[Mkguild] Birth IV & V

Alex Green alexsurikat at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 08:20:43 UTC 2014

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 6:08 PM, Jack Moore <jackthefrilledlizard at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> AN: This would have gone up days ago but...life. Due to formatting
> problems with IV, resubmitting it. This is the end of it.
>
> March 17th, 707
>
> "Is he awake?"
>
> "I think so."
>
> I could hear voices. I scrunched my eyes closed as hard as I could. Wait,
> how can I feel this? I had been in a room with a ragman, now I felt like I
> was waking up.

Congratulations, you're alive.

> "Yep awake. Let's say hello."
>
> "You'll scare him. Let him wake up naturally." Two voices and I recognize
> neither. My sleepy brain filled in the blanks for me. Obviously, I'd been
> kidnapped and was being held hostage by two people for reasons I did not
> know.
>
> Now when you think you've been kidnapped, there is an easy way to tell. If
> for example, you are laying in a soft bed with your head wound treated,
> you've probably not been kidnapped.
>
> Statements like this are what qualify me to control a city.

I'm glad to see there are at least some standards.

> I could still feel my arms, but not move them. The two voices were talking
> but I felt a barrier between us.
>
> If you think you're qualified and your kidnappers are torturing you by
> putting you in a warm soft bed, you have several options. You can scream
> for help, that's always a popular one. You can try to escape. Or you can
> stealthily throw your arm around looking for something to hit them with.

If I can't see them, they can't see me.

> "What is he doing?"
>
> "I think he's looking for something to hit you with."
>
> [...]
>
> I felt the urge to open my eyes but tried to suppress it. Hot breath
> rolled across my face, I scrunched my nose. The urge to see what
> overwhelming. Can't keep the world out anymore. I opened my eyes.
>
> "Hi." A massive green scaled thing stared back at me. Okay, no need to
> panic James. Just react the most calm and rational way you can.
> "Die!"

The calm rational thoughts of a future ruler.

> I threw up my arms and reigned blows upon him.

Go future lord. Rule over those blows. (It's rained, in fact Google's
example sentence for the word is almost exactly this sentence minus the
first clause)

> I put all of my energy into every punch, making sure he felt my pain.
> "Feel the agony!" The green lizard man looked at the other figure and
> shrugged. "Why won't you die?"

Because he's not quite as fragile as you are.

> "A few reasons." I pounded away at the invincible lizard man. "You can
> stop now."
>
> "Never! I will escape this kidnapping!"
>
> "We're not kidnapping you." The lizard said.
>
> "Lies!"

Stick to the classics when it comes to uncomfortable truths. Deny
everything! You'll make a great leader.

> "Why would we want to?" The raccoon man asked. I tired pounding the
> lizard's
> face now. My problems included having no energy to fight, no plan of
> attack, no
> experience in fighting and no hope in general. "Cope knock him back down,
> he's going
> to hurt himself."
>
> "Alright." The lizard placed one finger between my eyes and pushed me
> down. I
> struggled valiantly under that finger.
>
> "Do not touch me!"

That's right, make lots of noise. Maybe you'll scare it off.

> "He's a grateful patient." The second speaker came closer, this one a
> raccoon
> an. 'Maybe I can beat him to death.'
>
> [...]
> When someone has done something nice for you like say, healed your nearly
> fatal
> head wound, there are several ways to react. The right way is to show
> gratitude. The
> wrong way is to follow my example.

Really? But you've been setting such an excellent example so far.

> "I'm done resting and this place smells like a barnyard." Because you
> usually see
> lizards and raccoons around barns moron.

Hey! It's no fun picking on you if you're just going to do it for me. (Also
not really relevant, but Chrome's spellchecker doesn't think "raccoons" is
a word and is suggesting I replace it with "accordions".)

> "I want to leave and I want to leave now.
> Where is this place?"
>
> "This is Metamor Keep, you—
>
> "I do not want to hear anything else!" I snapped. "This is the cursed
> place!"

Yes, that has been established. Good to see that your head wound is
healing.

> "Well yes and—
>
> "You will escort me out now." I said. "I won't hear another word!"
>
> "You're going to have too." The raccoon said. "My name is—
>
> "Don't care."

