[Mkguild] Felsah's Little School (2/7)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Thu Jan 10 15:44:47 UTC 2013

Metamor Keep: Felsah's Little School
by Charles Matthias

Part 2!

“I'm so sorry I didn't warn Misha off in time,”
Felsah said to Akaleth as the human priest
settled onto the cold stone floor of Felsah's
monastic cell in the small set of living quarters
behind the Cathedral. He had a little window
overlooking the gardens and city to the south of
the castle, as well as the mountain ranges on
either side of the valley if he stuck his snout
through the narrow opening. The room was only
barely apportioned, with a sleeping pallet suited
to his diminutive stature, a chest with two
drawers for his robes and linens, a writing table
with several letters, some sealed, some opened
but folded, and a little shelf atop of which he'd
placed several books. A yew was positioned above
the pallet and the air smelled of animal musk and
altar incense. Little bits of wood littered the
ground around the desk which Felsah hastily began cleaning.

“When we went to Marigund the guards tried to
kill me before we even entered the city gates.
This was kinder and to be fair to myself, not
undeserved. I was horrible to Misha and his friends when we first came here.”

“And this time?” Felsah asked, as he bent over
and swept the last of the wood chips into one paw
before dumping them in a copper pail with several
other sticks poking out the top. His long tail danced in the air behind him.

Akaleth sighed and gently struck his breast with
his fist. “I was rude and disdainful. It is a
hard habit to break. Eli's grace has at least shown me my lack of charity.”

“Misha is a good man,” Felsah added as he brushed
his paws clean. He hopped a single step and then
relaxed on his haunches. “When Madog brought me
here last Autumn for healing, Misha came with
that axe of his to welcome me. Madog stopped him.
We have talked a few times since I came to live
here and have become as I am now. He has been
enormously helpful to Father Hough and has kept
the handful of Rebuilders who make Metamor their
home from causing any trouble for us. Still, I suggest you keep your distance.”

“I have antagonized him enough and for that I am sorry.”

“He will forgive you if you show your good nature.”

“Speaking of good nature, Zachary is a most
interesting fellow. He showed no fear at seeing a
Questioner; he was more protective.”

“He protected me from a quartet of Rebuilders
when I first came into the city as you see me now.”

“Very curious. Have you suggested to him that he
should discern whether he is called to be a
Yesbearn knight? You do not have one dedicated to you and you should.”

Felsah tapped his claws together and shook his
head. “He is only recently changed and is still
trying to learn his place. I will mention it to
him as something to consider, but for now I think
he is best where he is.” He leaned forward a
little and in a quieter voice added, “Now I know
the accommodations are more than suitable for
Kashin and Czestadt, but what of this Hugo? Your
letter informing me of your visit was a welcome
one, but there was so much there that was hard to
understand. Did Hugo really try to kill you?”

“A terrible misunderstanding on his part,”
Akaleth replied as he looked at the mouse and
tried to imagine the dark-haired human with the
simple but clear-seeing eyes that he had once
counted as his firmest friend. He hoped the
distance and the change in body would never
impair that friendship. “He repented and for that
I was able to negotiate a lighter sentence. He is
in my charge for the next three years. He is also
a good man, very gentle and kind. I am teaching
him the Suielish tongue so he can understand the liturgy.”

“Hugo is also a Rebuilder? That would explain his discomfort at Vespers.”

“How many rodents are there at Metamor?” Akaleth
asked, gesturing with one hand toward Felsah's
new body. “We met Kindle the mouse on the way here, and now you.”

“Quite a few here in the Keep and throughout the
valley. I've met a few others myself, but only a
few. Do you remember the name Charles Matthias?”

“The writer? The one who had been friends with Krenek Zagrosek?”

“That's him. He is a rat and a knight living in a
little forest village to the north called Glen
Avery. He, his wife and four children, all of
whom are rats, live inside a large tree. Before
he moved to the Glen, he hosted a monthly
gathering for rodents at the Deaf Mule, an Inn
and tavern popular with those living in or
working in the castle. They still have it from
time to time, and with so many new rodents
amongst the refugees from Bradanes, they are
trying to find a larger venue. I've even been
invited, and I have thought about attending but I'm not sure.”

“Do you like being a jerboa?”

“It has wonders and challenges. I discover new
things all the time. But enough of me. You told
me in your letter that you would be coming here,
but you did not explain why. I am grateful, more
than you can guess, for your visit. But why did
you come? You knew that the other Metamorians would not be happy to see you.”

