[Mkguild] Heraldic Beginnings (5/7)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Sat Dec 31 18:52:01 UTC 2011

Part 5!  This scene is a little rough and may be revised before being
posted on the archives.

---------

March 25, 708 CR

Charles and his family began the day with a trip to the baths. Heated
baths were not so easy to come by in Glen Avery as most folks just
took their dip in the lake, but he was not going to let this last
opportunity slip by him. And judging by the look on Lady Kimberly's
snout when he suggested it that morning, he knew he'd made up for his
occasional gawking at the suggestively dressed Magyars.

Of his children, only little Baerle seemed frightened of the water
still. While the rest splashed in one of the shallow wading pools,
their youngest daughter curled up in the farthest corner she could
find, tail tucked up to her nose. Kimberly tried to coax her out of
the corner with sweet words, but their little girl just shook her
head. Charles tried to pick her up but she squeaked defiantly every
time he got close. Eventually he just picked her up anyway, held her
at arms length while she squirmed like a snake, and then dunked her
in the pool while Kimberly rubbed the cleaning salts through the back
of her fur. She spent the entire time squeaking or coughing when
water got down her throat.

Of course, once she was clean, she joined her brothers and sister in
frolicking as if the baths were the most amazing place in all the
world. Exasperated parents just looked at each other and then turned
to their own cleaning needs while keeping an eye on their children.

They were not alone in the baths. The hot, humid air was so thick
that it overwhelmed all but the strongest of musk, but none of the
patrons that day smelled so potently as to be noticeable. The baths
were always popular, but more so on a day just after a heavy rain. Of
the many others who came into the baths, he only recognized a few,
but one in particular caught his eye. There was no mistaking the
hulking green-scaled, red-robed form of the Steward of Metamor,
Thalberg himself. But Charles had never seen the other alligator,
this one clearly a woman by her dress, that accompanied him. Nor had
he ever heard the Steward speak as gently as he heard him speak to
the other alligator.

"That's Miriam," Kimberly told him when he asked. "She's one of the
refugees from Bradanes. Bernadette says Thalberg has been spending a
lot of time with her lately."

"No I didun," their elder daughter piped up from behind them.

Kimberly laughed and wrapped one arm around little Bernadette's
shoulder. "Oh, I wasn't talking about you my little treasure."

The two alligators moved off into the deep end of the pool where they
were completely obscured by the steam rising from the water's
surface, and despite spending nearly another quarter of an hour there
making sure that all of his children were clean, and then another
fifteen minutes drying themselves, he never saw a single green scale
emerge from that cloud again.

They returned to the Long Hall and their quarters within in order
both to pack all of their things for the trip back to the Glen, and
also to attire themselves properly for Liturgy. As the first Sunday
Liturgy after the quarantine was lifted, the entire cathedral was
filled from altar rail to vestibule. Despite this, they were able to
find a place to stand and kneel without any difficultly thanks to
their small stature. Not so the strange three-horned dragon-like
Keeper that ended up standing in an alcove and poking his large head
out around the corner, or several of the other Keepers that had been
cursed with large bodies.

Father Hough was assisted at the altar by all six of his seminarians
and he spared no element of the ceremony, filling the air with
incense, and echoing it with bells. Though it was still the season of
Penance, Father gave a homily full of optimism and counsel to
remember that there would be good times and there would be bad. His
words were eloquent and impassioned and all of Charles's children
were rapt and did not fidget, at least until they had to kneel during
the Eucharistic prayers.

But when the Liturgy finally came to a close, Charles and his family
gathered their things, said one final farewell to Misha, Caroline,
and the other Longs, before heading out to the second gate where
Julian waited with one of his sleigh-carriages. Garigan was already
there, as were Murikeer and Kozaithy. By the time they had finished
putting all of their things inside the wagon, Sir Saulius arrived
riding Armivest and leading Malicon behind him. Charles thanked all
of his friends, mounted his pony, and together they set off from Metamor.

