[Mkguild] Visiting Ancil part 2 of 2

christian okane chrisokane at optimum.net
Mon Jun 11 17:24:45 UTC 2012

Here is the Second and final part of Visiting Ancil

   This woman keeper had been touched by the curse and changed into an
animal that usually inhabited the warm jungles of the south; an ocelot. So
Elisha Bartelli was wearing a thick, wool dress in spite of the relative
warmth of Long House. At the moment she was searching for one person.

   She found her husband standing in a small room off of Long Hall. Crammed
with several desks, chairs and the like its walls had a dozen maps on them.
It was Misha's official office although the fox spent as little time as
possible there. But with Misha outside Long House it was now technically the
office of the highest ranking Long scout and that was Meredith. The ursine
was standing in the center of the room just staring into space.

   She walked up to her husband and wrapped her arms around him. He didn't
speak but simply kissed her hand gently.

   "How are the kids?" Meredith asked.

   "Fine," Elisha answered. "A little upset but I managed to calm them down.
How are you doing?"

   "Tired," the bear answered. "And a little scared. I don't know what to
do. All these people are depending on me. Lutins, ogres, trolls, those I can
fight. I know how to kill them but how do you fight something you cannot
touch or see?"

   "Trying to keep things calm is a good start," the feline said and rested
her head on his back. "You should have Jotham check everyone for any sign of
illness. Be sure the plague isn't here already."

   Meredith turned around and looked at his wife. "That won't be easy,"
Meredith answered. "We have over sixty people here."

   "We're not going anywhere," she said by way of response. "And if everyone
is checked it will help put everyone at ease. They won't go around jumping
in panic every time a person sneezes."

   "I'll be checked first," Meredith said. "Then you and the kids. I won't
make other people do something I wouldn't do myself."

   "Also all of the open spaces of Long House should be checked and
cleaned," Elisha said. "Break people up into groups to sweep and clean all
the rooms and halls."

   "We do have a full staff that does just that," Meredith countered.

   She shook her head. "No, not a regular cleaning. I mean a full cleaning.
Get into all the odd corners and closets. Leave the plague no place to
fester."

   "Having people do all that won't stop the plague," Meredith said with a
shake of the head.

   "True," Elisha said. "But it will keep them busy. It will keep their
minds off of the plague."

   The ursine looked at his wife with his head cocked to one side. "I'm not
sure I believe that."

   "And this place needs a good cleaning!" the ocelot added.

   "That I believe."

   "Seriously," she said and laid a hand onto his chest. "It might not help
but many will think it does. And that will help calm people's fears. And
right now our biggest threat is fear of the plague. Not the plague itself."

   He hugged her tenderly and kissed her on the muzzle. "I married the smart
one."

**************

   "How are you doing Lisa?" Misha asked in a serious tone.

   "All right," the woman replied curtly her tone making a lie of her words.

   "You've discussed the orders with everyone?" Misha asked softly. His
voice was coming to her mind courtesy of a sending spell. Usually Misha used
a spell that allowed face to face contact even over a long distance. But not
today. Only his voice came to her. The reason for this remained unknown to
her.

   "We have," was the woman's short, curt answer.

   "And?" Misha snarled. "Out with it woman. I'm not in the mood for sullen
silence and word games."

   "We're not happy with the idea of killing fellow Keepers," she answered
sharply.

   "Do you honestly think that I am?" Misha snarled. "Do you think I want to
see fellow keepers dead by our hands? We lose enough of them to Nasoj and
the Lutins. But we need to contain this before it spreads any further."

   There was a nervous tone to that last line of Misha's voice that made
Lisa hold back the angry words she had in her mind. "Any further?"

   "The latest count have over a hundred sick," the scout leader answered in
a whisper. "And ten dead."

    "Our families?" She asked in a whisper, afraid of what answer he would
give.

   "They're all fine. I've had all of Long house cleaned and everyone
checked. No one is sick," Misha answered.

   "Yet," Lisa added.

   "And I intend to keep it that way," Misha responded. "No matter the cost
Long house and it's people will stay safe."

   "We want to talk to them," Lisa said. "At least a few words."

   "They're safe," Misha responded.

