[Mkguild] Inchoate Carillon, Inconstant Cuckold (5 of ?)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Wed Sep 7 21:50:18 UTC 2011

Inchoate Carillion, Inconstant Cuckold
By Charles Matthias

“This one will do nicely,” the bull Tathom said
as he pat his hoof-like hand against the trunk of
a mid-age oak. Twenty feet above their heads, a
lightning strike had severed one of the larger
limbs and it dangled in the brush, not yet fully
dead. “Get this one down and cleaned and we’ll call it a day.”

Michael the plaid beaver hefted his axe, muscles
rippling beneath his fur and light jerkin. In the
almost two years that he’d been part of the
timber crews, he’d developed a bulk and stoutness
that rivaled many trees. Some days he was put on
chopping duty, and others on cleaning duty. Every
now and again when on cleaning duty he’d just
bite the slimmer branches off with his rodent
teeth. But he always felt the most invigorated
when chopping and so he grinned and took a few
steps toward the tree, turning to one side with a
lopsided grin. “Do you want the first swing, Lindsey, or can I have it?”

Only Lindsey, the very man who’d helped him
adjust to life on the timber crews, wasn’t there
at his side. “Lindsey?” In the weeks since his
return from the far south Michael had grown used
to having Lindsey there at his side again. He’d
spoken of his adventures, but of the last two
months he’d remained almost completely silent.
Michael had understood his need for solitude and
had not pried. But he’d never just wandered away from the crew before.

Michael scanned about, as did several other
heads. It was the moose Lance who spotted him.
“He’s down there by the road. How did he sneak
off like that?” The moose shook his head, newly
forming antlers shivering with velvet.

The road was a good fifty paces through a trail
half wood and half scrub. Michael started on the
trail until he got a good look at his friend.
Lindsey’s back was to them, but there were three
other figures down there next to him. The beaver
recognized them as some of his friends from his
journey to the south. Lindsey and the tall strange one embraced.

Michael averted his eyes and waved the other
members of the crew back. “Lindsey’s friends are
here. Looks private to me. Let’s start on this tree.”

They had chopped halfway through the trunk, wood
splinters clinging to his tunic, when Lindsey
returned, quiet like a shadow tilting away from
the sun. His expression was dour, but that was
not unusual for the burly Northerner. Michael
grinned, peach-cream skin poking through his red
and black fur. “There’s still half a trunk here,
Lindsey. You want to take a few swings?”

“Aye, thank you.” Lindsey hefted his large axe,
felt one finger along the edge, and then slammed
it into the trunk. Splinters scattered, and the
tree shuddered, groaning as more and more weight
shifted to the side. “I’m sorry I left,” he added
after brushing a few chips from his beard. “But my friends...”

Lindsey swung again, and a second time without
finishing the sentence. Michael rolled the haft
around in his paws. “Your friends?”

“They had to say goodbye. They’re heading home.”

“Home,” Michael repeated quietly as Lindsey swung
again. He opened his muzzle to say something
more, but thought better of it. They’d have to
visit that tavern in Sawtry later tonight.
Somehow he just knew they were going to hear a
story about Habakkuk from their friend tonight.
There was a look in the bearded man’s eyes, a
look Michael knew meant a certain kangaroo who’d not come back.

Lindsey felled the tree in three more strokes,
each one more fierce than the last. Michael
decided he’d better dip a little bit more into his coin for cups that night.

----------

A paean from the bells!

And his merry bosom swells...

James tapped the cracked bell lightly with the
hammer as he suspended it in air. The gentle
throb echoed through the smithy while Malloc
looked on with approval. The tone was clear,
sonorous, and breached every attempt at
description. It pleased Malloc whose grin
stretched from one ruddy cheek to the other. His
eyes twinkled like dancing crystals.

“Well, boy, you’ve coaxed a prettier sound from
that bell then it had fore it cracked!” Malloc
clapped his hands together and then patted him on
the arm. “Any time you want to help out, you’re more than welcome.”

James’s eyes savoured the way the light bent
around the bell’s conical bore. Everything spun
and twisted, turning with each twist of his hand.
It weighed only a few stone which made it even
more comfortable in his three-fingered hand. “I
think this will be all,” he admitted when he
finally tore his gaze away. “Thank you for
letting me do this, Master Malloc.” He smiled to
the age-regressed smithy and to his wife Emily.
The rhinoceros clapped her meaty hands together and bleated.

