[Mkguild] MK story - Killing the General part 1

christian okane chrisokane at optimum.net
Sun Nov 17 20:00:35 UTC 2013

Here is the long overdue sequel to Second Steps - Unexpected Connections
which you can find here
http://metamorkeep.com/story/Second_Steps_or_Unexpected_Connections.php   It
picks up right after the other story ends.

I am still working on a good title! For those who don't understand the
references - Selig appeared in Winter Assault
http://metamorkeep.com/story/wa/cover.php

Chris

The Lurking Fox

Killing the General - Again

by Christian Okane

   The room was quiet. Misha walked in and sat down at the table across from
George who had arrived only moments before. Spread on the table was a large
map of Metamor Valley and the Giantdowns.

   "How is Finbar?" Thomas asked softly. The stallion was seated at the end
of the table

   "He's quiet," Misha answered softly as he settled into a chair.

   The duke leaned forward. "Is that good or bad?"

   The fox morph shrugged. "I'm not sure. Danielle has managed to calm him
down considerably."

   Misha reached for a  cup and a pitcher filled with a red liquid that was
resting in front of George. He sniffed the contents of the pitcher and then
poured some into the empty cup. He took a long drink of the red wine before
talking. "How did the rest of the greeting go after Finbar ran out?"

   George took back the pitcher and filled another cup full of wine and
sipped from it. "Quiet. We got through the usual introductions easy enough."

   "It must have been a serious shock to find out he has a Lutin half
brother," The stallion said.

   "It is. He is still trying to accept the fact that he is half lutin," the
fox commented. "Now he finds out he has a half brother."

   "How long has he known he was a half lutin?" Thalberg asked. The
alligator morph was seated in a chair close to Thomas.

   "He's always known," George responded. "It was no secret that his mother
was raped. It's just that Finbar has never truly accepted that he was half
lutin."

   "We spoke of it only once," Misha explained. "And we agreed to never
mention it again."

   The Duke slowly nodded his head. "How long have you known he was a half
lutin?"

   "Since a week after I considered having him join the Longs," was the
response as the scout relaxed in the chair.

   "Did his half lutin nature affect your thinking?" Andwyn asked in a
seemingly casual tone.

   "No," Misha leaned forward and gazed at the bat with a cold, hard glare.
"Should it have?" Was the vulpine's question in a soft whisper.

   "Of course not," Thomas said in a stern tone. "But I'm not worried about
Finbar," the stallion explained. "I AM worried about his brother. What is
this chieftain's intentions? And do you have more information on him? Who is
he?"

   Andwyn leaned over the map and pointed to several spots as he spoke. "He
controls an area of the western Giantdowns from Politzen north to the
Arabarb pass. And from the Dragon mountains to the Death mountains."

   George pointed to spots on the map with the cup filled hand. The wine in
the cup splashed around but never spilled over. "He has the Dragon mountains
behind him to secure his back but his flanks are exposed. His biggest threat
is Nasoj which is why he's probably trying to make friends with us."

   "The enemy of my enemy is my friend," Thalberg muttered.

   "Sometimes the enemy of my enemy is also my enemy," the bat responded
instantly.

   "True," George slowly. "But he can be useful."

   "Agreed," the bat answered.

   "He seems to be the latest in a long line of warlords trying to carve a
kingdom for themselves," Misha said and took another drink of wine.

   Thomas gave a snort. "How long will he last?" Thomas asked. "The
Giantdowns has seen a long line of petty tyrants."

   "No way to tell," Andwyn answered. "He seems better at it than previous
ones."

   "He understands that diplomacy involves more than killing people till
they agree to his demands," Misha commented with a nod of the head.

   "I've met a lot of humans who've never figured that out," George joked
sarcastically.

   Thomas leveled his gaze at Misha. "I am hosting a banquet for Lord Kelrag
tonight. Be sure Finbar is there, sober and without any weapons that can
make him dangerous."

   "Finbar is dangerous any time," Misha responded. "Even without a weapon.
I'm not sure we can be certain he is unarmed. Finbar is very good at hiding
weapons on himself."

   "Can you be sure he behaves?" Thomas asked in hard tones.

   "Danielle will be there to keep him in line," the fox answered. "She
usually can get him to behave."

   "I know someone who can keep him in line," George said without looking up
from the map. "Annelise."

   The hackles went up on the back of Misha's neck and his one remaining ear
was laid back against his head. "Not her!"

   Andwyn gave a hiss and shook his head. "Not her."

   "Who is Annelise," Thomas asked a little surprised by Misha and Andwyns's
reaction.

