[Mkguild] MK Story Past Present and Future part 9

christian okane chrisokane at optimum.net
Wed Jan 4 18:08:46 UTC 2012

Here is part 9.

Just to let you know I made a mistake with part 6. I labeled it part 8 on
the subject line but identified it correctly as part 6 in the email itself.
Sorry for the confusion.

Chris
The Lurking Fox

   A walk down the corridor brought them to an intersection with corridors
branching off in several directions.

   Madog stepped out in front and stood in front of one of the corridors.
"Papa go this way!" He announced. Behind them the corridor went for only a
few feet and ended a wall rock and stone.

   "Why do we have to go this way?" Misha asked, with his eyes still on the
metal fox.

   "There might be a way around," Rickkter said. "I see a corridor . . ."

   "NO!" Madog snarled in a powerful voice. "What Papa need there." He
pointed to the opening with his tail.

   Misha slowly nodded his head. "I see. "

    "What you want is not what you need," Madog announced cryptically. "What
you need is not what you want."

    "Can't he say anything openly and easily?" Caroline asked, exasperated.
"Just once?"

   "Of course not!" Rickkter responded. "That would make it too easy."

   Charles walked up to the wall of debris and peered at it. He ran his
hands lightly across the stones. After a moment he stepped back. "Each stone
was carried and carefully placed by what must be an automaton. Then the
smaller open areas was filled with dirt and smaller stones."

   Misha walked up to the wall of rock and examined it. There were massive
stones intermixed with smaller ones of various sizes. "If this was done
deliberately it was done with great care and skill."

   "It was done to protect something very valuable," Rickkter said.

   Misha noted a place where the stones had been carefully arranged to form
a small gap that led into deep into the rock. The scout peered into the
tunnel but all he saw was darkness. "This could lead through to the end."

   The fox climbed up onto the debris and climbed into the small tunnel and
moved a short way down till only his legs and tail were visible. Then he
started moving backward. Misha dropped back into the room. He was covered
with dirt from nose to tail. "The tunnel is way too small. I can fit in but
I can't move," He explained.

   "Papa use these!" Madog said cheerfully. In the automatons mouth was
small leather case.

   Misha took the leather case and noticed that it was elaborately decorated
with gold and silver. Also he could detect at least one spell protecting the
items. Slowly he opened it revealing a set of small tools all as finely
decorated as the case they were in. "Madog," he started slowly., "Where did
you get these?"

   "Borrowed them."

   "Who did you steal that from?" Misha insisted.

   "Borrowed!"

   "Who did you steal these from?" He asked again.

   "Borrowed!" Madog answered simply. "He not need them. You do,"

   The fox sighed realizing that was all he was going to get from Madog at
the moment. "You will get them back to their rightful owner when I'm done."

   "Yes Papa."

   Rickkter walked up to the opening and peered inside. "A small animal can
fit. If you go full morph and carry the implements in your mouth. Shift back
at the end and you'll be able to use them then but you won't be able to move
at the same time."

   "You make it sound so easy, Rick. Now if I can just pull this off without
panicking or suffocating."

   "Nothing worth doing is ever easy," Charles said softly.

  "This is quite an obstacle," Rickkter said and ran his fingers along the
dimensions of the tunnel opening, "I'll do it," The raccoon said solemnly.

   "No." Misha briskly dismissed with a shake of his head.

   "Come now, I believe I'm equipped for this."

   "No, Rick." Misha answered with a glare.

   Rickkter snarled, "I would like to."

  "No, Rick, you can't go and you know why." Misha answered coldly.

   The raccoon bared his fangs at the fox, Misha responded in kind.

   "My teeth are bigger than yours Rickkter," Misha commented. "But I need
to do this myself."

   "Why?" The raccoon asked simply.

   "Because I have to. Because I am the inheritor of this place," Misha said
and waved his arm in a broad gesture. "I have to take up where they left
off."

   Rickkter slowly nodded his head. "I can understand that."

   The fox disrobed and shrunk down to his smaller form. Caroline placed a
featureless stone in the leather case and tied a cord to it, tying the other
end loosely to Misha's torso. Misha leaped and scurried into the opening and
his tail quickly disappeared into the darkness.