The day was moderately warm, with wind from the south blowing briskly
and carrying distant scents of sea and Spring. The sky was still
cloudy, but it began to break up after an hour into their ride and
once past Tarrelton on the northwestern road that lead to the Glen.
Charles and Saulius flanked thew wagon and spent their time chatting
idly with their friends, and watching the children play in the middle
of the wagon. His eldest boy Charles had found some leftover hay from
a previous trip and had stuck it in his headfur like a laurel crown
and was trying to portray an imagined King Pelain who had slain all
of Cheskych's enemies and now ruled a city ready to go fight some
more enemies. Little Erick once again though he should be Pelain and
the two were squabbling good-naturedly. It eventually deteriorated
into wrestling and scampering about while their sisters played with
the little dolls that Kimberly had fashioned for them.

His ears perked when he heard his student grump and rattle his claws
against the side of the wagon, "I don't know how you could have
traveled for so long with such a disreputable fellow as that Dream
Serpent, Malger, Moranasi, Archduke of Sluthouse, or whatever it is
he is." Charles encouraged Malicon to trot a couple of extra steps
ahead to bring him in line to where Murikeer and Garigan were
speaking. The ferret's black-masked face was twisted into a rictus of disgust.

Murikeer hissed angrily at the ferret and narrowed his one good eye.
"Do not speak of my friend in such terms! You do not know him at all."

"I have been accosted by his Sensates several times since I came to
Metamor. Any many who would sponsor such... filth..."

"Garigan, please," Charles said, while lifting one paw. "Murikeer
himself was also so accosted if I am not mistaken. If he could
journey with Malger, a tale I've only heard portions of, then there
must be many depths to the new Archduke of Sutthaivasse. He helped
save the lives of myself and my friends when we were trapped at
Marzac. I will not have you speak so ill of him either."

Garigan blinked in surprise, and then let the revulsion flee from him
body. He bent over double in a way that only a ferret or their kind
could, and let out a heavy sigh. "Forgive my foul words, Murikeer. I
have never met Malger Sutt, and I should never have spoken evil of a
man I do not know."

"Very rightly," Murikeer agreed, his hackles still raised. "At your
age you should know better than to speak as foolishly as a child."

Garigan flinched but did not lift his eyes. Charles reached over,
tightening his grip with his legs on Malicon's back, and gently laid
a paw on the ferret's shoulder. "Spend a little time in meditation,
Garigan. Calm yourself, and do not hold what the Sensates did to you
against Malger."

Garigan nodded, and put his paws over his face as he bent over,
lowering himself into a kneeling posture, and turning away from both
of them. Murikeer sighed and shook his head, turning to look at the
rat. "He is not like them... the Sensates. He bears his own pains,
aye, but he heals the pains of others. He cares deeply for those
close to him, even will not hesitate to avenge a loved one or to
reach out a hand to help another stand. And he will tell those
Sensates to leave his friends alone."

"They have never bothered me," Charles admitted as he slipped back to
a firmer perch atop his steed, one paw running through the roan's
mane. "I spent a bit of time with him while we were coming back from
Marzac to Sutthaivasse. He went to great lengths to make sure that we
would be safe and well treated." He gestured at the rat-head buckle
at his waist. "It's because of him that I have this delightful
ornament. But he did not speak much of himself or of his journeys.
Nor how he knew you to begin with, Muri. Kayla says that you became
friends very soon after you arrived at Metamor."

"We met at Glen Avery actually," Murikeer replied, the skunk's
demeanor settling into a friendly calm again. "We had Llyn in common
at the time." He lifted one paw to the leather patch over his ruined
eye socket, and then lowered it again, casting a quick glance with
his one eye at the white-furred skunk sitting next to Kimberly and
chatting amiably about the children. "He loved her too, even if his
heart was always meant for another. That brought us together and
helped see us through our differences. They in turn helped us survive
in Sathmore; his music, my magic, and Elvmere's singing saw us
through many a town and Inn on our journey.

