[Mkguild] Regarding "Covenants"

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Fri Mar 29 02:35:27 UTC 2013

Hi Hallan,

I can certainly understand where you are coming from as the plotline
with the Tened is rather new and carries with it some weighty
theological pronouncements.  Christof had to do some convincing of me
that this was a good idea and we had quite a few discussions on the
topic, some give and take, and so forth before we ended up where we
are.  Now I think Christof also provided you answers that you found
acceptable.  I think I will elaborate on some of that and try to
address a few points that I'm not sure were addressed.

First off, the idea that the Tened would be worshiping Eli really
shouldn't be that outlandish.  After all, Abraham worshipped God
before the Jewish people came to be.  In fact, the idea of a Jewish
people didn't come to be until well after the Kingdom of Israel
split, and even then properly speaking not until the Babylonian
exile.  Before that they were the Hebrew peoples.  But in some ways
that is splitting hairs.  The primary point is that God has revealed
Himself in many ways throughout our own history; there is no reason
to suppose Eli would not do the same in our fictional setting.

Also, from a literary point of view, if the people of C.S. Lewis's
Peralandra haven't even Fallen yet, or the people of Narnia have
Aslan, then we should find it equally believable that the Tened
worshipped Eli, guided by their guardian Troud, or that prior to the
arrival of the aedra/daedra the other races also knew Eli to one
degree or another.  After all, if Eli is the creator even of the
aedra and daedra, then it stands to reason that there would be some
places in the world that would know of Him.  To have Eli come onto
the scene only after the Lightbringers were around strikes me as implausible.

As to Eli not acting to preserve the Tened, I think we find numerous
examples in Christian history of people who suffered greatly for the
faith only to end up dying cruel and miserable deaths.  The parade of
martyrs that comes down to us from the Patristic Age, as well as many
of the more recent examples (St. Maximillian Kolbe comes to
mind).  By enduring martyrdom, they won even greater merit for
themselves in Heaven, and their blood sowed the seeds of other
Christians.  And the prayers of the Tened were heard, but the answer
had to wait for the right time and that time has come with the
transformation of Jacob's family into true Tened, as well as Troud's
confession to Felsah that cleansed him of his own stains.

As to the entire race remaining faithful... I read a book called "Age
of the Martyrs" in which is recounted how in some areas of the Roman
Empire the Christians who buckled under the torture were still
sentenced to death.  They went to their deaths miserable and
despairing, whereas those who had not buckled sang hymns and praised
God.  For a similar sort of scene, I recommend "For Greater
Glory".  A young boy is tortured because he helps the Cristeros and
will not deny Christ.  His uncle begs this boy to deny Christ so that
he can come home and live.  Even moments before he is cruelly slain
the boy smiles and proclaims, "Vivo Cristo Rey!"  Long live Christ
the King!  The uncle cannot even face, but in despair walks away, now
dead on the inside.

So if there were Tened who decided to buckle under the disease and
death, I can see Tallakath killing them all anyway in a fit of pique.

That said, what are your ideas on what the aedra/daedra side of the
story would be?  We'd love to hear your ideas. :-)