   "She is the toughest person I've ever met. A real survivor," George said
without really answering the stallions question. "She's killed more Lutins
than Misha."

   Misha nodded his head slowly. "She's also Finbar's mother."

**************

   "HOW COULD THEY LET THAT THING IN HERE!" Finbar shrieked. The ferret
morph was waving his arm as he paced back and forth in the apartment he
shared with Danielle.

   As agitated as he was the pine marten morph was calm. Danielle was
standing out of arm's reach watching the love of her life from a distance.
"We can't keep ignoring them."

   "We're not ignoring them, we're killing them!" He countered without
stopping.

   "This isn't about all the Lutins," Danielle said quietly. ""It's only
about one; Kelrag."

   "One Lutin is like all the rest," Finbar snarled as he waved his arms
about, slashing at imaginary Lutins with imaginary weapons. "And they all
deserve to die."

   She took a step closer. "He is your brother and you need to understand
that. Accept that. If you don't face him now things will get worse. It will
remain in the back of your mind festering like the untended wound it is."

   "NO!" Finbar snarled as he waved his arms about. "He's no kin of mine.
No. Not now! Not ever!"

   She walked up to him and placed both hands on his shoulders. Finbar's
wild gesturing instantly came to a halt. "He is your half brother," Danielle
said simply. "And no amount of screaming and yelling will change that."

*************

   Annelise looked deceptively innocent from a distance. Standing by the
door was a young girl who looked to be about twelve or thirteen years old
and was wearing a pretty blue dress with bows and lace all over. She looked
to be the very picture of innocence but when a Lutin passed she stared at
him with a hard steely, searing gaze that looked out place on a face so
young. Her hand slipped down to her belt in a move Misha recognized as a
reflex action to grab a weapon.

   Misha stepped up to the woman, putting himself between her and the lutin.
"Annelise!" He said trying to sound cheerful and still stay out of arms
reach. "Thank you for coming! It's good to see you!"

   The woman's hard gaze fell on the fox and he saw the steel hard look on a
face as cold and unforgiving as granite. Then just as suddenly that face
brightened into a warm smile. "Misha. It's good to see you!"

   Misha hugged the woman gently taking the opportunity to run his hands
along her belt to be she wasn't carrying any weapons. "I'm glad you came!"
He said honestly.

**************

   Things in the hall were fairly tense for understandable reasons. Both
sides of the hall were lined with tables piled high with food and drink. The
tables on one side of the hall held a long line of various Keepers. The
tables on the opposite side held many lutins and a small ogre. Between the
two groups was a large open slice of floor, only populated by servants who
moved though with haste. And one end of the hall was a large table. Sitting
side by side at that table was Thomas and Kelrag. Even between the two
leaders was several feet of open table. The emotional chill in the air was
as palpable as the tension. The two groups were staring at each other as if
expecting an attack.

   "This is going badly," Misha muttered. He was sitting to one side of
Thomas at the end table. Next to him was George and Terry.

   George waved his hand and a leopard Keeper came walking over to him. The
canine whispered an order to the maitre d' .

   "Sir?" The leopard asked as he cocked his head to one side.

   "You heard me right. One for everyone," George responded. "See to it
now!"

   The leopard started giving orders that send the serving staff scurrying.

   Terry leaned closer to George. "What are you doing?" The woman asked.

   "Lightening things up," came the answer.

  Finbar looked at the lutin chief. Kelrag was locked in an animated
discussion with George. He decided to ignore the greenskin and concentrate
on his meal. He reached down to the table to pick up his knife and came up
with a spoon instead. The scout looked down at the table to locate his
errant utensil. The ferret morph saw two forks, three spoons and a napkin
holder made of wood but no knife. "Where's my knife?" He asked out loud.

   "You don't need one dear," Danielle said softly and patted him on the
wrist.

   "How am I supposed to cut my food with no knife," he reached for one of
the knives usually on his belt but those were gone. He remembered that Misha
had deliberately taken the weapon from him. He had taken ALL of Finbar's
knives leaving the ferret feeling naked. What really annoyed Finbar was that
George had located all his weapons; even his six hidden blades.

   THUMP! A large, extremely sharp dagger landed in the table with its point
buried deep into the wood. The hilt wobbled back and forth. Finbar had to
pull a few times before he yanked the blade free. "Thank you Mom!" He said
cheerfully.

   "I thought you searched her for weapons," Thomas said coldly keeping his
eyes on Finbar and not looking at Misha.

   "We did," the fox answered nervously. "Twice."

   "Three times," Andwyn added without taking his eyes off the female. "It
seems we missed a few things."

   "I'm surprised you never recruited her Andwyn," Thomas commented dryly.

