[Mkguild] Heading to All Tomorrows (2/6)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Sat Jul 14 20:50:09 UTC 2012

Here's the second part.

---------

Metamor Keep:  Heading to All Tomorrows
by Charles Matthias

As he planned, Andares-es-sebashou journeyed to
the Lothanasi temple in the inner district the
next morning. Dawn rose with a warm orange
blossom on the east that never quite managed to
turn red. Clouds drifted eastward through the
sky, cauliflowers and dandelions of white that
thickened the further west they went. Though they
promised a coming gloom, the first rays of the
sun glistened in the dew that coated all of the
walls, the streets, and the banners, making the
proud Fennasi falcon seem to shimmer as if he
were flapping his wings. For one brief moment,
Andares almost thought he'd wandered into a dream instead of another dawn.

The streets were not empty, but so early, only
the most industrious were out preparing for the
new day that had just arrived. Soldiers still
watched over the street, and they observed
Andares with a respectful and dutiful curious
stare. With his cowl up and his hands hidden with
his voluminous gray sleeves, he could hardly
blame them for taking an interest in him. He was
a stranger in a city adjusting to many changes
and with many enemies opposed to those changes.

Despite their scrutiny, they seemed to sense he
meant none of Bozojo's citizens any harm. Those
guards standing watch over the gates into the
innermost ring of the city parted when they
glimpsed him. Two of the twelve struck their
breasts lightly with their fists as he passed,
eyes solemn as if they sensed some of his Åelvish grace.

The innermost bailey was built into an incline,
which would force any attacker to contend against
a superior position. Vats of boiling oil could
easily render the ramp slick and impossible to
climb, not to mention sizzling hot. Beyond
arrayed a wide courtyard with the Lothanasi
temple to the right facing the eastern wall. At
the rear of the courtyard stood the squat castle
atop whose towards snapped the piscine flag
beneath the grasping talons of the falcon; and
with the wind gripping both, at times it almost
seemed as if that falcon would snatch the fish up and fly away.

Barracks and stables lined the northern curtain
wall and these featured both banners from every
surface that could be found; unlike many that he
had seen in the poorer parts of the city, these
were kept pristine and spotless from all muck and
mire. Doubtless they were freshly cleaned each day.

A broad garden lay in exuberant blossom, with a
profusion of pinks, violets, lavenders, blues,
indigos, yellows, and oranges arrayed in
carefully cultivated rows and columns. Slender
cherry trees lined the middle of the garden,
their blossoms bright and the scent of them sweet
and heady. Andares smiled to himself as he
appreciated the simple beauty of the courtyard, a
place of peace even in the midst of the unease in the countryside.

A quartet of blue-liveried soldiers with the
double bladed cross of the Lothanasi on their
chests stood on either side of the temple doors.
The doors were wrought bronze, inlaid with the
symbols of the Pantheon stretching fifteen feet
high and six feet across, arched with a rounded
point typical of Suielman construction. The doors
were open halfway, wide enough for people to come
and go, but not so wide that the guards within
couldn't push the doors shut at the first sign of trouble.

Andares stepped past the guards with a quick nod
of his cowled head. Beyond the door was a small
greeting place with smaller doors on either side,
before the temple area itself opened almost all
the way to the vaulted ceiling. Bright stained
glass windows line either side, the eastern half
permitting the brilliant morning sun to bathe
them all in a warm light that glistened on the
gold and silver inlay around marble blocks,
statues of the gods, and tapestries depicting
their aid to man. Andares was not surprised that
there were no scenes where the gods aided the
Åelf or any of the other intelligent races living
in Galendor, but he did miss it.

The morning sacrifices had just been completed,
and so while the Lothanas and a pair of initiates
chanted in prayer before the altar at the far
end, a few dozen acolytes all genuflected on
bended knee, their voices echoing the prayers in
a solemn ostinato. Andares clasped his hands in
prayer, joining his quest voice to theirs, heart
lifting to give his thanks to the gods for all of
their care and protection on the many long months
of their journeys. He brought the names and faces
of his friends to his mind and lifted them up in
prayer, seeking their protection from the great
evil that still gnawed away at their hearts.

