[Mkguild] Justice in Vengeance Refrain (9)

Ryx sundansyr at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 09:40:44 UTC 2011

“It was unwarned, unprovoked, and coldly methodical.  Cold blooded would be
exactly how I might characterize it, your grace.”
“My thanks, your grace.” Tathim stood, clasping his hands behind the small of
his back as he stood regarding Malger.  “Before I withdraw to consider all that
I have heard, and myself witnessed, in the past hour I would like to say a few
words.  You, Malger the minstrel, are a mere commoner.  By sufferance the acts
for which you are accused merit little more than a swift removal of your head
from your shoulders.”  Murikeer gaped at the proclamation and Elvmere gasped
softly.  Sho and the other assembled animals growled discontentedly while
Motense’s mouth tightened in a victorious sneer.  Holding up one hand to silence
the grumblings Tathim continued.  “But I am learned that those who were slain,
and those who yet live, held under their charge the unlawfully imprisoned
smallfolk of several kingdoms.  Kingdoms which, in turn, could very well wish to
pursue their own methods of justice on those who survive.”  Pacing back and
forth upon the dais his eyes roved the assembly levelly.  “And, as he spoke of
carrying out his actions under a warrant of justice from just one such kingdom,
the accused falls under the aegis of his homeland moreso than my own demesne.  I
am very well tempted to put him in chains and send him back for just such
justice.
“But I can little afford the retinue that would be required for such an
extradition, and am, as such, left in a quandary.  On one hand, summary justice
is swift and warranted, relieving me of a thorn which has pricked me when I can
little suffer its touch, while on the other I can simply acquit the accused of
any wrongdoing, allowing his justice, and simply allow him to leave.”
“Such would be unwise, your grace.” Motense warned darkly.  He shut up when the
Baron seated next to him grabbed his upper arm and squeezed rather solidly.
Apparently the two were not at all in agreement and the bear’s recent revelation
of his culpability left the Baron with questions of his own.
“Sire,” the lady Asthill’s handmaiden quavered into the momentary silence after
the Earl’s outburst, “I might offer a solution worthy of easing your quandary?”
The Earl rounded on her abruptly with a glare at the woman’s temerity.  She
wilted under the harsh glare and bowed her head, fading a pace back behind the
Lady’s chair.
“Say on, woman.” Tathim hissed, crossing his arms behind his back once more.
Swallowing her fear the woman, well into middle age but still quite striking in
appearance, sidled out from behind the Lady’s chair.
“Sire, why not let the Gods decide his fate?” She spoke toward her shoes with
both hands clasped demurely, if tightly, in front of her stomach.  In his chair
Malger twitched and scowled with a frown while Murikeer hissed a soft epithet.
“Aside from the Follower who provides you counsel, we are followers of the Light
and under the laws of the Temple as a vassalage of Sathmore.  Allow the Gods to
decide, by right of blood.”
“Ere he lives, he is innocent, and should he not the verdict is moot.” The
Lothanasa rumbled quietly from her huge divan.
Pacing the dais Tathim stroked his mouth with one hand while he regarded the
floor before his feet.  Motense scowled, having seen Malger’s prowess in combat
and fearful that such a trial would be a pointless acquittal of the reviled
minstrel.  After several long moments of heavy silence the Earl heaved a sigh
and flexed both hands in futile helplessness.  “I see no other way to easily
satisfy both sides of my indecision.” He said at length.  “Your words have
wisdom, child.”  Raising his head he scanned the crowded hall, “Let it be so; a
trial before the Gods, and let them be the final arbiters of the accused’s
fate.  Who stands forth as the tribunal’s champion in this?”  Everone looked
around at everyone else for several breaths, no one readily willing to stand
against the minstrel.  Lessan himself had clearly illustrated the minstrel’s
skill with combat; he had crippled two merceneries of the Whitestone Tower,
center of the greatest masters of war throughout much of the known world.  If
the two others who had been slain were likewise trained it showed that Malger
was a fearsome foe, indeed.