   They could hear signs of obvious difficulty which gradually grew faint.

   "What's all that commotion? I thought foxes were little." Rickkter
shouted down the tunnel.

   Misha snarled and made what could only be described as angry-fox-noises
which made everyone chuckle.

   The vulpine crawled in complete darkness for who knows how long or how
far. He couldn't even be sure he was making any progress. He felt more and
more disoriented and panic slowly began to set in, then, with a yelp, he
stopped.

   The little fox could move no further, he backed up slightly and set to
finding the cord tied around his torso and took it in his muzzle, doing his
best to pull the leather case to his front. When he ran out of cord and
discovered the case at the end he grew large once more, immediately becoming
stuck.

   Claustrophobia quickly consumed him but he tried not to panic and set
himself to looking for the stone Caroline placed in the leather case. Misha
soon found the stone and activated it, bathing the entire square foot of
space before him in a warm glow.

   "Hmm" Misha pondered as he looked at the stone wall directly in front. He
brushed his fingers along it and found it had been indented in the shape of
a diamond.

   "I found something!" The fox shouted excitedly.

   "What is it?" Caroline called back, faintly being heard down the tunnel.

   "A wall! With markings! What should I do?" He shouted.

   "Silly!" A new voice said, "Papa knock down!"

   Misha shrugged, reaching into the leather case and took out the largest
tool, which happened to be the most elaborately decorated, and began to hack
away at the stone like a pick axe to ice. The indentations provided a good
starting point and he eventually made a small hole, about half the size of
the thin, stone wall.

   Beyond the wall he found more tunnel, but fortunately something else
there in the darkness. Reflecting off the light of the stone a small and
complex looking metal object rested. It had arms, legs and a head with two
small eyes that were staring back at him.

   Misha held up the tool like a weapon and pointed it at the metallic
creature but it did not stir. He then moved his hands in a series of smooth
flowing, complex gestures while speaking words in a whisper and then poked
it but still nothing. He gently lifted up the automation and inspected it,
discovering a winding key in the back. He timidly gave it several turns and
placed it down where it immediately sprang to life!

   "If-you'll-be-so-kind..." The little automation said,
"to-tell-me-why...you-roused-me-from-my-slumber."

   Misha stared silently for a moment, the creature's glowing eyes staring
back at him. "I found someone."

   "Something or someone?" Rickkter called back.

   "Both," the fox responded. "I think."

   "What?" Caroline asked.

   "Pull me out!" He ordered. "And I'll explain."

   "Are you stuck?" Caroline asked.

   "No," came the reply. "But with my hands full I can't maneuver well."

   "He's stuck," Rickkter said calmly.

   Rickkter took hold of one leg and Charles the other. Together they pulled
their vulpine friend out of the small tunnel.

   Caroline looked at the small figure in Misha's hands. What or who is
that?"

   "Kralaru ningtu ontira?" The small metal figure asked as it looked at the
people clustered around it.

   "What did he say?" Caroline asked.

   "I'm not sure," Misha answered. "My grasp of old Seuil is limited but I
think he asked who we are."

   "That is what he asked," Rickkter said. "Alu ningti Rickkter." He pointed
the Misha then Caroline, then Charles. "Alu ningti Misha, Caroline,
Charles."

   The little figure bowed to each person one at a time. " Alu ningti
Dirutivo."

   "It's a pleasure to meet you Dirutivo," Misha said in a cheerful tone.

   He looked at Misha for a moment."Alu Dutu Inlu."

   "That translates as I am the knower," Rickkter said slowly.

   "I not know where it is," Madog said cheerfully. "But he does."

   "He knows where what is?" Misha asked.

   "If you don't know what it is then he won't tell you where it is," Madog
commented.

   "What is it you know?" Caroline asked. "What do you know the location
of?"

   "I know where the great flutter is," the little automaton responded.

   "A flutter?" Misha asked with a tilt of his head.

   "All the butterflies sit patiently there awaiting the day when they can
be found. Then they can open their wings and fly! Spreading the light to
those worthy of it."

   "Butterflies?" Rickkter asked. "We're not after butterflies."

