[Mkguild] Possible change of rules

Marijn van de Mosselaar lionar_panthera at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 6 18:18:30 UTC 2011

Hmmm. Sounds intriguing. I’m not against this but I would like to know why
these rules were put in place to begin with as I wasn’t around when they
were drafted. Also I would like to know what you seek to achieve by relaxing
these rules.
As for the idea itself here’s what I think.
In favour:
Branching out into other universes would raise awareness of our own, more
readers and maybe more new blood. It could mean some fun collaborations
between writers and artists of with different ways of working and writing
styles.
Travelling to other dimensions could be used for standard tropes. (E.g.
Introducing technology/magic not currently available or forbidden. New
insights in existing chararacters, introducing new ones or ‘raising’ them
from the dead. etc.)
Other dimensions could also be used dump unwanted props, plotlines and loose
characters. Reduce clutter should it be desired.
A great potential for growth and an investment for the future.

Against:
It could create arguments between writers of different universes, even if
they are members of both or more universes. Entering new organisms into a
territory that isn’t set up to handle it will cause enviromental problems.
Much the same would apply
in writing unless you clearly define the boundaries of the crossover. It has
a potential for chaos if elements are intoduced either too fast and/or too
much at the same time, I expect our veteran writers will be able to handle
this but cubs like myself
would probably be overwhelmed. Allowing for other universes would mean
ceding some control to permit for a crossover, like setting new
authorizations in your firewall.

You say you’ve been pondering this for some time. Would you have any
examples of universes willing to crossover? Any particular dimensonal gates
opening up? And I would be curious as well what everybody’s opinion is on
this proposal.
An interesting idea for sure.

Leo M. Panther