[Mkguild] Felsah's Little School (1/7)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Thu Jan 10 15:43:10 UTC 2013

I wrote most of this tale over my Christmas break
as I was bound and determined that I would write
more than 100 total pages last year.  I managed
it.  I only had a few pages left to write after
the wonderful news of our adoption.  Big thanks
to Hallan for his help in editing and approving
some scenes.  And apologies to Hallan if this
narrative gives anything away for his own stories.

If somebody does not approve of the use of their
character, let me know and we can make
changes.  I'm just juggling a lot of things right
now and wanted to get this tale out.  I hope you all enjoy it!

---------

Metamor Keep: Felsah's Little School
by Charles Matthias

April 18, 708 CR

Though it had been over a year since he had last
seen the high peaks, dense forests, and sprawling
farmland of the Metamor Valley, and though he
knew that his presence had instilled fear,
indignation, and a definite measure of anguish in
the hearts of many, he felt nothing but delight
at seeing the place again. He peered at the
majestic peaks and thick woods through the window
of his carriage and marveled at the trees
sporting wild blossoms in yellows, pinks, and
blues of such delicacy and profusion that it
seemed to him they must have been painted for no
land could truly boast such vibrancy. It was not
that he had never seen such vistas before in his
many travels – indeed he had seen even greater
explosions of hue than this for the trees here
were broken up by numerous pines and elms which
did not change their colors with the season – it
was that in his homeland such vibrant colors came but rarely.

But life in the desert brought with it other
beauties that a place like Metamor could never
possess. Such were the gifts of Eli to His
children, different and sometimes hard, but gifts
nevertheless. Father Akaleth of the Questioners
kept this kernel of truth in mind as their
carriage made its way north along the main road
through the valley toward Metamor Keep. A part of
him had always hoped he'd be able to see this
place again, and how grateful he was that he was
not here for a Questioning! It would be years
before he could do another in this place, if ever.

Of course, if Eli choose him for such a task, he would do as he was asked.

“You look distracted, Father,” the now familiar
voice of Hugo Maclear offered from the other side
of the wagon. Akaleth turned toward the
pale-faced brown-haired man with a rat sitting in
his lap. The rat had black fur along his body
except for his paws which were white and he was
busying himself with eating a small collection of
seeds that rested in the palm of Hugo's right
hand. It had been a month since they had left
Marigund together; a month since Hugo had been
scourged with fifteen cruel lashes. The wounds
had healed but Hugo still winced from time to
time. And though Hugo was grateful beyond words
for the healing that Akaleth had given to the rat
named Boots, there was still a strange dance in
their words and interaction, as if the mage were
still trying to determine if the Questioner
priest were his friend or his keeper.

“I was not on my best behavior when last I came
this way,” Akaleth admitted with only a slight
twitch to his lips. “Though my purpose here has
little to do with Metamor Keep itself, I fear
that I will be met with some difficulty. I
apologize to you in advance for any troubles my
past actions will bring you during out brief stay.”

“I've never been to Metamor,” Hugo mused as he
stroked his rat's back with one finger. He cast a
quick glance out the window and a faint smile
crossed his lips and ever so gently touched his
eyes. “It is beautiful here.” Those eyes had far
more often shed tears than joy in the last month.
His fits of sorrow were not as common anymore,
but when they did occur Akaleth always took out
his copy of the Canticles and began reading them
aloud. The words, even if Hugo was only beginning
to learn Suielish, brought him comfort.

“It is. The wonders and beauty of Eli's creation should be appreciated.”

“And you have a friend who lives here now? What has the Curse made of him?”

“Father Felsah, a very dear companion. And I have
no idea what has become of him!” Akaleth tried to
imagine his fellow Questioner as a child or as an
animal, but couldn't manage anything in
particular. He considered a canine of some sort,
perhaps a fennec, given his friendship with that
dog, but even that didn't seem quite right.

Boots finished the last of the seeds in Hugo's
hand and curled into a ball, tail to nose, in his
lap. Hugo continued stroking a finger down the
rat's back. “I have heard it said that many who
have ventured into this pass have been waylaid by
brigands or by monsters from the Giantdowns; they
have been trapped at Metamor and changed to be
like they. Are you afraid that may happen to us?”

“If we are waylaid, we are waylaid. I am not
afraid.” Akaleth chuckled lightly to himself. “I
would be a bit irritated though.”

Hugo blinked and then chortled under his breath.
He snapped his head around when a rapping sounded
from the front of the carriage. A little window
opened and they could see the sun-browned face of
Kashin staring back at them. “Father, there is a
contingent of Metamorian soldiers blocking the
road ahead. What do you wish us to do?”

“Stop and see what they wish,” Akaleth replied as
he stretched his arms out and cracked a few of
his knuckles. “If they are soldiers stationed
here to accost travelers, let them do as they have been ordered.”