   "I know," Lisa answered. "I trust you but to put our minds at ease we
need to hear their voices."

   "All right," Misha said simply. "I'll set it up but it will take some
time. I'll talk to Meredith the next time I contact Long House."

   "Where are you?"

   "Moving around a lot," the vulpine responded in a tired tone. "The Keep,
Keeptown, Euper."

   "Not Long House?" Lisa asked, surprised.

   "No," the fox responded. "I've been in contact with too many people to go
inside. No one gets in till the quarantine is lifted. Not even me."

   The realization that Misha was in the same situation as they were eased
Lisa's fears a little. And yet it also made her wonder just how bad things
really were. "I understand."

  "I need you to take your team east to the river," the scout leader
ordered. "We've had rumors of dead bodies floating down river. Also I want
you to be sure no one is traveling up river towards the keep. We've reports
of some idiot headed up river."

   "Up river?" Lisa asked incredulously. "You mean TOWARDS the plague zone?"

   "That makes no sense," Misha responded, "But we've had enough reports
from trustworthy witnesses to make me think it's real. If it is real then
there is no telling what their motives are so beware."

   She sighed deeply and shook her head. "You mean our task is to fish dead
bodies from the river and intercept a group of crazy people?"

   "Yes," was the short answer. "Unless you want to just sit in that cave
and do nothing but talk to Ancil."

   The woman laughed. "I'd rather have Ancil but we'll set out immediately."

   "Good. I'll contact you when I have more news," Misha said. "Be careful."

   "Always."

**********

   "Meredith?" A voice asked. "Can we talk?"

   The ursine turned to the source of the voice. Standing in the doorway
were two figures. The one closest to him was a woman of medium height. Her
tunic had short sleeves leaving bare her well muscled arms. Sandy brown hair
cut short framed a weathered face that held bright green eyes that darted
about and missed nothing.

   Standing right behind her was a tall. stocky feline with the shape and
build of a lion but with no mane and whose fur was the same gray as a foggy
day. Meredith had never seen the feral species in the wild but the Lutins
feared and respected it. They called it the Kalanshi - which meant Cave
Lion. Being a bear meant that Meredith was big and stood over seven and a
half feet tall and over weighed over 800 hundred pounds. He was used to
towering over people. He stood a good two feet taller than Misha. But when
he looked at Merrow he was looking at someone who was his own height and
weight. He understood why the Lutins feared the animal.

   "Elissa, Merrow," the bear said solemnly. "Of course. Come in!" He waved
his hands towards pair of chairs.

   The two moved into the room but did not sit down. "We're here about the
orders to stay here," the woman said. "Merrow and me have been talking it
over."

   "And you have some questions?"

   "We don't like the order," Merrow said. The felines ears were flicking
about and he seemed edgy.

   "No one does," Meredith responded slowly. Unsure of where the
conversation was leading.

   "I wish this was some sort of elaborate test," Elissa said with a shake
of the head.

   "So do I," Meredith commented. "But this is not some great play. It's all
too real."

   The feline shook his head. "I was expecting training to be a Long scout
to be tough but not like this."

   The bear gently patted the feline on the back. "At least you are getting
more than Padraic did."

   "Oh?" Elissa queried. "How long was his?"

   "It consisted of 'Padraic take your gear and report to Misha in Long
House." was the answer.

   "That's it?" she asked, surprised.

   The bear nodded slowly. "During the Yule attack we needed people and he
was there."

   "That's the only reason he was chosen?" The woman asked surprised.

   "No, Misha and George had been considering him for a long time. Just the
way we've been trying to get you both into the Longs."

   Elissa shook her head and laughed. "We picked the wrong time to finally
say yes."

   "Not the wrong time," Meredith responded. "Just think of it as an
unexpected test of your skills."

"What test?" Merrow asked. "We're safe in here while our families are stuck
out there. In danger."

   "We want to leave and go outside," Elissa added.

   "All right," Meredith said simply. "I'll speak with Misha right away.
Once you leave report to Misha after visiting your families."

   "That's it?" Elissa asked, a little confused.

   "We are all volunteers here," the ursine responded. "We won't force you
to do anything. And I agree that you'll be more help on the outside."

