[Mkguild] Inchoate Carillon, Inconstant Cuckold (12 of ?)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Sun Sep 25 03:01:35 UTC 2011

Inchoate Carillion, Inconstant Cuckold
By Charles Matthias

Charles strokes his furless paw across the top of
the half-size beds tucked away in one of the
upstairs rooms. Neatly pressed quilts decorated
with stylized trees and pine cones covered the
soft feather mattresses. The fabric had been cut
in several places and sewn over a sign of a
Keeper not being careful of their claws. Charles
had similarly destroying his linens many times in the past.

There were four of these small beds, each hastily
made when the children had outgrown their cribs a
month past. After returning to the Glen once
Kayla had been freed from the evil dragon, he'd
spent a few days shaping the wood with James and
Garigan; asking Burris would have been simpler
and cheating in a strange way. Together they'd
gathered the wood and built the frames, doing
most of the work out in the stables Saulius and
the other knights had built a couple of months before.

These new beds would be good for a year or two he
hoped. By the time they needed real beds he hoped
that his carpentry skills would be good enough to
fashion something finer, though he knew he'd
likely have to hire help from the local
carpenter. Burris would have gladly done the
work, and as much as he liked the Woodpecker, he
didn't want his children growing up relying on
magic to solve all of their problems.

If they did grow up.

Charles felt his grip stiffen on the footboard
and he repressed the shudder that echoed through
his muscles from his long toes, along his tail,
and up to his scalloped ears. The wood began to
crunch beneath his fingers and, startled, he
managed to let go and take a step back. “I will
see them again,” he said softly, almost whistling
the words through his incisors. His paws yanked a
chewstick from his belt and he stood there
staring at the empty beds as he concentration on his gnawing.

The small room in which his children slept had
only a few other decorations. A small cabinet at
the back stored their clothes and their toys,
while a yew was hung from the wall over each of
their beds. The walls were warmed by the magic
used in the shaping of their tree home. A long
green and blue rug stretched from the cabinet to
the oaken door with the beds on either side. It
was marred by many threads pulled loose by
careless claws. Charles bent down and snipped one
between his narrow claws. He felt the vine pull
taut around his chest as he did so.

“I'm just fixing it,” he said softly as if the
vine could hear him. Maybe it could.

Charles snipped a few more loose threads before
standing back up and sighing heavily. Behind him
he could hear Baerle's gentle paws climbing the
steps up from the main room. He lowered his long
snout and waited for her to come and find him.

The opossum ducked her head into the room still
dressed in her scouting gear. She folded her paws
before her, white and black fingers rubbing over
one another anxiously. “They will be safe,” she
offered quietly. “They will be.”

“The Long House is a good place,” Charles
admitted with another sigh. “Probably the safest
place they could be inside the Keep walls now.
But... plague... it finds ways, Baerle. It finds
ways through walls and closed doors and windows.
It comes down chimneys, it comes up cellars. It
finds ways! And it can last months.”

Though he did not turn his snout to gaze at her
slender and well-proportioned form, he did watch
her with one eye. One paw lifted to the end of
her snout, and in a very timorous voice she added, “Years?”

He snorted and felt a sudden urge to smash his
fist into something. “No. Plague kills all of its
available victims before it can last that long.”
He turned fully away from her and balled his paws
into fists against his chest. The need to destroy
something, to see something shatter into a
million pieces and scatter into the air before
him was almost impossible to ignore.

She stepped closer and put a paw on his shoulder.
“Please have hope, Charles. It won't be forever.
They'll be back in your arms...”

“Alive,” he added through gritted teeth. “They
better be.” He tilted back his head and glared up
at the ceiling. “What are you doing here, Baerle?”

Her voice was gentle and her whiskers brushed
against the tips of his ears. “Angus wanted us to
come to Lars's to discuss assignments in an hour. Well, it's been an hour.”

“An hour?” Charles asked as he shut his eyes
tight. The scarred flesh pulled taut until it
stung. “I've been here an hour?” It had only felt
like minutes since he'd stepped into his home and
moved from room to room and seeing their
emptiness. Everything he'd seen had felt fresh
and recently touched, but there was no one but himself to touch them.

“Aye,” she replied as her paws ever so slightly
tightened around his shoulders. He could feel her
legs with his tail. “Please come with me,
Charles. There's nothing you can do right now.
You're only making yourself feel worse.”

