[Mkguild] MK Story Bite Size part 1

christian okane chrisokane at optimum.net
Sun Apr 8 04:19:08 UTC 2012

Here is part one of my story. I have greatly changed it and added a whole
lot. Feel free to make comments!

Chris

The Lurking Fox

Bite Size

by Christian O'Kane

January 707

Shortly after the Winter Assault and right after the story Things Remain the
Same

   The biting cold of winter was only just starting to lessen so all of them
were glad to be in the warm, dry halls and rooms of Metamor Keep. At the
moment they were standing in one of the countless halls of this odd magical
castle. The hall was simply decorated, the floor was a fine, gray marble
heavily veined with lines of red, blue and green. Walls of the same material
were covered in places by banners and flags carrying the emblems of people
and groups long dead.

   Edmund stood at one end of the hall where the floor was raised several
steps above the rest of the room. Standing quietly in ranks and files were
the one hundred twenty men who followed his command. As a group they had
served Sir Edmund Delacot faithfully for many years. In his dedication to
the order of Protectors Edmund had gone all over the Midlands and they had
followed. A few like sir Terrant were also Brothers of the same order as Sir
Edmund. Others were lay brothers - members of the order who had not yet
taken full vows. Most were simply soldiers who had decided to follow the
paladin. But all had learned to trust the paladin led them. He never asked
them, to go anyplace he didn't go first. If they assaults a castle he was
the first one into the breach. And when they fought an ogre last year he
himself was the first to charge it.

   The paladin raised a hand and the group fell silent. "After much prayer
and contemplation I understand what the Great One wishes of me," the paladin
intoned solemnly. "My work lies here at Metamor Keep and the poor souls
trapped in the ruins north of here."

   A murmur ran through the assembled men but it died down when he held up
his hand.

   "I understand how difficult this is and the hardships it will entail.
This was not a decision I have made lightly. I am well aware of the curse
and the effects it will have on me and all who stay. So I can't order you to
stay here. Each of you must decide for yourself. In a day Sir Mursry leaves
for the south. He is a bold and devoted Follower who is doing the Great
One's work all over the Midlands. If you choose to depart he is a fine man
to follow."

   He paused to allow that information to sink in before continuing.
"Metamor is the place I am going to make my home. Cleansing the ruins of its
curse and freeing the spirits trapped there will take a long time. And times
here in Metamor and the Giantdowns are troubled. There will be much work for
all here." He smiled. "There is room here for us all to finally stop our
wanderings and make a home where we can raise a family and live in faith.
Importantly here we can really make a difference. But that decision is for
you to make. This choice is your own." Then he bowed his head for a moment.
"You have till tomorrow morning to decide but you can talk to me or Terrant
any time. Thank you and may the Great One guide you to the right path." With
that small prayer he stepped down and walked into the group.

************

   Two men broke off from the group and stood next to each other. There was
a silence as they tried to absorb what their leader had just said.

   "Well, that was shocking," one of them said. He was of middling height
but had the muscled body of a person used to exercise or heavy work. The
face was well tanned and possessed brown eyes and was topped by red hair cut
short. The sword dangling from his belt told of his occupation being a
soldier or perhaps a knight.

   "Indeed," the second added. He was of the same height but had shoulder
length blonde hair that framed a face set with gray eyes. "But not
unexpected. He's been talking about the curse all month." He had the
slightly bow legged walk of a person whose spent long hours in the saddle.

   "We've all been talking about it," Charles countered. "Are you going to
stay?".

   Anteius shrugged. "I'm not sure."

   "I've followed Sir Delacot all this way," Charles said. "I'll not stop
now."

   "The curse doesn't scare you?" Anteuis

   "Of course it does but like Sir Edmund says. There's a lot of good work
to be done at Metamor," Charles responded.

   "I am tired of wandering all over the Midlands. This is a good looking
place to settle down," Charles said with a nod of the head.

   "You've already decided?" Anteius asked, surprised.

   "I have," Charles said. "I've been pondering the idea of staying since we
first came here. And don't tell me you haven't considered it."

   Anteuis didn't speak but just smiled broadly.

**********************

   A week later Charles got a surprise when he woke up and discovered that
today was the first day of HER new life. The new woman stood there trying to
adjust to the fact that the beautiful woman in the mirror was herself. The
figure looking back at her was slimmer but still well muscled. One part of
him wondered if his breasts would interfere with using a sword or bow.

   After that an indeterminate period of time was spent trying to find a
shirt that would fit over her new breasts only to discover that all his
pants were now too big to fit properly. Finally she managed to get at least
decently dressed. A knock at the door was a welcome distraction.

   "Hello?" Came a voice from the other side. It sounded oddly familiar and
yet different. "This is Edmund Delacot."

   She smiled broadly and was relieved to have someone to talk to. She
hastily fastened the last few buttons on her shirt. "Sir Edmund. I'm glad
you're here. I've finally changed."

   "Everyone has changed," the paladin said as the door opened. "Including
me."

