[Mkguild] Justice in Vengeance Refrain (8)

Ryx sundansyr at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 09:39:32 UTC 2011

            Tathim was seated in a large chair, not quite a throne but certainly
more ornate than any other in the room, upon the dais.  To his left was another
similarly ornate chair in which the Lady Ganet, a thin but matronly looking
woman in her late fifties, sat.  The Lady was conversing to her handmaiden while
Tathim’s senechal simply stood slightly behind and to the right of his chair.
Tathim was conversing with two men on his right seated in less ornate chairs.
Both were richly clad, clearly the two nobles the house guard had spoken of
earlier.  One of them was familiar, the same man who had challenged Malger at
the caravan, while the second was an unknown.  He looked bored with the
situation and frowned at something the visiting Earl said, with much
gesticulation, to Earl Tathim.  A long-haired golden dog, some breed of collie,
sat beside his chair and while he waited he stroked its head.  The visiting Earl
was clearly agitated at something but there was a general susurrus of
conversation filling the room that prevented either Murikeer or Elvmere from
hearing his argument.
            Glancing up Tathim saw that they had arrived and, with a slight
staying motion of one hand toward his guest, sat up in his throne.  “I see that
all have arrived, so let us proceed without undue delay.  Our visitors are Earl
Motense of Fendshill who will stand in witness, and Baron Vareshad of Harington
who will bear witness of these proceedings for Duke Thargood and see that the
justice we arrive upon this day is upheld.” He nodded to each of the men in
turn.  “Will the accused stand and present himself to the tribunal.”
            It was not a request.  Laboriously Malger levered himself up from
his chair, the minstrel’s once proud shoulders slumped in exhaustion.  His rich
garments hung from him loosely.  In the past few days he had lost a considerable
amount of weight that Murikeer had discovered only once he was dressed.  “I am
Malger son of Fendil, traveling minstrel, your grace.”
            “Very well.  You have been accused of the crime of murder, what
state you?”
            “Justice, your grace, is my argument.  The slain were rapists,
slavers, and murderers.  One close to me suffered their depredations many years
ago.  It is in her memory I exercised justice long delayed.  I do not deny that
I killed, or sought to kill, them.”  Murikeer noted that the injured survivors
had been brought in and slumped in two chairs, both still suffering the wounds
he had inflicted upon them.  Neither of them looked to be fit enough to have
been brought from their hospice and Murikeer felt pleasure at their suffering.
            “Who witnesses the crimes for which the slain are accused?”
            “I do.” Malger muttered.
Murikeer stood and Tathim’s gaze shifted toward him. “I do, your grace.”
            “And you are?”
            “Murikeer Khunnas, son of Justin, mage of Metamor Keep and
apprentice to the accused.  The woman in whose memory my master acted was to
have been my wife.”
            Tathim merely nodded and Murikeer sat back down.
            “Let it be known that the accused gives reason of justice, with one
witness.  The crimes for which he acted are not for this tribunal to decide,
other than to understand his actions.  We will now bring forward witness to the
actions which he took to slay, and maim, people otherwise innocent of crimes
within my demesne, from least to greatest rank.  Will those who witnessed,
directly, those acts please stand?”
            Murikeer and Elvmere stood.  A few chairs down from them two others
stood; the guards from the caravan as did Earl Motense and to one side of the
dais the Lothanasa stood.  Her burly guards, the same four who had attended her
divan, did not need to stand for they had not been seated.  There had been many
peasants among the caravan when Malger went on his rampage but none appeared to
be in attendance.
“Thank you, sirs and Lightbringer, please be seated.”  Murikeer watched Malger
slump back into his chair and rest his forearms on the table in front of him.  A
clay mug sat in front of him and he took a moment to sip whatever it contained.
There were cups at every table, and ewers of watery wine, but neither Murikeer
nor Elvmere had any taste for it.  Tathim directed his attention toward their
side of the room and held up one hand toward the two guards.  “Stand and come
forward, gentlemen.  You are soldiers working for the caravan’s guard company?”
Diffidently the two stood and made their way out in front of the table at which
they sat.  They did not move fully into the center of the room as that would put
them nearer the focus of the Earl’s justice.  “Yes, your grace.” One of them,
the youth that Sideshow had shoved at Malger during the fight, spoke.  “I am
Laroth, son of Grimmam, master of the company.  This is March, son of Mikket.”