Charles lowered his paws to his sides to grab his
chewstick, but he held it so tightly that it
snapped in three places before reaching his
snout. He shuddered and took a few steps forward
to get away from her. “Maybe... maybe you're right.”

He could hear her bend over to pick up the pieces
of his chewstick. “Do you need some time to find your Calm?”

“Nay,” he said with a long sigh. “I'll be fine.”

Yet he didn't move. His tail drooped until it
brushed the rug and the splinters. The vine
pressed closer to his chest and back, soft
tendrils and new leaves resting against his
furred flesh like a hundred comforting hands. His
ears turned slightly as he heard Baerle the
opossum stand back up, her scouting vest
tightening against her chest. He breathed,
absorbing the scent of his children, sweet and
subtle with its gentleness, mixed now with the
earthy flavor of his wife's wetnurse.

“Charles?” Her voice cut through all his other
senses so quickly that his whiskers fluttered in
near surprise. “Charles, are you sure?”

“Sure?”

“That you are fine.”

He almost squeaked in bitter amusement at the
question. “I am not fine. My wife and children
are... I'm not fine. But I will be fine enough. I
will... be.” He slowly made himself turn around
and look up into her concerned snout. “I will be.”

Baerle stared into his face, dark eyes slowly
moving across his sloped brow before settling on
the black and twisted scar around his right eye.
The opossum's whiskers twitched anxiously and
compassionately, and yet also, diffidently.
Slowly, her thin, dark lips opened to reveal the
many pointer fangs hiding behind them. “Then we
should go. They're waiting for us.”

She held out a paw to him which he stared at for
a moment before taking. His paw slid into hers,
soft flesh meeting soft flesh. Their fingers
curled around one another and the edges of her
jowls twitched into a faint but reassuring smile.
Charles could not return it, but he did step
toward her, and then, alongside her as they
walked out the door and then down the stairs.

They only let go when they stepped out his front
door and walked past the tree roots and into the
snow drifts of the Glen Avery commons.

----------

There were only a few empty seats in Lars's
brewery when they arrived. Angus was waiting for
them by the doorway, arms crossed over his
heavy-set chest, a bit of leather caught between
his teeth that he chewed between his molars. The
badger nodded to them both as the rat stared in
shock at the press of flesh inside the bruin's
establishment. For Charles, it was like the day
he and his fellow Sondeckis had come while
Nasoj's forces were assaulting Metamor in the
dead of a winter storm. The only Glenner's not
present were those on patrol and those tending their families.

“Good,” Angus said to them both. “You haven't
missed anything you don't already know. Let's get you both a seat.”

“Thank you,” Charles said to the badger while trying to smile and failing.

Angus led them into the midst of the crowd which
had gathered around one of the center long row
tables just in front of the main bar. There the
gray squirrel Lord Brian Avery stood with a
well-used map clustered about by his advisers.
Charles recognized Alldis the deer hunter and
Berchem the skunk archer, as well as Burris the
woodpecker woodmage. When Angus approached
several of the scouts he knew parted before the
badger to let him through. Lord Avery lifted his
head and nodded to the master of the Glen soldiers but he did not smile.

The squirrel's eyes noted Charles, and his nose
and whiskers twitched, his tail nearly pushing
the deer aside in its anxious whipping. “Charles,
I am glad you're here, even if I wish you
weren't. We may need your special skills in the days and weeks ahead.”

“I'll help anyway I can,” Charles replied. He
felt a few paws pat him on the shoulder, and he
nodded to the other Glenners, each of which was a
friend in one way or another. He was surprised
that he didn't see James nearby, but he did spy
Sir Saulius. The knight rat expertly slipped
through the throng to wind his way to his
squire's side. Charles felt a brief flash of
irritation at seeing his fellow rat and his
superior in the knightly ways, but the moment
passed quickly. No matter what had come to pass,
it had not been Saulius's fault.

“Good,” Lord Avery continued. “Now until the
quarantine is lifted, we have to keep watch over
the roads and woods nearby. Tarrelton and
Barnhardt will make sure that nobody escapes the
quarantine heading north, so we shouldn't have to
worry about that.” There was a mass sigh of
relief; none wanted to have to kill fellow
Metamorians. “But we do have to worry about the
Lutin tribes and other enemies to the north. Word
will spread, and when it does, they may try to
take advantage of Metamor's weakness. It is up to us to put a stop to that.”