Akaleth sighed and leaned back as far as he was
able without falling over and let his gaze rise
to the yew on the wall. He pondered the tortured
and agonized flesh of Yahshua and hoped that
there was at least an iota of worth in the
suffering his own torn and reddened flesh had
endured. “I am here because Patriarch Geshter is
very interested in Metamor Keep. The news that
has come from this place has been mixed. His
Holiness wants a first hand account of this place and its spiritual needs.”

“That is why I was sent and stationed here,”
Felsah pointed out with a single up-raised claw.
“I have been writing letters for a few weeks now
reporting what I see to the Bishop, to the Grand
Questioner, and to his Holiness.”

“I believe,” Akaleth replied in a low voice,
“that he wishes me to carry back those messages
which cannot be written in letters.”

Felsah's whiskers twitched and his large eyes
narrowed, almost squeezing out either side of his
head, an expression that Akaleth wasn't sure was
supposed to be intimidating or thoughtful. “You
mean, you're here about Vinsah.”

“If you have learned anything I can safely carry
that back with me. Everyone wants the
excommunication lifted but we must be sure that
it can be. We must be sure that it was the
corruption directing the excommunication and not that it was deserved.”

But Felsah shook his head. “I have to ask you not
to speak on Vinsah. There are things I am still
learning. If anyone knew what I know right now
they would never lift the excommunication.”

“What do you mean by that? So Vinsah did return safely to Metamor?”

“He did,” Felsah admitted with a long sigh. “But
something in him has changed; he's not the same
man we once knew. He's not the same man I bled for.”

“What has he done?”

“He believes that he is doing what Patriarch
Akabaieth and the Spirit Most Holy were directing
him to do. He brought all of Patriarch
Akabaieth's journals with him and gave them to
Father Hough for safekeeping. He and I have been
reviewing them to try to discern what he thought
he saw in them that led him to make that
unbelievable choice. I wanted you to know that
before I tell you so that you will not think it
something he did out of spite; I do not believe
that at all.” Felsah paused and took a deep
breath. Akaleth used to grow impatient when
others did everything they could not to answer
his questions, but he knew that Felsah would only delay with good cause.

The jerboa lifted his snout, a measure of dignity
appearing on his jowls and large ears. “When
Bishop Verdane brought me to Metamor Keep we
surveyed the valley and I kept an attentive eye
and ear open hoping that I would hear news of
Vinsah, but I heard nothing, not even a hint or
whisper of his whereabouts. Some asked me if I
had heard of Vinsah arriving at Yesulam, but only
a few. I told them what I could, but did not
speak of his excommunication; it was clear that
they had not heard of it. During the plague I was
trapped outside of the Keep and so contented
myself with assisting Father Purvis in Lorland as
he adjusted to his new parish and his new shape.
I also had to adjust to my new shape.

“Once the quarantine was lifted I returned here
to Metamor and spoke with Father Hough. He told
me that Vinsah had returned a few days before the
Yule, and what had become of him. I immediately
rushed to confirm this, and sadly I did.
Vinsah...” Felsah sighed and shook his head, eyes
narrowing with regret, “Vinsah has elected to
become an acolyte in the Lothanasi temple.”

Akaleth opened his mouth, failed to utter even a
sound, and closed his mouth again. For several
seconds he sat on the cold stone floor, his legs
and thighs numb from its cool touch even through
his thick Questioner robe and linens, capable
only of staring at the robed desert mouse as he
tried to conjure an image of the raccoon Bishop
bowing in obeisance before the Lightbringer
demons. He could not make himself do so.

A distant bell tolled the changing of the hours
and a cool breeze poured through the window to
flicker the lamp. Shadows danced along the walls
while his host turned to lower a small curtain
over the window. The afternoon sky had begun to
fall into the starry depths of night, but the
fading red glaze across the mountains was
replaced by a simple mosaic of flowers and leaves
with the Questioner cross in the middle. Akaleth
turned his gaze toward the stack of books near
the desk. “Are those Patriarch Akabaieth's journals?”

“Some of them,” Felsah replied with a nod. He
hopped toward the stack and rested a paw with
long fingers and short claws on the topmost book.
“Father Hough has the rest. I spend a few hours
every day reading them and taking notes, trying
to learn all that Vinsah would have seen. He
doesn't even call himself Vinsah anymore. He says his name is now Elvmere.”

“That sounds Sathmoran.”