“Speak freely, lads.  What did you witness?”
“Well, sire, we saw that man,” Laroth nodded toward Malger, “attack Maxamillian
and his men.  They were not part of our company and attended only to Max,
apparently associates for some years.”
“You did not attempt to stop him?”  Tathim’s raised one brow curiously.
“No, sire, we did, as is our duty.”
“And how many of your company fell during this battle?”
Laroth looked to his companion who had a muslin swatch over his nose and secured
by a string that tied behind his head giving him an altogether ridiculous
appearance.  “None that I know of, your grace.”
“None?”
“Aye.” Laroth nodded slowly, “That man took pains not to attack us directly, and
evaded us rather than fight.  When we got close enough he disarmed us.  March
got the closest to him, and the man bit his nose rather than strike him with his
swords.”
“So you would say that this man, Malger, strove only to attack the men he
believes wronged a woman some years ago, and not you or the men of your
company?”
“Exactly so, sire, yes.  When the caravan master pushed me at his swords he took
a stroke from my spear to get past me, rather than cut his way through me.”
“Very well, I thank you, Laroth son of Grimmam.  March, what have you to say to
this tribunal before you are dismissed?”
March, who had been studiously looking at the floor throughout Lothar’s
testimony, looked up fearfully when he was addressed.  “’E could’a kilt me,
sire, no jus’ bit me node.” He managed to force out in a constrained honk due to
his bandaged nose.  “He jes want t’ pass me bah, fer t’ get aft dem as ‘e did.”
He nodded shortly toward the two injured men.
“How did you two know this minstrel?”
“We didn’t sire.” Lothar offered, “He and his apprentices came to our caravan
only just that afternoon and we offered space in our camp for them.”
“Thank you, gentlemen.  You are dismissed and may return to your master when
convenient for you.”
Bowing profusely both backed up and then returned around the table to sit down.
Tathim then turned his attention toward the two injured men slouching in the
chairs provided for them.  The man who had lost his lower leg seemed barely
conscious while the man who had lost his hand to mid forearm seemed more alert.
Throughout the testimony of the caravan guards he had glared balefully at
Malger.
“You, sir, stand if you would, and tell us who you and your companion are.” The
Earl said toward the more alert of the pair.  The man jerked to his feet and
stalked around his table, crossing half way into the hall between his table and
Malger’s seat.
“I am Lessan, Maxamillian’s retainer, and a Master of Steel from Whitestone
Tower.  My companion is Boqu, also of Whitestone.  We know nothing of that
madman’s accusations; we are merely hired guards just as those two lickboots
are.” He thrust his foreshortened arm toward Grimmam’s guards.  “Hired out by
Maxamillian eight years agone, and innocent of whatever crimes that filth seeks
to blind you with.”
“Lessan the Fist, who pummeled her bloody before he had his.” Malger growled
flatly, but clearly, from where he sat.  Tathim leveled a swift glare at him but
Malger did not notice, his wrathful gaze was directed toward Lessan.
“He is mad, Earl, mad as a root smoking swamp witch!”
“Tell me, Fist, did you have at them after the curse took them, too?” Malger
challenged, never raising his voice above a hard growl, but in the general
quietude of the room he could be heard as clearly as if he had shouted.  “How
many, hmmm?  Ten, a hundred?”  Murikeer laid a staying hand on his arm.
“Be silent, minstrel.” Tathim snapped irritably.  Lessan took a stride closer to
Malger as if to strike him with his good hand but stopped when Murikeer stood to
face him.  One of Tathim’s guards stepped forward to grasp his uninjured arm
firmly.  The guard was considerably smaller than Lessan’s muscular bulk but the
warning was clear.  Tathim’s men at arms held sway in the tribunal and brooked
no violence among its attendants.  Murikeer slowly settled back into his chair.
Lessan fell back a couple of paces and glared down at the guard before glaring
back at Tathim, “He came at us spouting madness and poor Boqu never had a
chance.  The man had his swords loosed and cut his leg from under him before he
could even draw steel to defend himself.”  Murikeer twitched an eyebrow at the
lie and would have stood to refute it but Elvmere touched his forearm lightly.
