[Mkguild] Heraldic Beginnings (2/7)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Sat Dec 31 18:47:56 UTC 2011

Part 2!

---------

Metamor Keep: Heraldic Beginnings
by Charles Matthias

March 21, 708 CR

Charles woke the next morning to a wonderful
sight – Lady Kimberly laying with her snout
pointed toward him, her paws curled up beneath
her chin, and tail tucked up almost within reach
of those paws. He hadn't had much sleep, but what
time he'd spent at the altar the night before
seemed to have made up for it. As he licked the
cobwebs out of his mouth blinked them from his
mind, he stretched one arm and gently stroked his wife's ear.

She flicked her ear and then blinked open her
eyes. Irritation faded quickly into warmth and
delight. She reached out her left arm and draped
it over his chest, claws clutching firmly in his
side. For a moment Charles's bleary mind feared
she would recoil when she felt the pliant warmth
of the vine, but when her arm met only the fur of
his chest he recalled that he'd placed it within
the flagstones at the side of his bed for the
night. With a pleased sigh his paw stroked down
her cheek and then over his shoulder. “Good morning, my lady.”

“Good morning, my man,” she replied, her voice
the sweetest and most beautiful thing he could imagine to begin his day.

“Did you sleep well?”

“The best I have had in weeks,” she admitted,
slipping closer to him so that her chest pressed
against his side. He held her close, the warmth
of their bodies making the already warm mattress
beneath the quilts as warm as the brush of steam
from freshly boiled tea or cider.

“Me too,” he replied, gently brushing their noses
together. “I'm tired of waking up alone.”

“Aye.”

For several long seconds neither said anything,
arms wrapped tight, fingers and claws gently
searching through the fur on their backs. Then,
filled with the rich scent of his lady, Charles
murmured, “With what shall we break our fast?”

“Whatever we want,” Kimberly said, nuzzling her
snout against his chest. “But not muffins. I'm a little tired of them.”

“No muffins then,” he laughed. “And then... we
can try teaching the children some manners at table.”

It was her turn to laugh. “You can! They're not even a year old.”

“Yet they seem three,” he whispered and closed
his eyes. “I'll have to begin teaching them their
letters soon too. After we go home.”

“Home...” Kimberly's voice filled with yearning,
but no trace of the weariness that had often
marred her speech last night. “When are we going back? I miss the trees.”

“In a few days I think. Today is Wednesday and I
have not been able to celebrate Liturgy here in a
very long time. We can leave after that. Four
days then. Unless you want to stay for something more...”

“Well, you missed the wedding so no, there's no
more reason to stay. But what will we do with four days?”

Charles would have to ask her later how the
wedding of Bernadette's son had gone in the midst
of the plague. For now, his thoughts turned only
on the delicate curve in her flesh, the driving
fragrance of her fur, and the gentle tone of her
voice. He rubbed her back firmly with one paw and
their tails curled together beneath the quilts.
“What will we do? Whatever we feel like, my Lady.
Whatever we feel like. And whatever it is, we'll do it together.”

He could feel her snout stretch into a smile
against his chest. Her satisfied sigh was sweeter than any birdsong.

----------

March 22, 708 CR

“You wanted to see me?” Charles asked as he
stepped into Misha's office in Long Hall that
morning. He'd just come from breaking his fast
with his family in Gregor's shop where they'd
enjoyed some of the capybara's new meat and
cheese-filled morsels, when he'd received the
summons from the head of the Long Scouts. They
had returned together after Charles promised that
he would take them to play outside in the gardens
when he was finished. The thought of playing
outside was more than enough to keep his children
boisterous, and his reassurance comforted
Kimberly who's whiskers drooped when the message came for her husband.

Misha was standing on four legs beside the oaken
desk with a map of the valley stretched across
the top; mugs of cider and ale held the corners
down. The centaur-like fox looked up, one ear
lifting and tail wagging in delight when the rat
entered. Standing with him around the table was
the tall red-haired Laura, the gray-furred ferret
Finbar, and the one-handed child Lisa who had a
step stool so she could see more easily.

“Charles! I'm glad you could make it. I promise,
this won't be long.” A small mischievous smile
crept over his narrow snout. “I know we all want
to see you try swinging from the balcony by your
tail with your child holding each of your paws again.”

Charles laughed at the memory of the craziest
thing he'd done yesterday, well remembering how
much his children laughed and squealed their
delight as they spun through the air, as well as
the expression of worry that blanketed his wife's
face. “I think Kimberly will break my tail if I try it again.”