   "I tried," the bat answered. "Three times."

   "And I tried twice," Misha added. "She didn't actually say no but the
foot long dagger she threw at me made her answer clear."

   "She was happy to do work for me," George said calmly between swallows of
wine.

   "How did you convince her?" Terrant asked.

   "I paid for a nurse to watch her children so she could go do her favorite
past time," the scout leader explained. "Kill lutins."

   A whole host of the servers came into hall, each carrying a tray loaded
down with mugs of some dark liquid. They swiftly and efficiently moved among
all the guests; human, Lutin and otherwise giving each a mug.

   When the last server had finished George stood up and rapped on the table
with a ring covered finger. The room fell silent. He lifted his mug. "I'd
like to say something profound," The canine said and paused. "But I can't
think of anything. So I propose a toast to good food and getting drunk!"

   "HERE! HERE!" Misha shouted in agreement and took a long drink from his
mug. Only a few others in the room followed suit.

   George turned to the tables filled with Keepers and then to those
opposite. "Drink up!" He said in a loud voice friendly voice. "NOW!" He
finished in a tone ringing with the cold steel of command.

   Slowly the Keepers and Lutins responded and started drinking.

   One Keeper, a young looking cougar took a big swallow then spit it out.
He bent over the table coughing and sputtering. "Holy crap, what is that?"
He managed between coughs.

   "It's a little concoction I learned in Swindale from the centaurs,"
George answered. "It's one part ale, one part beer and the rest is a drink
called vodka. It's a real man's drink! Drink up. Unless you're afraid."

   The drinks vanished slowly. The drinkers on both sides tried to not break
out in coughing and choking. The tension in the room eased as all present
concentrated on their drink and trying to not embarrass themselves too much.

   More drinks were bought but thankfully they were just beer and diluted
wine. Those went down soon enough. "Yarduf val shumdal," George started
singing a song loudly.

   Misha listened to the words for a moment and his eyes grew wide. Several
lutins smiled and joined in. Quickly the tension eased and the atmosphere
grew more relaxed.

**************

   Several hours later Misha and the rest of the Longs were in his office.
The banquet had gone well enough. Several hours of good food, good drink and
bad singing had left them all a little tired and relieved.

   Caroline touched Misha on the arm. "Misha. we have a guest."

   The girl was standing in the doorway to Misha's office. Her body was as
rigid as a sword blade. Her glare was fixed upon the fox with the intensity
of a hunter tracking prey.

    "Everybody out," Misha ordered slowly.

   The others quickly filed out but Caroline hesitated. The fox hugged the
love of his life and kissed her. "I'll be fine. Go, we need to work this
out." Slowly the otter left the room keeping her eyes on Annelise till she
was out of sight. Only Misha, Finbar and Annelise were left.

   "Out means you too Finbar," Misha ordered.

   "But . . ."

   "Do as he says dear," Annelise said slowly in a frigid voice without
taking her eyes off of Misha.

   Slowly, very slowly the ferret left the room. Each step taken with the
greatest reluctance. He stood at the door for a long time before turning and
leaving. It seemed an eternity as the door slowly swung shut. It finally
came to rest with a soft click.

   "YOU TRICKED ME," the woman snarled. "How dare you let that THING near
me."

   "Tricked you?" Misha answered in a calm tone. "You were freely invited to
the banquet."

   "I didn't know that thing would be there."

   "Oh yes you did," Misha said slowly. "The whole valley knew that Kelrag
would be there. Everyone was talking about it."

   "I don't pay attention to petty gossip," Annelise growled with a
dismissive wave of the hand.. "I didn't know he would be there."

   "Didn't know?" He said and leaned closer. "Or didn't want to know.
Perhaps a part of you wanted to meet this Lutin. To be honest I'm surprised
you came at all."

   "You should be glad I didn't kill him," she snarled.

   Misha leaned back in his chair. "Why didn't you kill him? And don't lie
to me about you not having the chance to. Maybe you didn't want to kill him.
Perhaps you wanted to reach beyond the hate and the killing."

   Her face twisted into one of pure, blood red rage. "I ONLY WANT HIM DEAD!
ALL OF THEM. DEAD!" Her whole body was shaking rage as her hands reached for
her belt.

   "Keep your hands in sight girl," Misha ordered ominously, baring his
teeth as he did.

   "Are you threatening me?" There was an evil glimmer in her eyes and her
face was a hard as stone.

   Misha kept both of his empty hands in plain sight. "Let go of the past.
Selig is dead. Your son killed him."

   "He's still alive in my nightmares," she said coldly. "He always will
be." With those words she turned around and stormed out.