to reach out to
those who do not Follow the Way.” He lifted the
cup to his lips and blew across the heady broth.
“It is also a very large parish as I am the only
priest in the entire Valley.  There are Followers
living as far north as Hareford and as far south
as Jetta whose needs are my affair.  I wrote to
your predecessor asking for assistance several
times, but he was reluctant to send us any more priests.”
         The question in those words could not
have been more direct.  Tyrion blew on his cider
a moment and then said, “You were rather
diffident about coming here as well before you
were Cursed, Father.  It is sad, but it is a very
rare priest who will risk entering a field like
yours.  To enter it is to never be able to leave.”
         “Surely there must be some willing,”
Hough added in a slightly less demanding tone.
         “That is an inquiry I have been making.”
He sipped the cider and was rewarded with a crisp
flavour that warmed all the way down. “But I
cannot offer you any answers as of this
moment.  My purpose here is to ascertain the
needs of the Valley.  Once I have done that, I
will make what decisions seem prudent.  Whether
worthy or not, I am Bishop, and I will appoint
priests if I deem it necessary.  But in the case
of Metamor, I must exercise caution to ensure
that the priests I appoint have the proper disposition.”
         Hough’s expression relaxed some and he
nodded in thanks.  Tyrion did not wait further
before adding, “Your six seminarians are a good
beginning, but it will be at least another year
before any of them is ready for ordination, or so I gather.”
         “Ramad and Patric are the eldest and
have been with me for a year a half.” Tyrion
recalled that Ramad was one of the two who had
once been a woman and Patric was the chameleon
fellow. “Another year of study for both at
least.  It would go faster if I was able to give more time to their formation.”
         Tyrion ignored the implied request.
“Mother Wilfrida mentioned something about
refugees when we spoke.  To what was she referring?”
         “That is the other blessing and
challenge, your grace.” Hough appeared to slump
in his chair like a man who’d spent day and night
hacking at frozen earth to dig a trench. “The
Curse heals ailments when it changes a man; it
might even cure your clubfoot.  The refugees are
the survivors from Bradanes who have decided it
is better to be trapped here than to be treated as lepers.”
         The tragedy of Bradanes was known to
Tyrion as those people had once belonged to his
father.  That part of him loyal to his father was
irked that they would find a home here at Metamor
but the rest of him was relieved to know that
they would not suffer anymore. “How many have come?”
         “A little over four thousand have come
so far, counting children.  When Spring arrives
we expect an equal number if not more to arrive
seeking a new home.  Some will leave, those that
are still human, but most will remain.  All of
them are Followers and so far not a single priest
among them.  I’d hoped one would come and share
my burden but Eli has not provided that yet.”
         “It seems that my appointment as Bishop
could not have come at a more opportune
time.  For Metamor at least.” He took a longer
sip and savoured the taste for several seconds. “And you made this yourself?”
         Hough nodded. “An old family recipe.  It
is but one of the two indulgences I allow myself with what little time I have.”
         “And the other?”
         The boy priest actually blushed.
“Playing with Madog.  He’s the metal fox who
greeted Father Felsah.  He was one of the first
to befriend me and he found the Cathedral within
Metamor.” He lowered his eyes. “I know it seems
frivolous, but because of the Curses, sometimes I
just need to be a little boy with his dog.”
         Tyrion felt on somewhat stronger ground
now that his host, who in truth was older than
he, was more a boy in manner than a man. “If
Madog can make even a Questioner smile and laugh,
then he truly must be a blessing.  I’m glad of
it.  Now,” his tone deepened, serious and
commanding like his father often used. “Tomorrow
is Sunday.  I wish to begin the day with prayers
with your seminarians, some time for discussion
and teaching, and then I will celebrate the Mass
and would like you and the other priests to
concelebrate.  Afterward, I intend to begin my
travels through the Valley.  You know this
land.  My intent is to see for myself the state
of the Follower communities here.  Once done, I
will make my decision regarding whether to
appoint any other priests here.  I will do so
before I leave the Valley so you will not need to be in any further anxiety.
         “But, I need you to teach me now what to
expect and where to go so I can make the best of
my time here.  I do not wish to be trapped here.”
