[Mkguild] Heraldic Beginnings (6/7)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Sat Dec 31 18:52:43 UTC 2011

Part 6!  We're almost finished!

---------

March 26, 708 CR

While his chest and jaw stilled pained him at
times, it was now a faint suggestion of what had
happened to him on the mount rather than an
ever-present reminder of Marzac's power. And for
this he was grateful as he had to keep one arm
raised over his head to steady his middle boy
Erick on the back of Malicon while the other
gently guided the pony around the paddock area,
while he constantly assured his son that he was
doing fine and reminding him that he needed to
keep seated with straight back and focused attention.

It had rained again that morning, and so they
were all stained with mud up to their ankles, and
now Charles had a generous helping smeared across
his sleeves and both front and back of his tunic.
When he'd tried to place little Berndatte on his
pony's saddle, she had manage to slip from his
grasp and wrap her legs about his neck instead.
He was going to need another bath already;
judging by the look and smell of the sky, if he
lingered outside long enough the weather would take care of that for him.

Still, despite the much, he was enjoying taking
the time that afternoon to begin instructing his
children in the art of riding horseback. Their
legs would never be large enough to manage a real
horse, but the ponies in the Valley were of good
stock and would serve well enough as much as they
were able. Already the names of Armivest and
Malicon were known by most of the knights of
Metamor as steeds to be respected and that
brought Charles quite a bit of pride; both for
his own sake and for his knight's.

“Look! I'm riding! I'm riding!” Erick squealed in
delight, his tail bouncing off the back of the
saddle as Charles led Malicon in a wide circle
around the edge of the paddocks.

“Aye, you are,” Charles replied noting that his
middle son minded his lessons when it came to
riding much better than he usually did.

“Ah, he takes to the saddle as if he wert of the
Steppe!” Sir Saulius announced as he approached
from the commons. The knight hugged the other
children who rushed over to welcome him, not
minding the way their muddy paws smeared across
his tabard. After setting them each down, he
gestured over his shoulder toward one of the
trees on the other side of the commons. “Lord
Avery dost wish to speak with thee, Charles. I shalt watch o'er thy children.”

Charles drew Malicon to a stop and steadied his
son Erick. “Where is he? At Lars's?”

“In his home.”

He grunted and handed the reins to the knight.
Saulius moved into place next to him, one paw
steadying his namesake on the saddle. “I'd best go find out what he wants.”

Sir Saulius smiled so broadly, and he stood so
tall on his toes that Charles began to wonder if
his knight didn't already know. Still, he allowed
his friend to keep his secret for a little
longer, patting each of his children on the head
before heading across the commons to one of the
ropes that dangled out of the branches.

His chest ached by the time he'd reached the
landing at the top. This was the place he'd come
the very first time he'd been to Glen Avery two
years ago. The small entrance had no roof but the
branches overhead, and set on either end were
unlit lanterns. Along the walls on either side
were narrow windows perfect for archers, and at
the far end was a round door into the side of the
massive redwood on whose broad branches the rat now stood.

The door was cracked, and Charles gingerly pushed it open, “Lord Avery?”

“Come in!” he heard the squirrel's voice echo
from within the small chamber beyond. The Lord of
the Glen sat by himself at a small table
fashioned directly out of the tree. “Charles,
welcome! Please sit.” He gestured opposite him,
and then rested his elbows on a hand-drawn map.
Charles glanced at it as he closed the door
behind him and settled down opposite the gray
squirrel; it appeared to be of Glen Avery and the
land to its north, south, east, and west.

“You wished to see me, milord?” Charles asked as
hew sat, tail bunching behind him as there was
not much space between the bench and the wall of
the tree, warm to the touch as in his own home;
the magic of the woodmage Burris at work.

“I did,” Lord Avery studied him for a moment and
then smiled faintly. “You have been a help to us
here at the Glen ever since you first arrived two
years past and sat in that very same spot. You
have been away on many long adventures, but you
know that everyone here considers a Glenner as much as if you were born here.”

He felt his chest swell at that, and his whiskers
flicked in delight. “Thank you, milord. It is one
of the nicest homes I've ever known. I look
forward to raising my family here, and seeing
them raise families of their own here too.”

“It warms my heart to hear of it,” the gray
squirrel's tail danced back and forth behind his
head. “You stared a trend last year; at first it
was only Angela and I who had children already
touched by the animal Curse. Now you both you and
Jurmas have such children, and there are a few
others who are expecting that my wife tells me
will be as your children and mine!”

Charles smiled at the thought of the Glen filled
with beastly children playing their games
together. Already the few grown humans looked out
of place in the Glen; could even the human children look out of place too?

“Well, I and my family have returned and we are
here to stay. Much to Misha's lament I'm sure. He
did wish me to speak with you about possibly
providing me, as the representative of the Long
Scouts here at the Glen, more opportunities to
help direct affairs for the Glen Scouts. I would
never take Angus or that skunk's place, but...
some authority of my own. I hope I am not too forward when I say this.”

Brian Avery blinked in surprise, and then leaned
back with a hearty laugh, grabbing at the table
with his sharp claws to keep from completely
upending. “Oh, Charles! What sweet irony! No, I
wouldn't want you to take either Angus or
Berchem's place – although he has gone south for
a few weeks, no matter. But I do want to offer
you the chance to lead in a very special here at the Glen.”

“Oh?”

And then he learned what his knight already knew.

----------

Charles headed straight home without giving Lord
Avery an answer, though one was promised that
evening. He saw that Sir Saulius was still at the
paddocks trying to teach his children to ride. He
did not pause to greet them; their attention was
so focused on getting their turn to ride the pony
that they never looked or sniffed his way.
Unimpeded, Charles snuck down to the door between
the roots, and slipped into his home, dipping his
paws in the washbasin by the door and drying them
off before looking for his wife.

Kimberly was in the kitchen reacquainting herself
with all of its implements and scolded him in a
gentle way on his muddy attire. Then she saw his
serious expression and set down the pans she'd held. “What is it, Charles?”

He grasped one of her paws and drew her close.
“My sweet Lady Kimberly. I know you left behind a
noble's inheritance because the life your family
had planned for you was so distasteful that you
would rather live with the common folk as one of
them. I could never accept the offer that has
just been made to me without your consent, and without prayer.”

She blinked and then lifted her free paw to his
face and plucked a bit of dried mud from his cheek fur. “What offer is this?”

He told her. She listened. And then they both
went to the little house altar Charles had built for them and knelt in prayer.

----------

It was well into evening and Lord Avery had just
come from enjoying a pleasant meal with his two
sons and wife to hear the reports from his scouts
at the brewery when he was stopped only a few
paces from the door by a very familiar figure.
The torches were lit about the commons and
another pair flanked the stony entrance to Lars's
very popular establishment. “Who is... oh,
Charles! It is good to see you. Have you and your
family had enough time to consider the offer?”

Charles, still touched by mud and smelling
strongly of horse, nodded his wide head. “We
have, we prayed, and without reservation both I
and my family accept the honor!”

!DSPAM:4eff59fa115971080519667!