“You are always welcome back here, Master James.”
Emily gestured at a small tray of sausage she’d
just brought for the apprentices and her husband.
“If you’d like you may have some. You’ve earned it.”

James pondered, but decided his stomach wasn’t up
to sausage. “Thank you, but not today. I really
should get going. It’s late and I promised Baerle
and Kimberly I’d stop by and see if they needed me for anything.”

Malloc and Emily wished him well, protesting that
he should come back and do more for them any time
he wished. He thanked them again and carried his
bell in his left hand back to the Glen commons.
He wanted to show this to Baerle and Lady
Matthias, and of course, the children. They’d
certainly be impressed with what he’d done.
Fixing the crack had taken a few hours of work
every day for a week. But it had been well worth
it. His heart leapt in his chest with every resonant note he coaxed

Lanterns were lit around the commons even though
there was still enough sunlight to see by. In
another hour twilight would begin to grip the
Glen, shadows becoming greater than the few rays
of light that could penetrate the forest canopy
beneath which they dwelt. The air was brisk and
cooling quickly. James thought about returning to
the Inn and bringing his cloak, but decided a little chill couldn’t hurt.

One of the wagons owned by the rats from Metamor
was nestled against one of the large roots
framing the entrance to the Matthias home. A
liveried man old enough to have been cursed was
busy tending the horses in the stables the
knights had built for Charles in January. James
waved to him and then walked to the familiar oaken door to the Matthias home.

It was very warm inside and smelled of freshly
cooked bread and nuts. Tea steeped over the fire
and Baerle was there watching it. James smiled to
her and then waved to Kimberly who sat on the
couch with bright face and whiskers. “Oh, James!
Come in, Goldmark’s brought news.”

The rat Goldmark was stretched out on the couch,
all four legs sticking out from underneath his
grey-furred belly. The children were sitting next
to him, snug between his paws, though little
Erick was busy trying to stab his hearty tail
with a little wooden sword. They all chorused,
“Welcome, Master James!” when he stepped closer.

“And a good evening to you too.” He looked at the
rat who had on the courier uniform the rat’s had
designed for themselves. A burgundy vest over
blue tunic and trousers with boots to match the
vest. Only at the moment he wasn’t wearing the trousers.

“Ah, James,” Goldmark said with a broad smile. “I
was just telling Lady Kimberly the good news.”

“Much more cheering then the bad news one of
George’s messengers brought me earlier!” Kimberly
said in exasperation. “Can you believe the jackal
has Charles staying on patrol for a few days more?”

James frowned, ears lowering. He didn’t know
George at all, except from what Charles had said
of him and from the fight in the belfry. But it
sounded like the sort of thing those in authority
might do. “So he won’t be back tomorrow?”

“Not for another two days,” Kimberly added with a
long sigh. The children lowered their snouts too,
then resumed their play on Goldmark’s expansive
lower torso. The rat with six limbs watched the
four little rats with broad amusement. But
Charles’s wife was quick, like her children, to
smile again, a bright thing that set her
prodigious whiskers twitching up and down. “The
good news ­ the wonderful news ­ that
Bernadette’s oldest boy, Richard, is getting married in a few days!”

James only knew the kitchen mouse by what
Kimberly had said of her. He hadn’t even known
she had a son, let alone one old enough to marry!
“Oh, well, that is good news,” James replied. “I
guess I should begin assembling our things for the journey to Metamor.”

Kimberly shook her head, casting a quick glance
at Baerle who poured tea for each of them. James
followed her glance and watched the opossum a bit
sheepishly. The lady rat’s voice was elated but
firm, “No, I want you and Baerle to stay here and
wait for Charles in case he doesn’t hear the
news. You never know where he’s going to be when
he’s on patrol! Goldmark and I will return to
Metamor with the children tomorrow. I hope
Charles can meet us there, but if he comes back
here, you can send him straightaway to Metamor.”

“Oh,” James added, a little more relieved than he
expected. Surely after travelling so long, he was
merely delighted not to have to journey again so
soon. “Would you like me to do anything while you are away?”

Kimberly’s face was almost angelic in its
brightness. “Just help Baerle keep the house
clean. I expect we’ll be gone a week. The
children need to spend more time at Metamor anyway.”