When he looked down Elvmere only shook his head slightly.  Interrupting the
tribunal, even to clarify a simple point, would reflect poorly upon their case.
Tathim glanced again at Grimmam’s men, “Was that so?”
Laroth stood hastily and swallowed, looking toward Lessan fearfully, “Aye, your
grace, but the man did have his sword free.  The minstrel’s attack was
unexpected, and too swift for him to parry.”
“Thank you.” Thathim’s gaze flicked back across to Lessan, “Be seated, both of
you.”  Laroth dropped back into his chair while Lessan clenched his fist
angrily.  He looked ready to continue his rant but the guard hauling on his arm
finally brought him around.  Staggering under the pain of his injuries,
suppressed only by indomitable force of will, he returned to his chair and
slumped with a mulish glare.
Once order was restored again Tathim sighed heavily.  “You, Murikeer, bearing in
mind that the matters of this tribunal are only concerning the deaths your
master caused, stand and tell us of those events.”
Giving Malger’s shoulder a reassuring squeeze Murikeer stood.  Before he spoke
he looked to the Earl, the other nobles seated beside him, then the Lothanasa
seated off the dais, and lastly the archivist Thomas who stood on the opposite
flank of the dais before returning his gaze to Tathim.  The visiting Earl only
glared and met his gaze challengingly while the baron’s regard was curious but
bored.  The Lothanasa’s gaze was inscrutable and Thomas favored him with a sage
nod.
“Your grace,” he said levelly, “if that is the limit of this gathering then
further discourse is fruitless.  For all action must have a causative initiator,
as a mage this is one of the basic precepts of natural law.  What, then, were
you to find those who attacked your vassalage in a decade’s time, far from here
in some other kingdom.  Would you not act to bring th-“
“Damnit, boy!” barked the visiting Earl of Fendshill exploded from his chair
furiously, “That raid has no bearing on the cold blooded slaughter caused by
that man!”  Murikeer twitched and fell silent at the angry explosion and tilted
his head slightly to bring his good eye to bear on the man.
Earl Tathim quirked an eyebrow toward his peer and waited until his ire hissed
to a halt.  “Your grace, if you would, you are a party to this tribunal and not
its justicar.  If you would, please allow me to continue.” He asked politely
without altering the level of his voice.  “He is correct, however, young man.
It is already established that your master acted out of a sense of justice, or
vengeance.  It is that he acted that concerns us.”
“Then yes, your grace, he did act.” Murikeer conceded with a slow nod.  “I will,
then, bring to your attention the fate of the prisoners that those who were
slain kept in their train.  Save for one or two hapless exhibits each and every
one of them were once as human as any here.  They were once free peoples,
captured and enslaved through torture and brutality, to be ensorcelled into the
form of animals without any free choice of their own.”
“Also a fact not –“
“Your grace?” this time an interruption from the Lothanasa.  Tathim let out a
short huff of breath and turned his gaze toward her.  With an exasperated wave
of one hand he surrendered the floor.  “I do apologize, your grace, but the lad
is correct insofar as those I saw in the wagon cages were bespelled in some
manner or another.  I did not have the time to give that magic any thorough
examination, but they were indeed fully enwraped by magery.”
Tathim looked toward Earl Motense, “Is this what you saw?”
“I saw beasts.” The man acceded with a surly nod, “Foul monstrosities that
walked as men walked.  Some even spoke the tongue of man.  Caricatures they
were, but beasts all the same.  I saw nothing of true men among them.”
Tathim mulled that over for a few moments, “Be that as it may, thus was the
reason I allowed the train no closer to my demesne than it was, and even that
was by slim tolerance.” He glanced at the Lothanasa to see if she had anything
further to add but she only shook her head with a slight nodding bow.  “Say on,
lad, within only what you saw.”
“Upon recognizing the men he challenged them for their crimes.  Those two,” he
waved a hand toward the injured mercenaries, “stepped forward to brace him with
their own steel bared, whereupon my master sought to fulfill his justice.”  When
Murikeer offered nothing further he was allowed to resume his seat.
“And you, master Elvmere?”
Elvmere stood and squared his shoulders, “I bear witness that this man, master
of my musical tutelage, attacked the mercenaries and person of Maxamillian,
master of that caravan.  He struck them down with as little injuries to others
as he was capable, which is considerable as he was able to withstand five highly
trained mercenaries without killing those with less training.  Beyond that I can
say little.”