   Into the room stepped a Keeper with the tall, thin, spotted form of a
cheetah. The feline was wearing a tunic and pants that were at least two
sizes too big for him. The only trace of the old Edmund Delacot was a gold
Follower cross that hung from a chain around his neck.

   The new feline and the new woman were silent as the two examined each
other's new form bodies for a moment.

   "Ah," she stuttered. "Is that you Sir Edmund?"

   "It is. A little thinner and covered in spots but it's me,." the feline
responded with a nod of the head. He peered at the woman for a moment with
the intensity of a hunter. "Is that you Charles?"

   The woman scowled for a moment. "Call me Chantel. But my old name was
Charles."

   "The name fits you nicely," Edmund responded trying to sound reassuring.
"I'm glad you're in good health."

   "Thank you." the woman said. "Chantel is my mother's name. It seemed
appropriate."

   "How are you feeling?" Edmund asked as he stepped closer. He looked the
woman over carefully trying to gauge her state of mind.

   "I feel . . ." She paused for a moment trying to figure out what to say.
"Different." He face was neutral. Not showing any emotions.

   He gently paced as hand on the woman's shoulder. "Different good or
different bad?" Edmund asked in a soft tone.

   The woman shrugged. "I don't know yet. I wanted to be a lion or a
leopard."

   "You could have wound up as a banana slug," the paladin countered.

   The woman gave a slight smile. "True. Did you say everyone has changed?"
she asked changing the subject.

   "Oh yes," the feline answered, letting the topic be shifted to something
less personal. "It seems our whole group has changed at the same time. Have
you seen Anteius yet?" Edmund asked.

   "Not since I changed," she asked. "Have you? Has he changed?"

   The cheetah nodded energetically. "Oh yes indeed."

   She leaned close to the cheetah with a look eagerness on her face. "What
did he change into?"

   "A hyena," Edmund responded slowly. "A large hyena. Very large hyena."

************

   Even when she had been a man Chantel had been a tall person. The curse
had made her a woman but left her the same height. So when Anteius stood
before her in his feral form she had expected to be looking down at a
slightly larger hyena. Something about knee height and with a stocky build.
But she had misunderstood what Edmund meant by large. The massive creature
in front of her was a hyena but she found herself looking UP at Anteius' new
face.

   This hyena like creature stood 5 feet tall at the shoulder and the head
and neck towered another foot above that. It was almost ten feet long and
weighed over half a ton. It's lips pulled back in a deep, guttural snarl
revealing jaws filled with an impressive array of large, sharp teeth.
Looking into his muzzle felt like looking into a tunnel lined with daggers.

   She had to resist the urge to run and took several steps backward without
realizing it. "Great Maker. You're not big, you are HUGE!" Chantel
stuttered.

   Slowly the woman walked around her massive companion trying to take in
the sheer size. Gingerly Chantel touched the flank. The fur was tough and
wiry. Underneath the surprisingly soft skin she could feel a body of solid
muscle. "You're not bigger then a horse," the woman joked. "You're bigger
than two horses! You must weigh at least half a ton."

   "One thousand, three hundred and forty three pounds," the massive hyena
commented. "I had myself weighed."

   Looking into the hyenas mouth she saw a set of very large and very sharp
teeth. "No wonder Samson won't come near you. These jaws could rip him up in
moments. you're new body is one hundred percent carnivore through and
through."

   "So I've noticed," Anteius commented dryly.

   "What are you exactly? You look like some sort of hyena but I've never
seen one like this," She asked.

   He shook his massive head back and forth. "Neither have I. No one I know
has."

   "Could it be a mythological creature?" Chantel asked.

   "No," Edmund said calmly. "The curse only uses real species, not
imaginary ones."

   "This animal is like some evil wizards creation," the woman said. "Or
something from a nightmare."

   "I have seen some very strange creatures here at Metamor but all are
real," the paladin commented. "Misha told me of a scholar who comes here
often just to study all the unusual species the curse changes people into.
Perhaps he can indentify your new species."

   "Good idea," Anteius responded. "It is unnerving not knowing what I am
now."

   Chantel placed a hand on Anteius' shoulder. "Riding a horse is not
possible anymore," the woman said calmly. "You're a carnivore and no horse
will come within twenty yards of you."

   "We can train a horse to accept a carnivore," Anteius commented as he
shifted back to his more human like form. "It will take a long time to do
it."

   Chantel shook her head slowly. "Even in your two legged form you are
massive." She stepped closer to the knight. The top of her head barely
reached his chest. "Riding your old horse is not possible. You weigh as much
as he does."

   "At least you'll need to get a larger animal," Edmund added as he looked
at the hyena's massive form.

   The woman looked up at Anteius. "A lot larger."

   "Is there a horse large enough?" the hyena asked.

   "I know of at least one breed of horse capable but I don't know if any
are available here," the paladin answered. "I will find out for you. But, I
just had another idea," he fell silent.

   "What idea?" Chantel asked as all eyes turned to the cheetah paladin.

   "Well," Edmund stuttered and looked down to the ground. "In your feral
form you are as large as a horse."

