[Mkguild] Bite Size part 2

christian okane chrisokane at optimum.net
Sun Apr 8 19:50:13 UTC 2012

   "Let's see just how powerful those jaws of yours really are," Edmund said
firmly. The paladin, Anteius and Chantel were all standing in one of the
training fields that surrounded the Lower Keep. The snow had started to melt
turning much of the ground to mud. They were grateful that portions had been
paved at some point in the past. The massive paving stones had been swept
clean of snow and ice. There Edmund was drilling his troops most of whom
were still a little awkward in their new bodies.

   Behind Edmund was a wooden beam resting horizontally on two wooden
blocks. Propped up against one of the blocks was a large kite shaped shield.

   Edmund and Chantel each took one side of the shield and held it up at
arm's length. "Now bite down hard in the shield," the cheetah morph ordered.

   "Why?" Anteius asked as he examined the shield. "It's oak two inches
thick and rimming with iron."

   "So?" Edmund countered. "You weigh half a ton. A little ten pound shield
is no trouble. Now bite down."

   The massive hyena stepped forward and gently lowered his jaws over the
top edge of the shield. Slowly he closed his jaws till his teeth were
against the hard wood and metal.

   "Bite," Edmund said simply. "BITE HARD!" The paladin shouted loudly right
into Anteius' ear. Startled, he bite down with all his might.

   CRUNCH!!

   Anteius powerful jaws went completely through tough material with
surprising ease. He moved back a few steps and spit out the splintered
remnants. Edmund and Chantel were each hold a separate piece of what was
left of the shield. He had bitten completely through the oak planking with
ease. "Wow."

   Chantel examined the piece she was holding. The edges looked like they
had been sliced through cleanly with an axe. "That's impressive!"

   Edmund examined the piece of the shattered shield he was holding.
"There's no armor thick enough to withstand this type of power. I bet the
jaws in your human like form will be powerful too."

   "Who needs a sword or a mace," Anteius muttered.

   The paladin tossed the piece he was holding onto the ground. "Indeed. Now
let's really test those jaws." He pointed to timber resting on the blocks
behind them.

   Anteius walked up to the long piece of wood and got a good look at it.
What had at first seemed to be just a log was in fact a squared off beam at
least four inches thick. It had been finely cut and carefully smoothed. It
was dark with age but he noticed places of charring that told of it being in
a great fire. He realized this was a roof or wall beam taken from the ruins
of some destroyed home. Probably destroyed in the recent Yuletide attack. He
picked a spot on the wood that seemed smooth. He put his jaws around the
beam placing his front incisors into the middle.

   "No," Chantel ordered harshly. "Shift the wood to the back of your jaw.
That's where you're powerful, crushing teeth are."

   Edmund turned to the woman. "How do you know that?"

   "Haven't you ever watched a dog or wolf eat?" She responded. "When they
are working on a bone they use their back teeth."

   Edmund shook his head. "My family used hunting cats," the feline
responded and gave a chirp of laughter. "Including cheetahs and lynx."

   "That's ironic!" the woman said. "Do you think it had an effect on what
the curse chose?"

   The paladin shrugged. "Who can say? No one is sure of exactly how the
curse works. The mages have all sorts theories but no answers."

   The woman laughed loudly. "They never do. They're full of questions and
even if they do give you an answer no one can understand it."

   "Try it now," Edmund ordered and pointed to the beam. "We can find out
how strong you are without some wizard confusing things."

   "Now use your back teeth. Those are the ones a dog or wolf uses to crush
bones so use yours," Chantel ordered.

   The hyena shook his massive head side to side. "But I'm not a dog or a
wolf."

   "You're a hyena," the woman shrugged. "That's close enough. Now bite!"
She patted the peice of wood with one hand.