“And of those in the wagons?”
“I am no mage, sire, I lack the ability to see or grasp any understanding of
magic.  That they may have once been people I would have to say that yes, they
were once human.  They suffered a curse known to me that changed them into
beasts.  None, I suspect, sought that curse willingly.”
Tathim nodded, “Such is the nature of curses.  You may be seated.” Once Elvmere
had settled once more he turned his gaze to the side of his dais.  “Lothanasa
hin Caris?”
Slowly the woman levered herself up from her chair, towering to eye level with
those on the dais as she stood.  “I thank you, sire.  I speak neither in defense
nor persecution of the accused, and bear witness only to the acts for which he
is being held accountable.” She nodded her large head toward the trio occupying
the center of the fast hall.  “I was returning with my retinue from recent
travels and came upon the caravan of Maxamillian early in the afternoon four
days past.  The caravan master supped me and we talked of his travels, simple
inconsequentialities that bare no mention here.  As the afternoon waxed toward
evening the showman promised to exhibit his menagerie and I lingered to see what
manner of creatures he had assembled.
“Shortly after he had commenced his show that man,” one large hand waved toward
Malger, “approached me and begged an indulgence.  He invoked the geas of
witness, which may be known to many here who follow the path of Light.  He bade
me not interfere with the acts that he would soon partake and, under that geas,
I was not to interf-“ She stopped when the great double doors of the feast hall
opened a crack, letting a shaft of bright sunlight slash across the dimly lit
room.  That splash of light fell across Malger, almost blinding in its intensity
to those used to the feast hall’s shuttered light.  A shadow briefly bisected
the light as someone entered and, moving around the periphery of the room,
approached the dais.
It was one of Earl Tathim’s soldiers.  The man seemed agitated and was breathing
heavy from some exertion.  Reaching the front of the dais he dropped to one knee
and bowed, “I beg your indulgence, your grace, for interrupting the solemnity of
these proceedings but something has come up that demands I come to you.”
“Say on, Amsobere, be at ease.” Tathim nodded indulgently and waved for him to
rise with one hand.  The Duke’s witness leaned forward curiously while Earl
Motense scowled at the interruption by a mere peon.  The guard, Amsobere, stood
quickly.
“Your grace, there is a bear at the gates!” he gasped hastily, quite loud enough
to be heard by everyone in the hall.  A mumble of discontent rippled through the
assemblage but Tathim ignored it.
“A bear?” Tathim grumbled, annoyed at such a trivial matter interrupting his
tribunal, “Drive it away.”
“Sire,” Amsobere continued, “it demands to treat with you.”
“What?” Tathim leaned forward with a scowl, “Who does?”
“The bear, sire.” Amsobere gasped, “The bear demands to treat with you.  And
others come with it.”
Tathim’s gaze shot to Malger’s small coterie and then across toward Lessan
before turning to the Lothanasa who merely shrugged her huge shoulders and
remained standing.  “A bear demands to speak with me?  And who does this bear
bring in train?”
“Many other beasts, sire.  Some who walk upright and even wear clothing.  The
bear wears the habit of a Follower priest, sire.”
Heaving a long suffering sigh Tathim leaned back into his seat, “Open the gates
to them, Amsobere, and conduct them into the hall.  Let no one raise weapon to
them.”  Knuckling his brow Amsobere bowed and then retreated hastily, his
leather armor and weapons creating a racket in the quietude of the hall.
“Tathim!” Earl Motense snarled furiously, “Why do you suffer this ill graced
rabble come into your hall and befoul these proceedings!?”
“Our ranks may be similar, your grace, but I bear no one speak with disrespect
in my house.  I suffer what I wish to suffer in mine own house.” Tathim snapped
back at him harshly, “These beasts bear witness to the events for which this
tribunal has been called and, as such, are as free to speak as any now present.”
“Speak,” Mortense snorted derisively but said nothing further as he slouched
back in his chair and crossed his arms petulantly over his breast.