   "Do you mean that instead of being the rider I be the ridden," Anteius
responded surprised. "Let myself be ridden like a common animal."

   Edmund straightened up and stared the hyena straight in the face. "You
are anything but common! And I already have heard of a unit of cavalry here
where both rider and mount are Keepers."

   "Being ridden seems," the hyena stuttered for a moment as he looked for
the right words. "Obscene."

   "Well, I'll admit it sounds kinky," Chantel responded with a smile. "But
why even bother with a rider? Between your feral form and this human like
one you combine the best of cavalry and infantry all in one."

   "A very good point," Edmund commented as he nodded his head. "But
eventually we'll need to consider that at some point you'll need to carry a
person. If only in an emergency. But that is a thought for the future. For
now we all need to adapt to our new bodies and their capabilities. And that
means training and more training."

************

   It was a month before the expert would arrive. In that time they all
filled their days with training. Most of Edmunds people had chosen to stay
with him but many had chosen to go with Sir Mursry. But to compensate some
of Mursry's people had decided to stay as well. In the end Edmund found
himself with the same number of people as before. But this did not make
things easier. The new people had to be checked and their abilities judged.
Then they needed to be worked into the group as a whole. It took a long time
and a lot of practice and training to turn a stranger into a fellow warrior.
This was not made easier by the fact that EVERYONE had changed and no one
really knew what they were capable of anymore. Thankfully Misha and George
had some veteran Keepers to help.

   Chantel had to get used to a form that was smaller and not as strong but
one a lot more nimble. But for her it was simply adapting to a few changes.
For Anteius it was harder. In addition to adapting to his newer, much larger
human like form he had an entirely new body to learn how to use - his feral
one. It was hard adapting to fighting without using a sword and shield but
his massive body did have some very serious advantages and disadvantages.

************

   "Alwyn," Anteius said slowly. "You don't have to stand so far away. I
won't bite."

   "I'm fine here," Alwyn responded. Before the curse had changed him Alwyn
had been a tall, brown haired knight famous for his riding abilities. Now he
was even taller. He was also a dabbled, gray stallion with the long legs and
graceful lines of one of the southern breeds. At the present Anteius was
standing on one side of a corral along with Chantel, Edmund and Terrant.
Alwyn stood on the other side of the corral with 20 feet between him and the
hyena morph. Also at that end of the corral was the seven (regular) horses
including Anteius own.

   "Alwyn," Terrant said in a calm but firm tone. "Come over here."

   The stallion Keeper took one hesitant step and then he shivered, shook
his head and neighed nervously. "Sir, " he stuttered. "Ah, Mame. I can't.
I'm afraid. Just the thought of being close to those killing jaws terrifies
me."

   Anteius muttered several curses and shook his massive head. "I can'tget a
horse near me even when he's a fellow knight."

   Terrant let out a deep sigh. "This is going to take time."

   "A lot of time," Chantel added.

   "So you're afraid of predators," Edmund said. "So what. My sister is
afraid of heights and she struggles with that every time goes even two
stories above ground."

   "You have to understand that you have replaced your human instincts with
animal ones," Terrant said. "You have to get used to that. But also remember
that you are still yourself. Your soul is still the same."

   Alwyn took a deep breath. "I am a knight not an animal," he said is a
firm tone. The knight slowly lifted his right leg but then froze at that
point with his leg and hoof dangling in mid air. "I . . AM . .  A  . .
KNIGHT!" The equine knight said forcefully. He planted his right leg down
with a resounding thump.

   "Anteius is my friend," Alwyn said in an angry tone and took another step
forward. Slowly the stallion made his way forward. His steps were sometimes
slow and measured and often hesitant but he never stopped moving forward.
The others waited patiently and Anteius did move but remained as still as
stone. The only sign of movement was his flanks moving in and out with each
breath.

   Finally the stallion stopped less than an arm's length from the hyena. He
was shaking like a leaf and breathing heavily like he had just finished a
long race. Slowly, tentatively he reached out with a shaky, gloved hand. It
moved forward with an almost glacial slowness. When it was a hand's width
from Anteius it paused for a moment. Then it moved forward again and touched
the hyena morph on the shoulder.

   "See," Terrant said. "You control the animal not the other way round but
never forget that the animal is always there."

   "It always has been," Edmund commented. "Even without the curse we are
all still flesh and blood. We've all met people who never think beyond the
base instincts to pleasure themselves. Alwyn, Anteius, Chantel you were all
with me when we tracked down and brought justice to Lendrus the slayer. You
saw what he did to those people. Those women." The paladin bared his new
feline teeth in anger and disgust. "Can you really say that Lendrus was
human? No he was an animal who only lived to satisfy his base instincts and
desires."

   "You aren't the only knight one who became a predator. It will take time
to get the horses used to being around predators like you and me," Edmund
said. "Until then we will have to concentrate on foot combat."

   Alwyn gave a short neigh of laughter as he looked down at Anteius. "I'm
taller then you are," he announced with a some forced humor. "And if you
make a hung like a horse joke you'll get a hoof to the face."

End part 1

!DSPAM:4f8111cf297371804284693!