   Anteius wrapped his jaws around the timber and ran his tongue over the
smooth surface. He could taste the wood, that odd tangy flavor. He pushed
his jaws further over the beam till the wood  was pressed against the back
of his mouth and could go no further. The hyena drew his jaws together until
he felt his teeth start to push into the wood. The crunching of wood came to
his ears as the hyena knight felt the material slowly give way. The cracking
grew louder as his jaws  continued to crush and slice their way through the
tough oak timbers. As he got into the heart of the wood it grew harder and
he had strain harder and harder. Suddenly there was a loud CRACK and his
jaws snapped shut.

   Surprised Anteius pulled his head back and spit the wood out of his
mouth. The beam in front of him tumbled to the ground in two pieces.

   "Great Maker!" Chantel whispered, a look of surprise and fear on her
face.

********

   It was early morning when Anteius and Chantel found themselves waiting in
a small hall along with Edmund.

   "Why are we here sir?" Anteius asked as he looked around. The room was
fairly large but sparsely decorated. Only a tapestries broke the monotony of
the stone walls and floors.

   "Our expert has finally arrived!" Edmund chirped happily. There was a
happy twinkle in his eyes and his tail was whipping back and forth.

   Chantel smiled broadly and clapped her hands."Finally!"

   "I was beginning to think he wasn't coming," the hyena morph commented.

  "The scholar is coming all the way from Silvassa," the paladin responded.
"So he can only come here twice a year."

  Chantel shook her head. "The man came from Silvassa?" She exclaimed. "I'm
surprised he came here at all!"

   "Misha is bringing him here now," the paladin explained. "They only just
arrived."

   The hyena cocked his head to one side. "They?"

   Before Edmund could answer a door behind him opened and Misha walked in.
There were several fox morphs at Metamor but the missing ear and scar on his
muzzle made him easily recognizable.

   Anteius had imagined the scholar to be some gray haired old man who was
traveling alone except for a young apprentice. Instead a dozen people
followed behind the fox scout. It seems the professor not only came but he
brought his entire staff too.

      Misha pointed to the gentleman at the head of the group. "This is
Decius Pulini. Scholar of the University of Silvassa. Holder of the order of
the Blue Star and an esteemed member of the university council. He's been
good enough to bring along his senior students and staff to help."

   Decius was wearing a long, flowing robe of dark brown edged with gold and
silver. His blonde hair was cut short and framed a face that was bright. His
eyes alert and seemed to take in all the aspects of everyone present.

   Anteius bowed to the new arrivals. "It's an honor to meet you sir. You
study unusual Keepers like me?"

   Decius returned the bow with one of his own. "My true area of study is
rare, ancient, mostly extinct animal life," the scholar said excitedly.

   Chantel bowed to the new arrival. Protocol called for a woman to curtsy
but some elements of being a woman she refused to give in to. "Is it true
you've traveled here from Silvassa?"

   The man smiled and returned her bow courteously. "Oh yes! It's not a
difficult voyage. We took a ship to Menth and from there a caravan to the
Keep. And it is well worth all the fuss and bother of the journey. The curse
here at Metamor has been a great boon to me. I've been able to see in the
flesh creatures I've only seen as bones or as badly drawn pictures. Instead
of just seeing a handful of bones I can see a full, living creature. It's
been a priceless gift. In the last six years I've indentified 173 new
species," he said cheerfully. "And completed 145 other we've had only
partial information about."

   "I'm glad that such good has come from the curse," Edmund said.

   "We're hoping to mount a full expedition here later this year," Decius
commented. "To do a more in depth study."

   "Aren't you worried about the curse?" Chantel asked. "Everyone else seems
to be."

   "I'm aware of the curse," the scholar answered as he walked up to
Anteius. "I am also aware of its limitations. All problems can be resolved
or dealt with if you understand it. And what we are learning here is well
worth the risk."

    "It's a risk but a calculated one," The cheetah added.

   "Yes. If you do not mind sir we'll begin our examination," Decius said.
"With the time limit of the curse we do have to move fast."

   Edmund nodded. He turned his head to where Anteius was standing. "Of
course. Is it all right with you?"

   His massive hyena head bobbed. "I can understand the need for haste."

   "You want to study animal species," Chantel commented. "And not be one."