No wonder you're so bad with names.

> Now they both were looking annoyed.
>
> "You may call me Coe." The raccoon mumbled something else under his
> breath.
>
> "I'm a raccoon morph as you can tell, kind of a—
>
> "Don't care!"

Excellent people skills.

> [...]
>
> "I do not have to speak to you." I said. Yep James, just keep working
> those
> people skills. That'll endear you to many a reader.

Stop stealing my thunder.

> "I want to leave and you will escort
> me out immediately."
>
> "Okay your family will be coming here." The lizard said. "You just have to
> wait.
> My name is Copernicus, yours is James correct?"

At least someone in this room can remember names.

> "James of House Dorothea, oldest child, servant of the empire and future
> lord of Isenport."
> I said. Copernicus smiled. He was actually there for a reason, but we'll
> get to that later.
> "You will not address me; I do not wish to speak to you." I forced the
> covers off my
> body and gave a shriek. "What am I wearing!?"

Um... I don't know, how about clothes?

> "A tunic and pants." Coe said. I gripped the bed to avoid passing out. The
> feeling of this rough, ugly and dull cloth made my skin crawl. "What?"
>
> [...]
>
> "This is terrible!" I said. "The stitching on these pants are wretched, I
> could do a
> better job than this. I have done a better job than this! And why will you
> not explore
> colors outside of the beige spectrum?"

You show 'em what a manly modern man the future Lord of Isenport is. (Also,
the stitching 'is' wretched, not are.)

> "[...]
>
> "We thought you were dead!"
>
> "I'd rather have been than in this place." I said.

Careful what you wish for.

> [...]
>
> 'Their eyes are on you James. Show them you are strong.'
>
> I forced one foot forward. Then another. One two, one two over to a chair
> against the wall. Finally I collapsed, panting hard. "Ha!"

That'll show 'em. You made it all the way across the room before falling
over.

> "Was he supposed to be able to do that?" Copernicus asked.
>
> "Not as far as I know."
>
> [...]
>
> "You know, if you want to get out of here" Coe said, "Cope sometimes gives
> tours of this place." Cope shot the raccoon a death glare.
>
> "Why would I want to spend more time in this place with either of you?" I
> asked.
> "Ugh, it'll get me out of this room, I accept." That's so kind of you
> moron boy.

That's my line narrator.

> "Well I used to do tours." Copernicus said, "Uh not had the time anymore.
> Besides, aren't you too weak to be standing up?"
>
> "Are you trying to avoid me?" I asked. "I just said I'd allow you to show
> me
> around this backwater stain." Was I really this obnoxious?

Absolutely.

> "Can't imagine where you got that I idea." The lizard said. "Do you really
> think
> you're strong enough?"
>
> "I know it!"

No you don't.

> "Alright I can show you around." Cope, being far nice than I would have
> been,
> helped me too my feet and lead me out. He started talking I believe but I
> immediately
> blocked him out.

^comma after but.

> I moved through sheer force of will. Every step was labored and my muscles
> were virtually frozen. 'Can't let them see me look weak.'

It's not like they saw you covered in blood and nearly dead and fighting
for consciousness over the past two weeks or anything.

> [...]
>
> Isenport is not small. I'm used to seeing buildings stretching out in all
> directions
> with people crammed into them. What I wasn't used too was the image of a
> wolf on two
> legs and an utterly beautiful woman walking in front of me while
> discussing something.
>
> "…wow." I whispered. Cope smiled.

Finally, speechless.

> [...]
>
> "Done gawking?"
>
> "I wasn't gawking." I stammered. "Just wondering why we stopped moving. I
> don't want to just sit on my ass doing nothing." The smile was replaced by
> a frown. "Is
> there anywhere I can get very drunk while waiting?"
>
> "You could show some gratitude."

Him? I don't think he knows how.

> "Not to any of you." What an ass. "In fact I can't wait to leave this
> place. I bet
> you can't too." He shook his head. "What's that for? You're never going to
> see me
> again and thankfully I'll never see you."
>
> "You were in a bed for two weeks!" Cope said.
>
> "Yes we've established that."

You remembered something! You'll be over that head wound in no time.

