[Mkguild] Heading to All Tomorrows (1/6)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Sat Jul 14 20:49:23 UTC 2012

Gah, this story has been bedeviling me since
February.  This story has given me more trouble
than any other lately.  I very much hope that
with this one complete I'll be able to do the
next few I have in mind much faster.

Anyway, here is my next tale in the saga of Metamor Keep!

---------

Metamor Keep:  Heading to All Tomorrows
by Charles Matthias

March 26, CR 708

The gray-cloaked figure strode along the main
road overlooking Lake Bozojo and its many ships
with an almost palpable ring of emptiness
surrounding him. Though the roads were crowded so
close to the city, merchants, soldiers,
missionaries, pilgrims, and other travelers alike
skirted around the enigmatic figure whose cowl
enveloped his angular face within shadow. The tip
of a jeweled scabbard was visible beneath the hem
of his cloak, while a well-worn traveling pack
adorned his back. He did not use any staff to aid
his steps, even over the rough terrain along the
Marchbourne's northern flank, but walked as
steadily and as purposefully as a monk at daily prayer.

As if in a dream, Andares-es-sebashou passed
through the opening made before him as the other
travelers all parted around him like a wave
around a stone. His return to Bozojo, a city
overlooking a vast lake whose far side could not
be glimpsed, was one that he'd long looked
forward to. Though it had been well over a year
since his previous visit, it felt only yesterday
that he'd trod upon the Suielman stone road upon
the incline toward the city's western gates. A
small smile played at the edges of his lips, and
his nose delicately sampled the intense odors of
fish, wharves, offal, sweat, livestock, perfume,
and spices that mingled together to create a
fragrant chord that could only answer to the name civilization of man.

What did differ, that Andares noted with a
mixture of approval and also a tender anxiety,
was the new banners flying atop the city gates
and also the castle and the wharves. Gone were
the once familiar wolf's head that spoke of the
city's former allegiance to the duchy of Kelewair
to the south. In their place were depictions of a
falcon whose feathers, beak, and talons were of
such delicacy and familiarity that it buoyed
Andares with reminisces of his woodland home –
these were the touches of his Elvish kin in
Quenardya, passed down amongst the Fennasi in
gratitude for the centuries of benevolent rule
only slowly given into the hands of men.

But it had been centuries more since such arts
had been seen flying from the battlements of
Bozojo which had been conquered by Suielman
armies long before Andares's birth. How had the
falcon chased out the wolf? How had the Fennasi
of Salinon come to rule in one of the most
important trading cities of the Southern Midlands?

He had recollected hearing the stories in his
travels from Metamor, though only in the last
week as he had left Elarial behind had they been
more than just whispers, grunts, and fearful
questions of war. Now he had come face to face
with the reality. Bozojo was no longer a city of
the Southern Midlands, but the newest daughter of
the Outer Midlands and the westernmost port of Dûn Fennas.

The wharves of Bozojo passed by on his right as
he continued toward the massive western gates.
Shouts, laughter, and song echoed up from the
gently creaking wood as sails snapped in a firm
easterly breeze. Armed guards and compliments of
soldiers moved along the stone piers inspecting
wares and accosting foreign merchants from time
to time. They also patrolled the roads leading
west and north in large numbers. Knights and
other horsemen were visible as they ranged in the
rolling fields, pastures and farms to the
northwest of the city. Along the battlements
Andares spied archers and crossbowmen. The blue
and green fish livery of the Calladar family was
brightly visible against the darker pennants of the Otakar family.

The western gatehouse was wide enough to allow
two wagons to pass side by side, with three
massive portcullises one after another, providing
ample opportunity for those archers to skewer an
army foolish enough to besiege the city. The
gatehouse passage was so long that torches had to
be lit every twenty paces to keep it bright
enough to see the way. Laughter echoed through
the passage, and Andares's slight smile
broadened. His light step made no noise even in
the still cold puddles where the tight-packed
stones had worn down over the centuries.

Beyond the gatehouse he found a wide courtyard
lined with warehouses and Inns to welcome the
weary traveler and the anxious merchant. One of
the warehouses had been turned into a set of
barracks while a second had been converted into
an extensive network of stables. The sound of
several blacksmith hammers resonated from beyond
the interwoven complex on his left. The blue and
green fish banner dotted the buildings, always
beneath the black falcon crest of Salinon.