"Elvmere?" Charles asked.

"An acolyte in the temple," Murikeer replied in haste, "He was
Malger's apprentice on our journey. He didn't approve of the Sensates
either. But Malger understands and I think he is trying to restrain
some of their behavior. I do wonder how that will proceed now that
his noble heritage has been unmasked."

"Aye, that will be interesting, as long as it is good for Metamor."
Charles's whiskers drooped in thought as some elusive snatch of
memory continued to dodge his tongue. The wagon rolled over a small
stone in the road, bumping everyone inside, and alone of them only
Garigan didn't move. The rat noted his student's fervent
contemplation, and then that memory fell beneath his claws. His pupil
had called Malger a Moranasi.

"One thing I am curious about," Charles said in as amicable a voice
as he could, "Magler does not seem to be interested in hiding his
allegiance to Nocturna. I know you are a faithful and devout
Lothanasi. I thought Moranasi the enemies of all Lothanasi."

Murikeer nodded at first, but then shook his head. "Followers of
Baal, Lilith, Agemnos, Suspira, or Revonos are certainly evil and are
our enemies. Yours as well as mine. But Nocturna is not like them,
nor is Malger's devotion to her anytihng more than his own personal
connection. And by it, as I could hardly believe, that he uses to
bring healing to others; even to me."

Charles blinked in surprise, seeing the sudden introspection and
specter of pain fill the skunk's eye. When nothing more was said, the
rat leaned in closer and asked, "What happened?"

"Llyn died at the hands of my own student, one who had given into
evil ways and powers. I blamed myself for a time, at least until
Magler brought her to me in my dreams."

"He made you dream about her?"

"Not dream about her. It was her, come to visit me. I... I do not
know if I have ever said this to another, and I'm surprised I say it
to you, Charles. But there it is. I don't know how, but it was what I
needed in order to forgive myself."

Charles's heart beat faster as he imagined the bereaved skunk having
one last chance to be with the woman he'd loved and who had been
cruelly snatched from him. That thought dancing back and forth in his
breast, he nodded glumly and turned their conversation to more pleasant topics.

----------

The rest of the journey to Glen Avery passed without incident. Not an
hour later, Garigan put his meditations behind him and he and
Murikeer engaged in friendly conversation again, while Charles and
Saulius spent a bit more time watching the woods on either side for
signs of bandits and Lutins. But they saw nothing other than a few
hunters out catching small game, a couple of merchants from the Glen
and Hareford, and Metamor soldiers keeping watch over the road.

The day was drawing to a close by the time they reached the Glen.
Charles's children had grown weary of the journey and spent most of
the last hour wondering if they had finally arrived, to which both
mother and father assured them that they had not but that they would
soon, sooner if they did not speak or squeak. This admonition worked
for a few minutes at a time but no more.

They were met first by the incorrigible Marcus who was especially
delighted to see Garigan again, but who also jumped into the middle
of the wagon and play-wrestled with all four of the little rats at
once. Angus and James followed in short order, and together they
escorted Julian's wagon into the Glen commons where they were met by
Lord Avery and his two boys. Charles and Kimberly both breathed sighs
of relief to be in their woodland home again, while Garigan bounded
out of the wagon to bow in gratitude to Lord Avery and his family.
"Forgive the lateness of my return, your lordship. I was unexpectedly delayed."

Lord Avery laughed and dragged the ferret to his feet and then
wrapped an arm around his shoulder. "Were glad to have you back, my
friend. Now none of this `lordship' either. Don't tell me the court
at Metamor has corrupted you too!"

He did not wait for Garigan to answer before turning to the rest of
the Metamorians climbing out of the wagon. Marcus jumped down from
the lip with the two boys under his arms. They spread all of their
limbs like they were flying. Kimberly rushed over and brained the
pine marten on the top of his head before rescuing her children from
the adventurous scout.