“I shall champion House Asthill’s charge, your grace.” Rumbled one of the
Lothanasa’s burly guards.  Apparently the quartet spoke very seldom indeed for
many of the locals gasped in surprise at hearing him speak.  Even the Lothanasa
seemed surprised at the unexpected outburst.  Her mouth gaped momentarily and
then she glared at the man.  Murikeer took one look at him and quailed.  He was
six feet or more of stone solid muscle and, as he served as the huge
Lightbringer’s bearer, given to surprisingly indefatigable stamina.  Malger had
not eaten, or slept soundly, in almost five days and was showing that strain
with every line of his body.
“Your grace I must protest!” Elvmere gasped as he stood, his chair scraping
loudly on the wooden floor as he thrust it back.  “Our master is hardly in any
fit condition to enter into combat with the least of your retainers, much less
one of her bruins!”
“I am afraid the matter is set, lad.” Tathim sighed with a shake of his head,
“It is for the Gods to intervene, now, for it has been lifted from my hands.”
“Fat lot the Gods give a damn.” Malger moaned when he took one look at the
champion he would have to face.
“Let us withdraw.  At high sun we will re-convene upon the house commons and the
accused will face our champion in the Gods’ Judgment.”  He stood before his
throne-like chair and turned to face the assembly.  “Malger, you will be allowed
to retire to the chambers I have allowed your students to use, that you might
prepare yourself.”  He looked toward Sho and her retinue.  “Sister, you and
yours may retire to the commons, or remain here in the hall, as you desire.  I
have not the accommodations to extend proper comfort to you or yours.”
The archivist Thomas beamed merrily, “Your grace, I will aid them in any such
small way as I can.” He burbled ebulliently from his post to the right of the
Earl’s dais.  Tathim smiled and chuckled softly with a slight shrug before
circling around behind his chair and down the rear of the dais to a door in the
back wall.  The lady Asthill fell in behind him and, after a brief glance back
toward Malger, her handmaiden followed the Earl’s seneschal through the door.
Motense fumed silently before following them, with the Baron close at his heels
and, one by one, their personal guards.
“Malger,” Elvmere muttered worriedly as they crossed the commons through the
throng spilling from the feast hall.  The six guards that came with them
continued their wordless escort toward the wing which housed their chambers.
“What are we going to do?”
Staggering a little in his exhaustion, aided by Murikeer’s strong hand on his
elbow, Malger could only shake his head.  “We?  Nothing, Elvmere.” He panted
breathlessly.  Misanthe held his other arm, offering her own strength.  Though
small she was surprisingly strong.  “I fight.  When this is all over, you and
Murikeer must continue on.”  He looked aside to catch Elvmere’s worried gaze.
“You have your pilgrimages, don’t let my folly destroy them.”
“Malger, you must not think that way!”  One of the guards held the door open and
they entered the dim interior of the guest wing.
Swaying as he navigated into the narrow hallway Malger grasped at Misanthe’s
supporting arm and shot Elvmere a condoling look, “Be realistic, Elvmere.” He
sighed heavily, “I’m a wreck.  I still suffer the injuries from a fight less
than a week gone.  I’ve not slept two candlemarks at a time in days, and my only
real meal in that time was this morning.  Do you expect in any way that I have
any hope of surviving that goliath’s touch?”
“But-“ Elvmere fretted, wringing his hands fitfully.  The guards took up
positions at the door while the four travelers filed into the guest room. “You
must not give up!”
“What’s to bother.” Malger slumped on the bed and sagged forward, arms on knees,
while he panted heavily.
“Master, he is right, you must not-“ Misanthe said plaintively from Malger’s
side.
“Damnit, girl!” Malger snapped, raising a hand back and scowling at her.  She
did not wither away from the expected strike, merely turning her head slightly
and backing her ears.  After a moment Malger merely let his hand drop to her
shoulder to give a gentle squeeze.  “I am not your master.” He sighed after a
moment, “You are free now, and I am Malger.  Just Malger.”
~~
            The last bells of the high hour faded from the Temple belfry and
silence held sway but for the light early summer breeze that stirred the grass
and tugged at Murikeer’s light clothes.  Beside him Elvmere held one hand
tightly around his tree and tried not to look away.  Misanthe stood beside him,
one arm loosely slipped through his free arm while Murikeer stood alone a pace
away.  The archivist Thomas stood on their side of the commons with the huge
towering bulk of Sho upright beside him.  The rest of the menagerie stood in a
loose group around them while still more held outside of the open gates.