> [...]
>
> "Feel the skin around your eyes." I didn't want to do what he asked, but
> even
> more than that I wanted quiet. So I reached up and touched the area beside
> my left eye.
> 'No no no no' I scrambled away from Cope, moving as fast as my frozen legs
> would carry me. 'Nononono' I stopped at the first window I could find and
> stared at my
> face.
>
> "No…" And golden eyes stared back at me. "No!" Across my nose were scales,
> small pebbles, cool to the touch. "Oh no no no I can't no no no."
>
> [...]
>
> "Am I cursed?" I asked.

No.

> "Yes."
>
> [...]
>
> "Don't touch me. Don't…damn it I didn't want this." Blood rushing through
> my
> ears blocked out the world and my head dipped between my knees. "I want
> this to stop,
> get me out of here."
>
> "James you—

^missing quotation mark.

> "Don't talk to me!" I cried. "Don't look at me, don't talk to me, leave me
> alone."
> Copernicus didn't say a word but he did sit beside me. He put an arm
> around me and I
> couldn't knock it off.
>
> For that I am grateful.
>

> When your life goes into a stop, you have two options. To try to pull out
> back to
> your previous pitch or to ride along with it until you reach the end.
> Often if you do not
> decide, life will decide for you.

^stall? and colon after options.

> [...]
>
> Four days passed before the moment I dreaded arrived.
>
> "Your family is here."
>

> Why did they leave the edge of the valley? Why did they wait so long? I
> knew
> walking out into the day light I wouldn't receive a satisfactory answer.

Maybe it's 'cause they didn't want to be cursed.

> [...]
>
> "It's me." I said. "This is me…" No it wasn't. It was a me half mutated
> and a
> flush with scales. This was not the me I had been.

Well, the new you can't be any worse than that you.

> [...]
>
> "This can't be happening." Father said.
>
> "Sir!" Nemo spoke up. "No matter what, this is your son. Maybe with more
> scales then the last time you saw him, but your oldest son none the less."
>
> "My son is not an animal."

Denial: an important trait in a modern man.

> [...]
>
> "You're still you no matter what." Muffin said. "What's Metamor Keep like?
> What are the people like?"
>
> "Strange." I said. "You wouldn't like it. They're rude and they don't
> listen to
> you when you talk." Muffin frowned. "What?"

No, you're just describing yourself.

> "Just surprised. I think this place is amazing."
>
> "Oh what do you know?" I snapped. She sighed.

See. She's just trying to help, and you keep brushing her off.

> "[...]
>
> "Yes I do." He swallowed. "My son was injured but the injuries were far
> worse
> than we thought."
>
> "…No"
>
> "When we found him, he was bleeding, near death. We got him to Metamor
> Keep
> to be healed but they couldn't do anything."
>
> "No!" The crowd of phantoms took a step away from us, yet kept watching.
>
> "My son died after eighteen days. His body was bloody and broken so we
> buried
> him on the journey."

Hey, you did wish you were dead.

> "I'm not dead!" I screamed. I lunged at my father but Nemo held me back.
> "Let
> go of me!"
>
> [...]
>
> "I'm not dead!"

Just keep denying it.

> [...]
>
> They walked out of my life and left me in a city of strangers.
>
> My hand grows tired. I will stop no

^now.

> We have no control over our first birth but we do over the many little
> births that
> follow. We choose them. We have no control over the many little deaths in
> our life
> though, no more than the final one.
>
> In front of people I would know, I experience my first death. This was to
> be one
> of the lowest points in my life, though not the lowest.
>
> At the time I was terrified. Now it seems foolish of me. This place was
> perfect to
> tame an obstreperous, licentious youth.
>
> I'll close by wishing all readers luck and encouragement. Nothing is as
> hard as it
> seems, not once you've survived your own death. And to you my friend,
> thanks for your
> encouragement to write this. May the blessings of Eli follow you.
>
> Your friend in the South
>
> J.
>
> AN: Thoughts still appreciated

Thoughts given.

WARNING: The preceding email contained scenes of extreme sarcasm and should
not have been read by individuals of a sensitive disposition.

Ugh, that took hours. No wonder no one does it anymore. Regardless, I
enjoyed the story, and I can't wait for the next one.

-AlexSurikat