Despite the almost universal presence of
soldiers, the populace that Andares saw seemed
generally content, busily pursuing their lives
without concern of bullying or braggadocio from
the militia. Nor did any of those soldiers come
to accost him about his business; they gave him a
wide berth, as if sensing his foreign nature came
from more that just a different nationality. But
with his cowl, and his mostly human stature, he
doubted that any would have guessed that he was one of the Åelf of Ava-shavåis.

Bozojo was organized like an onion with the
innermost ring on a rise to the northeast where
the Calladar family castle and Lothanasi temple
towered over everything else. Beyond that a ring
where the wealthy and notable citizens made their
homes as well as the establishments of the most
prosperous of merchants. The outermost ring in
which Andares walked was filled with laborers,
fishermen, sailors, soldiers, and the rest of the
merchant class. And it was to a modest Inn that
his feet carried him, one overlooking the wharves
and wide harbor that provided the city with its lucrative trade.

Lake's Head Inn was announced with a wooden sign
painted with a picture of the harbor, the lake a
deep blue beneath a bright summer sky. The
exterior walls were fashioned from a coarse gray
stone plastered over and then fixed with wooden
supports recently painted a rich mahogany, with
wide windows in front, all opened a crack to let
in the cool early Spring air. The second floor
also featured opened windows, and a tall pointed
roof that permitted a few wealthier tenants
privacy. Hanging from a long gutter was another of the black falcon banners.

Andares noted the familiar as well as the new
with some relief. He stepped through the door and
was greeted with a quiet commons. The candelabra
were lit and with the open windows both on the
main level and in the loft to one side, it
brought a diffuse orange glow to nearly every
corner. This early in the afternoon the only
patrons within the commons were a trio of
merchants discussing their plans over a bit of
wine and cheese. A few youths on the cusp of
manhood busied themselves cleaning tables,
floors, and any other surface that needed it. The
merchants glanced at him briefly before returning
to their grumbled argument, but one of the boys,
a lanky boy with a mop of blond hair and a
veritable mask of freckles, rushed up to him and
bowed his head. “Good afternoon, Velelya. Have
you traveled far? Are you in need of refreshment?”

Andares marveled at the Fennasi word, derived
from the Quenardya words for a traveler of
distinction and honor, so dutifully pronounced by
this youth, his pronunciation forced but
passable. He had never heard it spoken in this
city before, though it seemed so familiar as if
it were an echo of a previous encounter. His lips
and angular cheeks betrayed his delight.

“Thank you, Nessë. And I will require lodgings.
Tell your Heru Benlan Rais that I would
appreciate his attendance to some personal matters.”

His silken voice made not only the other youths
but also the merchants lift their heads and
regard him with curiosity. His use of more of the
Fennasi dialect bewildered the mop-haired youth
who clearly was not comfortable with the ancient
language. Seeing the boy's confusion, he repeated
in the more familiar terms. “Thank you, young
man. I have traveled far, and I welcome your
offer of refreshment. I will also need lodgings,
and I require the attendance of your Master
Benlan Rais to see to some personal affairs.”

The boy's face brightened and he bowed his head
again, hands wrapped tightly about a broom
handle. “Of course, Velelya.” He then half-turned
and led Andares toward a secluded table beneath
the stairs leading to the loft. “What can I bring
for you... Heru?” Andares nodded to assure the youth that he'd spoken properly.

“Whatever you have ready at this hour will suffice, Nessë.”

The boy frowned, his freckles seeming to multiply
in his embarrassment. “We don't have much at this
early hour. The evening meals won't be prepared for another two hours.”

Andares smiled as he settled against the wall,
gloved hands resting on the table before him. “It
will suffice for now. Just pass my message along to Heru Rais.”

The freckled boy nodded, and carrying the broom
with him, ran off into a back room behind the
wide counter at the far end of the commons.
Andares listened to a bird singing just outside
one of the windows and noting the enthusiasm of its melody while he waited.

A few minutes later, the merchants having
returned to their private discourse and the
lonely bird continuing its plaintive cry, a
short, balding man that was nevertheless no older
than either Charles or Lindsey emerged carrying a
small plate with bread, a small bowl of honey,
and slices of cheese. These he set before Andares
with a light tilt to his head, eyes appraising
him with warm regard. “It is a great honor to
have you in my home again, Master Sebashou. I
apologize that I cannot provide you with more
than this, but I will have a hearty meal ready for your tastes this evening.”