   The scholar slowly nodded. "Yes. Still appearing at this year's symposium
as a Elephant would make quite a commotion."

   That got a round of laughter from everyone.

   "All right," Decius said in the tones of a leader. "You all know you
assigned tasks. "Let's get to them."

   "Please hold still sir Anteius," he said to the large hyena. "This will
take some time. We will be most thorough in our examine but we'll try and be
discrete and polite."

   The students spread out in a circle around Anteius. Some started drawing
sketches. Two others took out tape measures and started measuring various
parts of his body. They call out the results to other students who
studiously wrote them down.eturns and

   "So," Anteius asked slowly. "What am I? What species?"

   "I have no idea," the scholar explained without stopping his examination
of Anteius' right front leg. "But it's obviously some sort of hyena."

   "I've traveled to many places," the woman commented. "But I've never seen
any hyena like this."

   Decius left the front leg alone and stood up straight. "I'd be surprised
if you had. The species has probably been extinct for millennia."

   The hyena pulled its head back in surprise causing the whole group to
stop for a moment. Several stepped back. "Extinct? What happened to them?"

   Decius shrugged and gace a wave of the hand to get everyone back to their
tasks. "No one knows. There are many species that once existed but have
vanished leaving only bones and questions. They are believed to have lived
about the same time as the Giant wolf and the Saber cat."

   "What's a Sabercat?" Edmund asked.

   "It is a large, stocky feline with large, front teeth that protrude
downward," the scholar explained and placed his hands to his mouth in
imitation of the teeth.  "The incisors could be up to a foot long."

   "I've heard stories of a creature," Misha said slowly. "Legends really.
The Lutins speak of a large cat with teeth as long as a sword blade. They
call it a Ghost Cat."

   The scholar stared at Misha intently. "You never mentioned this before."

   "You never mentioned the Sabercat before," the fox countered. "And I've
only just recently heard the tales about it."

   "Giant wolves have survived," Edmund commented slowly. "Why not Saber
cats as well?"

   Excellent point," Decius responded. "But seeing as the only place they
might be is the Giantdowns there is no chance of looking for one."

   "At least for the near future," Misha commented. "The Giantdowns is huge.
Larger than the rest of the continent combined. There is no telling what
wonders await us there."

  "Someday we will explore it," Decius said firmly. "We can wait another
century or two.""

   "Only a century or two?" Edmund said with a chirp of laughter.

   "These animals have waited 15,000 years to be discovered," the scholar
explained. "What's another century or two?"

   The fox scout gave a quizzical look to the scholar. "You scholars always
think in such long terms?"

   "You think 200 years is a long time?" Decius asked with a smile. "The
oldest sample I have in my collection is the jawbone of some reptile. It's
four feet long and 3.4 million years old."

   "3.4 MILLION years?" Anteuis asked amazed. "I didn't think creation was
that old."

   "No wonder a century or 2 doesn't bother you. It does feel like nothing
compared to 3 million years," the feline commented.

   "I've tested the bone myself several times and the spells confirmed the
age. So many species have come and gone over the years leaving no trace
except for a few scattered bones," Decius said with a shake of the head. "So
sad. Some have even theorized that at one time there were only reptiles on
the planet. No mammals at all."

   "Do you believe it?" Edmund asked.

   Decius shrugged. "It seems very unusual but as proof there are the Tened.
An entirely reptilian race. We know they did exist. There are the ruins of
Tened construction as proof."

   Decius looked at Anteius. "You're a knight are you not? Misha mentioned
that."

   "I am sir," the hyena knight responded. "I've been riding almost since
before I could walk. We have been acclimatizing some of the horses to my
presence but my sheer size is a problem."

   "The only horse breed I know large enough to bear your form would be the
Haltstier," the scholar commented. "And I have not seen any outside of
Sathmore and Pyralis."

   "There are none here," Edmund explained. "Few in the Northern Midlands
and none at all in Metamor. Duke Thomas has little heavy cavalry."

   "That's not surprising," Misha added. "All the fighting here is with
raiders and ambushes. Speed and maneuverability are the order of the day. So
if you want to be in the cavalry it won't be while riding something. At
least until we can import some from the south."

