[Mkguild] Inchoate Carillon, Inconstant Cuckold (4 of ?)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Wed Sep 7 21:49:12 UTC 2011

Forgot yesterday's part, so there's two for today.

Inchoate Carillion, Inconstant Cuckold
By Charles Matthias

In a small rooftop garden she’d established
nestled a single sprout of green, the stem rising
through the loam she kept warm with an anchored
spell. The preparations had been exquisite and
costly, but already, before most any other flower
would emerge especially one native to more
southerly climes, Jessica’s hyacinth was showing
buds. In another week the blossoms would open and
her reservoir of power would begin.

And with it, as she had seen in her dreams last
night, she would be able to change the Curses and
hold them for hours, even days on end. Perhaps
even longer. The possibilities, from mischief to
generous aid, were endless. Her experiments on
Maud and Larssen had proven prophetic if taxing.
She could hardly wait to see how long the spells
would last once the purple and red blossoms broke
forth into the sun’s glistening embrace, drinking
of the currents of magic like nectar.

Jessica stroked the green stem and slender leaves
with the tip of one wing, then straightened and
sighed in contentment. Her breath misted in the
air, but only faintly and quickly dissipated.
There was invariable a fog over Lake Barnhardt in
the morning, and while it lingered over the
center of the lack like a massive white turtle,
it had long since burned off the town. Smoke
curled from chimneys, and the air resounded with
the clanging of the smithy, the bleating of real
animals, and the shouts of merchants readying
wares and the farmers seeking them in preparation for the growing season.

Weyden’s company was returning to Metamor next
week. And though it had long been her home, she
knew she’d miss Lake Barnhardt. She glanced down
to her small planter nestled against one corner
of the barrack’s roof and cracked her beak in an
avian grin. “I will be coming back once a week to tend you my little one.”

Unlike Charles’s vine which she’d often observed
leaning into the rat’s gentle caresses, her
hyacinth merely bent then bounced back into place
at her touch. Jessica stretched her toes, talons
digging into the soft earth, then stretched her
wings and hopped to the edge of the barracks. She
stopped when something in the distance caught her
sharp gaze. A large figure was flying toward them
from the north. On its back were two roughly human-shaped figures.

She knew them.

Jessica shifted into her normal hawk-sized form
and jumped from the rooftop in her excitement.
They met on the other side of the lake where pine
and ash thrust up through a clatter of granite
stones larger than even many inns. She landed on
a flat stretch overlooking the lake, with the
tops of trees peering just above the ledge. Brush
clung to every scrap of dirt amidst the stone.
Guernef came to a ponderous stop, his wings
beating heavily, clattering branches and sending
the last of the snow in a swirling mist to either side.

Before either Andares or Abafouq could climb off
the Nauh-kaee’s back, Jessica had resumed her
most human appearance and hopped to their sides
to hug them. “Oh, it’s so good to see you!
Abafouq, Andares, Guernef! Why have you not visited sooner? I’ve missed you.”

“It is strange how quickly time has disappeared,”
Abafouq admitted as he straighten his woolen
cloak. “You have a saying, ‘it seems only yesterday’ yes? That is how I feel.”

“I know what you mean,” she agreed.

“And it is with much sadness we admit that our
coming here is to say goodbye.” Abafouq, with a
few words supplied by Andares, explained their
plan to her. Jessica listened with heavy heart.
Her objections made no more dent in their resolve than Kayla’s or James’s had.

And they came to an end when Guernef finally
spoke. “There comes an end to all things. We
three of the sky know such things. It too must
end. And so we part. But we shall not forget you,
and the wind will hear our songs always.”

Jessica blinked golden eyes at the
white-feathered and furred creature. “We three?”
She shook her head. “No, don’t bother. I’m so, I
can’t explain it, I don’t think you should
either. So you have to go, please don’t go
forever. Write. Send messages. Maybe we could
even set up a magic scrying stone like Misha uses
to speak to his sister. Just don’t leave our lives forever.”