“Master Rais,” Andares replied, using the terms
he had come to expect from the people of Galendor
to show respect. “I am delighted by whatever you
could provide. Can you join me for a few moments?”

Benlan Rais, proprietor of the Lake's Head Inn
nodded his head and drew another chair close by,
sitting down with one leg crossed under the
other. “I have a few minutes for such a
distinguished Velelya as yourself. It has been
some time since we have seen you here. I trust all is well?”

“All is well,” Andares replied as he sampled the
bread and honey. It was sweet with a subtle tang
he did not recognize. “At least all is well with
myself. But what of you and your city? How came
you under the banner of Salinon? And why have you
been using the old language left to the Fennasi by the Elves?”

That Andares-es-sebashou was one of the Åelf was
a secret known only to a few on his travels –
Benlan Rais was one such man. On their first
meeting, Andares had been forced to disarm a
drunken knight who'd tried to strike him. Benlan
had seen his strange appearance and guessed that
we was of the ancient fair ones, and so Andares
had felt no compunction about revealing even
more, though he had never stated his mission in
any terms that Benlan could reveal. Still, this
young man, this hard-working and good man, was
one that he trusted and whose confidence he treasured.

“Baron Calladar has wisely chosen to ally with
the house of Otakar in Salinon. Duke Verdane
demanded tribute, taxes, and our soldiers. But he
was a man who could not defend his people. Duke
Otakar can, and with his protection has flowed
many goods and peoples.” Benlan laughed lightly
and leaned closer. “And with the new merchants
and the many dignitaries come to pay court here
in the last six months, our wealthier citizens
have flocked to their culture and ways, and so
even we humbler men have found them favorably
upon our tongue.” He laughed again, more
boisterously this time, and shook his head, the
few strands of hair he had left above his ears
falling forward to brush over his eyebrows. More
quietly he added, “Those few words we know at
least. So they do indeed come from your people?”

“My brothers and sisters did live amongst the
Fennasi for many centuries, teaching them and
building up leaders and institutions for them.
But it has been centuries since these words were
ever spoken in this city.” He smiled and added, “This minassë.”

Benlan leaned back a moment and then lowered his
eyes. “I will have to ask you to teach me more,
Velelya. Will you be staying long?”

“A few days,” Andares replied. “A private room
with a view of the lake would be my preference,
but if none are available, I will accept whatever you can provide.”

“Have you business then in our... minassë?”
Benlan paused and spoke the unfamiliar Elvish
word carefully so that he might not leave out the slightest inflection.

“To gather supplies for the next portion of my
journey. I head east into Dûn Fennas and beyond.”
An fluttering echoed in his heart. “I wish I
could stay longer of course, but I have my responsibilities.”

Benlan Rais nodded, frowning for the first time.
“Tomorrow, there is a man I will introduce you
to. After seeing all that we have in the last few
months, I think you will be very interested in what he has to say.”

“I will not be difficult to find,” Andares
assured him with a smile. “I would be delighted
to meet your nildo... your friend.”

Benlan nodded, before standing and putting the
chair back in its place beneath the nearby table.
“Then I shall go prepare your room, Velelya
Sebashou. Welcome back to Bozojo.” And with that
Benlan Rais departed through the back room,
leaving Andares to eat his bread and cheese with
only the chirping of the lonely bird for company.

Lake's Head Inn saw a steady stream of patrons
begin to come only an hour later. Many were
foreign merchants, some Fennasi, others from the
Ellcaran coast, and even a few from Giftum and
other cities sworn to Metamor. Many others were
laborers searching for a good, warm meal to end
their day. A minstrel, a lindalnér as he called
himself, arrived with dusk and he entertained
everyone with several ballads in the ancient
tongue. Andares had to resist the temptation to
correct both his pronunciations, which were
passable most of the time but atrocious in
several key places, and his melodies, which
lacked the aetherial grace and bittersweet sorrow
that should have left all in tears even before
the words had begun to glide from his tongue.

Unsurprisingly, the evening meal proved to be
perch, but seasoned with a delicate blend of
cumin, curry, and mint. Thin noodles complemented
the fish and a rather tart wine washed it down.
Andares savored the taste, all the while
pondering what intricacies of flavor, what tales
the meal could tell, what intimacies and secrets
it could share, if but these ingredients were
handled by one of his brother Åelf. There were
suggestions of the art his brothers in Quenardya
had left behind amongst the Fennasi, but it
seemed only that, a suggestion whispered at the edge of wakefulness.