**********

   At this early hour of the morning a light fog still clung close to the
ground blanketing the valley floor and the river with a gray shroud. The
tall mountains that lined the valley walls kept much of the valley in
shadow. It was almost mid day before the fog burned off revealing the last
bits of the river.

   Long before then the scouts could see the group of soldiers camped out on
both sides of the river. They had strung a large, thick rope across the
river, blocking it. The rope was a simple thing and was hardly a serious
block as it could be easily cut with a knife. A more serious obstacle to
traffic was the spears and javelins of the soldiers.

   Lisa felt a tap on the shoulder and turned to find Nelis pointing off to
one side of the assembly. She looked to where the spider was pointing. There
he spotted a small group of soldiers in the midst of a large and animated
argument complete with screaming and arm waving. The woman had no doubt what
the argument was about. It seemed the soldiers had received the same stop or
kill orders they had. After several minutes of yelling and screaming and
lots of arm waving one of the solders punched another dead square in the
nose knocking the man to the ground. Everyone froze. "NOW GET BACK TO YOUR
POSTS," the soldier (obviously an officer) shouted loud enough to be easily
heard across the river and uphill to where the scouts were watching. The
rest just stood there for a moment then slowly dispersed. The officer stood
there with an angry scowl on her face and silently watched all of them.

   "We need to keep a watch on that officer," Lisa ordered. "And all her
people."

   "Agreed," Georgette responded.

******************

   It was a small group that clustered around the only exit from Long house.
Just Meredith, Elissa and Merrow. A little further back stood a small
cluster of a half dozen people all of whom had like the two scouts decided
that staying was not for them.

   "I can understand all of your reasons for leaving," Meredith said to the
group. "And I hold no grudge. I do wish you all the best and expect to see
you back here when this is all over."

*****************

   Merrow heard the crowd long before it came into sight. At first all he
heard was a low murmur but it swelled with each step forward. Ahead the road
was filled with people. Loud, angry people. Some were shouting, others were
shoving and pushing trying to get forward towards the gate. He could see
that the gate was closed and caught sight of a dozen soldiers standing in
tight lines in front of it.

   "I SAID NO!" A loud voice could be heard over the noise of the crowd.

   In spite of the roar and chaos Merrow recognized that voice and moved in
the direction it had come from. The crowd pressed thick around him keeping
him from moving forward.

   He tilted his head back and let loose a deep throated roar  that drowned
out all other sound. "GET OUT OF MY WAY!" The crowd around him parted
instantly as people tripped over each other to get away from the angry
feline. Suddenly nothing stood between the feline and Misha. The fox was
standing in front of the soldiers who were defending the gate. The fox had
the massive black battleaxe in his hands. There was a terrible glint in
Misha's eyes and his lips curled back to bare his teeth.

   Quickly Merrow made his way up to Misha. "Reporting as ordered."

   "Good," the fox said without taking his eyes off the crowd. "We need your
help. Fall in with the group. He started to say more but the crowd surged
forward.

   Misha snarled and raised his axe over his head. "No one leaves," Misha
said in cold tones.

   "I have to leave!" A man shouted. "I have a family to care for in
Midtown."

   "How do you know you don't have it already?" Misha countered.

   "I can't stay here. The curse will change me," the man said with true
fear in his eyes and voice. "I can't help them if I'm a child."

   "You cannot help them if they are dead of plague," Merrow said coldly.
"Which would you rather have? Dead or changed?"

   "Do you want to risk killing your children?" Misha shouted. "Just because
of the curse?"

   The crowd had quieted down from a roar to a low murmur.

   "Well," the man said slowly.

happy with how things are going with this plague. But we need to remain
calm. If this plague escapes into the Midlands it could kill hundreds of
thousands. Everyone you hold dear out there," he said and pointed at the
closed gate. "Could die. Who here wants to be responsible for that?"

   The crowd was silent now as they pondered his words.

   "I too have family out there," the fox said calmly. His words were soft
and warmly said but there was a firmness that spoke of strength and
determination. "And if I have to stay here and risk dying so be it. I'll do
what needs to be done to protect them. Now disperse. Go back to your rooms
and homes." He paused a minute but the crowd didn't move. "DO IT NOW!"