Kashin nodded and then shut the little window.
Outside they could hear their team of horses
neigh as they were brought to a halt. Little
Boots jumped from Hugo's lap to sniff at the edge
of the window before rushing back to hide in the
folds of his tunic. Hugo's face brightened as he
gently pulled his cloak over top of his tunic to
help hide the rat. “You are a mystery, Akaleth.
You are the only person I have ever met who can
both deny and submit to authority at the same time.”

Akaleth felt an urge to smile and to offer a
witty retort. He smothered that impulse as the
stirrings of pride and said instead. “All
legitimate authority comes from Eli. It is our
duty to understand whether the authority
presented to us is legitimate or not. If it is we
must obey. To disobey would be to disobey Eli Himself. That never ends well.”

“But what is legitimate authority?”

“Now that is an interesting question!”

----------

Kashin felt a deep pang in his heart the moment
their carriage rode into the cursed valley. A
year and a half ago he had come this way for the
first time as the chief Yeshuel to Patriarch
Akabaieth. That visit had ended in calamity as
the Marzac corrupted Sondecki named Krenek
Zagrosek had slaughtered their camp on the first
day out from Metamor. Only a handful of them had
survived, and the battle had cost Kashin most of
his left arm. The bright sky and faint warmth in
the air was some solace; a day of rain and bitter
cold would have reminded him of that tragic night
with a clarity that would have set him to tears.

Still, even though he had been expecting to see
the strange animal-men of Metamor, their
appearance nevertheless was startling and made
him wary. But his reactions were blasé compared
to Sir Czestadt who had only ever seen Vinsah
before; the former Driheli gaped at the merchants
and soldiers that they passed on the road north.
The expression of astonishment was unnerving on a
man as shadowed and fearsome as Czestadt, but it
struck the Keepers as no more than a brief amusement.

By the time they reached the checkpoint with the
distant castle in sight over the treetops the
newly sworn Yesbearn had recovered his wits and
knew each creature to be a man just as they were,
though his eyes still twitched, flickering with
suspicion and glaring darkly at those who paid
them any heed. Few did. At least until they reached the checkpoint.

A large man in the shape of a bear who was taller
than either of them and carrying a large spear
banded with iron held aloft a paw with long claws
and bellowed for them to stop. “In the name of
his grace, Duke Thomas Hassan, I order you to halt for inspection.”

They had already stopped, and after a quick
conference with the Questioner, Kashin decided to
at least satisfy his curiosity. “Good soldier,”
he replied, not bothering to disguise his rough
Yesulam accent, “On my last visit we did not have
to face any such inspection. What is the purpose
of this? Why must we submit to your inspection?”

The bear frowned at them, even as six other
soldiers, some human, others beastly in shape,
began to fan out around them, three to a side.
“Vicious men smuggled an evil artifact into
Metamor that brought a terrible sickness. We are
here to make sure you have nothing of the sort.”

“A terrible sickness?” Kashin gasped in genuine
surprise. “Has this malady been cured?”

“Not before a lot of Keepers died, stranger,” the
bear replied with a rumbling growl. “But it is
gone. Now you will submit to inspection. Who are
you and what is your purpose here?”

“My name is Kashin,” he said, gesturing to
himself with his only hand. “My companion is Sir
Czestadt, and with the wagon you will find two
men. Hugo Maclear and Father Akaleth. We are here
to visit with a friend and then return to our home.”

“You look familiar, Kashin,” the bear said as
dark eyes studied him. It was hard to see those
eyes moving so well did they blend in with his
brown fur. “You say that you have been to Metamor before?”

“Once before,” Kashin admitted. “It is our hope
not to cause a stir.” Czestadt stiffled a laugh.

The soldiers pulled back the canvas covering the
doors to the carriage and saw the black wood with
red cross emblazoned on the side. They fell back
and drew their swords with a startled yelp, “Questioners!”

The door opened and with his hands outstretched
stepped Father Akaleth. “Only one Questioner,” he
said with a laconic sigh. “My cowl is down, so as
you can see, I am not here in my capacity as a
Questioner. My business is solely with Father Felsah.”

“Put your swords away,” the bear snapped to his
men. The three Keepers in front of Akaleth stared
at him as if they were afraid he would reduce
them to ash if they took another step closer.
Still, they obeyed their orders, even if they kept their distance.

“Do you speak true?” the bear asked with gruff
command. “The last time we had more than one
Questioner in Metamor your kind caused more than
a little stir from what I've heard!”

“I am well aware of that,” Akaleth replied with a
nod of his head. “Do forgive me for my part in
that. But yes, I do speak the truth.”

It took the bear a moment to grasp just what
Akaleth had said. He blinked twice before
exclaiming, “You were one of those three! Men,
keep a good eye on him and don't let him move.”

“Is it really necessary to hold a man who has no
weapons at the point of a sword?” Kashin asked as
he climbed down from the buckboard. Czestadt
followed him, his mailed boots clinking as he
landed. Only Hugo remained in the carriage while
the other three soldiers performed their search.

“That's not my decision,” the bear snapped with
another growl. His lips drew back as he spoke,
revealing a vicious array of sharp teeth beneath
his broad, black nose. “Although, it does seem
odd. You two appear far more dangerous.”