He did not have another chance to speak with
Benlan Rais, but he was able to listen to men as
they gathered, their voices rife with business,
trade, and delight in their new eastern friends.
He heard whispers of the the latest haul of fish,
how rich the forests had become with game, and
the good health in all their livestock, all of it
sweet and grateful bounty from the pantheon for
their faithfulness. There were a few unpleasant
words in the mix, but they were complaints not of
ill-treatment from the many soldiers or of any
strange order coming from Salinon, but of a
subtle dissatisfaction that they sensed but could
not name. Times were prosperous in Bozojo, but prosperity wasn't enough.

Andares could not help but wonder what it was
they lacked, but could not name an answer. He
dwelt on the question from the time it first came
to him until all the lindalnér had finally quit
the stage and all of the laborers who had come
only for a meal finally departed for their homes.
All that remained were those deep into their
cups, and even these seemed subdued, brooding
despite their otherwise garrulous manner.

Shortly before the small clock atop the mantle
and beneath the stag's head struck midnight,
Andares retired to his chambers. As he'd
requested, they overlooked the lake, and were set
all the way at the end of the hall past several
empty rooms. The accommodations were not
palatial, but neither were they modest. A wide
canopied and curtained bed occupied the wall
furthest from the two windows. One window with a
bench seat overlooked the lake, shining bright
with a waxing moon whose reflection made the
gentle waters appear as silvery as a mirror. The
other window opened over the kitchen and so the
rich scent of his meal and the many others cooked
that day percolated outside, and were carried
within when the breeze shifted. A large bureau
was positioned between the door and the second
window, while a writing desk with lion's paws for
feet awaited the writing of correspondence
between both windows where the writer could
choose between a vista of the lake or the
delectable aroma of a well-staffed kitchen.

Andares took the time to unpack his belongings
and put his clothes and toiletries in the bureau.
His sleeping cloaks he briefly considered
dangling from one window to let them air out, but
decided it was still too cold at night to risk;
instead he refolded them and placed them in the
bureau with the rest of his things.

Satisfied, he sat upon the bedside and rested in
his lap the ivory-handled blade Anna-ithil-årda.
He ran one finger along the length of its silver
tang, noting the notch near the tip that it had
suffered in Marzac. It would take a decade to
repair, but repair him, this blade of his ancestors, he would.

After singing a soft hymn of his people, a lament
for Qan-af-årael and then one for the lost lands
in which he now trod, he sheathed the blade, and
then retired for the night. He cast one last
glance through the window at the moon before
drawing the curtains about the bed tight. It was time to surrender to dream.

----------

Andares awoke to his first full day in Bozojo
just before the rise of the sun. After his rising
prayers of thanksgiving, he donned his traveling
gear, his ivory-handled blade, and his money
pouch. He enjoyed a simple breakfast of eggs and
a fatty meat, washed it down with juice from a
fruit he did not know, and then left to wander
the merchant district to find the familiar shops and stalls he would need.

There were several squares in the city where
merchants gathered to sell meats, cloths, fruits,
perfumes, cheap jewelry, and of course fish. The
fish markets were particularly loathsome in odor,
and so he kept clear of them, preferring those he
could find within the second bailey where the
richer families made their home. The streets were
quiet at that hour despite the number of
merchants already at their businesses and
beckoning to all who passed by; apart from the
soldiers going about their duties, there weren't
that many walking the streets yet.

Like the outer sections of the city, he saw
numerous falcon banners thrust upon the roofs and
windows of homes and storefronts. One thing he
didn't see that he expected was the Ecclesia
church that had nestled near the gatehouse to the
outer district. Where the church should have been
was an empty pile of bricks, some tumbled, other
fresh. It was as if someone were in the midst of
tearing it down and starting to build something
else in its place. A handful of soldiers lingered
nearby dressed in the blue and green fish crest
of Calladar and they gave Andares suspicious glares.

He moved past there, noting that some of the
homes near the remains of the church were left
empty as if the previous tenants had simply never
come home from the market. Plants withered in
their plots outside the dark windows, while
cobwebs were visible within. Andares wondered
what could have happened to make those people
leave so suddenly. Had they been loyalists to the
Verdane house? The changing of rulers was never
easy, and he had long heard stories of humans
punishing their enemies mercilessly if they thought they could do it.