         Hough nodded and turned the cup around
in his hands. “You might be anyway.  If brigands
or Lutins attack you, you may be trapped here.”
         “I am in Eli’s hands.  If that is His
will, then it will come to pass.” Tyrion smiled.
“But for now, tell me of the Valley, of its people, and of our people.”

----------

         The stables were rich with the scent of
horses, hay, manure, and the sweat and musk of
the ostlers.  Even up in the hayloft overlooking
the stalls of stamping and snorting horses,
Charles and Saulius could not escape the earthy
odour which permeated through their clothes and
fur so that they smelled more like their ponies than they did rats.
         As Charles finished stacking hay bales
on either side of a space big enough for the two
of them to sleep he lowered his whiskers, curled
his tail around one leg, and frowned. “Why are we
sleeping up here again?  There were rooms in the
Long House for us, or the cellars, or even with
Sir Egland who offered.  It’s not that I mind the
smell — I rather like it to be honest — and it
isn’t even that cold, but it does seem the least
comfortable accommodations you could have picked
apart from sleeping in the street.”
         Sir Saulius spread a mat of loose hay on
the wooden railing and grimaced when he found a
tattered washcloth that reeked of things fouler
than horse droppings.  He tossed that aside and
snuffled a moment before replying. “Aye, we could
have slept there.  But I hath two reasons for
bringing us here.  The first, thou shouldst spend
some nights sleeping close to thy steed.  ‘Twill
bond thee tighter as it should be.”
         Charles glanced over the railing to
Malicon his roan pony who looked so small next to
the chargers in the adjacent stalls.  Much like
he as a rat was smaller than most of his friends.
“I love him already.  He’s a good friend.” He
unrolled his blanket and a suspicious moue
crossed his snout.  His vine tightened about his
chest. “What is your other reason?”
         The knight set his rolled-up blanket
down and leaned his elbows on it. “‘Twas nothing
more sinister than a desire to provide you with
privacy my good squire.  Charles, thou thinkest
many things, I dost see it in thy eyes and in thy
manners.  Had we spent the night anywhere else,
other ears would hath gleaned thy words.  But
here, ‘tis only the two of us.  Wouldst thee
share thy thoughts with me?  Thou hast been of
great help to me in my years here and I wouldst
be of help to thee in thy troubles.”
         Charles straightened out a wrinkle in
his blanket as his moue deepened. “I do not know
what you wish me to say.  I am home after a long
journey.  I have my wife and my children
again.  You and Misha have already started
squabbling over my allegiances — don’t think I
haven’t noticed.  A darkness may loom before me
that I must beware, one that has already struck
Lindsey and Kayla.  And let us not forget that my
youngest child died while I was off defeating
that darkness in Marzac.  Truly, what is there for me to say?”
         Saulius did not flinch even when his
friend’s acute words drew on him.  He lifted his
mail shirt over his head and draped it over the
makeshift armour tree he’d had Charles erect
after climbing into the hayloft.  But his
whiskers drooped. “Thou hast many pains in thy
heart, Charles.  And thou hast numbered
them.  ‘Tis never been my intent to cause thee
anguish, only to provide thee with a duty and a
calling suited to thy talents that wouldst keep thee close to thy family.”
         “My skills are more suited to being a
Long Scout.” Charles removed his mail shirt and
gazed at it as it dangled from his paws slick
with oil. “This I know you know to be true.”
         The knight lay his sword and buckler at
the base of the armour tree. “Aye.” He sighed
heavily and shook his head. “But it shalt always
take thee from thy loved ones.  Not for a day or
two or three, but for a week, a month, perhaps
longer.  ‘Tis a poor way to be a father.”
         “There are other Longs with children.”
Charles hung his armour and took a long deep
breath with his eyes closed. “A soldier will
always have times when they must go into the
field and leave loved ones behind.  You cannot
change that, Erick.  I have always known
that.  Falling in love, marrying, and having
children has not changed that.  And Misha has
been extremely gracious in allowing me time to be
with Kimberly and the children since my
return.  I have not had to leave them until you
informed me of this duty to escort the Bishop!”
         Saulius lowered his ears, chagrined.