“It is, though a very ancient and archaic name
very rarely used now. I have tried learning more
about it in the Keep's library, but there is so
much there, and the organization!” This last he
said as if the word were wholly inappropriate to
describe reality. “To be charitable, it is not as
rigorous as the library at St. Kephas. I have not
found anything I can use yet, but I will continue to try.”

Akaleth nodded and pursed his lips. “I will have
to reveal this on my return to Yesulam. Patriarch
Geshter will believe his excommunication a valid
one; apostasy is... there is nothing I can do to
protect him. And why should I?”

“There has to be some explanation for it!” Felsah insisted.

“To exonerate him or to understand him? Do you
pursue this because you wish to save Vinsah's
soul or to make your suffering to cover his escape have meaning?”

Felsah's tail curled around his legs and he
gingerly picked up the tuft and began rifling
through it with his claws as if he were combing
it. “Aye, I am tempted to try to justify my
suffering. But I want to save Vinsah too. I
just... the only path before me is to read these
journals and hope to learn why he has done what
he's done. If I know that, then perhaps there is some way I can reach him.”

“I will pray that you do, and pray that Vinsah's
eyes are opened once more to the truth. You have
perhaps six months at best to peruse these
journals yourself. Once Patriarch Geshter learns
of them he will want them delivered to Yesulam.”

“You won't take them with you now?” Felsah asked,
dropping his tail tuft in surprise.

“If you do learn anything that can help save
Vinsah, I want you to learn it first. You can do
more for Vinsah here than any of us can do for
him in Yesulam, at least for now.” Akaleth
uncrossed his legs and stretched each in turn. He
grunted and patted his stomach. “Now, it would be
good to share a meal together, and perhaps you
can show me what you have learned from these
journals so far. There will be plenty of time for other matters tomorrow.”

The jerboa bobbed his head up and down and
shifted the top volume from the stack and carried
it in his thin arms. “I have marked a few entries
in this journal I think you will find very
interesting. Read them while I see about
something to eat.” After setting the book down,
he hopped toward the single door to his cell and
then chittered, glanced back over his shoulder,
“It is very good to see you again, my friend.”

Akaleth smiled. “And you, my friend.”

----------

“Bring us a pair of meads and some stew,” Misha
said to the young cat woman dressed in a tunic
cut rather lower on the cleavage than Caroline
ever would. “You don't happen to have any muffins still, do you?”

But the feline only shook her head. “Nay, they
sold out an hour ago. You'll have to wait until
tomorrow when we have another fresh batch. We do
have fresh loafs of bread and biscuits from this
morning that we can warm for you.”

“That will do fine,” Misha replied with a curt
nod of his snout. The young woman almost sashayed
between the tables back toward where the auruch
Donny was filling mazers with the latest brew for
the patrons clustered around the long bar near
the pool table. Misha turned his gaze away after
the second flick of long tail, and shook his
head, chiding himself for even getting to the second flick.

“All right,” Rickkter groused as he leaned back
against the wall, their little table at the Deaf
Mule well sheltered from casual listeners. The
raccoon was running his claws over his neck fur
as if he were still checking for tufts cut free
by the ensorceled blades. “I think it's time you
told me how you knew who that Questioner and his entourage were.”

“And time you tell me what you saw when you
looked at that Questioner,” Misha pointed out
with a grunt. “And how you knew that Yesbearn and how he knew you.”

“Fair enough,” Rickkter replied as he crossed his
arms, dark eyes peering up at the ceiling.
Lanterns swung from the rafters bringing a warm
illumination to the tavern. The crowd was large
that evening, with more than a dozen clustered
around the pool table as the lizard Copernicus
mercilessly dispatched challenger after
challenger, and twice that many gathered near the
bar to drown the weariness of a day's labor in
the warmth of a good tankard of ale. The tables
were mostly filled with an assortment of
soldiers, merchants, and day laborers all of whom
were engrossed in their own conversations. The
nearest two tables to their own were filled with
other members of the Long Scouts, affording the
two of them a chance to speak freely.

Misha had suggested they talk in his office back
at Long House, but Rickkter would have none of
that. The fox owed him a meal and this was where
he wanted it. Not that Misha minded; Donny's
cooks were excellent, even if they didn't have any muffins that evening.

Rickkter narrowed his eyes, but did not lower his
gaze from the lantern over their table. “The
Yesbearn knight is a man named Czestadt. He is
from eastern Sonngefilde and when I joined the
Kankoran he was already advanced in rank.”

“So he is a battle mage?”