Some moments later the slice of bright sunlight illuminating Malger was widened
to encompass both Murikeer and Elvmere as well and a hulking shadow filled the
door flanked by many lesser forms.  A clatter of weapons and armor accompanied
the shuffling of unshod feet as the unlikely troupe made its way into the hall
accompanied by a good dozen of Tathim’s guards.  The bear, Sho, ambled toward
the center table on two thick legs much too short for the torso that they
supported.  Moving around the table she approached the dais prompting Tathim’s
house guards to step forward protectively.  Tathim held up a hand to stay them
but otherwise did not move.  The visiting Baron had leaned forward in his chair
with a stunned look on his face, jaw hanging.  His golden dog stood and stepped
forward a pace before retreating to press itself against his legs.
Sho leaned forward and then cumbersomely dropped onto all four stout limbs
before bowing deeply before the dais, until her chin touched the floor.  “Your
grace, Earl Tathim of Asthill, I beg forgiveness for this unexpected intrusion
upon your court.” She growled in a basso rumble that was almost felt as clearly
as heard.  Murikeer was surprised that she did not bear the same stench that had
accompanied her in the wagon; she had taken some pains to bathe sufficiently to
satisfy etiquette and garbed herself in a roughspun nun’s habit.  “I am sister
Sho Rosewain, once of Midtown in the Northern Midlands, under the protection of
his grace, the horse lord Thomas of Metamor.”
“You are well come to my home, sister Rosewain.  Might I ask the nature of your
calling upon me today?”
Sho rose slowly and settled back on her haunches, “I come to speak in defense of
this man, the minstrel who calls himself Malger.”  Murikeer felt a presence
close at his side and looked over to see the vixen, Misanthe, standing behind
Malger’s chair.  A few paces away was the hyena that swore she would eat the
vixen stood, dressed in a rather spectacular noblewoman’s gown carefully altered
to fit her.  A deer stood further away with the oddly striped horse creature
beside it.  On his opposite side he found a slender gazelle in simple peasant
attire holding the ropes securing a bound otter that had shuffled in with them.
The otter was gagged, his body sagging where he stood, and looked as if he had
been quite thoroughly beaten.  Beside her, and towering over her almost as much
as Sho towered over everyone, stood the female saber-toothed cat in a pose that
bespoke a militaristic lifestyle.  It was rather easy to understand from where
the otter had received his beating.
“And your companions?”  The tension in the hall was almost palpable.  Murikeer
fancied that he could smell the fear of the attendees who had never before seen
most of the beasts now crowding the hall among them.  To encounter such things
as bears and saber-toothed felines upright and talking only furthered their
distress.
“They, and I, beg a boon if justice from you as well.” Turning her head slowly
she peered over toward the two injured men, who had drawn back into their chairs
as if seeking refuge from the new arrivals.  “We seek your indulgence to
surrender those men to us, that they might answer for their crimes.”
“Those crimes being?” Tathim seemed less annoyed and more interested at that
request.
“Murder, your grace.” Sho’s attention returned to the Earl.  “Murder, torture,
rape, and slavery.”  Shifting her weight back she stood once more, easily
topping the already tall Lothanasa by a foot.  “I was captured, your grace, from
my home.  I was imprisoned by those two men, and this one here.” One huge paw
swept back toward the bound otter, “And I was… raped, sire.” She heaved an
angry, choked sigh at having to give voice to her humiliation.  “Beaten, and
raped, by these three, until I lost all will to fight them.  Throughout I was
kept in chains until the curse of Metamor took me, and I became this.” Massive
paw-like hands swept down the front of her habit.  “It, alone, protected me from
their depredations.  They left me in that cage, where I have been imprisoned
with naught but the occasional foray from the wagon only to be the center of a
bear baiting ring.”  Her huge hands flexed into monstrous fists but she kept her
temper in check.  “I am a woman of Eli, sire, given to his service.  Imagine,
then, the humiliation of becoming their … entertainment for so little as a day,
not so much as the five years I have endured.”  Slowly she turned, raising both
arms to wave at those who had come with her.