And there he stayed, knees bent on a hard stone
floor, gray cloak drawn tightly around him so
that nothing was visible on his flesh, not his
pointed ears, not his pearl-gray hands, and not
his angular face. He could hear the priestly
incantations to one god after another begin,
reach a climax, and then decrescendo into
thanksgiving before the circle would start again.
Within each invocation his friends found their
place, especially his dearest mentor, teacher,
and master Qan-af-årael. On that venerable Åelf
who had given his life freely to defeat Marzac
and confound Yajakali's plans so monstrous that
no word existed which could convey their
severity, he dwelt most of the time, wondering
and wishing they could have had more time
together, but most especially, that his master's
life and the lives of his own people had not been
so filled with sorrow for so many centuries.

He was there long after the time when the
Lothanas left to attend to more mundane affairs,
while the acolytes busied themselves with their
many duties. Andares watched them between his own
prayers, noting the way they laughed and smiled
as they went about their affairs, cleaning the
temple, the altar, replacing candles that had
burned low, as well as donning guard uniforms and
going to take their turn watching over the holy places.

Others of the Light also came to worship and
pray, eyes drawn reverently to the altar with its
double bladed cross and lit candles. The stone
altar was inscribed with the scene of the
pantheon's first revelation of themselves to
mankind; Andares remembered the moment from his
studies, for it was a time when his brother Elf
lived with man and taught him, rearing him with gentleness and wisdom.

By the time the sunlight through the windows fell
on him, Andares finally decided it was time to
return to the Inn. It would be best to see if
Heru Benlan Rais had any messages for him. He
could gather supplies for his journey that afternoon.

The walk back to the Lake's Head Inn was
uneventful. The air was festive with talk of
Spring, and all of the new merchants and pilgrims
flocking their streets now that winter's last
gasps had been replaced by brisk easterly winds
and a warmer sun. The clouds in the sky had not
thickened as much as he'd feared that morning,
though the east was overcast; the storm, if it
came, would not come until night. Especially in
the seller's districts, his ears were tickled by
borrowed words from his people, some of which were even pronounced correctly.

It was midday by the time he returned to the Inn
and he found the commons half-filled with
patrons. Some were tenants like him come down for
a warm meal, while others were laborers seeking
some rest and repast. Most of the young boys ran
about seeing to the needs of the patrons, while a
few busied themselves with cleaning the unused
tables and floors. Andares turned toward his
usual table, but was surprised to see an older
gentlemen dressed in a white cloak over a light
gray bisht, with a bright blue sash that hung
down between the folds of the cloak. His
white-bearded face was weathered with the sun as
if he'd come from the southern lands along the
coast. Before him was a plate of cheese and bread
topped with a mix of vegetables and sauce. He
drank lightly from a small goblet of light wine.

Curious, Andares approached the man in the
foreign garb, but paused before he was halfway to
the table and considered finding another place to
sit. But the white-cloaked elder caught his gaze
and beckoned him closer with one hand, while the
other dabbed his thick lips with a kerchief. The
Åelf, uncertain but unafraid, approached the
table but waited at the edge just beneath the
stairs. “Greetings, Velelya,” he said with a
slight incline to his head, the words gliding
with a musical air from his tongue. “I think you
have traveled from a land farther from here than I.”

The man lowered the kerchief and then stroked the
end of his long beard with one callused hand.
“Yára Velelya,” he swept the hand out to the
empty seat. “You bless me with your company. If
you choose to sit with me, I shall be the one who
is honored. Heru Rais spoke of you, and my heart has yearned to meet you.”

“Then you must be the one to whom he promised to
introduce me. I am Andares-es-sebashou. And you,
Velelya, how shall I address you?”

He smiled, weathered face crinkling with folds
around his eyes and cheeks. “Anefistar. I am, as
you say, a Velelya who has come from a far land.
Please, join me. One of Heru Rais's nessë shall
bring you some apsa in a moment.”

Andares slid into the table across from
Anefistar, relaxing and feeling a warmth fill
him. This man spoke the words bequeathed to the
Fennasi with a fluidity and suppleness that
betrayed a sensitive tongue. Though they had only
just met, the Åelf knew that this one had studied
for a very long time. Did he speak so to impress
Andares, was this some conceit of his to reveal
his learning, or was it something else entirely?