   "I alone know where the equilim amphori rests," the small metal man said.

   "Equilim?" Charles asked. "What does that mean?"

   All eyes turned to Rickkter but even the mage looked puzzled.

   Misha reached into a pocket and pulled out a small book. He opened the
little tome and began leafing through the pages. "Equilim, equilim,
equilim," he said with each turn of the page.

   Rickkter leaned over Misha's shoulder for a moment. "A Seuilman to common
dictionary? You always carry one with you?"

   "Of course!" Misha responded without looking up. "How do you think I keep
up with Madog?"

   "He's taken to quoting obscene Seuilman poetry lately," Caroline said.
"And we have to be careful lest some of the children pick up the wrong
words."

   "Equilim amphori," Misha said. "A room for storing amphora."

   "What's an amphora?" Charles asked.

   "A large ceramic jar," Misha explained. "About two or three feet tall.
They were used by the empire to carry goods and cargo like wine, olive oil
and grain. They're still used along the southern coast but mostly they've
been replaced by wooden barrels."

   "How did you know that?" Rickkter asked.

   Misha didn't speak but simply pointed to his little book.

   "He's not actually talking about butterflies and amphora," Charles said.
"That's a euphemism for something else."

   "Agreed," Rickkter added. "But what? How are butterflies related to old
pottery jars?"

   "Can't he speak more plainly?" Charles asked.

   "Of course not! that would make it too easy!" Caroline responded.

   "I don't think he can speak clearly," Misha said. "Remember. He was made
by the Amber order mages. The world's most paranoid and xenophobic people."

   Caroline slowly nodded her head. "I see! Part of the test to see if we're
worthy is we have to figure out what it is he is talking about."

   "Amphora were used for carrying and storing things," Charles said slowly.
"Equilim amphori is a room for storing amphora."

   "He also said he knew where the great flutter is," Misha said slow. "I
assume a flutter is a large group of butterflies."

   "An Equilim amphori is a group of amphora and a flutter is a group of
butterflies," Caroline said. "So he knows of a place with lots of something
stored. Something important."

   "Silly fox already know what it is," Madog commented happily.

   "It's the library!" Misha exclaimed. "The amphora are books and scrolls.
The butterflies are the knowledge contained in them. To fly a butterfly must
open its wings and to read a book or scroll you have to open them first!"

   "That fits perfectly!"Rickkter exclaimed. "Which is why it can't be
right."

   The fox turned to the small automaton. "The library?" Misha asked, trying
to not sound too excited. "It's the library!" He said firmly.

   "Long have I waited for the deserving one to come," the small metal man
said. "And finally you have!"

   "It is the library!" Misha said excitedly. His tail wagging back and
forth at high speed. "Finally!"

   "Where is it, where is the library?" Rickkter asked in old Seuil.

   "Inside." The automation answered.

   "Inside here?" Rick asked, surprised.

   "Outside."

   "Outside? Inside, outside?!" The raccoon asked.

   "Down."

   "Down?" Rick sighed and shook his head.

   "Up!" The small automaton announced firmly.

   "Down, then up?!" Misha asked, confused.

   "Down and down and up and down."

   The raccoon unsheathed his sword and pointed it at the automation, "Start
making sense, damn it!" He ordered.

   "Silly Raccoon can't answer questions!" Madog laughed and stepped between
Rickkter and the little metal man.

   Misha sighed and laid a hand gently on Rickkter's shoulder. "Rick, just
relax, go get some tea."

   Rickkter scowled at the fox, "I'm sure they would like to poison me," he
spat.

   "The food and drink here are safe, we've established that." Caroline
countered.

   "I mean poison me with their insanity!" He snarled, glaring at the two
automatons.

   "You just need to be more specific in your questions," Charles explained.
The rat looked to the little automaton. "Is the library inside this fortress
or outside?"

   "Outside," Dirutivo replied.

   "Is it in the valley or outside?" Misha asked slowly.

   "Outside!"

   "That narrows the location down to the rest of the world," Rickkter said
sarcastically. "Point in the right direction," he ordered.

   The little figure turned and pointed to the north and slightly downward.

   "The Giantdowns," Misha said simply.