“It does appear that way,” Kashin agreed. “What do you intend to do with us?”

“I'm going to send word to Metamor Keep. They'll
decide what to do with you. In the meantime, we
want your carriage off the road and the four of
you where we can keep a good eye on you.”

“There is no need for weapons,” Kashin said with
a faint smile as he took a step toward the bear,
his one hand out before him, palm open. “We will
do exactly as you ask.” He lifted his arm and
took the reins, stepping ahead of the horses to
guide them off the road. The bear grunted but let him do so.

Czestadt waited for the carriage to slip past
before he turned and put on hand on Akaleth's
shoulder. “Come, Father,” he beckoned with a
grumble. The three soldiers had their swords out
again, and with a blink of his eye, the tips all
fell to the ground, driving into the grass a few
inches. The soldiers gasped in surprise, even as Akaleth shook his head.

“They were not going to hurt me,” the priest
chided as he allowed the heavy knight to guide him after the carriage.

“You are my charge,” Czestadt replied. “None will
threaten you.” His Galendish had vastly improved
in the months since they had left Yesulam; he
rarely ever transposed his verbs and nouns anymore.

Akaleth did not object further, and soon stood at
the side of the road next to the carriage. The
horses grazed on the fresh grass, while two of
the soldiers searched through the carriage and
their traveling gear. Hugo climbed out of the
wagon with a nervous expression, his pale
complexion making him seem even stranger amidst
the sun-baked foreigners. Boots was nowhere to be seen.

The grizzly bear who stood like a man surveyed
them with small but steely eyes. He wrapped both
of his meaty paws around the shaft of his spear
and then turned to one of the soldiers in his
company. “Send a message back to the Keep. We
have a Questioner here wanting to come to
Metamor.” The young man nodded and ran toward the
watchtower rising a short distance within the woods.

Kashin stroked his fingers through the mane of
the nearest horse and relaxed. Beside him Hugo
turned to Akaleth and said with a dry chuckle
beneath his words, “You were right, Akaleth.
Another warm welcome for Yesulam's emissaries!”

----------

They waited two hours before another force of
soldiers rode down from Metamor to greet them.
The sun continued its westward trek across the
sky, drawing near the snow-capped mountains while
a series of high wispy clouds drifted in from the
south. The day turned cool, but huddled near each
other and next to the carriage they were out of
the worst of it. The soldiers guarding them had
to inspect a few more travelers in that time, but
George the bear, the largest and strongest of the
Keepers by far, never took his eyes from the quartet.

Kashin engaged George in a professional
conversation, though it took some time before the
bear began to warm to the Yeshuel. Once George
learned of Kashin's earlier visit to Metamor he
actually smiled; Hugo flinched at the sight of
his fangs. Neither Akaleth nor Hugo said
anything, but Czestadt did ask the bear what it
was like being part animal. The reply involved
strange appetites, long hours of grooming,
gorging in the fall and being very sleep in
winter, and extra care in picking up anything
lest his claws or his grip do what nature intended.

A squad of six soldiers riding horseback and one
very large lizard-like man walking alongside them
drew to a halt a short distance from the
checkpoint. A ram led the group, his appearance
oddly lopsided due to one horn being missing. His
left horn curled properly about a tufted ear, but
the right looked like it had been first shattered
and then trimmed down to an even edge that was
only just beginning to regrow. He bore a blue
tabard with an issuant horse over his armor and
his black wool, with a shield buckled to his back
and his sword resting against his right hip.
Cloven hooves that were almost as bright as
burnished brass poked out of the front of his
stirrups. Behind him rode two human men, one
young and the other a veteran of many battles,
who were both strong and wide in shoulder as well
as handsome in countenance. A small man who
looked more like a mouse rode in the midst of
them, his only weapon a narrow dagger sheathed at
his side. Flanking him were two more animal-men,
one of them boar-like in appearance with fine
brown bristles except for a brighter collar about
his neck, the other was a stag with velvety
antlers growing from his head. Behind them all
ran the three-horned lizard man, the top of the
armored frill on the back of his head reaching as
high as the mounted deer's antlers.

“So,” the ram said with a bit of a laugh, “you
are the dangerous horde of Questioners we heard about.”

George glared at his messenger, but the man shook
his head firmly, “I said there was just one
Questioner and three men with him like I was supposed to!”

The ram laughed again. “A joke! A joke! I knew it
was just you four. My name's Wolfram. I and my
men are to guide you to Metamor Keep where my
superiors are anxious to meet you.”

“We are well met, Wolfram,” Kashin said with a
nod of his head. “I am Kashin of the Yeshuel.
This is Sir Czestadt of the Yesbearn, Hugo
Maclear of Marigund, and Father Akaleth of the
Questioners. Our business in Metamor is nothing
his grace Duke Thomas Hassan need worry about. We
are not here to ask questions or interfere in any of his affairs.”