"Master Murikeer! Charles. It is so good to see you both again, and
your families. And such a relief to see them safe." The squirrel lord
clasped the skunk's paw and waved to the mounted rat, and then he
bowed lightly to each of the women. "And we are honored to have you
amongst us as well, Kozaithy, Lady Kimberly. We have saved some of
the feasting from the Equinox festival for you, including some of
Lars's Caribou." A hard stare from his wife made him temper his
enthusiasm. "But that can wait. Doubtless you are all tired from your
journey. Darien, Christopher! Be good strong lads and help them with
their things."

"There's no need for that," Murikeer assured him with a faint laugh.
"We have little enough, no need to trouble your sons."

Lord Avery looked at his two boys, both only a head shorter than he
now, with long, bushy tails twitching as feverishly as hummingbirds.
They both scrambled over to the wagon in their eagerness to be the
first to take one of the parcels brought by the Matthias family. "Oh,
it is good for them, Master Khunnas. Best they learn to serve others
now while they are young than later when that is what their station demands."

Murikeer blinked and then smiled. "How very wise. Then they can take
this and be the better for it." He slipped his knapsack over his
shoulders into Darien's waiting paws, while keeping the heavier
traveling pack on his back. The young squirrel stared with big black
eyes at his prize and then wrapped it around his shoulders, the pack
bouncing off his hips as he returned to the wagon to fetch something else.

"Oh," Kimberly sighed in delight as she stretched her toes into the
muddy loam. "It is so good to be home." She turned to James who had
picked up the lady rat's trunk and hoisted it onto his shoulders.
"And where is your Baerle?"

James's lowered his ears in an obvious blush. "Cleaning your home
from dust, milady. We wanted it to be ready for when you came home."

"It won't stay very clean with all this mud."

"We have a washbasin by the door to clean your feet." James smiled at
the edge of his supple lips. "It doesn't seem right for you to return
home to muddy paws either."

Kimberly patted the donkey on the cheek and then called to her
children, who had gone scampering off around the trees as soon as
they were off the wagon. Charles dismounted and laughed. Malicon
nipped at his right shoulder as he passed and he patted the roan's
cheek with one paw before taking the reins and guiding him past the
wagon. "Thank you for coming out to meet us, milord. You didn't have
to do that."

"Of course I did," Lord Avery replied with warmth as he grasped the
rat's left shoulder, digging into the leather tabard with his sharp
claws before letting him go. "After all that has happened, of course I did."

Charles smiled, feeling his heart lift at those words. "Now maybe we
can have some peace and joy here at home too."

"I hope so," the squirrel replied, before turning to the still
mounted Sir Saulius and saying, "And welcome back to you, Sir
Saulius. Walter wanted me to let you know that it is ready."

"'Tis good news; thank thee milord!" He swung down from Armivest's
back and lead the pony forward, pointing him toward the stables at
the rear of the Matthias home. "I must tend to my steed now, but I
wilt come see thee this evening to continue our discussion from earlier."

"I look forward to it, sir knight!"

Sir Saulus brought Armivest around between them and waved to Charles.
"Come, squire. Let us tend to our steeds and then you can have your
paws washed!"

Charles laughed, waved once to Kimberly who was hustling the children
in the direction of their home, to Murikeer and Kozaithy who were
trying to direct the Avery boys as to which parcels belonged to them
and which to the Matthias family, and then to Julian who remained
atop the wagon with a bright beam in his eyes as he watched his
friends rejoice at their homecoming. Together with his knight, he led
his pony to the stables, their paws squelching through the mud with
each step. Yet through the air he could smell the scent tang of pine
and birch, and even a hint of a fresh baked pie cooling in a nearby
window. It was very good indeed to be home.

!DSPAM:4eff59d0115915839567377!