[Mkguild] Inchoate Carillon, Inconstant Cuckold (11 of ?)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Sat Sep 24 02:38:48 UTC 2011

Inchoate Carillion, Inconstant Cuckold
By Charles Matthias

March 5, 708 CR

The return to Glen Avery was done next morning. Already the news of
the plague had reached them and the town was preparing for the worst.
Jo was swamped with scouts curious if their slight maladies were a
sign of plague, and Angus was busy making sure that the perimeter of
town was safe. He wasn't eager to let the two rats back until they'd
been examined by Jo, Burris, and Lady Avery herself. Nor was he that
happy with any of the news they brought.

"If Metamor is shut up, that means the defense of the Valley falls to
us." The badger's scowl revealed a plethora of yellowed, sharp teeth.
He guided them past scrambling scouts trying to erect physical
defenses and other busily cleaning up the effects of a slight
snowfall the previous evening. "I was afraid of that."

"What of Hareford to the northeast?" Saulius asked as he noted all
the activity with twitching nose and whisker.

"What of them?" Angus snorted derisively. "They hide in their castle
if there's a hand of snow on the ground."

The rat knight regarded the badger with a curious eye and
disapproving moue. "I dost not believe thou hast made a fair
characterization, Master Badger."

Angus growled. "I have more important things to do than bandy words
with you, oh knight! If you are going to stay in the Glen, then
you've just been recruited into our army. I need every paw for our
defense that I can. And yours are very capable or so I'm told."

Saulius's snout twitched at the injury to his pride, but he quelled
it with a noble bow. "My sword is thine."

James was fast upon Angus's paws and he greeted Charles with a
worried frown. "We weren't sure if you made it to Metamor on time."

"No," the rat replied. He'd shed more tears in talking with Jessica,
but he was not going to share any with the donkey. The time for
weeping had passed. "No, we did not. We'll be staying here until it is over."

The donkey looked aghast, with wide eyes and upraised ears. "But
Kimberly and the children!"

Charles cut him off with a swipe of his paw. "There's nothing I can
do! For them at least. I can help here and that's what both Kimberly
and Misha want me to do. So that's what I'm going to do."

The donkey had nothing more to say and meekly backed away as they
walked toward his home. Angus gave orders that he would see them both
in an hour's time to discuss their roles in the Glen's defense and
then returned to seeing to it. Saulius shook his head briefly, looked
to the donkey and asked, "And where hath the good Lord Avery gone?"

James, still with a stunned expression on his countenance, gestured
toward the far side of the Glen with one arm. "At Lars's place
discussing plans with the others I think. Word arrived late last
night and this place has been crazy ever since." He glanced at
Charles and after a few seconds of lip quivering, said, "I had hoped
you would have made it to Metamor."

Charles sighed. "I do too."

Baerle was there waiting for them when they reached Charles's home.
The opossum was dressed in scouting gear and looked to have been up
quite some time. Her cheeks were streaked with tears and she wept
anew at seeing the rat return. She didn't say anything, and neither
did Charles, but embraced almost as soon as they saw each other. They
held each other for several long moments while James watched, rolling
the bell distractedly about in his hands and flecking his lips.
Saulius took the reins from Charles's distracted paw and led the two
ponies toward the stables.

When rat and opossum parted the donkey was gone.

----------

James waved to Jurmas as he passed through the common room of the inn
and up the stairs. The mood was sombre and the only smiles that were
had were those of the women who'd come to see Jurmas's new daughters.
The donkey's hooves clopped heavily on the wooded stairs and down the
hall. He tried not to slam the door behind him but it still resounded
with a thunderous clap.

He pressed the brass bell to his head and took a long deep breath.
His chance. His hope. All gone now.

What a world of happiness their harmony foretells!

Through the balmy air of night

How they ring out their delight! -

He rang the bell and stilled the thoughts where they were. The image
of his friend Charles holding Baerle so close... it infuriated him in
a way he could not describe. Why did it upset him so much? Charles
was the one real friend he had in the world. He owed everything to him.

So why did he, for a single moment, hate him with a passionate gorge
he'd never felt for anything or anyone else? Shouldn't he feel pity
for his friend whose wife and children were trapped in a castle under
the threat of plague? He did. He did feel sorry for him. But...

James hunched over his bed for a moment, long tail whipping back and
forth. The resonance of the bell had faded at last and he let it drop
to his lumpy mattress. The clapper bounced dully off the inside of
the bell but no note sounded. He lifted his hand to his neck and ran
both fingers through his spiky mane and over the powerful equine
muscles. His stomach turned and twisted.

He could still see them holding each other. Why should that bother
him so? They were friends and she wanted to comfort him.

Yet the ear, it fully knows,

Yes, he had heard it in their voices, suspected it in the dark of
night when he lay in his bed listening to the rattle of his windows,
or even on their journey to Marzac when the rat muttered
indecipherable words in his sleep. He heard it in the way Baerle
spoke to the children, to Kimberly, and especially to Charles. And he
didn't hear it at all when she spoke to a poor donkey whom the rat
had shown pity on.

James ground his flat teeth together and stomped one hoof. If it was
one thing James was good at it was listening. The Curses had given
him very good ears; ears that were laughed at and seen as foolish.
But good ears. He had heard. And they knew.

What a horror they outpour

Indeed. James lowered his hand and stroked the edge of the bell,
noting its warm sheen and sonorous energy. Somehow, there would come
a time, a way, a means, for that note to be meant for him. Now was
not the time. Let Charles be comforted. A time would come soon enough.

He sat down on his bed, and eased the bell into his lap. He brought
the crack to his supple lips and kissed. "At least I have you," he
murmured gazing into his own distorted reflection.

Forevermore!

!DSPAM:4e7d42bf305901804284693!