Wolfram and a few of the others in his company
all widened their eyes in surprise. The ram
bleated and then his snout split in what could
only be a smile. “Kashin of the Yeshuel? I heard
about you. I only ever saw you or Patriarch
Akabaieth from a distance, but... it is a great
honor to meet you.” He bowed his head low,
bumping his one horn against the back of his
horse's head. Most of the rest of his company
also showed them honor, the huge lizard-man in
the rear actually going down to one knee and
striking his breast with a fist bigger than Kashin's head.

“But let me introduce my men and then we can be
on our way.” The ram gestured behind him to the
man on his left. “This is Gweir who splits eyes
with his arrows, and this is Ross who splits
limbs with his axe. Behind them is Kindle our
mage, and Owain our tracker,” he gestured to the
boar-like man, “and Burkhart, who knows more ways
that I thought possible to mend split eyes and
limbs. And of course, Zachary, our diplomat; we
call him that because he can open any door.”

Kashin smiled at the brief but witty
introductions. “It is a pleasure to meet all of
you. I am sure we are in capable hands.”

“Good,” Wolfram said, slapping his left hand on
his thigh. “Then get back in your carriage and let's head to Metamor.”

----------

Wolfram's soldiers were friendly with them,
though there was a cautious regard for the two
warriors that could not be hid. The ram could not
hide his enthusiasm and awe at meeting Kashin and
kept asking for stories of his time in service to
the Patriarch, and especially how he brought
justice to the Patriarch's murderer. Kashin was
all too willing to share tales of his earlier
years but of the time since Akabaieth's murder he
could not speak as freely; Wolfram noted the way
his throat and hand clenched when asked of his
deeds during the darkness and soon stopped asking about them.

Ross, Owain, and Gweir kept as close as they
could to Sir Czestadt that they might interrogate
him on as many southern sword-fighting techniques
as they could. Riding on the carriage did make it
difficult for the knight to demonstrate his
skills so he assured them that if there was time
and they could find him again, he would be glad
to give them a private lesson during his stay. He
did ask them of their weapons and Ross, who gazed
at the foreign knight with a bit of awe, handed his blade over.

Czestadt turned the blade over in his right hand,
studying the haft and tang with a critical eye,
while he gently slid one of his fingers against
the cutting edge. All three of the soldiers gaped
at the way Czestadt effortlessly handled a blade
that Ross, despite his Curse-given strength, had
to wield two-handed. “A good blade,” Czestadt
noted even as he lifted it over his head and gave
it a few careful swings that came near none of
them. “Serviceable, but good if you take care of
it. It wants to be to be sharpened again, but the
metal is balanced and I would wager was folded a
few times at least. Were I to visit again in a
few years, I would not be surprised to see you using the same blade.”

“You can tell how many times the metal was
folded?” Ross asked, breathless as his large
hands clasped the pommel before sheathing the blade behind his back.

“Swords, real swords, speak to me in ways they do not to most men.”

“How can a sword speak?” Owain grunted, his snout
wrinkling and his bristles shivering.

Czestadt almost smiled as he spoke of that which
he loved as a man loves a woman. “The forest
speaks to one who knows it well. The sand speaks
to one who makes it their home. And the sea and
the ship speak to the sailor. To any who would
master the sword, the sword also will speak to
you. Give it time and you will learn the voice of your sword.”

“Well, as long as it doesn't actually start
speaking to me,” Ross murmured with a grunt. “My
brother told me about this mink lass who had a
sword that spoke to her. It made her do...
terrible things. So my brother says.”

“Your brother says anything he hears,” Gweir
noted with a heavy laugh. He was missing one
earlobe, but was otherwise entering into his
prime; this one had several years of soldiering
under his belt. That both Gweir and Ross had once
been women only occurred to Czestadt when they reached Metamor itself.

Riding alongside the carriage was the mouse who
peered down through the open window to speak with
his fellow mage. Hugo felt a powerful urge to
reach out and pet down the fur sticking up
between Kindle's large ears, as well as to give
his tummy a gentle scratch. While his fur
coloring was very different from Boots, as well
as the fact that he was obviously a mouse and not
a rat, the other similarities were strong enough
that he felt an affinity for this Keeper that
made him glad for the first time that he was here at Metamor.

“How has becoming a mouse affected your magical
ability, Kindle?” Hugo asked, finding it
difficult to keep his voice from betraying a strange affection.

“I'm not entirely sure,” Kindle admitted with a
wave of one paw. His thin, blonde-furred tail
darted from one flank of the horse to the other
as he shifted about in the saddle to talk more
comfortably with his fellow mage. “I was only an
apprentice for a few years when the curses were
cast and I became a mouse. If my teacher were
still alive he might be able to tell you what
changed. All that I know is that I must be extra
careful around ritual magic, especially
symphonies and other constructions with drawn
symbols. My tail has broken spell lines before.”

A light chuckle escaped Hugo's throat and he
nodded, eye moving to note the thin tail the
Curse had given Kindle. “I hadn't thought of
that. Does your tail drag behind you?”