“Where are you from, Anefistar? I do not
recognize that name; it is not of the humans of Galendor.”

“No,” Anefistar agreed, “it is not. I was born in
Sonngefilde in the deserts of Sondeshara far to
the south. My love of history and studies have
carried me from one library to the next through
that land, and then into this land so far from my
own. And no, I am no Sondeckis. They are a good
intentioned people who bear such a terrible
burden of power and responsibility. But I am not of them.”

“So your studies and love of history have brought you to Bozojo?”

“In a way. I have been in Dûn Fennas for the last
ten years of my life; the fifteen before it were
spent in Sathmore and Pyralis as I learned the
long history of Galendor. I am sure that you,
Heru Sebashou, could tell me much more, and about
lands I have never been able to enter.”

Andares narrowed his gaze lightly as he watched
the white-bearded man eat a bit of cheese. His
words were measured, but so delicate that no hint
of his unease came through as he said, “Are you
seeking entrance to a new land?”

“It would be a delight to my heart if I could,
but no, I am not seeking it. I am not worthy of
it, but I hope by sharing the fruits of my
studies I can help heal some of the wounds that
exist between the people in this land.” He
lowered his eyes, brows furrowing like a bull
frog. “What good is the knowledge and wisdom I
have gained if I hoard it all for myself?”

“Indeed,” Andares agreed with a faint relaxing of
his tension. He wasn't quite sure what to make of
Anefistar quite yet, but his manner was genuine
and his speech pleasing. And if Benlan Rais
trusted him, as he obviously must to have seated
him at Andares's preferred table, then he would
do well to spend some time conversing to better
learn who this southerner really was, and what he was doing in Bozojo.

“Then tell me,” the Åelf said, proffering a
gentle invitation with one gray-skinned hand,
“what have you learned in your journeys?”

Anefistar smiled broadly and leaned back in his
seat, stuffing the end of his beard within the
folds of his white robe with one hand. “To make
this a fair exchange, I ask only that you tell me
one tale of your travels. Just one from one so
venerable, Yára Velelya, as you, and I shall be satisfied.”

He could not hide the smile the stretched his
angular cheeks. “I do have one tale I can tell.
But first tell me how you have come to know the Fennasi as well as you do.”

“Any chance to speak of the Fennasi gives me pleasure. Thank you, Yára!”

As promised, one of the nessë brought Andares a
small plate of fruit, cheese, and bread. He
savored the clutch of strawberries and the sweet
dipping sauce, as well as the hard bread filled
with an assortment of nuts. The cheese made for
the perfect compliment to both strawberries and
conversation. He and Anefistar spoke for some
hours. He regaled the elderly scholar with their
venture to the Chateau Marzac and its ultimate
destruction, to which his companion remarked in wonder and delight.

Anefistar for his part described his travels
through the many human kingdoms and empires
dotting the land, as well as his curiosity for
the tales of the ancient ones that had led him
inexorably to Dûn Fennas. There he spent as much
time as he could in Salinon and Marigund, though
the last few years had been spent passing between
Delavia and Linduin and finding true contentment
amongst those hardy people who well remembered
the tales of their Elven masters who had guided
them and guarded them against their enemies for
generations before retreating from the world. It
was there that Anefistar had finally moved beyond
his practical agnosticism and fully adopted the
Lothanasi ways, seeing a wisdom, simplicity, and
humility in the Light that he had never seen elsewhere.

“Oh, I have met many fine Patildor in my travels,
Yára Velelya. As I can see you have. But the
Pantheon came to us men while we were still
living with your kind, and in that I can see a greater truth and humility.”

Andares had accepted these words for he knew
their truth. As the hours passed, he saw the
patrons come and go, the nessë run to and fro
cleaning tables, carrying satchels for some,
stinking of horse and fish whenever they returned
from errands, as well as Heru Benlan Rais tending
to his many patrons, and even a few of the
Lindalnér returning for another performance of
ballads and love songs. Through it all he
continued to converse with his new companion. The
scholar was well versed in many subjects and had
spent much of his time in Dûn Fennas learning of
their history and culture, mastering its
intricacies and even restoring some of what had
once been common to the Fennasi people but had
been lost in the three centuries since the Elf
had left them. Andares never had to correct his
pronunciation except for those few words which he
felt obliged to introduce him to. Even more than
the people of Bozojo, Anefistar adored the
ancient and radiant tongue of the Elvish people.
It was not quite the same tongue as the Åelves
who had held themselves even more aloof than
their brethren of Quenardya, but it too was
cherished as only a reliquary handed down from
one generation to the next could be.