   "I will NOT wear a saddle," Anteius snarled as he waved his head back and
forth. "I am not some mindless riding animal!"

   Edmund patted the hyena on the back. "Never fear. We will not force
anything on you Anteius. You can still be in the cavalry. Just without a
rider. You can move in full form and then shift to your human like one when
needed. You'll have the best of being both cavalry and infantry."

   "What about my weapons, armor and clothing?" Anteius asked. "I cannot
just carry them in my mouth."

   "What about a simple harness?" Decius asked. "While in your morph form it
could be a harness on your chest and shoulders. When you go full form it
would hold your weapons. And if need be you can carry someone who can use
the straps to hold on. Or if they're too wounded they can be tied to the
straps till you get them to safety."

  "How am I supposed to adjust such straps if I have no hands after I
change?" the hyena asked.

   "The Keepers have perfected a form of magic armor and clothing that
changes to fit whatever form the wearer has," the scholar explained. "So
when you change from morph to full animal shapes the armor changes too."

   "I like that idea," Anteius said slowly. "This form is powerful but I'd
feel better with good, solid armor on too."

   "I can find you some armor to fit," Misha said. "But it will take some
time. We don't have many as big as you. I'll talk to the armorer. DeMule
must have a set that fits you somewhere."

   "You have armor large enough to fit this?" Anteius patted his chest with
one paw.

   "Metamor's armories seem to have everything. If you know where to look,"
Misha replied. "I actually saw barding for an elephant once."

   "Armor for an elephant?" Decious asked with a surprised look on his face.
"Here?"

   "Oh yes," the fox said. "I've no idea how it got here. No one does."

   The scholar laughed. "No matter how often I come Metamor always surprises
me."

   Misha gave a yip of laughter as his tail flipped back and forth. "I've
lived here for over eight years and Metamor still surprises me every day."

   The group around the hyena slowly filtered over to Decius and each handed
the scholar several pages of papers or parchment. Decius waited till the
last person had given him the last page of notes. He turned to Anteius who
was still waiting patiently in his full feral form. "Thank you Anteius.
We're done with the full animal form of the examination. Can you please
resume your anthropomorphic form."

   Edmund titled his head to one side in curiosity. "I thought you were only
interested in the wild animals."

   "I am but several scholars back at the university are studying the
effects of the curse," the man answered. "And all the information we can
gather is helpful. We especially want to compare the difference between your
feral form and your morph form."

   The massive hyena reared up on its hind legs and balanced there for a
moment swaying back and forth a little. Then his torso shifted and he stood
up straight as the paws on the front legs changed into proper hands. In
moments Anteius was in his most human like form and totally naked.

   One of Decius's students, a young woman with long, red hair looked at
Anteius and smiled at the sight of his nude form. Then she turned red with
embarrassment when she saw that the hyena morph had noticed her gaze.

   Anteius quickly stepped across the room to where a pile of clothing
rested in a neat pile. His large hands rummages through the pile before
pulling out a small pair of briefs. Hastily he pulled them on and buttoned
it closed. He secured a belt around his waist and gave a look to be sure the
private parts were covered. "So you've never seen a hyena like me?"

   Decius didn't look up from the large sheaf of notes in his hands but kept
on reading. "No! It's completely unknown. It doesn't even have a name yet."

   "Since it has no name yet do we get to name it?" Edmund asked as his tail
whipped back and forth.

   Decius still didn't look up from his papers but he did nod energetically
in response. "Oh yes! By right of first discovery."

   "So what do we call it?" Terrant asked. "What do we call this new breed
of hyena?"

   "What name do you give to a gigantic hyena?" Misha asked.

   "What about Kyodai Tatagami Inu," came the suggestion from Edmund.

   Decius finally looked up from his papers and smiled. "That's an
impressive sounding name. What does it mean?"

   "Gigantic hyena in an eastern language," the paladin responded simply.

The End

!DSPAM:4f81ec0833261804284693!