Maxamillian’s huge wagon had been led from the forest’s edge and the hyena,
Mylere, sat upon its buckboard like a victorious knight upon a conquered
throne.  Around it the remainder of the menagerie clustered to witness the
judgment of the Gods.
            Malger stood in front of his students, his posture slumped.
            Across the commons, in front of the Temple and ancient elven tower,
Earl Tathim sat upon a wagon onto which his chair had been lifted.  The Lady
Asthill sat beside him while their retainers and guards stood around the wagon.
Earl Motense and Baron Vareshad had been relegated to chairs set before the
wagon.  The former looked positively livid at the show while the latter held a
curious intensity in his gaze.  Once more the golden dog sat at his side, it’s
head resting on one of his knees to be stroked distractedly.  Motense was
carrying on some one-sided conversation toward the Baron which he studiously
attempted to ignore with an occasional nod or mutter to make it seem like he was
following it.
            “I will dispense with the useless formalities in the interest of a
swift resolution.” Earl Tathim called out to the crowd, which was far larger
than the tribunal earlier in the day.  “The minstrel Malger, son of Fendil,
stands accused of murder.  Those that he is accused of killing have, themselves,
been accused of crimes for which murder pales by comparison but I am not given
to judge.  In light of the balanced weight of justice it has been decided that
the man, Malger, will face a champion in combat to the death.  The Gods will
choose his fate and justice will be served.
            “Lightbearer Thurn has volunteered to be the Gods’ champion.  Thurn,
please step forward.”  The Lothanasa’s guard stepped out from the shadow of the
temple and strode leisurely to the center of the commons.  He was clad only in a
simple leather brigandine kilt and sandals.  In one hand he carried two swords.
One was a longsword that seemed diminutive against his bulk while the other was
the one Malger had surrendered when he was taken into custody.  On the other arm
he bore a stout buckler rimmed and studded with iron.
“Will the accused please step forward.”
Without a backward look Malger marched toward the center of his courtyard.  In
one hand he carried the sword that he had lost during his fight at the caravan
and Murikeer had retrieved.  Its edges were nicked and its tassels tattered but
under Murikeer’s care it was once again polished to a gleam.  He wore nothing
more than a light vest of silk, thin cotton leggings left loose at mid-calf, and
his most careworn pare of calfskin boots.  Standing before the huge bulk of the
Lightbringer’s divan-bearer Malger looked like little more than a child facing a
giant.
The man extended Malger’s sword, hilt first, toward him as he approached.  “The
mistress told me you brought no armor, boy.” The man rumbled as Malger accepted
the weapon back.  “So I wore none.”
“How kind of you.” Malger quipped flatly as he stepped back a couple of paces.
“May the Gods bear witness to these proceedings.” Tathim intoned from his perch
on the wagon, “Gentlemen, you may begin when you are ready.”
Thurn leaned forward slightly and gave a probing poke with his longsword toward
Malger to open the fray.  The move was leisurely executed but occurred with
spectacular speed.  Malger leaned back slightly and did not raise his swords to
parry as he was sufficiently out of reach.  The tip of the bruin’s blade darted
in and came up a few inches shy of his vest before it was withdrawn.  Taking
Malger’s lassitude as fatalistic resignation to his fate Thurn leaped forward
with another straightforward thrust.
Steel rang in the silence as Malger sidestepped and batted the thrust away.  The
big man’s reach and longer blade gave him an overwhelming advantage that he used
to its fullest, letting his thrust sweep away with the parry and then reversing
its motion with a swift chop.  Malger ducked and parried upward with one sword
laid back along his forearm.  Though the slice bounced harmlessly overhead the
weight of the man’s swing nearly pushed him to the ground.  Malger staggered
with a huff and danced a few paces out of reach.
“Not going to tire me out swinging this dinner knife, boy.” Thurn taunted
softly, smiling as he continued to worry Malger into retreat with desultory
swings of his blade.  Despite seeming careless in their delivery none of them
allowed the blade to swing so far as to leave Malger an easy opening to
riposte.  “I carry my mistress and her chair everywhere, this toy is a feather
by comparison.”
“A showman never gives up the show, bear.” Malger hissed, already winded simply
trying to fend off the heavy impacts of the sword.  “My mistress has already
chosen my fate, and I will embrace it.”  He made no motion to return any of the
bigger man’s attacks, merely choosing to parry or evade them.  Pitching his
voice low he danced up under a swing and hissed up at the bigger warrior.  “Just
favor me with a swift end, when the time comes.”