Their conversation continued into the evening
before Benlan Rais was able to break away from
his duties long enough to join them at their
table. “Forgive me, Velelya, for not introducing
you to nildo Anefistar as I promised.”

“The Lake's Head Inn is busy,” Andares replied
with a smile touching the corners of his lips.
“You are not expected to neglect your business
for my sake. We have found each other.”

“That I can see,” Benaln admitted with a relieved
laugh. He then leaned in closer and looking to
the scholar asked, “Have you asked him yet?”

“No,” Anefistar replied.

Curious, Andares laid one pearl-gray hand atop
the other, drawing further back within his cloak.
“What is it you wish to ask me?”

The white-bearded southerner sighed and lowered
his eyes to the table. “Dûn Fennas may seem to be
rising with this latest star in their
constellation. But in truth, she is falling into
a terrible darkness. It is not a darkness that
springs from ill-omened Elderwood, nor one that
stretches down out of the mountains. It does not
even come from her ancestral enemies to the west,
all of whom are too weak to even scare Fennasi
children. No, this darkness, Yára Velelya, comes
from within her own heart, a heart that has grown
comfortable and rapacious like all the other
lands through which I have wandered.”

Andares felt certain he knew to what Anefistar
referred, but if dark words were to be said, he
would rather them be said so there could be no
doubt as to what the shadows were. “Riddles and
puzzles I have a great love for, and I would
dearly enjoy a month, a year e'en, spent
pondering and proposing them with you, Ishtyar.
But now it is time to speak plainly; let there be
no distance between our thoughts. What darkness has come over the Fennasi?”

Anefistar nodded, then leaned across the table.
Both Benlan Rais and Andares leaned toward him.
In a soft whisper, one so quiet that he couldn't
even feel the rush of breath, nor see the
slightest disturbance in his beard when the words
slipped past his lips, he said, “The Ard-Rí has
taken the heir of Kelewair captive; they hold him
in Salinon, so this place can be held safe.”

In a voice equally as quiet, consonants
punctuating the air like the drop of a pin, he
replied, “I have heard. What do you mean to ask of me?”

“Your aid. The Fennasi have not seen one of your
kind in a few generations, but your stature in
their society has grown no less. If you accompany
me to Salinon, together we can persuade the Ard-Rí to set his prisoner free.”

“And bring war upon this town?”

“You have seen the soldiers, Yára Velelya. War is
coming one day or another. But if the son is
returned unharmed, and unexpectedly... such a
magnanimous gesture may avert a full scale war.
Please, come with me and aid me in this. I cannot
do it without your help. I do not have... your grace, nor your power.”

“I have responsibilities to my own people that I
must consider. A sacred trust has been given to
me by my late master and that I cannot disobey.”

Benlan grimaced and shook his head, “Your people
live so long... Salinon is not far off your course.”

The Innkeeper spoke the truth, and he had already
delayed his departure from Metamor a week longer
than he should have out of a desire to remain
with his new and sadly short-lived friends.
Andares felt a deep longing in his heart for the
trees and spires of his home, but at the same
time he felt a vague sense of responsibility to
help these people. His brothers had diligently
watched over the Fennasi for centuries. If they
were beginning to err and he could do something
to right them, shouldn't he do so?

Andares took a deep breath and lowered his head,
the cowl obscuring all but his chin. “I will
think on these words. Do not speak to me of this
again until I speak of it to you.” He shifted in
his seat, standing and sliding free from the
table. “I must gather supplies in the morning,
and then I mean to leave. Find me before then,
and if my mind has changed, I will tell you. Good
night, Heru Rais. Good night, Velelya Anefistar.”

“May your sleep be restful, Yára Velelya,”
Anefistar said as he rose from the table and
bowed, palms spread out before him in a gesture
of respect to an elder that the Fennasi had
learned many centuries ago. Benlan Rais also rose
and bowed, his words similar, full of respect, hope, and confidence.