“Of sorts. He cannot summon fire, ice, or
anything of that sort. He has one real magical
skill, but he is a consummate master of it.
Swords. If it is a bladed weapon he can wield it
even if he isn't touching it. That's how he put
those swords to our necks. If he'd meant to kill
us we wouldn't be here talking; at best we'd be
at Coe's having stitches sewn into our flesh, but more likely we'd be dead.”

“He is that powerful?”

Rickkter shrugged and finally lowered his snout,
casting a quick glance at the other Longs nearby.
“Yes and no. It has been more than a decade since
last I saw him; I didn't recognize him at first,
not until he used the swords. Had I known it was
him, he never would have been able to do it. I'd
have stopped him. I did stop him once I had a
chance, but I think he was more interested in making a point than in fighting.”

Now it was Misha's turn to cross his arms. “What point would that be?”

“That fighting them was going to cost lives. Aye,
I could have killed Czestadt... eventually.
But... let me tell more of his past first. He...”
Rickkter stopped when he saw the cat woman
returning with a pair of mazers filled to the
brim with a sweet and hearty smelling mead. She
smiled to them both and the raccoon could have
swore that she purred at him; this feline was
only barely old enough to deserve the title of
woman and it seemed that her youthful nature was
getting the better of her. If she wasn't careful
a drunk fool might bed her and despoil her forever.

He sipped at the mead, savoring the aftertaste of
honey, while wondering why he had even cared
enough to ponder the foolish choices of some
young woman. The answer floated into his mind
with the rapidity of a spring flower's perfume:
Kayla. The comely young skunk had won his heart
and it seemed, civilized him in ways he hadn't
expected. A part of him knew he should be
irritated by this, but all he could do was
imagine a sweet melody hanging in the air as he
shared some succulent morsel with her while
laying on the soft grass with a moonlit lake
radiating a silver glow in their fur.

A moment later the orange tabby-colored feline
girl returned with bowls of fresh stew, the meat
scent driving them both to salivate, as well as a
small basket with fresh biscuits reeking of
butter and the bite of walnut. Misha wasted no
time in shoveling an inviting chunk of potato
dripping with broth into his snout, while
Rickkter sampled one of the soft carrots, chewing
twice before swallowing, eyes ever on that woman.
Once she had returned to the bar to tend to other
customers, he picked up one of the biscuits and
began tearing off small chunks of bread and
dipping them in the broth until they were sodden and scrumptious.

“Czestadt was one of my instructors with the
Kankoran when I first arrived. He taught me how
to use a sword, but I could never touch blades
the way he and a select few of my old clan could.
Blademasters they were called, and while none
could best them in a combat with just swords,
very, very few were ever good enough to defeat a
warmage who had mastered all of the elements.
There have only ever been three black
Blademasters of the Kankoran in the over
two-thousand years. Czestadt would have been the
fourth if he hadn't become a Follower and
abandoned the Kankoran to join the Driheli knights.”

Misha furiously licked a bit of broth that had
smeared across his jowls before narrowing his
gray eyes and asking, “Who are the Driheli? I've never heard of them.”

“An order of knights based out of the city of
Stuthgansk.” At Misha's blank expression,
Rickkter continued. “Stuthgansk is the principal
city on the northeastern coast of Sonngefilde.
The Kankoran, the Dragons, and the Hevagn have
long wanted to control that city; it controls all
of the trade with Manzona and eastern Galendor.
But the knights of Driheli have long been a
bulwark to protect the city. That and the
infighting between the mage clans of eastern
Sonngefilde. Czestadt isn't the first Kankoran to
join the Driheli, but he was one of the most
powerful. And it didn't take him long to rise
through the ranks, or so I heard. He was a Knight
Commander when I left Sonngefilde. I never
thought I would see him again. I wonder what
happened that made him join the Yesbearn. Both
orders are fanatical so I suppose it isn't that much of a change...”

Misha chewed a bit of meat, more of the broth
clinging to his whiskers, while he pondered the tale. “Were you friends?”

“He had been an instructor, and several years my
senior. We were on good terms, but once I turned
toward mastering the elements, we rarely spoke. I
bear him no ill will, and I would be surprised if
he bore me any ill will. He never kept grudges,
but he wasn't so naïve to trust anyone who'd
crossed him again.” Rickkter paused to lap up
another mouthful of mead. He brushed his snout on
his sleeve and then spooned up more stew and left
it cooling in the air. “If he is now a Yesbearn,
then I think we can safely say that all he is
interested in doing is protecting that
Questioner. He'll die to do so, but he'll kill a lot of people first.”

