[Mkguild] The Sathmore empire

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Sun Dec 8 00:14:51 UTC 2013

The purpose of Medieval Guilds was to provide a way of ensuring for
their members in a city the following:

1. A reasonable standard of living
2. Consistent training
3. Community (they often celebrated feast days together amongst other
activities)
4. Provide a system of Quality Assurance through ranking.
5. No competition to drive them out of business
6. Allowed them to spend more time on individual items; no mass
production here.
7. Provided a system of reliable apprenticing so that they would
always have a support staff.

So forth and so on.  As guilds gained in influence they would affect
the politics of the town, but their purpose was always to ensure
their membership would be cared for and would not be in want if
possible.  They were an economic and community organization which
impacted the culture of town-life in Medieval times and only lost
their grip after the Black Death and with the advent of technological
innovations that favored mass production.