He met no other on his way to his rooms. And with
the sound of the lake and the city, and the
scents of cooked bread, meat, and fish drifting
in through his windows, he lay awake in bed
wondering for a very long time before sleep finally, blissfully came.

----------

Andares must have been dreaming, for he had no
idea how he had come into the Lothanasi temple.
The chanting of the priests and acolytes seemed a
distant haze in his ears, and the colors in the
tapestries and stained glass windows was bright
and vibrant, but also diffuse and confusing. Each
hue elided one into another as if the glass and
the weave were not stationary, but a living mass
breathing and waving in welcome to all of the
Light who had come to worship and offer supplication.

Andares blinked and lowered his head, letting the
cowl fall back in place over his cheeks. The
floor at least, smooth and gray, the only
variation the slight discoloration in each of the
stones, remained fixed like a lodestone. Keeping
his eyes to the floor, Andares was also able to
focus his thoughts. How had he come to the
Lothanasi Temple? Where had he been so far that day?

Judging by the prayers, it, if this were anything
but a dream, would have been mid-morning. The
sacrifice had already been completed and burned,
as no blood showed forth on the altar to speak of
the ceremonial death of the birds that took place
each morning. One prayer tumbled into the next so
smoothly that if it wasn't for the occasional use
of the name of their gods, it would have been
impossible to tell that they prayed to more than one.

After a time though, even his mind could not
focus on the question of how he had come there.
Was there ever a sensible explanation in a dream?
This he reminded himself as he allowed his dream
to play out. Yet, if he hoped to learn anything
of significance, there seemed little to offer.
After finishing his prayers in the Temple, he
returned to the Lake's Head Inn, avoiding the
steely gaze of the soldiers, where he gathered
his things and bid Benlan Rais a fond farewell.
The Innkeeper was distraught that he was leaving,
but expressed his fondest wish to see Andares again soon.

The Eastern gate was guarded by just as many
soldiers and knights as the western gate, but
they allowed the Åelf passage without comment or
inspection. Or at least, if they did inspect him,
he couldn't recall it. Dark clouds brewed above
him as he set out on the road. By the time the
lake bent away to the south and he entered the
rolling hill country leading toward Linduin,
dotted as it was with frequent copses of trees
and vast fields of crops, the sky opened and a
downpour washed everything in gray. The rain
smeared the very air, cool but not chilling.
Everything blended together until there was
nothing but streaks of light and darkness like a play with shadow puppets.

----------

As was his custom, Andares woke before the rising
of the sun. After a short prayer of thanksgiving
to the gods, he donned his traveling gear, his
ivory-handled blade, and his money pouch. He left
the small room over the kitchen as he found it,
leaving the windows open so they could enjoy the
brisk Spring air blowing in off the lake. He then
enjoyed a breakfast of eggs and fatty meat and
washed it down with juice from a fruit he did not
know. But all the while he ate, he saw no sign of the scholar.

The Åelf did find Benlan Rais shortly after one
of the Nessë had come to clean his table. The
Innkeeper looked haggard as if he had not slept
very well, though his expression brightened
considerably when he saw his enigmatic guest,
though when he saw that Andares was dressed for a
long journey, his countenance fell again. “Good
morning, Velelya. You have decided to continue on your way?”

“I must hearken to my people, Heru Rais. But your
fears will not be left behind. I take them with
me and will consider what can be done. If you
would do me the honor of passing this message
along to Heru Anefistar, I would be in your debt.”

Benlan Rais grimaced, but then nodded and forced
a smile to cross his wide lips. “It will be as
you say, Velelya. May the gods watch over you on
your journey. You will always have a room here when you next visit Bozojo.”

And at that, Andares returned the smile, though
his was genuine and full of affection for this
short-lived mortal. “It would bring me great
pleasure to enjoy your hospitality again, Heru
Rais. May the gods bless your home and your
city.” They bowed their heads toward each other,
and then with one last look back, Andares left
the Lake's Head Inn and made his way toward the
merchant district of Bozojo to gather supplies for the next leg of his journey.