“At first it did,” Kindle admitted as he turned
his head to cast a withering glance at his
beastly appendage. “But I learned with practice
to keep the end up and not just to protect the
integrity of spell lines. Dragging your tail on
the ground hurts, and it doesn't take long before
it starts to rub flesh tender and raw. The fur
protects it some but not enough.” His nose and
whiskers twitched and his cheeks scrunched closer
to his nose. “I smell a rat on you, Hugo.”

“That is Boots,” Hugo replied, reaching into his
tunic and drawing out the black-hooded white
booted rat. Boots squeaked in protest at which
Hugo said, “I know he is a very big mouse, but he
won't hurt you or me.” He smiled to the rat and
the rat turned its head to look directly at him.
The rat's whiskers trembled but the rest of his
body went still and seemed to relax.

“How adorable,” Kindle noted with a clicking of
his tongue against his incisors and a grinding of
his molars. “Boots is your familiar? I can see a connection between you.”

“Aye, he is. For about twenty years now. In all
that time we've never been more than a few minutes apart.”

Kindle reached out a hand and very gently ran the
rough callous of one finger down the soft fur
between the rat's tender ears. Boots sniffed at
Kindle's hand, little paws gripping his fingers
and inspecting his claws. “If you aren't
careful,” Kindle warned, “you might look an awful lot like Boots here.”

Hugo blinked but continued to hold his friend
high enough that the mouse mage could pet him.
“If I were to fall under the Curses of Metamor I
can think of nothing else I would rather be. But
we have no intention of staying so long as that.”

“There was a plague in Metamor last month,”
Kindle added. “No one was allowed to leave. Many
travelers trapped there were changed by the Curses against their will.”

“I had heard of the plague,” Hugo admitted with a
sigh, even as he finally lowered his arm, Boots
scampering up his sleeve to nose into his hair.
“By the time we heard of it we were hearing of its passing not its arrival.”

“Be grateful then,” Kindle added with a long,
slow shake of his head. Hugo sucked on his lip,
even as Boots rubbed his snout through his hair
as if washing off the scent of that big terrifying mouse.

On the other side of the carriage stalked the
massive reptile Zachary whose gaze was fixed upon
the Questioner priest with a warmth that seemed
natural to his guise. Akaleth regarded him with
an expression that would have betrayed awe if his
Questioner training had not made the concealment
of his inner emotions second-nature to him; but
the awe was obvious to any who knew him as his
eyes sparkled and he ravenously studied the
three-horned man from top to bottom several times
to take in his bulk. Zachary stood taller than
their carriage but did not lean over so much as
inclined his head and beak down.

“Welcome to Metamor Keep, Father Akaleth. My name
is Zachary and if you need additional protection
while you are here I will be honored to offer it.
Forgive me for saying so, but I am surprised to
see another Questioner come to Metamor so soon,
Father,” Zachary said in a voice that surprised
Akaleth. Not because it boomed or because of the
deep rumbling vibration that seemed to accompany
his words; the Curses of Metamor had certainly
made him something Akaleth had rarely seen, but
he had expected to see many similar marvels here
at Metamor. What he hadn't expected to find was a
layman who spoke with and acted with the utmost
respect toward a Questioner. Guilt filled him
briefly, but he chased that away with the stronger memory of forgiveness.

“Thank you, Zachary,” Akaleth replied with a nod
of his head before leaning back on his cushioned
seat to stare into the creature's face. Just one
of Zachary's eyes was bigger than both of the
priests's fists put together! “I am impressed by
your offer of protection, but I believe that your
duties to Metamor, and especially to your company
must take precedence. I'm sure that Wolfram would
appreciate your undivided loyalties.”

“I will do as you say, Father. May I ask what brings you to Metamor?”

“The saving of souls leads us where we are
needed, Zachary. And there is one soul here at
Metamor that I am interested in. Do you know
where Father Felsah can be found? We received
word that he arrived safely, but not what has become of him since.”

“Father Felsah is staying at the cathedral in
Metamor. He is helping Father Hough with the many
Followers who live there. Do you know him too?”

Akaleth had to admit that he already liked this
dragon-like creature and knew he would enjoy
their conversation. He may be in the body of a
giant, but he had a gentle, simple soul. What a beautiful sight to behold.

Of Wolfram's company, only Burkhart the deer did
not try to engage one of their guests in
conversation. The archer and healer followed
after the carriage while keeping a wary eye on
the woods on either side of the road the rest of
their way back to Metamor. The roads were
generally safe this close to Metamor, but there
was always some risk of trouble. But that day
they encountered nothing more serious than an
irate merchant whose carriage had run afoul of a
muddy ditch and needed some help getting unstuck.
One lift by Zachary and a push from Wolfram,
Owain, and Burkhart, and they were on their way again.

When they reached the gates of Euper Wolfram
apologized to Kashin. “We are supposed to be
escorting you, both to protect you from any one
who might not want another Questioner here, and
to keep you from coming near any Keepers who are
afraid of what you'd do to them.”

“We will do nothing to them,” Kashin assured him
though there was no fire in his voice. “But I
understand your duty. Be diligent and bring us to
where you have been ordered. We will obey.”

