[Mkguild] MK Story Taking account part 3 - finale

christian okane chrisokane at optimum.net
Tue Nov 12 08:17:27 UTC 2013

Here is part 3 - the last part!

Chris

The Lurking Fox

   Both the Knightmaster and the legate waited till the room was empty of
all but themselves before speaking again.

   "I have ordered the Questioners and Yesbearn out of all our lands,"
Kenward said. "At least until we can understand what happened. I have also
requested for both to meet me to explain their actions in the recent war."

   "You do not have the authority for that," Tuscus pointed out in measured
tones.

   "I do not care," the senior knight growled. "We have failed in our duties
once. I will not let it happen again. I WILL get an explanation from them
and I will see justice done."

   "What happened to them?"

   "We have not traced their trail of destruction but we have received word
that all the Questioners were capture by the Duke," knight responded.

   "I see. At least their murderous attacks have finally stopped," Tuscus
noted drily. Others would see to the reform of those orders. "But the chaos
they helped create is immense."

   "Agreed but they did not do it all themselves," the knight said. "A lot
of the Followers in the Midlands openly and cheerfully helped. I don't
believe all the Questioners took part but understanding what happened in
this recent war will not be easy."

   "What of the Questioners themselves?" The legate asked.

   "I have little so far," Kenward answered. "But it is too soon to know
anything solid. All I have is rumor and hearsay. Until I have the facts I
cannot condemn them or exonerate them. But I WILL speak with them and find
out the truth."

   "Finding the truth is never easy," the legate commented.

   "I've ordered patrols out everywhere to restore the peace," Kenward said.
"Not just from here but in all of our holdings. I have made sure that ALL
lives are protected regardless of who they are or where they are in the
Southern Midlands. The brothers are not to take sides in any fighting. They
are to end it. No excuses. No exceptions. But we have only a small number of
brothers and a large area to control."

   "A wise move. Even a small number of knights will help keep the peace.
How many have died?" The legate asked.

   "We lost a score of brothers and twice that of lay brothers. Most of the
combatants avoided the Brothers. They did not want to fight us openly. We
have no idea of the number of civilian deaths," Kenward answered. "I'm not
sure I want to know but it will be heavy. We are trying to help where we can
but again we are just a small group. There is only so much we can do."

   "What of the Duke?" The official asked. "Has the Duke contacted you?"

   "Duke Verdane has requested an audience with me in Kelewair. I assume
that you will be accompanying me."

   "I will," Legate Tuscus replied. "I have many questions to ask him and to
ask of Bishop Ammodus' household. I am sure he has many to ask us."

   "It will not be a pleasant visit," Kenward commented. "The Duke has never
been favorably inclined to the Order being in his lands. Once, some years
ago we were asked to mediate in a dispute and we judged against him. And
after recent events he will be even more unpleasant."

   "Oh?" Tuscus asked.

   "Aside from the destruction and death of the civil war, Duke Otakar of
Salinon has taken the fealty of Bozojo. But worse he has also lost his son
to Salinon as well."

   "Bozojo?"

   "Bozojo is on the northern edge of the Southern Midlands," came the
explanation. "It's a rich land with control over important trade routes. The
order tries to stay out of such political games but we do monitor all
politics carefully. Even so this move came as a surprise to us."

   "Squabbles over land have plagued all rulers, but the abduction of his
son... that is something else entirely," the legate noted sadly. "Still,
both Dukes are well known to be ambitious."

   "Too ambitious. What of the new bishop?" Kenward asked. "The one to
replace Ammodus? Has he been named?"

   "The Patriarch chose Tyrion Verdane," he replied.

   "Tyrion Verdane?" Kenward said, surprised. "Isn't he the younger son of
Duke Verdane?"

   The official nodded. "He is, but he is also a devout and honest man."

   "He has my sympathies," the knight said. "Taking up such a posting will
not be easy."

   "Have you met him yet?"

   "Once I believe. He has an affliction of the foot does he not?"