There were several squares in the city where
merchants gathered to sell meats, cloths, fruits,
perfumes, cheap jewelry, and of course fish. The
fish markets were particularly loathsome in odor,
and so he kept clear of them, preferring those he
could find within the second bailey where the
richer families made their home. The streets were
quiet at that hour despite the number of
merchants already at their businesses and
beckoning to all who passed by; apart from the
soldiers going about their duties, there weren't
that many walking the streets yet.

He toured the few stalls that were open so early
that day, before finally buying a few fruits that
would keep for a week, as well as dried and
salted meats with several small loaves of bread.
That would last him at least three weeks, more
than long enough to bring him to the last human
city before he crossed the plains of Yerebey.

The merchants were respectful and quite
deferential to him, though they kept their
conversation focused upon their wares. When
soldiers passed bearing the falcon crest of
Salinon, or the piscine crest of their liege,
they doffed their hats and offered salutations with grateful smiles.

It took a few hours to find all that he would
need, and after he had done so, his purse was
somewhat lighter and his pack was much heavier.
By mid-morning the streets were filled with
people tending their daily business. He could
hear Lothanasi hymns chanted in little shrines
dotting the district, most to Wvelkim and Artela.
He could also hear musicians practicing lute and
lyre as he passed beneath the high loft windows
of well-to-do homes; he even recognized a few of
the melodies as reasonable facsimiles of those
his Elf cousins used in Quenardya. He could hear
the clop of horse hooves in every direction, and
the creak of wagon wheels followed quickly
behind. Voices conversing in laughter, whispers,
and shouts surrounded him. But at no time did
these people crowd him, but always they afforded
him a respectable distance, as if they recognized
that he was something altogether different. Few
referred to him in either speaking to him or in
whispering about him as they slipped past as
anything other than “Velelya” and he made no move to correct them.

He reached the Eastern gate of Bozojo a short
while later, and just as when he had entered the
city, the soldiers there paid him little mind,
preferring to inspect the other travelers coming
and going from the city on the roads the wound
around the lake, or headed even further eastward
into Dûn Fennas proper and the country of
Linduin. Those self-same travelers also gave him
a wide berth, as if he were an upthrust rock that
the waves divided around, flowing past with all
their vivacity but unable to otherwise touch.

The stream of travelers on the outskirts of the
city, as well as the numerous fisherman and
laborers heading from job to job, dwindled after
two candlemarks, many of them fleeing to their
homes as the sky darkened overhead. Andares noted
it carefully, observing as the clouds poured in
from the west, rippling through the sky like
billows of smoke through a tight flume. A stiff
breeze kept the scent of fish in the air even
after the city walls disappeared behind the
rolling hills northeast of the lake. The castle
and temple towers remained in sight hovering over
the lake, while the waters rippled in broad
strokes, waves rising with each passing minute.

By the time the lake bent away to the south and
he lost sight of the towers in the midst of the
high rolling hills wending toward Linduin, he saw
no one else on the road, and felt the first drops
of rain. Even if he turned back he would not
reach the city in time. Andares noted the small
copses of trees dotting the hills between the
crop fields, but saw nothing that would shelter him and keep him dry.

He pulled his cloak more tightly around his
chest, and tugged the edges of his cowl more
firmly over his head and ears. The puddles
swelled in the road, and the patter that had at
first been a gentle massage now became a thousand
little fists rattling across his head and back.
Andares picked up his pace, rushing down the
road, spray climbing his boots with each step.
His cloak kept the rain out, but with a torrent
as strong and as sudden as this, it would still
soak through every nook and opening.

The air was a smear of gray, yellow, and green,
all shrouded in a darkness that moved like a mass
where the rain tightened. On a small rise he saw
a large array of willows, their long branches
brushing across the ground as the wind dragged
them toward the east. Andares turned up the low
hillside, rushing beneath the willow branches. He
pushed through to one of the willows in the
middle where the wind wasn't blowing as strongly
The ground beneath was still dry and he smiled
lightly as he rested his hands against the tough bark.

“Thank you, friends,” he murmured as he slipped
down to his haunches, back pressed against the
tree. The storm was intense, but it would not
last more than an hour. A short respite beneath
the willows would see him through it.