“Charles... I... I hath a great love for thee and
thy kin.  Of all I know in Metamor, there be none
but thee that I dost wish one day to ride to
battle side by side.  Perhaps I hath asked of
thee too much for my own sake.  I... I dost truly
wish to ride with thee to battle,
Charles.  Nothing wouldst e’er bring me greater
joy than to have thee at my side, nay, rather, to
be at thy side in defence of home and faith.”
         Charles’s anger cracked under those
words, uttered with such reserved emotion,
emotion held tightly back like a catapult.  How
often had he underestimated the devotion the
other rats treated him with.  In part he hated
that devotion because he knew himself unworthy of
it.  He had not spent his years starting his day
in the cellars with them to be adored; all he’d
ever hoped was that they would no longer hate
being rats.  This he’d accomplished and it
brought joy to his heart.  But in some ways, it
ached to see that each of them in some small way still depended on him.
         And now for perhaps the first time, he
saw that Sir Saulius depended on him too.  He
turned away from the knight’s hopeful gaze and
looked down at his pony.  Malicon was gratefully
eating from the feed trough.  Slowly, the rat
crouched over his blanket, the hay cracking
beneath in a soft whisper. “One day we
will.  Here at Metamor, it cannot but be a
certainty.  Perhaps tomorrow we may be forced to
test our mettle against brigands or Lutins come
to despoil the Bishop.” He shook his head. “Don’t
ask me to be a knight because you fear I will be
less of a brother to thee as a scout or anything else.”
         Saulius turned away and
brooded.  Charles took those moments to seek his
Sondecki Calm, that blessed place in the desert
beneath the stars that soothed all his agony and
tamed all his anger.  Only for some reason it
didn’t.  Something seemed wrong that he couldn’t
place.  Some disturbance that lingered at the
periphery of his awareness, like a shadow on the
horizon that could be either silhouette or
stone.  As a phantasm it did not menace, nor did
it make him feel small or vulnerable.  It was
more a thorn beneath his tunic, something that
kept him from achieving his Calm.
         Before he could turn to investigate it
further, his friend’s voice, quiet and pained
though it was, cut through his meditation. “If
thou dost wish no longer to serve as my squire,
then I wilt release thee from thy duty.”
         Charles opened his eyes and shook his
head. “Nay, Erick.  I do not wish to cease being
thy squire.  Not as such.  I just... I don’t know
what I want.  I... I want my son back.” He said
the last so suddenly that he felt his heart catch
in his throat.  It was now he that turned away
and hid his face.  He gripped the vine through
his linens and clutched tightly.  It responded by
gently pulling closer against his flesh, soft
leaves so velvety and tender that they could not help but sooth him.
         “He wast a sweet lad,” Saulius replied
distantly, a heavy sadness in his voice where
once he’d been restrained. “He always asked after thee.”
         “Kimberly has said as much... when she
is willing to speak at all.” Charles took a deep
breath and pushed back the wave of misery that
threatened to consume him. “Please I do not wish
to speak of this.  Please.  Let us say prayers
for the night and sleep.  Tomorrow is gong to be
a long enough day as it is.  If I start to speak
of this now I will get no sleep and neither would
you.  And what sort of squire would let his
knight serve with so little sleep before such an important man as the Bishop?”
         Saulius opened his snout to say
something more but nothing came.  He shook his
head after a moment and let whatever reply he had
remain in his heart.  He knelt, tail draping over
his long fleshy paws.  Some of his toes lifted to
cradle his tail. “Then let us pray, squire
Charles.  I shalt pray for thy heart if thou wilt pray for mine.”
         “Agreed, Sir Erick.” He felt more at
ease though the ragged pain still crouched just
out of sight.  He knelt next to Saulius and the
two of them bowed their heads in prayer, paws
clasped before them.  Saulius led them and
Charles intoned the responses.  They were prayers
both had said many times before, prayers for
protection, guidance, and deliverance in battle,
but the words seemed weighted with significance
unknown before.  When they finished, they both
made the sign of the yew, each knowing a subtle
lightening of air.  Without another word they
crawled beneath their blankets.  Charles
extinguished the lantern plunging them into true
night.  Below them whickered horses and ponies in equine indifference.