   "Aye, he was born with a clubfoot. He too will be in Kelewair."

   Kenward swallowed and then took a deep breath. "There will be a lot to
discuss. As there shall between us. For now, you must be fatigued from your
journey. I will have Arveline show you to the quarters prepared for you."

   "One thing first," Tuscus said with a lifted finger. "What happened to
Brother Karlis?"

   Kenward's eyes narrowed, and he made the sign of the yew over his chest.
"When we found his body... beneath the rubble... there was... was... no
blood. Neither beneath the stones that crushed him, nor in his flesh. None."

   Tuscus felt a cold shiver race up his spine. "I see..." was all he could
say.

   "We have had the place where he died cleansed both physically and
spiritually," the Knightmaster commented. "We we are keeping a close watch
on his body in case something unnatural occurs."

   "You expect something to happen?" The legate asked.

   "We have dealt with the undead enough in the past to understand the
precautions we need to take. Our Knight-brother will rest in peace."

"I will pray for his soul. And for the Order. We will discuss much more in
the days ahead. One last question. About the order and marriage," the legate
asked.

   Kenward scowled. "Twice the Order petitioned the Patriarch about altering
the rules to allow marriage. And both times the response was the same. A
priest came who asked a lot of harsh questions and made vague threats. A
priest that had never been in the Midlands before and one who quickly left
and never came back."

   "And there was never an official decision on the request?" The legate
asked.

   Kenward shook his head. "Never."

   Tuscas slowly nodded his head. "And you took it on yourselves to decide
the issue?"

   "We had already waited ten years. How long were we supposed to wait?" the
Knight responded coldly. "A decision had to be made."

   "The simple fact is we need those knights," Kenward said calmly. "We do
not have the luxury of choosing from a large host of applicants. The married
knights give a steady supply of applicants. Applicants we would get no other
way. The Midlands is not like Pyralia. Here only half the people are
Followers and a portion of those are Rebuilders. Within a week's ride of
here we have Followers, Rebuilders, Predecessors, Lightbringers and
scattered groups that simply defy easy classification. All are uneasy and
even openly hostile to each other. Every village could be friendly and every
village could be hostile. Often we don't know which until someone starts
shooting arrows at us. The Dukes and nobles are constantly fighting and
bickering and  there is always the ever present threat of Elderwood."

   What had seemed so simple to the Father Tuscus - a betrayal of the
order's oaths was now more confused than before. The knights words made
sense and it was clear the decision had not been made in haste. But still
doing so without approval was a breach of the code. He pushed those thoughts
aside, that matter was a small thing compared to the real problems. "And
what of Marigund?"

   "Marigund ironically enough is quiet," the knight responded with a wry
smile. "It was the only land not effected in the recent fighting."

   "Do you have knights in Marigund?" Tuscus asked.

   "No, officially the order avoids sending anyone there. But we do have
certain," Kenward paused and pondered his next words. "Friends who see to
the order's needs there."

   "Does the cardinal know of these friends?"

   "Of course but such information is kept secret."

   "So you have spies in Marigund?"

   "No," came the answer with a shake of the head. "They are not spies.
Those people are there to help keep the peace between the different groups.
Something best done quietly. Do you understand the uproar there would be if
it was even suspected that one of our order was there? So our best strategy
to keep the peace in Marigund is to keep our distance."

   "So you help keep order in Marigund by staying out of the country?" The
legate asked, a little confused.

   "Yes," Kenward answered simply. "If we were to move brothers in to help
maintain order it will actually make things worse."

   The legate sighed. There was a certain, odd, twisted logic to that
strategy. "Is nothing here clear?"

   Kenward laughed "Nothing in the Midlands is clear and easy. It's not as
simple as earth and water. Everything here is muddy mess. Knowing the right
choice is never easy here. And sometimes you never know."