The people of Euper and Keeptowne all gave the
carriage and the soldiers a wide berth. Some
stared and whispered to their neighbors in worry.
Others ignored them or pretended to. A young man
only a year or two past his change hefted a
vegetable, but at the glare of the soldiers only
flung a sneer and a bit of spit toward the
carriage. They met no other trouble. Akaleth
watched all of this from his window, though he
focused his attention on the strange way that the
animal Keepers had to walk, talk, and otherwise
express themselves. He hadn't taken the time to
appreciate the beauty of their blended shapes the
last time he was here and he would not allow
himself to disdain it a second time.

By the time that they reached the gates nearest
the castle itself, the afternoon had worn on to
near its end. The prayers at None were past, but
it was still far too early for Vespers. Not that
Akaleth wouldhave had the opportunity for the
formal prayers as they were greeted by another
array of soldiers, this one headed by two
beast-men with crossed arms and dour, threatening
expressions. Wolfram blinked in surprise when he
saw them. “Misha! I've brought them here as you ordered. What's wrong?”

“Thank you, Wolfram,” Misha replied. He had the
giant midnight black axe Whisper in front of him
and the claws of one hand drummed the blade. “I
will commend your name to George for your
diligence. But there is something wrong. This
Questioner is to be kept confined during his
stay, and we will make sure it is a brief one.”

“A very brief one,” the raccoon standing at
Misha's side said through clenched teeth. Wolfram
recognized him as Rickkter only a moment later
and was quick to take a step back. He had heard
stories of what that one was capable of when
goaded to a rage. What had this Questioner done
to have so upset both Misha and Rickkter?

Miasha and Rickkter formed the apex of a ring of
Long Scouts that flanked the carriage on all
sides. The gate closed behind them, trapping them
in place. Beyond the ring of Longs stretched the
gardens and towers of Metamor Keep. Behind them
and atop the gatehouse archers stood with drawn
bows. Kashin and Czestadt turned their heads from
side to side and then lifted their hands, faces placid and unconcerned.

“I promised them safe passage,” Wolfram objected, clearly bewildered.

“And you kept your promise; they're here safe,”
Misha added as he started to walk toward the side
of the carriage. “Come on out, Questioner! We
will escort you the rest of the way.”

Akaleth sighed, deciding that he probably
deserved the suspicion, all the while trying to
remember just who this Misha was. As he climbed
down the steps, keeping his robe from tangling
around his legs, he recognized the fox as the
Rebuilder they'd Questioned who had answered them
through clenched teeth, except when Father Felsah
had asked about that metal fox Madog. He seemed
to recall some hideous bit of jocularity that
Kehthaek had enjoyed about what happened to
Questioners who went to Marigund and was grateful
that he had been spared that fate.

His feet no sooner touched the ground than a
massive green and brown figure stepped between
him and the two Keepers, thick legs and tail so
wide that Akaleth couldn't even see the castle anymore.

Misha growled. “Zachary, step out of the way. This does not concern you.”

“I will not let you harm him,” Zachary replied,
shifting not a muscle, not even to sway his tail,
the tip of which was barely a hand-span from Akaleth's knees.

Wolfram stood by Zachary's side, his shield over
his right arm and his gaze steely beneath a brow
of black wool. His sword remained in its
scabbard, but the fingers of his left hand
stretched wide ready to grasp the hilt. “This is wrong. He has done no harm.”

“Yet,” Misha growled, eying them both with that
quick way he had for assessing threats.

“If he does break Metamor's hospitality, I will
be among the first in line to throw him out,”
Wolfram countered with a steady voice free of
beastly bleats. “But until then, I won't let you
sully Metamor's reputation. Or, for that matter, your own!”

“Wolfram, Zachary,” Misha continued, his gaze
darkening. “You will step aside now.”

But neither ram nor the kharrakhaz would move.
Akaleth felt a smile touch the edge of his lips.
He stepped around to Zachary's side and put a
hand on the middle of his side, which was the
highest he could reach. “Step aside and let them
do their duty, Zachary. And you as well, Wolfram.”

“But Father!” Zachary objected, his voice pained.

“You have your duty. They have their duty. And I
have mine. It pleases Eli to see us answer our
duty with humility. Do yours and let them do theirs.”

Zachary grunted and carefully stepped out of the
way, his thick fingers drumming along the long
pommel to his sword. His tail bumped one of the
wheels and the carriage rocked back and forth a
moment. Wolfram lingered a moment more, his lips
trembling behind the shield a moment longer
before he nodded to the priest and joined the rest of his company.

Misha did not spare either the ram or the
kharrakhaz more than a moment's glare before
turning his ire back to Akaleth. He turned
Whisper back and forth in his paws. “What brings
you back to Metamor, Questioner?”

“That is not your concern. I am not here on a
Questioning nor do I intend to stay more than a
day or two. Please allow us to continue on our
way and I assure you that you will find us inoffensive guests.”

“You were not inoffensive on your last visit. And
from what I have heard you put the last place you visited into an uproar!”