Still, he tried not to let what he saw upset him.
He continued on his way until he came to the
markets selling the sort of food he could easily
store for a trip. He bought a few fruits that
would keep for a week, but mostly dried and
salted meats as well as small loaves of bread
which would last him at least three weeks, more
than long enough to bring him to the last human
city before he crossed the plains of Yerebey.

The merchants appeared uninterested in talk of
anything other than their wares, and so Andares
did not press them to learn why the church had
been destroyed, or why there were a handful of
empty homes in a city that clearly was full of
people. They made no note of the presence of the
soldiers, as if they were some exotic animal
caged in a corner of their home whose novelty had worn off.

It took a few hours to find all that he would
need, and after he had done so, his purse was
somewhat lighter and his pack was much heavier.
By mid-morning the streets were filled with
people tending their daily business. He could
hear Lothanasi hymns chanted in little shrines
dotting the district, most to Wvelkim and Artela.
He could also hear musicians practicing lute and
lyre as he passed beneath the high loft windows
of well-to-do homes. He could hear the clop of
horse hooves in every direction, and the creak of
wagon wheels followed quickly behind. Voices
conversing in laughter, whispers, and shouts
surrounded him. Several times he was pressed at
on either side as he wove through particularly
tight roads on his way from shop to shop. Even
the soldiers, begrudging in their duty early in
the morning, now saw to their tasks with verve
and sometimes lighthearted smiles.

Andares felt somewhat comforted by this, and so
listened to what he could hear of the Lothanasi
chant on his way back to the outer district. By
the time he passed through the gatehouse he
couldn't hear the melody anymore, and so hummed
one of the chants of his own people under his
breath. He reached the fourth stanza by the time
he returned to Lake's Head Inn and lingered
outside in the cool Spring air until he had finished all nine stanzas.

Within he found the boys sweeping the floors and
readying the commons for another evening. This
time he saw Benlan Rais directing a pair of lads,
and he caught the balding man's gaze. Rais smiled
to him and nodded toward the table beneath the
loft stairs. What few times Andares had been in
Bozojo, Benlan always seemed content to seat him at that table.

The Innkeeper stood in front of the table with
his hands on his hips and smiled, “What may I do
for you today, Master Sebashou? Did you find all
that you need for your journey?”

“I believe that I have. The markets here are
diverse and seem to be well stocked even so soon after the end of Winter.”

“Don't say that,” Benlan warned him with a slight
laugh. “We've been known to get a few storms even
this late. If the wind sweeps off the Barrier,
then we can get a foot of snow, even in April!”

“Then we must trust that Dvalin will keep the winds blowing east instead.”

“Aye, for that we always hope! So are you leaving tomorrow?”

“I do not wish to leave so soon. There is much to
see in Bozojo. I hope to see the great Temple ere
I depart at the very least. I have never had the
time when I came through before.”

Benlan nodded and sucked on his lower lip for a
moment. “It is magnificent, though I'm sure you
have seen far greater temples than our own.”

“Each has its own beauty. One of the lessons my
people teach is to see the beauty in even the
simple wild flowers that blossom without any to
tend them. Some are allotted to be roses,
exquisite, fragile, with a scent equally as
delicate. But many are wildflowers, and their
beauty is always a surprise and a delight.”

Benlan laughed lightly at that. “I like how you put that, Master Sebashou.”

“I do have a few questions for you if you have
the time, Master Benlan. There are some things I
saw in your city that caught my eye today.”

Benlan grimaced and leaned in more closely. “What sort of things?”

Sensing a need for discretion, Andares whispered
of what he'd seen, the church that had been torn
down, the homes nearby that were empty, and the
withering gazes of the soldiers when he'd come
too close. Benlan listened with a careful
expression, before nodding his head and
whispering back. “The church was torn down the
week after Otakar's banners were raised. There
were never many Patildor here, but the wolf Duke
insisted a church be built. The homes you saw...”

“Yes?”

“They fled as soon as they could. Some say they
were spies for the wolf Duke. Others say they
were Patildor afraid of the soldiers. No one is
exactly sure, but flee they did.”

“So why leave the homes empty?”