Thurn danced back a step and swung his shield across to fend off an expected
thrust of the inverted blades but neither lashed out.  The minstrel did not even
poke him with the hilts.  Sweeping his sword down he tried to spear his opponent
like a potato.  His blade sank a handspan into the earth as Malger writhed
smoothly out of range and resumed circling.  With a growl he jerked the sword
out of the ground into a muscular swing.  Dirt and grass arced away from his
slice in a fan as Malger hastily danced back several paces.  “Then fight back
and stop dancing.” Thurn hissed back at him.
Malger acceded to his demand and followed the arc of his swing, both blades
suddenly flipping forward in blinding revolutions to rattle along the length of
his blade.  One sang up its length in a skirl of steel on steel to catch the
hilt of his blade while the other leaped upward to dart inward with a thrust.
Leering, Thurn twisted his longsword, catching Malger’s blade with the forked
quillon, and swept his shield overtop his extended arm to deflect the stab.
Twisting his muscular arm he hauled Malger’s sword down and, leaning his weight
against the trapped blade, raised his shield and brought it down with all of his
considerable weight behind it.
Malger let out an agonized cry as the edge of the shield came down on his blade
and it bent momentarily before snapping with a scintillating crack.  Shards of
metal sang into the air and Malger fell back hastily, abandoning his hilt to
jerk his stinging hand back.  The flying shards sparkled in the sunlight and
then stopped, hanging frozen in mid air.  One halted a handspan from the face of
Lady Asthill’s startled handmaiden like a spear.  Her eyes widened in surprise
as they focused on the razor-edged shard of steel hovering before her.  She
jerked back with a startled gasp and then glared angrily at Malger.  Slowly the
shards began to float away toward the far side of the commons.  Unearthing
itself from the earth into which it had been driven the tip of Malger’s
shattered sword lifted into the air to join the floating shards.
Thurn watched the floating steel warily and circled away from their path,
ignoring Malger for the moment while the minstrel clutched his hand to his
breast.  Tears streaked Malger’s face at the demise of his precious weapon, one
that had been gifted to him two decades before by the arms master who had
trained him in their use.  The hilt shuddered where it lay in the grass and then
began to slide away as if drawn by an invisible string.
As the floating remnants of Malger’s weapon reached his hand Murikeer lightly
plucked them out of the air.  Across the clearing the Lothanasa watched his use
of magic closely and only gave a slow nod as Murikeer met her gaze with his good
eye.  He nodded in return, magic user to magic user, and handed the broken hilt
to Misanthe.  The shards of the blade he let drop to the grass at his feet.
“Damn you.” Malger spat furiously, his voice breaking in grief.
“Gods aint smiling on you all too kindly, minstrel.” Thurn chuckled as he
brought his focus back to Malger.  He had never let the minstrel get out of his
sight while he avoided the queer floating steel.
“Curse them all.” Malger spun his remaining blade lightly in one hand but he
felt what little strength he had left rapidly draining away.
“That’ll make them smile, I’m sure.”  Lunging forward Thurn swept his sword back
for a mighty roundhouse sweep.  His blade whistled through the air and Malger
did not even attempt to parry such a mighty swing.  Rushing in once more he
ducked under the swing to deliver a stab at the man’s open midriff.
Exactly the maneuver Thurn had wanted.
Releasing his sword he let it fly away to fall safely into the grass and quickly
brought his sword arm downward.  He deflected the stab with a twist of his
buckler and hammered his forearm downward upon the minstrel’s back.  Malger
staggered in mid charge with an explosion of breath, colliding with Thurn’s
beefy legs solidly.  The bruin did not even shift his balance as he laughed at
the puny weight thrown against him.  Twisting slightly his hand darted down to
catch Malger’s weapon arm and yanked upward fiercely, ignoring the feel of fur
under his fingers.  He had seen the revelation of the minstrel’s apprentices and
already suspected that the minstrel was like them, some manner of
man-turned-into-beast.  Malger cried out in pain when his shoulder was wrenched
painfully, almost dislocating as he was hauled into the air.

!DSPAM:4d3e9a9e188868154786014!