“The guest can hardly be blamed for that when the
host who invited him treats him so poorly,”
Akaleth replied. “You were referring to Marigund were you not?”

“It is within our authority to have you carted
off in chains to the very Marchbourne river!”
Misha declared with a narrowing of his eyes and a
lowering of his one good ear. “Don't tempt me.”

“If you intended us to be in chains, you would
not have asked Wolfram to bring us here. What are your intentions?”

“As I said, you will be kept confined during your
stay somewhere that you won't cause trouble. The
rest of you may do as you wish.” Misha glanced at
the Yeshuel with the white lock of hair. “You are
well-remembered in this city, Kashin of the
Yeshuel, and as well regarded as this Questioner is rightly feared.”

“Wrongly feared!” Another voice shouted from the
carriage. Hugo jumped out the door and walked
right up to Misha, standing with a breath from
the sharp edge of Whisper's blade. “That
Questioner did nothing at Marigund, Misha! I,
loyal citizen of Marigund and member of its
vaunted Mage guild, conspired to have him killed!
Praise Eli I failed! He demanded to take the
lashes meant for me. Demanded! No man should ever
be afraid of this priest! Least of all you, Misha!”

Misha blinked in surprise, his ear lifting again
and his tail wagging once. “Hugo? You don't
understand! He did terrible things when he came here a year ago.”

“He's told me,” Hugo replied. “But that's not the
Questioner I know. That's not the man I know.”

Rickkter glared and put the end of a short
eastern sword at Hugo's throat. “Back away little man.”

Hugo appeared ready to do so when from out of his
tunic leaped a small black rat with white paws.
The rat bounced off the sword once and then
landed on Rickkter's paw, sinking teeth into the
soft flesh between thumb and fingers. The raccoon
yowled in surprise, shaking his hand up and down,
while Misha grabbed Hugo with his free paw and
throwing him to the ground. All of the soldiers
surrounding them moved in to help or to keep the
rest of the Questioner's party at bay.

But two sharp tangs of metal sliced through the
air and nestled themselves against flesh, one
before Misha's throat, and the other before
Rickkter's. The fox tried to twist out of the way
but the blade was fixed firmly in place. Rickkter
managed to dislodge the rat who scampered back to
where Hugo was crawling out of the way, before
sweeping his gaze up at the Yesbearn who sat
placidly with a scowl across his face.

And in the southern tongue, the raccoon shouted,
“Czestadt! Of all the people and in all the
places of the world, how by all the gods above
and below did we two end up in the same place on
the same day on the other side of the world and
on the other side of the swords! It's Rickkter! Of the Kankoran!”

The Yesbearn blinked at that and narrowed his
eyes. The blade pressed more firmly against
Rickkter's throat, but the only blood was that on
the raccoon's hand where he'd been bitten.
“Rickkter,” Czestadt replied in his native
speech, “so that is where you ended up. I heard
that you had left the Dragons; rumor has it you
were ill. Did you come here to Metamor for healing?”

“That I did. Is that whelp of a mage right about the Questioner?”

“He is. Father Akaleth will not hurt anyone and
will not Question anyone. Our purpose here is entirely benign.”

Rickkter's muzzle twisted down and then up, eyes
narrowing for a moment before he relaxed and
spread his arms wide. “I will lower my swords
then. If you will lower yours.” Czestadt nodded
and gestured for him to continue. Behind them the
archers moved around the gatehouse trying to find
some vantage point from which they could actually
shoot the Yesbearn, but the carriage was tall
enough that neither he nor Kashin could be seen.

The raccoon bent down, the sword at his neck
moving with him. He let the two eastern blades
clatter to the terrazzo, a sound that seemed to
echo into the Spring afternoon as if the sound of
life continuing apace and unawares on the other
side of the gate were on the other side of the
world. Slowly, Rickkter stood back up, keeping
his paws held out to either side. Everyone held
their breath, Misha growling in the back of his
mouth, one eye watching the raccoon curiously.

And then Rickkter snatched the pommel of the
sword at Misha's throat with one paw, diving
backward, even as the one at his throat leaped
forward to follow him. But Rickkter was able to
grab that as he tumbled head over heels backward,
rolling across the ground before landing on his
hind paws and shouting in Galendish, “Grab your
swords! He can't touch your swords if you hold them.”

Czestadt applauded and laughed. “You have learned
very well, Rickkter. And you even leave behind
swords that aren't swords at all so I cannot
touch them.” He gestured with a wave of one hand
at the two eastern swords laying crossed on the
ground where the raccoon had stood a moment
before. “Now don't you think threatening us when
we have done nothing is a foolish idea? Let us do
what we have come to do and we shall be gone even sooner.”

“Not until we have that priest,” Misha said even
as he ran one paw along his throat; several tufts
of fur came free where the sword had sheared
them. “And I think I want you under watch as
well. And Hugo, you too for that matter. My
sister has told me all about what you did when these three came to Marigund.”