Snouts bobbed up and down in agreement.

“The Long Scouts are coordinating the defense of
the Giant's Dike at Hareford. They have more than
enough troops there to keep adventurous Lutins
from causing any more than the usual mischief.”

“And when they slip past Hareford's troops,”
Angus added, the last word almost dripping with
disdain, “we'll be here to stop them.”

“I have heard good things about their new
commander,” Alldis the deer offered with a slight
tilt to his head. Velveted antlers were just
beginning to grow beside his ears. “They say Sir
Dupré is not one to be underestimated.”

“I'll believe it when I see him in battle,” Angus retorted.

“Enough of that,” Lord Avery chided with a sharp
chitter. “Angus, I need you to organize patrol
schedules for everyone for the next two weeks.
We'll also need some horsemen along the road. Sir
Saulius, can we count on you for that?”

The rat knight placed one paw on Charles's
shoulder and nodded firmly. “My squire and I shalt not fail thee, Lord Avery.”

Charles bristled at being so volunteered again,
but said nothing. But the squirrel lord narrowed
his gaze and fixed the two rats a commanding
stare. It was strange coming from a squirrel, but
like all else in Metamor, they had grown used to
such incongruities. “For now, that is fine. But I
have in mind another task for Charles in the
coming days. One where no horse is going to be going.”

Saulius's paw slipped. “Oh?”

Avery gestured at the map, drawing is finger
across a line of mountains flanking the valley.
Charles recognized Glen Avery and its forest
adjacent to the mountains. “After the odious
Baron Calephas tried to attack us two years ago,
Burris created several talismans to be placed
within the mountains that would warn us if the
Lutins or anyone else should choose those
dangerous paths; only those who seek us harm
would risk the mountain road. We don't know how
long the quarantine will last, so we'll want
these talisman's fully charged. Charles, you have
mountain climbing experience and the equipment.
Once Burris has readied the supplies you'll need
to fully restore magical force to the talismans,
will you be willing to venture into the mountains for us?”

The rat frowned at the suggestion but nodded. “I
can do as you ask; but would it not be better to
wait until the mountain passes have opened? They
must be choked with snow and ice now.”

“They are,” Alldis admitted, even as Avery,
Berchem, and Angus nodded as one. Only Burris
kept his head still, and that was more from long
practice to keep from his hurting his beak than
from disagreement. The deer continued, placing a
thick hoof-like nail atop the map where the
mountains framed the northwestern edge of the
Valley. “And they might be until Summer.”

“They should be fine,” Burris said with a chirp.
The woodpecker kept his wings close to his back
as he tried to keep any of the other Glenner's
from touching him and putting any of his feathers
out of place. “But they might not be. I was
hoping to do this myself this Summer but now it shouldn't wait.”

“I agree,” Lord Avery said with a quick nod. “How
long will it take you to prepare what is needed?”

“Three or four days, maybe five.” Burris opened
his beak to say something more than closed it and appeared to brood.

“I also have some experience in the mountains,”
Baerle offered. The opossum stood just behind
Charles, the tip of her snout framed by his
scalloped ears. “Nobody should go alone.”

Lord Avery nodded in approval. “I was hoping you
would volunteer. But there's one more who has
mountain experience like Charles that I want to
have go.” He lifted his head and scanned the
gathered crowd pressing on all sides. “James? Are you here?”

 From the back of the room the donkey's half-bray
sounded. “Aye, I'm here.” Glenneres stood out of
the way so that they could see across the cavern
hall. Lit by a nearby brazier, the donkey's gray
hide seemed orange in the warm light. He sat upon
a stool against the wall, one hoof resting on a
cross-beam, while the other dangled an inch above
the wooden planks. Resting in his lap was the
broken bell, glistening in the light like a still
beating heart in the chest of a slain elk. His
ears stuck out from either side of his head
casting shadows across his face so that his dark eyes seemed sunken.

“I would like you to join Charles and Baerle on
the journey into the mountains,” Lord Avery said
with a slight nod toward the donkey.

“Of course,” James replied. “I'll be happy to go.”

“And I'll go,” Angus added, “since I know where the talismans are!”

“Then that's settled,” Lord Avery said with a
flick of his tail. “Burris, let me know when your
supplies are ready. Now, there's much more to do
before we are finished. What is next in our defenses?”

!DSPAM:4e7e999a177591804284693!