******************

   The legate was unsure what to expect when he walked into the chapel. He
had heard the rumors that the order only claimed poverty but was actually
extremely wealthy with the gold and silver hidden away behind fortress
walls. The one legend spoke of chapels of pure gold and pews of the finest
wood with cushions of silk and damask.

   He was relieved to find the interior well lit and normal if a little
Spartan. The pews were of a light colored wood and possessed no cushions,
just bare, hard wood. The altar itself was a block of dark colored stone and
bore a simple cross carved into the front. A cloth of dark blue edged with
gold covered the top. The cloth and carved cross were the only decorations
he could see in the entire chapel. On top of the altar cloth were two plain,
brass candlesticks each holding a simple, white, burning candle. In the
center was a large, foot tall crucifix made of yew wood. The walls bore no
decorations and the ceiling had a mural of various scenes from the
Scriptures that seemed rather drab. He had never been in a house of worship
so plain. Even a simple chapel in the poorest village had some decorations.
Often made by the villagers themselves and carved or painted with care and
devotion. Often every inch was decorated in some way but this place was
bare. The legate was reminded that the order took the rules of simplicity
and humility very seriously. Tuscus took a spot at the rear and waited
silently.

   Quietly the Knightbrothers filed into the building and each took their
place in a pew without making a sound. In the lead was the Knightmaster
himself. All were wearing simple robes of blue with the cross on the chest.
It was the first time the legate had seen a brother not wearing full armor.

   The man who stepped up to the altar was wearing a cassock and white robes
and had a cross dangling from a string around his neck. This was no
Knightbrother but a full ordained priest.

   The legate looked at the people assembled in the chapel in front of him.
Gone were the accoutrements of war. No weapons or armor were visible on the
people arrayed in front of him. All Tuscus saw were heads bowed in devout
prayer. He could have been in a monastery or a church back Yesulam and seen
no difference. The priest started to speak and the legate put aside his
thoughts and turned his mind to the service.

******************

   The only person in the room when Edmund arrived was the duke himself. The
last meeting had been in the Duke's throne room. This time it was in the
audience chamber. It was a smaller room with a table and chairs and little
else. It had a far more relaxed feeling then the throne room.

   The stallion Duke stood up, "Thank you for coming."

   Edmund bowed formally to Duke Thomas. "Thank you for seeing me sire."

   "I have decided to allow the order to continue in its plans for Fulgar."
Thomas leaned forward and placed an envelope onto the table within reach of
Edmund. "This letter gives your order the rights and dues of ownership by my
permission."

   The paladin took the envelope and opened it. He read the letter slowly
and carefully and pondered the contents within. The order did get control of
the castle and its accompanying town but only at the Dukes agreement. It
meant that the Duke had legal power of control above the order. It was a
subtle but important point. He was sure that murderous bat Andwyn would keep
a close eye on the Order and probably cause his usual havoc and mayhem. But
that was a future problem. What was most important was that Thomas had
legally confirmed the Order's right to openly station troops and conduct
it's affairs in the Northern Midlands. He had to repress the urge to smile
and to keep his tail from moving in delight. The Knightmaster would be
pleased with how well the negotiations had gone. "Thank you Lord Thomas."

******************

   Knightmaster Kenward looked at the knights-brothers in front of him.
"This is the most difficult decision I have ever had to make. But these are
difficult times. None of you are guilty of committing any crimes against
innocents but you are guilty of not stopping others from doing so. For that
you are all found guilty, for we ARE our brothers keepers and even a
Lightbringer is still one of the Great Ones children and deserve our
protection. You are all reduced in rank to Brother-initiate. As
Brother-initiates you are to proceed to Castle Chough to reaffirm your vows
and perhaps in two or three years you will earn the rank of Knight Brother.
Again."

   "But what happened here is my fault," Knightmaster Kenward said solemnly.
"As the leader of the order it is my task and duty to lead and guide all the
brethren on the right path. In that I have failed. Therefore I order myself
reduced in rank to Knight brother and name Senior Knight Commander Sir Jacob
Harrick to the rank of Knightmaster in my place."

The End