“So you already knew that Father Akaleth begged
to take the blows meant for Hugo?” Kashin noted
in angry voice. “You disappoint me, Misha. When I
met you the first time, I judged you to be a man of good judgment.”

Misha appeared ready to snarl when they could
hear the sound of excited barking and two voices
shouting at them from the direction of the
castle. Zachary, who could see over everyone,
trumpeted in relief, “Father Hough! Father Felsah! Praise Eli you've come!”

Misha's good ear flicked in surprise as he heard the barking. “Madog?”

The Long Scouts and Wolfram's soldiers had long
since fallen out of any semblance of order and so
easily parted for the trio. Hough was at his
oldest the Curses would let him be, and he ran
alongside Madog who loped with more grace than a
metal creature should ever possess. The silver
automaton carried on his back a small creature in
a black robe with ears almost larger than his
head, a long tail with a tuft at the end, and
scrawny arms and legs. They came to a stop in
front of Misha. Madog leaned back on his haunches
and the jerboa scrambled off his back. Madog
looked at the fox and blinked his bright blue
eyes. “Poppa, I don't want you to go blind.”

“Blind?” Misha stammered, the anger in his face
evaporated into a mass of confusion and
uncertainty. “What are you talking about, Madog?”

“That priest is brighter than the sun, Poppa!”

Misha glanced at Akaleth who could only sigh and
shake his head. Rickkter glanced at the priest
his eyes narrowing to focus more clearly on him,
and then he doubled over both paws over his eyes.
“Oh, damn! Madog's not talking in riddles again,
Misha! Damn!” He rubbed at his eyes several more
times while everyone gave the priest a wider berth.

That is except for the jerboa who hopped toward
him and exclaimed, “Father Akaleth! You came!”

Akaleth glanced at the rodent and then laughed,
bending down and wrapping his arms about the
jerboa's shoulders. “Father Felsah! I am so
grateful to see such a friendly face here. I
never would have guessed Metamor would make you a desert mouse!”

“I take it you imagined me as a fennec instead?”

“It had crossed my mind,” Akaleth replied with
another laugh. “You must tell me of your new
home. From everything I have heard so far I will
be spending my brief stay in seclusion and that
won't allow us the chance for a proper tour.”

“Misha!” Father Hough said, waving his arms
around in exasperation. “What lunacy have you
been up to this time? These men should have been
welcomed with honor and not with axes and swords!
That man protects the Patriarch's life, and that
one is the former Knight Templar of the Driheli,
a noble order of knights from Stuthgansk, and
that one is the first Questioner in over a
hundred years to visit Marigund and not break any
of your homeland's laws! If you do not stop this
and let them go about their business, I will
protest this to Duke Thomas himself.”

“Poppa, please!”

“That priest threatened every single person he
met when he came here a year ago,” Misha snapped.
“He has no right walking free in this city ever again!”

“Then,” Akaleth said as he stood up again, “we
will leave. Now. Kashin. Sir Czestadt. Hugo. Let
us go. Wolfram, thank you for kindly bringing us
here. Zachary, I am sorry that we did not have
more time. Father Felsah, I am terribly sorry
that we couldn't speak more.” And after briefly
sketching the sign of the Yew, he climbed back into the carriage and sat down.

Felsah hopped around and glared at Misha, his
long tail flipping from side to side in
agitation. “Father Akaleth has come to speak with
me and me alone. I would appreciate if you would
be so kind as to allow him to stay with us in the
Cathedral for a few days, no more than that. We
will see to his needs and you need not fear him doing anything to anyone.”

“I promise you he will bother no one,” Hough
assured him, though the boy priest still glared
in irritation at the soldiers assembled there.

Misha looked down at Madog who sat on his
haunches staring back at him. The leader of the
Long Scouts lowered his free paw and gently
stroked the automaton behind the ears three
times. “They can stay in the Cathedral. I'll
reserve judgment about whether that priest is a
threat to anyone. If I hear that he has so much
as even looked at screw, a whip, or a manacle, I
will...” Misha seemed as if he would finish that
sentence for several seconds, but he finally gave
up and turned away from the Ecclesia priests to check on his friend.

“Are you all right?”

Rickkter nodded and blinked his eyes several
times until they could focus. He kept one paw
against his forehead to shield his eyes from the
sun. “I will be fine.” And then in a quieter
voice he added, “Misha, that priest, if he lowers
his defenses... he's nothing but pure light. I
don't understand it. He has magical talent, and
he bottles it up very, very deep. I don't think
we want to see it unleashed.” Rickkter shook his
head and stepped away from the fox. “Later then.”

Misha nodded and turned to Hough. The boy priest
stood tall, a sympathetic look in his eyes, but a
sternness to his lips. “Father, forgive me for
treating your guests so poorly. Wolfram will help
you escort them to the Cathedral. I will go tend
to something... actually important.”

“Thank you, Misha,” Hough said with a bow of his head.

Misha continued shaking his head as he started
walking off. Madog fell into step beside him. One
fox looked at another and once they were almost
out of earshot of the carriage, Misha asked, “Since when do you give rides?”