   No one moved for a moment and Merrow was sure there would be a riot. Then
two people off to one side turned and walked away. Slowly, painfully slowly,
in ones and twos the crowd slowly broke away and faded back into the town.

   Misha stood there through it all, as still as stone with that massive
battle axe in hand. Only when the pavement in front of him was empty did
Misha finally relax. He dropped the head of his axe onto the pavement and
then leaned on the handle.

   Merrow walked up to Misha. "You handled that well."

   The fox stood up straight and looked at the new arrivals. "Thank you. How
are you doing? Any problems with you or your families?"

   "No," Merrow said. "Thankfully."

   "Have you seen Elissa?" The fox asked.

   "No," he said. "But we were to meet here."

   "All right get over to her home," the fox ordered. "Find out what
happened."

*********************

   Elissa's first hint of trouble was the smoke wafting around the corner.
She drew her sword and started running. When the woman reached the corner
she stopped and leaned against the building for a moment. Then she
cautiously peered around the corner.

   Half way down the street small three story timber building had smoke
pouring from the windows. In front of the building a large mob was just
standing there watching it burn. She recognized the building as belonging to
her neighbor Alicia Carlu.

   "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" Elissa shouted to the crowd.

   The group turned towards her and she expected the mob to charge her.
Instead she saw the last thing she expected.

   There at the front of the group stood Alicia Carlu. She had her back to
the burning building and was holding off the mob by waving her spear about.
Elissa saw that many in the crowd were carrying buckets filled with water.

   She walked towards the woman. "Alicia?"  Elissa asked in a confused tone.
"What are you doing?"

   "The plague struck here today," she said slowly. "And we're burning it
out."

   "But that's your own home," Elissa whispered.

   "We can't let the plague escape," the woman said with a dazed look on her
face.

   As she got closer she could clearly see that the woman was sick. There
was a wild look on the woman's face.

   "She's set fire to the building and won't let us get close," one of the
crowd shouted.

   She slowly moved closer. "Where's your family?"

   "They're safe," one of the crowd said. "At least they are until the fire
spreads."

   "Alicia, We need to put out the fire," the scout said slowly and took
several steps towards the woman.

   "NO!" Alicia snarled and jabbed the spear at Elissa.

   The scout easily dodged the weak attack by the woman and lunged forward.
She lashed out with her sword and hit the sick woman in the face with the
hilt. Alicia went tumbling to the ground and lay there unconscious.

   "HURRY!" Elissa ordered. "Put out the fire." Several people rushed
towards the two but the scout waved them back. "Keep away. If she's got the
plague no need for anyone else to get sick. Someone go tell my husband!"

   "I'm already here," came the reply.

*****************

   The initial excitement soon gave way to long days of boredom and
uncertainty. The threatened hordes trying to escape never appeared. Nor did
any corpses come floating down river. Still it left the doubt and worry
about what was actually happening back at the Keep.

   The end of the strain of uncertainty came quietly. A simple message from
Misha. Everyone waited anxiously as Lisa spoke with the Scout leader. They
all waited silently as a thousand different worries raced through their
minds. Finally she opened her eyes and smiled at them. "It's over. Thank
God. We're headed back to Long House for some family reunions and a
debriefing."

   There was a collective, great sigh of relief.

   "What happened?" Kelyn asked.

   "Misha didn't go into details. just that he'll explain back at Long
House," came the woman's explanation.

   "Our families?" Nelis asked.

   "They're fine."

   It took only a scant few minutes of hasty packing before the group was
ready to leave. The group made its way from the small cave with its silent
occupant but Nelis lingered behind. When he was alone in the cave he
carefully made his way to the back where the strange occupant rested, the
same way he had for many millenia. "My apologies Ancil for disturbing your
peace," he whispered to the body. "And I have a gift for you for being such
a gracious host." He took a half dozen arrows from his quiver and placed
them next to the remains of the bow. "Every archer needs a bow and good
arrows."

   Nelis popped out of the cave a few moments later and walked up to the
waiting group.

   "Let's go home," Lisa said. And with those words they turned and eagerly
headed to Metamor Keep and home.

The End