They ate in silence for a moment before Misha
took another drink of his mead and began drumming
his claws on the lacquered table. “So he can move
swords. Why couldn't he move yours?”

“They weren't really swords as such. Clymaethera
and Trystathalis were once dragons; I've told you
this before. He can only touch true swords.
Anything which has been tainted as he would say
by living essences is different. He cannot make a
sword I hold in my hand move against my will. It
is the same for my dragon swords. Something else
already holds them. He cannot touch them. But
that is only a small weakness. The reason he
almost became a black is because he has mastered
one skill that is beyond even me.”

“And that is?”

“He cannot be killed with a blade. Cut his head
off with a sword and it will grow back.” Misha
blanched and a spoon dripping with meat and a bit
of potato hung quivering halfway to his snout.
“It is as grisly as it sounds. I've never seen it myself but he has the skill.”

“How do you even test for such a skill? Does
somebody cut his head off on the chance to see if
he's figured out how to grow a new one?”

Rickkter was grateful that he had managed to
swallow his drink before Misha had finished
speaking, or he would have sprayed the fox with
mead. As it was he laughed loud and heartily, the
very image of Blademaster after Blademaster
lowering their heads before an executioner to see
which of them had it right. After he'd finished,
he took another drink and shook his head. “Nay,
nay, nothing quite like that. The ordeal that
they must endure to master the skill has killed
before, but not often. Usually they just fail and
have to try again. Czestadt defeated the ordeal on his fifth try.”

“What's the ordeal?”

Rickkter shook his head. “I don't know; I never
tried it. Only a Blademaster can attempt it; it
would kill a warmage in seconds if we dared. I
know a few who did; afterward, there wasn't much
left to bury. But... that is the limit and extent
of his powers. He knows one thing and knows it
better than anyone else alive. And he believes
one thing, and will die for that belief without
hesitation. That is what makes him dangerous. And
also what makes him harmless so long as we do not threaten his charge.”

“So my coming out in force to make sure that Questioner didn't do anything?”

“Bad idea, but you didn't know what Czestadt
could do. Wolfram looked rather pissed too at
being used like that, but I'm sure if you let him
work with the Long Scouts on a mission he'll forgive you.”

“I will think of something,” Misha replied with a
grunt before shoving another mouthful of hot stew
down his gullet. He swallowed and gestured at
Rickkter's left paw. “How's the terrible wound on your hand?”

Rickkter glowered at the fox but said nothing. He
sipped his mead, ate another spoonful of stew,
and took another sip of mead, shadowed eyes never leaving the fox.

Misha chuckled to himself, well remembering the
raccoon's surprise when that little rat had
latched onto his hand. Despite his own anger,
that was an image he would cherish for many
years. “What did you see when you looked at the Questioner?”

“It was like staring into the sun after spending
a week trapped in a tomb.” Rickkter rubbed his
forehead with his thumb, the little black claw at
its tip dragging the fur of his brow back and forth.

Even though he'd seen the raccoon recoil from the
Questioner, he still had a hard time believing
what he heard. “My sister said that they couldn't
see anything when they looked at that priest. And
that wasn't just one mage, but seven from the
mage guild in Marigund who studied him!”

“The mages of Marigund don't know as much as they
think they do. I knew a few things they've never
heard of and no, I'm not going to share. Tell me
more of what your sister said. How did you know who they were?”

“They visited Marigund about a month ago. After
what happened with Marzac they sent a letter to
Yesulam with questions about what had happened
there; they knew that Yesulam was involved
somehow, which is more than any of us knew.”

“And Yesulam sent a Questioner to Marigund? When
was the last time any Questioner had set foot in
that city and lived to tell the tale?”

“At least a hundred years ago if not more,” Misha
frowned in distaste at the mere thought of those
inquisitorial priests fouling his home city with
their presence. “They certainly did not expect
it, but Elizabeth did say that the priest, the
Yeshuel, and the Yesbearn were the right people.
Goaded Demarest and the rest apparently. She
didn't tell me all that much; I think she wanted to vent more than to warn me.”

“But she told you enough that you recognized them.”

“It wasn't that hard,” Misha pointed out as he
dipped a chunk of biscuit into his bowl and
drenched it with the last of his broth. “How many
trios of Questioner, Yesheul, and Yesbearn do you know wandering the Midlands?”

“True. But what of that mage? Hugo, was it?”

Misha nodded and grimaced. “That was the part I
couldn't believe. I knew Hugo when we both were boys.”

“Were you friends?”