“I love Metamor!” Little Charles piped up in his
high-pitched voice. His long tail lashed back and
forth in excitement, the tip tickling one of
Goldmark’s front paws. The six-limbed larger rat
shifted on the couch trying not to laugh.

“”Is that the bell you’ve been working on?”
Kimberly asked, pointing with one claw at the
brass bell dangling from the donkey’s hand.

James blinked and lifted it so all could see. The
four little rats lifted their heads and peered
with wide eyes. “Oh yes. I just finished it. Would you like to hear?”

“Oh please,” Baerle said as she set the kettle
aside and settled on the couch next to Kimberly. “What does it sound like?”

James lifted the bell, and with timorous delight,
swung downward. The resounding gong warmed the
air, soothed the ear, and blotted out all thought
other than the vivacious sonority like a lens
distorting light. Even the tongues of fire bent
and cowed before it, flickering blue an gold
before resuming their brilliant vermillion aura.

Goldmark gaped and blinked, whiskers gone
completely still. The four children oohed in
delight, their bodies, so full of nervous energy,
for the moment stilled into awe. Baerle had one
paw on her breasts, breathing deeply and
rapturously. Kimberly clasped her paws together,
and eyes translated to joy. “Oh my, James! That is so beautiful!”

The donkey blushed in delight, his ears folding
back along his spiky mane. “Thank you, milady
Kimberly. I am delighted by it too.”

Their voices broke the eerie calm that had
befallen them, and the children chittered again
in playful abandon. Baerle lifted a cup of tea
and held it out to James. “Will you join us for tea?”

James accepted and felt his chest expand. “Of
course. Thank you, Baerle.” He sat down next to
Goldmark and set the bell on the table between
them. Four little rodent faces, twisted by the
curve of the bell, stared back at him from the brass.

----------

“Oh this looks like a wonderful vein,” Sho’s
basso voice rumbled in an ursine purr. Her paw
stroked down the rocky granite jutting out from
the hillside as it rose in a set of ascending
bluffs toward the western edge of the Barrier
Range. They were on the extreme eastern edge of
the valley, two miles out from Jetta, but close
enough that standing on the promontory they could
easily see the village. An old woodcutter track
cut through a thin forest filled with young birch
and pine. But their passage had been the first in
many years to judge by the clogged undergrowth.

Charles, completely stone, ran his fingers
through the pearly rock and smiled. This was good
solid rock with an agreeable temperament. An hour
more and it would readily volunteer itself for
the tower. For the first time that day, he truly
felt contented with helping in Jetta. How much of
that was due to Sho’s unique presence and
personality, not being around Saulius, Egland, or
Intoran, or spending so much time as stone he wasn’t sure.

“There is more than enough here,” he said in his
empty air voice, “for at least four towers. I’m
not sure the rock will want to give up quite so
much, so I’d start with just enough to repair the first.”

Sister Sho Rosewain nodded and ran his paws
across the vein, claws dragging and delicately
sharpening against the granite. “This is very
important, squire Charles. Not just to me, but to
those who haven’t been cursed. I will not let
anyone do as Sideshow did; not if it’s within my power to stop them.”

So contented was he by the granite through which
his arms had sunk up to his elbows that he didn’t
even flinch when she called him squire. “We’d
heard rumours of it happening. But I’d never
known for sure until I met you, Sho. I’m... I cannot imagine it.”

Her eyes darkened as she looked toward the south.
“And none ever should again.” She then blinked
and turned to the went, shielding her eyes with a meaty paw. “What’s that?”

Charles turned, jeweled eyes having no trouble
despite the evening sun shining directly on them.
He jumped from the rock and grinned. “My friends!
That’s Guernef and I think Abafouq and Andares on
his back!” He waved to them as they descended out of the darkening sky.

The welcome he received was not at all what he
expected. Guernef landed a few feet in front of
him and squawked angrily, golden eyes burning and
intense. “Charles! I have warned you about being stone!”

The granite rat fell back a pace as Andares and
Abafouq scrambled off the feathered back. Even
they appeared astounded at the severity of the
Nauh-kaee’s reaction. “I was helping Sister Sho
here find good stone for her tower,” he replied,
gesturing to the bear who’d tensed and begun to growl.

“Don’t you talk to him that way!” Sho snapped and
advanced on the gryphon, claws and fangs
menacing. “I’ve had enough of monsters bullying
others and you won’t do it to him!”