“She did look like she wanted a heavy skillet to swing,” Finbar said.

Both Laura and Lisa shook their heads while the
three men laughed together. Charles closed the
door behind him and then came to the table. “So why did you need me?”

Misha gestured at the map. “I wanted to take a
moment to discuss some plans for the Valley's
defense. With you at Glen Avery, there may be
some opportunities we can follow through on to
make sure we keep the northern lands secure.”

“There's only so much I can do myself; most of
the time I just double as another Glen scout, either on paw or hoof.”

“I want to improve coordination between Hareford,
the Glen, and Lake Barnhardt. There's too many
old rivalries between them and that's making my
job, not to mention George's harder.”

“You aren't going to solve that,” Charles pointed
out. “And don't tell me there weren't rivalries
between the families of Marigund.”

The fox's eyes lifted in irritation and he
nodded. “One reason I'm glad I'm here and not
there! Things here make much more sense than they
did there! But that's not my point. I was hoping
we might give them all more reason to work
together. You live at the Glen and know her
people. Laura has spent a good bit of time at
Hareford these last few months; and half of those
troops are from Metamor to begin with. If you
have any suggestions I would like to hear them.”

Laura ran her fingers along the map near the
Giant's Dike and the old fort of Hareford. “You
won't have any problems with the troops at
Hareford. They are very capable; they just need
more time getting to know the land. Both Lord
Nestorius and Sir Dupré seem to understand that.
Since he's arrived there, Dupré has been getting
the troops out into the forests and hills around
Hareford every week; he's running patrols
constantly. And to be honest, I've never seen a
man pick up on the strengths of the land faster
than he. If he's as loyal as he professes, we'll
be very lucky to have him there.”

Misha nodded and shifted his hindquarters until
he was sitting on his haunches. “I was going to
ask you about him. Nestorius at first seemed very
fond of him, but the last few times I spoke with
the lion he was much more distant; he wouldn't say why.”

Laura frowned. “That is what worries me. Dupré
has a vicious temper and he lost it with Lord Nestorius. They fought and...”

“And what?”

Charles's ears perked up as he and the rest
waited for the woman who'd once been a man to
finish her thought. “He kicked Nestorius in the... um...”

Both rat and fox widened their eyes and shifted
about a little, while Finbar just laughed. “The
old lion probably deserved it. I would have loved to have seen his face too.”

“That's the problem,” Laura replied with a shake
of her head, one lock of her red hair falling
across her shoulder only to be shoved back with
another flick. “Nestorius didn't deserve it, he just got in Dupré's way.”

Misha stopped laughing and frowned. “We'll have
to keep a tight leash on Dupré if he cannot put one on his temper.”

“If he could manage that, he'd be formidable.”

“George said he was when he met him many years
ago,” Misha added as he stood back up on all
fours and paced back and forth, eyes fixed on the
map until he sat back down again and looked at
his fellow Longs. “Being exiled and parted from
his family is probably the cause. Now, before our
rat friend decides to emulate the ram, what of
the Glen? How can we win their trust to work with Hareford and the Lake?”

Charles waved one paw and gave the fox a sour
look. “I'm not going to do anything like that,
Misha. You know I don't lose my temper that way.”

“I know,” Misha said with a faint yip. “I'm sorry.”

But the rat had already forgiven his friend. “As
for the Glen, well, if the Valley is threatened
they'll fight alongside the Lakeland folk;
otherwise it won't happen. They have been
fighting over a strip of land between them for
over a generation; we aren't going to overcome that.”

“They need their heads knocked together,” was Finbar's assessment.

“Maybe,” Charles begrudgingly admitted. “As for
Hareford... well... they never have anything good
to say about them; at least not after the folk at
Hareford stayed in their castle while Nasoj was
attacking the Keep over a year ago. And I don't
think that's going to change unless Haerford's
forces have some victory on their own. There's a
lot of resentment that Hareford hid while the Glen bled.”

Lisa shook her head and drummed the fingers of
her only hand on the map. “That's not fair. The
blizzard kept Hareford pinned down. They spent a
week shoveling themselves out even after Nasoj was driven back!”

“And they've been told that,” Charles said with a
long sigh. “But when a man like Angus believes
Hareford is full of nothing more than craven
children, then you can imagine what the rest think.”

Lisa was about to object when Misha waved one
paw. “Charles is right. I need to think on this.
There may be an opportunity for Hareford to show
her worth, but I do not see it yet. Still, it
seems we have our work cut out for us. Finbar, I
want your squad to be ready to head to Hareford
tomorrow. You'll be leading them on an expedition into the Giantdowns.”