“No, but we were friendly. Hugo was always closer
friends with his rat than with anyone else. Same
rat that gave you that terrible wound.”

“It wasn't funny the first time, Misha.”

Misha smiled, a smile so wide that he had to
lower his jaw and stick out his tongue so his
cheek ruff could twist with his mirth. “I think
it's hilarious!” Rickkter scowled across the
table, his eyes narrowing and his teeth grinding together.

“So this Hugo... how did he end up with those three?”

The fox continued to chuckle for a few moments
more before he finally regained his composure. He
shook his head, and then brushed his snout with
one sleeve as if his mirth were a soup stain in
his fur. “He tried to have the Questioner killed.
His plan failed, and he ended up in exile. To
everyone's astonishment, the Questioner asked
that Hugo be given into his care during his
period of exile. I haven't seen him in years, but
I wish I could say that it surprised me. Hugo was always overzealous.”

“Apart from having a familiar, what sort of magic does he practice?”

“I don't really know. Elizabeth would know but I
don't. By the time he entered the mage guild I
was already crawling through the fields and the
woods trying to read all the signs I could. Our
paths rarely crossed after that.”

Rickkter nodded and finished off his mazer. He
licked his jowls clean and then drummed his claws
along the table. “I can probably find out on my
own. It looks like you're going to have to talk to your sister tomorrow.”

“Aye,” Misha agreed, downing the last of his
mead. He wiped his snout again, this time
drenching his sleeve in the last of the froth.
“And this time I will try to learn all I can
about them. Had I known they'd be coming to
Metamor, I would have been better prepared.”

“I'm not convinced that they are a threat
anymore,” Rickkter said with a yawn and a stretch
of his arms. His paws came to rest in his lap,
thumb claws tapping as he pondered. “I know
that's the Questioner that was making threats
against everyone he questioned last year but when
I saw him then, he didn't seem to have a glimmer
of light about him. I think they are here for
exactly the reason they claim to be here. If
there is some other motive, it probably is
something we'll never understand, some business
of Yesulam we probably don't want to understand, I'd wager.”

Misha frowned, his jaw finally shutting, all
traces of his earlier jocularity gone. The
professional warrior with his tight, but relaxed
poise, had returned. “You may be right, but it
never hurts to keep an eye on them. If his grace will let me.”

A sudden cheer from the pool table made both
their heads turn. The massive lizard Copernicus
was waving his pole aloft in both hand, while a
dozen other keepers applauded and cheered him on.
Through the crowd they could see Michael the
beaver chewing chips out of the wide end of his
pole as his eyes fixed on the table with almost
feverish dismay. Misha laughed and shook his head
at the sight, while Rickkter just rolled his
eyes, “Doesn't that lizard ever lose? Anyway,
what were you saying about his grace?”

“Oh, that! I'm just worried Duke Thomas might
want to assign me to clean the stables for a week
after I put together that welcoming committee.”

That made Rickkter laugh. The raccoon slapped one
paw on the table, tipped his head back, and
belted out a hearty, deep-chested laugh. He
settled down after several seconds, and still
gasping for breath with a few unused chuckles
trying to occupy his mind, he managed to say,
“Stable duty would be good for you. I'd visit you
every day too... so I could laugh!”

Now it was Misha's turn to glower at his friend.
But the fox could never truly stay angry with a
friend for long, not as long as it was just a bit
of embarrassment they faced. Once the weapons
were drawn, it was a completely different affair,
but it had been a very long time since he'd ever
had to contend against the fox's considerable
skill and magical axe. He hoped he never had to again.

“Duke Thomas hasn't said anything about this to
me yet today which makes it worse. I'm sure it is
coming, it's just a matter of when it comes.”

“You'll be fine,” Rickkter reminded him with a
grunt. “So what do you intend to do about them now that they're here?”

“Nothing,” Misha said with a soft grunt. “I'm
going to keep my distance from them. Unless
Elizabeth tells me something dramatically
different from what we know, I'm going to do
nothing and let them be. I have enough things on
my mind at the moment, Madog, Bolva, Lindsey,
Dupré, Charles, Arla's wedding present, I think
leaving my nose out of this one will do me some good.”

Rickkter glanced at the pool table where the
plaid beaver was begging for a rematch. He
snorted and shook his head. “Some people never
learn. Anyway, I think I will renew old
acquaintances but otherwise keep my distance as
well. But let me know what you learn from your
sister. It's not every day we have such interesting visitors.”

Misha chortled, lifted his empty mazer, then set
it back down again. “How very, very true!”