Guernef’s eyes became still with avian rigidity
and truculence. “I have no quarrel with you. Nor
do you understand. Charles has several times
nearly lost himself to the stone. It is a
temptation he still faces and cannot seem to
resist! I have warned him again and again to no avail.”

Charles backed up against the promontory and
shoved his tail inside the welcome stone. It did
a great deal to calm his jagged nerves. “I am not
giving into the stone. I’m using it to help a friend.”

Sho had stopped her advance, a little uncertain,
but still kept a fierce snarl fixed on the
Nauh-kaee. Abafouq had one hand on his side as if
that were going to hold him back. Andares watched
with intense scrutiny, eyes flashing back and
forth between them with each breath. But the
gryphon’s fiery denouncement of a moment past
faded into his more typical avian distance, yet
losing none of its intensity. “If you are not
giving into the stone, prove it by returning to flesh.”

The rat felt an impulse to disappear within the
rock behind him, but knew immediately such was
foolishness. He stepped forward and willed
himself to return to flesh. His heart sagged in
his chest and he felt heavier if it were
possible. “You see, Guernef? It is something I
can do, and I am not tempted by the mountain
anymore. I don’t want to be a mountain, Guernef. I want to be a father.”

“I believe him, Guernef,” Abafouq said as he
gently ran one small hand along the Nauh-kaee’s
feathery mane. “I can see things in stone you
can’t. It doesn’t look like it has the hold over him it once did.”

Guernef narrowed his eyes, leonine tail lashing
back and forth, wings alternately spreading wide
and folding along his back. Andares steadied the
wing on his left and smiled faintly. “Your friend
speaks rightly. Charles has been very responsible
in his use of stone since Marzac was defeated.”

Very simply, the Nauh-kaee squawked, “It still tempts him.”

Charles wrapped his paws around the vine at his
chest and shook his head back and forth. “I can’t
be a father if I’m a mountain. I’ve already lost
one child, Guernef. I’m not going to let this take the other four from me.”

He felt a hearty paw on his shoulder and saw Sho
there towering above him. She had to bend down to
even reach him to comfort him. “I believe you,
squire Charles. And I thank you again for your
help. You have no idea what it means to me.”

Charles smiled to her and then looked to his
traveling companions. “I know you worry for me,
Guernef. And I thank you for that too. I wish I
could cool your anxiety, but I can only promise
that I am not tempted by the stone anymore. It
is, just a part of me, but not the most important part.”

“I do not wholly believe you,” Guernef replied in
cool tones. “But I must trust you. You have been
my friend and I am yours. But now that we must
part, I find you stone again. You frighten me, Charles.”

“I apologize. But I haven’t been full stone in a
long time. I only consented to help Sho find good
rock for her tower. Nothing more.” And then the
important of the gryphon’s words struck him. “We
must part? Where are you going?”

“Home,” Andares replied. “For I, the Åelfwood.
For Abafouq and Guernef, the mountains. We may
return someday, and I hope that we do, but there
are many things we must do, many things we must return to.”

Charles patted Sho’s paw with one of his own, and
then walked to each of his friends and gave them
a firm hug, one deeper and more heartfelt than
many ever shared. Even Guernef he embraced, the
acrimony of a moment gone. “You will all be
missed. In a way, I wish we could still be traveling together.”

“As do I,” Abafouq admitted with a long sigh.
“But life continues and we must return to ours.”

Andares had no more words that he could share,
but Guernef offered one parting command. With
eyes level, beak tilting ever so slightly in his
direction, and ears folded back, the Nauh-kaee said, “Be a father.”

Then, with the sun dwindling in the sky, Andares
and Abafouq climbed on Guernef’s back and the
trio disappeared back to the north. Charles
climbed onto the promontory so he could watch
them, but the trees to the north were too tall
and he soon lost sight of them. He sighed, and
slipped off the rock, being careful not to let
any part of himself glide through it.

“Well,” he said to Sho who only just now looked
as if she realized what it was she’d been talking to, “shall we head back?”

The bruin, blinked a few times to rouse herself
form her shaken stupor and nodded. “Next time you
come,” she suggested as he remounted Malicon,
“bring your children with you. I’d love to meet them too.”

His smile was faint but real. “I will. Thank you,
Sister Sho, for giving me something real to help with.”

As evening settled in and the already cool air
took on a chill, they started their return to
Jetta. No more words passed between them on their journey.

!DSPAM:4e67e71725062366718218!