“They haven't been,” Benlan replied with a shrug,
and a smile that only touched one side of his
face. “Many have been sold and filled by
merchants and well-to-do families from Linduin.
Some came to stay a few weeks, then returned home
to their city.” Benlan grimaced and then let out
a long sigh. “We are still learning what it means
to be Outlanders here in Bozojo.”

Andares wasn't quite sure what to make of it, but
tilted his head in surprise. “You mean Fennasi?”

His host chuckled. “That too.”

“What else can you tell me of the many changes
taking place? I see many soldiers on the streets
and in the fields surrounding your home.”

“Lord Calladar is doing all he can to protect
Bozojo and the many merchants and travelers come
to our city.” Benlan's half smile creased his
face again as he leaned forward and whispered,
“And to make sure we people stay loyal. Not
everyone is happy with being Outlandish...
Fennasi... what have you. Salinon has sent
advisers to Lord Calladar and rumor has it that
they have taken to managing the daily affairs of the city.”

“Why would they do that?”

Benlan leaned closer, though not so close out of
respect for his Åelvish friend. “To bring us into
Out... Fennasi society more completely. We here
are their newest and westernmost province. Their
goods have flowed through our markets and across
our lake for centuries now; this is but one more
import. But the rumors – Ah the rumors! – they
say that the advisers are here to insure
Salinon's control in case something foul should befall our noble liege!”

“From the Wolf Duke?”

Benlan stood back up and shrugged his shoulders
with a wide exaggerated posture. “Ah, who can say
such things! I am but a humble Innkeeper and would not know of them.”

“Then neither will I speak of such things,”
Andares replied, a sense of disappointment
filling him. Why did men have to play at such
intrigue all the time? Were not their short lives
miserable enough without heaping more misery on
themselves through constant squabbling for
position, prestige, and honors which were no more lasting than grass and straw?

He lifted a pearl-gray finger and beckoned the
retreating Innkeeper closer. “There is one thing
I must know, if you know. How did this changing
of the banners come to pass? Surely the wolf Duke
would have come here with his armies if there were not some terrible cost.”

Benlan's frown turned into a nervous scowl, and
he rubbed one hand over his bald head. “They have the wolf's whelp... hostage.”

“Who?”

Benlan swallowed heavily, and he shut his eyes
tight, not daring to look over his shoulder, half
afraid he would find somebody listening to his
words. Andares asked again, more gently. “Please, it is important that I know.”

In the faintest of whispers, but one that his
pointed ears could hear, Benlan breathed, “Salinon.”

Andares nodded slowly, eyes sweeping quickly
across the commons behind the Innkeeper. The
young boys continued to run about their errands,
cleaning tables, chairs, and the floor, as well
as managing the handful of merchants who had come
for something to eat and to rest their legs. One
of the merchants kept looking at the Innkeeper,
but his expression was more of impatience than of curiosity.

He was grateful that the door did not open just
then. A loud noise or even a blast of cold air
would have startled the good Innkeeper out of his
wits. The Åelf stood from his table and bowed his
head low, replying in a measured voice, one loud
enough that any who might have been trying to
listen would certainly hear. “Thank you, Master
Rais, for you have set my concerns at ease. To
know that the road ahead is safe and well
protected by Bozojo's knights and soldiers, as
well as those of Linduin, comforts me greatly.”

Benlan nodded exuberantly, smiling wide and
slapping his thigh once. “And I as well, Master
Sebashou. I dearly hope to see you grace my
humble establishment with your presence again.”

“It is my fondest hope. I think I shall retire to
my quarters now. But I will be supping here again this evening.”

“I will have personally see to the cooking
tonight knowing that you will sup from my table.
May the gods bless you and yours, Master Sebashou.”

Andares bowed ever so slightly, then left the
commons without another word. He kept his cowl up
as he glided up the stairs to the long hall that
led off in either direction. His rooms were at
the far end, perched over the kitchens with a
view of the lake. They were modest and private, exactly as he wished.

He closed the curtains over both sets of windows,
then doffed his cloak across the bed. He
unsheathed the ivory-handled blade, and standing
in the middle of the room, he began to practice
the ancient techniques of his people, moving
slowly, so slowly that it took all of his
concentration to fix in place each of his muscles
and each strand of black hair trailing down his
neck like a stallion's vibrant mane. And all the
while, he pondered what could be done, if
anything, about the ruling house of the Fennasi,
one that had wandered far from the good earth his
brothers and sisters had planted only a few centuries ago.