“The cat, Lilith, once of a southern Pyralian farming village!” she bellowed
furiously, shaking the rafters with her vehemence.  “The hyena, Mylere of
Caralore, gifted to the man Sideshow as a toy by her own liege lord.  Mare
Ebseth and buck Crombe, both fishers from Whales, taken by pirates and sold as
slaves!  The doe Pintathe from the heart of Sondeshara, sold as common cattle on
the wharves of the continent!  The vixen Sheyiin, from so far away her homeland
is on no maps of the land!”  Continuing to turn she came about to face the
Earl’s dais once more, “And more, names forgotten and bodies left to rot where
they were cut down by the men that he,” her hand thrust back toward Malger,
“That he, that man, brought finally to justice after so many years destroying
the innocent.” She dropped forward onto her legs once again and tilted her head
to one side as she gazed up at the men upon the dais.
“A moving speech, sister Rosewain, that I will bear considering once the more
immediate tribunal is concluded.”  He intoned levelly with a nod, “If you would
find someplace to seat yourselves, I would continue where I left off.”
“With pleasure, your grace, but for one last point.”  Sho rumbled.
“That being?”
“The man, the monster, who imprisoned us and forced this change upon us did so
for one goal.  It was his practice to sell his prisoners, specimens of his
blasphemous menagerie, to those with a desire for the unique and exotic.”
Shifting onto her haunches she waved a thick foreleg and thrust her hand-paw
toward Earl Motense, “That man, there, knew our master well and attended his
menagerie for that very end.”
Motense surged to his feet, “What lies are these?” he bellowed in fury, spittle
dotting his lips.  “She speaks blatant lies!  I knew not the nature of that
freak show!”
“It would hardly have been mysterious, owing to the décor on the wagons.” Sho
retorted laconically, “And it was the innocent doe Pintathe that caught your
eye, is that not so, your grace.” The appellation dripped venomous sarcasm as
the bear growled heavily.  “I am a sister of Eli’s house, masters, and He does
not suffer those who spread untruth.”
“Enough,” Thathim snapped shortly.  “That may have been the case, but it is not
at issue.  Whatever dealings were to be had are no longer valid, my good
sister.  The master of your caravan is dead, and most of his close lackeys, so
whatever deal he was entering into with Earl Motense are moot.”
“I was not –“ Motense argued again but stuttered to silence under Tathim’s
withering glare.  Muttering darkly he returned to his ornate seat.  The Duke’s
witness leaned forward to whisper quietly to him.
“Lothanasa, you were saying?”
Smiling strangely the Lothanasa only shook her head, “I was asked to bear
witness, and I did.  He slew the men it is claimed that he slew, that is all
that I witnessed.  I have nothing further to offer, your grace.”
“Sister Rosewain, concerning the events leading to the demise of the man
Maxamillian and two of his guards, and the maiming of these other two, what have
you to offer as a witness to these events?”
“It is just as the Lightbringer said, your grace.  This man challenged our
captors for past crimes.  His men drew steel and he attacked, sending two of
them and the monster who commanded them to their deserved Hell.” The bear
offered with a bow of her huge head.
“I thank you.” Taking a moment to collect his thoughts he turned a slow look
toward his fellow Earl, “Earl Motense, as the witness of greatest rank, I would
ask you to tell us of your recollection of these events to close the
inquisition.”
Glowering Earl Motense did not stand as he turned to address Tathim, “It is as I
said, your grace.” His voice was icy and his utterance of the Earl’s honorific
dripped venom.  “Without any provocation by the caravan master or his men that
man drew his weapons and attacked.  Those two,” he jerked his head toward Lessan
and Boqu, who still stared at the assembled menagerie as a mouse might stare at
a roomful of cats it found itself in the middle of.  “Were unable to offer even
token defense and he cut them down, leaving them to die a slow death by loss of
blood.  The others fought more valiantly but were slain for their efforts.”
“Of the caravan’s hired guards?”
“He ignored them, for the most part.” Motense agreed with earlier testimony only
grudgingly.  “Inept as they were he need not have expended any effort to evade
them.”
“Evade, you say, and not engage when they challenged him?”
“Yes, your grace.  He cast them aside like inept charlatans.”
“Even that one, whom it has been said was thrown at the swords of the accused?”
Tathim waved one hand languidly toward Laroth.
“As already made clear, your grace.” Backed into a corner by Tathim’s questions
Motense had no recourse but to agree, albeit with ill grace.  He looked as if he
had unexpectedly bitten a lemon and sought someplace to dispose of it
discreetly.
“So, would you characterize his assault to have been one of cold blooded murder,
as you attested?”

!DSPAM:4d3e9a56188761804284693!