Andares smiled faintly and put a slender, silvery
hand on her wing shoulder. “We will not do that.
If nothing else, letters will be written. Of that you may rest assured.”

“And we certainly don’t want to part,” Abafouq
said with a long sigh. “But we must. Before we go, how are things with you?”

“They go well. I am learning many new things
since we returned. And soon I will be married to
Weyden. I wish you could stay for the wedding.”

None of them spoke for several seconds. A crisp
breeze caught at her feathers and made Abafouq
grasp his cloak in dismay. The trees rattled as dry bones.

Finally, Jessica flung herself at the Åelf and
held him close in her wings. Her voice was
strained and almost tearful. “You’ve been such
good, dear friends! I’ll miss you all!” Andares
held her gently for several long moments before
she bounced from to Abafouq whom she bent down to
embrace. The Binoq had a firmer grip and almost
hang off her neck before he finally let go.
Guernef’s embrace was slight, a gentle cradling
with one wing and a beak nuzzle much like those
she and Weyden gave to each other. She returned
it, barely able to keep her tears at bay.

Their final goodbyes were short, hesitant but
quick, as if none of them wished to leave but
feared to linger. Jessica watched them fly to the
south on Guernef’s back, but for once her hawk’s
eyes had trouble focusing. The tears streamed
down her feathers and she trembled. The cold air
cut her like so many little knives. She couldn’t
wait to return to Metamor. She could be close to
Kayla and Lindsey there at least.

Jessica flapped her wings and returned to the
city. Right then she just wanted to forget everything.

----------

At the southern end of the valley, where the
broad fields fought with the encroaching forests
clustering beneath te edges of the mountains, the
sun warmed the land and presaged the coming
Spring. Its promise was sweet to the Metamorians
who had endured a Winter wondering whether they
would be attacked yet again. For the people of
Jetta, it was time to begin planting crops.

And it was also time to check and repair the
defences. The two visiting knights, their
squires, and several members of Jetta’s militia
patrolled the southern palisades. Egland
frequently rattled the wooden slats and pointed
out those that needed replacing. Only a few did.

By the time they reached a small bluff on which
an old tower stood, the sun was beginning its way
back down. There they met a surprising pair.
Resting a hearty paw against the stone tower was
the bear Sho Rosewain. And speaking with her,
dressed in a black robe dirtied about the ankles,
was the Questioner priest Felsah.

“Father Felsah,” Sir Egland said in faint
delight. “I did not know you were in Jetta.”

The priest nodded to the knights, squires, and
foot soldiers following them. “Sir Egland. Sir
Saulius. I arrived only an hour past.”

Egland noted his still human appearance. “The
Curses haven’t touched you I see, Father.”

“Not yet no,” Felsah agreed. He smiled to the
much larger bear who grinned back. “But I’m sure it will not be long now.”

“I’ve been showing him the tower,” Sho said in
her basso rumble. The bear patted the stone and
glanced up at the unfinished cupola. “We’ll be
able to see for miles once it’s finished.”

“I’m surprised you don’t have more,” Egland
commented, casting a glance back at the militia
captain, a broad shouldered woman with
close-cropped brown hair and a bow slung over her shoulder.

She jutted her chin at the tower. “There used to
be. Hasn’t been as much need since the Curses.”

Sho almost growled. “There is a need! I was kept
in a cage not one mile from this spot until I became this!”

The militia captain held up one hand. “I know. I
know. That’s why the tower’s being built.”

“We need more stones,” Sho pointed out. Felsah
set a hand gently on her massive arm and she seemed to still.

Sir Egland and Sir Saulius both dismounted. Their
squires followed them. Egland glanced over the
southern fields on either side of the tower. The
palisade kept the tower defended from all but the
north where Jetta lay. The boundary of the Curses
lay somewhere in the mixed shrub and low hills
before him. Stone markers had been placed to warn
travellers. But they’d also been used to make
roadside attractions like Sho for villainous showmen.