Andares spent a little time in meditation,
listening to the booming rumble of the storm and
the hammering blows of the rain, before another
sound intruded upon his peaceful repose. Another
traveler was climbing the hillside to seek
shelter just as he had done. Andares opened his
eyes and sat cross-legged awaiting his guest.

He was both surprised and felt a sense of
rightness when he saw that the heavy-set traveler
pushing his way through the long willow branches
fresh with spring blossoms like a dream
interrupted was the foreign scholar Anefistar.
The man's white hair was soaked at the ends that
had slipped from his traveling cloak, and his
fingers slipped along the knotty walking staff he
carried. His haggard face blossomed in
bewilderment when he saw the Åelf sitting
patiently and dry at the center of the inmost willow.

“Yára Velelya!” he exclaimed in shock, and then
his lips lifted into a smile and he laughed a
deep belly laugh, pressing through the last of
the willows and dripping all over the soft loam
like a wet dog. “I suppose I should feel some bit
of pride that I possess as much wisdom as one of your kind.”

“When it comes to storms, my kind is no wiser
than your own. We all know to seek shelter.”
Andares gestured to the dry ground, and then
stood to help the man find a place to sit and
rest. “What brings you here? Your surprise makes
it plain that you were not following me.”

“Hoping to convince you to change your mind? No,
I was not following you. I have been journeying
between Linduin and Delavia these last few years;
I came as far as Bozoo because I merely wished to
see Dûn Fennas's latest holdings. Our meeting
there was serendipity. Heru Rais told me that you
decided to first return to your people.”

“Yes, I have.”

Anefistar nodded, then drew his long beard from
out of his tunic and began wringing it. He
squeezed only a few drops free before shoving it
back beneath his tunic to protect it. “Will you
be going all the way Delavia? Your road must pass
through Linduin country; there's no other way
with the dread Elderwood so close.”

“I will not be passing through Delavia,” Andares
replied as he thought of the many fields and
crags lining the road south of the Elderwood. It
was a long road, one that was always tinged by an
air of fear that rose from the cursed wood. “I
will be taking the northern road toward Frondham instead.”

“Of course.”

They sat and listened to the rain for several
minutes more, neither speaking though their eyes
did occasionally chance to meet. Andares allowed
very little to be seen in his expression, and
while Anefistar revealed very little, there was
some measure of calculation and want therein. In
his travels with the Metamorians, Andares had
well learned that when a human wants something,
it is only a matter of a brief span, like the
beat of a dragonfly's wings, before the desire
has danced from their heart to their lips and into the world.

So too it was with his guest beneath the willows
as the storm continued its pounding beyond. “Yára
Velelya, we are both traveling by the same road.
Even if you will not journey with me to Salinon,
at least allow me the great honor of accompanying
you to the place where our ways must part.”

Andares smiled, suspecting that his friend would
make such a request. He tilted his head back and
let the cowl fall down to his neck, revealing his
long, pointed ears, angular cheeks, gray-toned
skin, black hair, and eyes brimming with a golden
blue light. “Ishtyar, there is much that you
know, and much that you wish to learn, is there not?”

“When else will I have the chance to learn from
your kind, Yára Velelya?” Anefistar spread his
sun-darkened hands wide, and lowered his eyes to
them. “I have journeyed farther with my own legs
than most of my race ever will. And yet, in all
those travels, you are the first of the ancient
ones I have ever met. I desire greatly to travel
with you, even if only for so short a time as the road to Delavia.”

Andares considered briefly before his smile
stretched even further up his high-boned cheeks.
“I would be grateful for your honorable company,
Ishtyar. You may tell me more of your travels,
and of the Fennasi people. I would greatly like
to hear of them and of all that you have learned
of the many human kingdoms of this world.”

Anefistar breathed a heavy sigh of relief. “I am
more grateful than I have ever been in my life to
hear those words, Yára Velelya. Thank you. I am
your humble servant and will be obedient in all ways to you.”

Andares nodded and then returned to listening for
the end of the storm. Anefistar kept quiet as
well, moving in closer and holding his cloak
tight to keep in the warmth. The rain began to
drip along the bark and the branches even so deep
within the willows, and so Andares pulled his
cowl back up. He could not help but hope the
storm ended soon; there was a strange restlessness welling up in his heart.