Finbar grinned. “Who are we going to kill?”

“Nobody that I know of,” Misha laughed and then
lowered his ear, all serious. “We need to keep an
eye on the human settlements that have broken
free of Nasoj. And we need to keep watch over the
Lutins. One tribe may want peace, but there are
plenty more than that who don't. So...”

“Usual reconnaissance,” Finbar finished. “That we
can do. Everybody's itching to get out of Metamor.”

“I am too,” Misha exclaimed with a heavy sigh.
“I'm sure I'll come up with some excuse that will drive George crazy.”

“He can handle it,” Finbar said, his grin widening. “He's a big boy.”

“Aye. Now, Charles, I want to see if we can
resume the lines of communication we had with you
before this plague business. We need to know what
the Glen Scouts know and fast. And of course, if
we know something, they'll need to know it fast.”

“I can do more than just pass information along,” Charles pointed out.

“Aye, how well I know that! We'll need to discuss
it with Lord Avery and Angus, but I'm sure we can
get them to agree that you ought to have more say
in the arrangement of their scouts and defenses.”

Charles frowned a little. “I do not think they
appreciate meddling from Metamor either.” He held
up a paw to forestall the fox's objection. “I am
not saying that is what it is, only that is how
some of the Glenners see it. They are very proud
people, Misha. You should know this.”

“With good reason to be proud,” Laura added with
a chuckle. “Their scouts could teach most of ours a lesson or two.”

“I know,” Misha said as his eyes trailed once
more to the map. “They really are some of the
best. Which is why I want to make sure we
coordinate with them better, and that means we
need Charles in some position to help organize
them. But... that will have to wait until I can
spare the time to come to the Glen. For now,
we'll go back to passing messages and keeping each other informed.”

“Very well. What else do w have?”

“Lisa, could you go over the troop assignments
for the next few months?” Misha smiled to the
one-handed girl, the mischief filling his gray
eyes. “And keep it simple. There are still some
rafters Charles hasn't swung by is tail from yet!”

The rat shot his friend a dirty look before
chuckling and shaking his head; it was good to be back!

Lisa did as Misha asked, and within another ten
minutes the meeting came to an end. After wishing
Finbar and his team a safe journey, Charles left
to find his family, but not five steps from
Misha's office ran into a very familiar face, one
that was almost as familiar to him as Kimberly's.
She brightened and jumped to her feet when she
saw him, long monochromatic tail dancing behind her back.

“Kayla!” Charles laughed and gave her a friendly
hug. “It's good to see you again. Were you waiting for me?”

“Aye, but not long,” she said after greeting him.
“I wasn't sure how long you planned to stay in
Metamor, but I had an idea and I hoped you'd be able to come.”

“To come?”

“I sent messages to Lindsey and James too, and
Jessica's come back to Metamor already. I was
hoping that we five could just meet and share a
meal again together, like old times. I know you want to be with your family.”

“That's a wonderful idea,” Charles exclaimed,
face brightening at the mere thought of seeing
his traveling companions in one place again. I'm
sure Kimberly and the children will love to meet
each of you too. The children especially; I've told them stories.”

Kayla's face brightened. “Oh, I can't wait to
meet them! But... I can't right now. I have to go
meet Rickkter. I'll let you know when I have everything arranged.”

Charles took a deep breath and smiled to the
skunk. “Thank you, Kayla. It won't be hard to
find me – just look for any of my family and
you'll find me; but James is on patrol right now.
It might be hard for him to get away.”

“If he can't make it, we'll manage. We did want
to keep an eye on each other,” she said with a
slight suggestion. Charles nodded, grimly
remembering the evil bell that had nearly
consumed the donkey, as well as the dragon that
had tried to subsume Kayla herself, or that thing growing in Lindsey's pouch.

“Aye, that we do,” Charles agreed. “I'm sure
whatever it is, it isn't finished with us.”

“No, it can't be.” Kayla lowered her eyes for a
moment, and then her expression brightened and
she gave Charles a firm squeeze. “Oh, you go have
a lovely day with your family. I will see you again soon, Charles!”

Charles laughed and hugged her right back. “You
know what Rickkter will do if he sees you hugging me like that!”

“He'll keep his mouth shut if he knows what's good for him!”

Those few words kept Charles laughing and
skipping all the way to the gardens where his family waited.

!DSPAM:4eff58dc115031804284693!