Egland studied the tower and grimaced at the dark
lines of mould between the close-fitting blocks
of granite. “This looks like an older tower.”

“The older tower burned a dozen years ago,” the militia captain explained.

But Charles was already pressing his paws against
the stone. Sir Saulius beckoned him back, but the
rat would not be distracted. This was stone. The
flesh on his paws turned hard and grey, and then
pressed into the stone. Sho jumped back and made
the sign of the yew over her chest. Felsah stared
in dumbfounded surprise. Even Egland began to stutter at the sight.

Charles didn’t hear any of them. He felt the
complaint of long neglect and the brittleness of
a roaring fire. But there was a smouldering hope
in the rock too. His still flesh muzzle creased
in a smile, and his whiskers twitched across the
tower wall. He withdrew his paws and let them return to flesh.

“The stone is old,” Charles said, “and it did
suffer fire, but it is still strong. You’ll want
to shore up with another inner layer of stone and
wood before building any higher. But I think this
will be a fine tower. Now you need more stone. I
can find some for you and help convince it to be shaped well.”

Nobody took him up on the offer. Instead everyone
gazed at him with a mixture of fright and wonder.
Only Sir Saulius knew his secret. His knight
moved in closer and put a single paw on his
shoulder. “My squire didst suffer a magical spell
which made him living stone. But the spell hath
been broken and he now controls the stone. ‘Tis nothing to fear.”

“You can become stone?” Sho asked as she neared
her precious tower. She rubbed the spot Charles
had slipped his paw in and marvelled. “How?”

“A spell, but the caster is now dead. It no
longer traps me. But, I can communicate with
stone. It’s...” he groped for the right word for
several seconds but gave up with a shake of his
head. “I cannot explain it. But, while this,” and
all of his flesh turned to granite and his eyes
to obsidian jewels, “I can pass through stone as if it were water.”

Sho put one paw on the top of his head and her
dark eyes widened. “Oh! You’re so cold!”

“I’m stone,” he replied. “Although if I stay out
in the sun like this long enough I’m told I start to get warm.”

“You don’t know?”

He shook his head. “I can’t feel as much like
this. Except for other stones. Those I feel.”

“Other stones?” Felsah asked, his lips a faint,
but unreadable line. “Do you think yourself a stone?”

Charles closed his eyes, and when he opened them
he was flesh again. “Forgive me. I spent over
four months as living stone; it was hard enough
then keeping my thoughts straight. I have not
become a full statue often since then. Stone
thoughts can be... easy to accept sometimes.”

Felsah rubbed his chin, “We will have to discuss
that some time. It is very curious.”

“But another time,” Sir Egland said with a sweep
of his arm. “This tower ought to be rebuilt. And
not just to keep foreigners from forcing their
victims to suffer the Curse. Our southern borders
have been peaceful for many years, but that may
not always be the case. I will recommend that
several more towers be built along the palisade.”

“Oh they will be,” Sho assured them, to which the
captain nodded vigorously. “And I’d like to take
you up on your offer to help...”

“Charles,” he supplied. “And it will have to wait
some time. I am eager to return to my wife and children up in Glen Avery.”

“Isn’t that at the northern end of the Valley?”
Sho asked. He nodded. “Then may Eli grant you a
speedy return. But if you could help us, we would welcome it.”

“I will try. If Sir Saulius gives me leave, I can
come with you and now and show you good stone.”

“After we hath completed our inspection of the
palisade,” Saulius said in a gentle but firm tone. “‘Twill not be much longer.”

Sho bowed her head a full foot lower and placed
her paws together as if praying. Thank you, Charles. We will be here.”

Sir Egland patted the tower one last time and
cast a commanding glance across the menagerie of
Metamorian soldiers. “With that settled, let us
continue. Mount up. We’ve another mile to inspect
and the sun won’t be with us forever.”

Charles felt the mildest twinges of
disappointment as he left the stone tower behind
and resumed his duties. Felsah and Sho waved to
them as they continued their ride east along the palisade.

!DSPAM:4e67e6e124631804284693!