----------

         It was no surprise to Felsah that he
found it impossible to sleep.  He’d never been
able to truly sleep while at Metamor, either when
he’d come to investigate the Patriarch’s murder,
or when he’d been brought to heal.  Now that he
was here with the new Bishop for purposes that he
suspected but could not confirm, his nighttime
rest was haunted by both hope and dread.
         Bishop Tyrion Verdane might ask him to
stay at Metamor.  Or he might be asked to return
to Kelewair.  But which of these possibilities
was it that he hoped for and which did he dread?
         So he as the night continued, he prayed
his breviary and waited.  Rakka had no difficulty
sleeping at least.  But when he did stir just as
Felsah concluded the Divine Office, the priest
knew that his expected nocturnal had arrived in a
way as mysterious as his appearances always were.
         Felsah closed his breviary and smiled. “Hello, Madog.”
         From behind him gently yipped the
metallic fox. “Hi, Father!  Hi, Rakka!” The
golden-furred dog crept out from the foot of the
simple bed and sniffed at the automaton again.  His tail started to wag.
         “Thank you again for rescuing me and
taking me back.  I am in your debt.”
         Madog’s ears tilted as if he’d started
speaking a different tongue mid-sentence. “No debt, Father.  You’re my friend.”
         Felsah sat cross-legged between the two
canines, one golden of fur and the other silver
of metal, and gently stroked down their
backs.  Rakka leaned against him and wagged his
tail, his body warm and his fur soft and
pleasant.  Madog leaned against him too, though
not so forcefully, and wagged his tail as
well.  But his flesh was metal and felt no warmer than a sword.
         Despite the oddity of touching a machine
that moved, it still warmed his heart just as
much as the simple relationship he’d forged with
Rakka since adopting him from former Grand
Questioner Mizrahek.  The dog had such a sweet
disposition yet nevertheless would fight to
protect those he loved.  He was grateful that
Rakka had quickly accepted Madog as a friend too.
         “Why did you come back to Metamor, Father?”
         Felsah let his hand rest on Madog’s back
above his shoulder.  Blue eyes gazed at him from
within that incunabulum of iron and mithril with
the simplicity of a child. “I was ordered to come here by my superiors.”
         “But why?”
         “I do not know all the mysteries of
their wisdom, but I know that they have been
placed in authority over me by Eli.  If I am to
obey Eli, then I must obey those He has given the
task of shepherding His people.”
         Madog’s tail wagged twice. “I’m glad they sent you here, Father.”
         Felsah shook his head, his smile fading
back into the familiar line of the Questioner
face. “I have not yet been sent here.  I am
accompanying his grace the Bishop for now.  If it
is his will, I shall remain.  If he bids me
return to Kelewair, then to Kelewair I will go.”
         If this disturbed the automaton, he did
not show it.  Madog turned his head to one side
as if considering the answer.  What conclusions
he reached were not any more clear when he asked
his next question. “Do you want to stay at Metamor?”
         “In part,” Felsah admitted with a hint
of mirth. “In part I would like to stay for this
is a wondrous land that can be a beacon of faith
to the rest of the world and not just a bulwark
against chaos.  Another part of me fears what the
Curses would do; I have dearest companions who I
might never see again should I stay here.” He
thought of Kehthaek, Akaleth, even Kashin and Sir
Czestadt.  The latter was ironic given that it
was Sir Czestadt who’d nearly killed him and from
whose blows Madog had brought him to Metamor to
heal.  But redemption was greater than fear.
         He resumed petting Madog. “But both of
these are held in check by my truest desire, to
love and to serve Eli.  If it is His will I serve
here, then I will and do so with joy.  But if it
is otherwise, then I will go where I am needed
and do so with joy.  Regardless, I shall carry
the memory of your friendship with me wherever I go.”
         Madog wagged his tail and panted in
canine delight. “I know you’ll be a bright light,
Father.  I hope you stay, but I won’t forget you
either if you have to go.” He rose and padded
toward the small entrance through which he’d
come, an entrance that had not been present an
hour before. “Good Night, Father.  I’ll ask her
to keep a place for you just in case!”
         “Thank you, Madog.” He laughed warmly as
the automaton disappeared into the obscurity of
the Keep.  When his friend was gone, he only
needed to say one more short prayer before his soul could surrender to sleep.

!DSPAM:4c0e0820181951075618241!