[Mkguild] Grave Robbers part 1

Wyld Wyvern wyldwyvern.creative at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 21:42:38 UTC 2014

Hi
I've changed the focus of my story, this is the new first part. I've been
careful looking for typos but I may have missed some.

thanks

*Grave Robbers part 1*

mid-July 713 CR

*Coruscan*

*             The island of Coruscan  lies about a week away from the
Oriental Coastlands and two weeks from the northernmost point of Fan Shoar,
depending on the wind. The Island town founded in the year 407 CR has
always been fairly small and unknown. The original inhabitants wanted to
keep out of the increasing number of conflicts. The only people who discuss
this frozen land are those who trade with it. The town's most prized
artefact  is a shawl dated 609 CR, this shawl is the ceremonial wear of the
towns minister and many believe that it has the power to restore the dead.
So jump onboard one of our many ships and come for a visit. *

*Fine Dining*

*Being located in the northern Central Sea  the main staple food is fish
and crustaceans. The market has people making the local spiced cod ready to
order, a great way to keep the cold away.*

"So what do you think minister?" A voice asked in the dimly lit townhouse.

"It makes everything seem a bit too happy. Are you sure that people will
actually buy into this whole tourisme business."

The minister rolled the strange word around his mouth. 2nd chancellor Kovac
had come to him one day after a trip to the Oriental Coasts with a sheet of
papyrus  letting people know about Zhonglu and its culture. He thought
doing the same thing would bring more gold to the island and possibly more
workers to fill the posts needed in the new mine.

"I'm sure of it, people prefer to go places that seem so much better than
where they are. Do you think I should discuss the shooting of the Urchin
Crows each Sunday?"

The Minister could see the appeal of this proposal, it would help cut down
the seemingly endless numbers of Urchins that inhabited the ice reefs.
They stole from the fishermen and people were struggling to control the
situation. Not enough people wanted to pick up a bow or a sling and deal
with the pests.

"Yes, make it seem like a professional sport, if people do start coming to
get rid of them we should get only the best shots to take part, don't want
to make ourselves look bad do we."

"No minister." The 2nd Chancellor replied. He then left the room leaving
the Minister to his thoughts.

Kovac  headed for home and passed the market on the way.  He wanted to get
to work straight away on the new sheet.

*Meanwhile*

"Hey, Dad would we be able to get some more apples please?" Iridian asked
his Father Dmitri while staring at one of the Market stalls. It was filled
to the brim with imported fruits.

"No, we have enough fruit already, we only came here to pick up some more
ore, not to get food."

"Please, It's been ages since we had apples."

"It was only a month ago, that's not ages."

 The large man sighed, the problem with having a dragon for a son was that
they took an extremely long time to grow up, by human standards anyway.  18
years old and still brimming with a childlike energy. At least Iridian was
well behaved and would only ask twice before leaving it, usually after
getting distracted by something else.

"Come on, Let's get this ore home, we'll finish what we have before we get
more fruit."

Iridian picked up the two bags of iron ore ready to be smelted and left a
sad look on his face. Then he remembered the projects he could do since his
dad had the iron.

"Dad, can I smith myself a sword, or a shield, no a dagger or a mace."

"Only one weapon, while I get the Ore ready you should spend the time
thinking about what you want to make. While cooking dinner that is."

*August 29th 713 CR*

*The Fort City of Gycan*

"Please remain calm, we are going into lockdown, a large group has come
into range and we are investigating. In the mean time continue about your
business."

A crier calls out. He is one of many that spread the word of the day.

"I saw them when I came in this morning, they were all hooded, so I can't
tell you what they looked like, and their heights were all different." A
man with a gruff voice said.

"Thanks, hopefully someone else can tell me more, which direction is the
access to the wall."

"That way."

The man points to his left, before leaving Garrick by himself. He'd tracked
this so called army for the past 2 weeks, there weren't really that many of
them, they had Mage in their group who was casting illusions. Annoyingly
he'd lost them in the Oriental Mountains and still had no idea where they
were going.

At least now he was on the right track.

Garrick headed to the nearest tower swiftly dodging people as he went. Upon
entry a guard dressed in Gycan colours turquoise and yellow approached.

"Identify yourself stranger."

"My name is Garrick, Paladin of Dokorath."

"Garrick, eh. I heard how you mediated the dispute between red and gold a
year ago, did you really make their leaders fight each other?"

"Yes, I had to end the continuous lying and cheating , they would ambush
each other on multiple occasions and take prisoners. I had to end it, they
wouldn't respect their captives."

"Did the fight really last two days?" The guard was clearly impressed.

"Yes, neither leader had any battle experience, they were content sitting
on the sidelines."

The guard moved aside allowing Garrick to pass.

*Meanwhile*

*Coruscan*

Dmitri stood at the ready, his long sword held in one hand a shield in the
other. His foe was opposite him, as implacable as ever. Like Dmitri he
carried a sword, although it was shorter. He carried no shield. His
opponent ran towards him, his sword was held high, too high. Dmitri let him
come close, when he was about a metre away the blacksmith smashed his
shield arm against his opponent's sword. The sword was flung to Dmitri's
left, harmlessly.

"Got you." Iridian whispered behind him before laughing.

The half dragon in front of him disappeared in a haze.

"Iridian when did you learn that spell?"Dmitri asked his son. Inside he was
wondering whether it had been a good idea to give Iridian the book.

"It was the first thing I learnt after the telepathy spell."

 He was smiling, it his tail that made it noticeable, it moved like a dog's
when he was happy. Dmitri recalled the telepathy spell. Iridian hadn't been
very good at it.

"DAD, IS THE SPELL WORKING!" Iridian mind shouted across the entire island
of Coruscan.

Dmitri dropped the axe he was in the middle of repairing.

"DAD, IS THE SPELL WORKING!"

"Yes, Iridian it's working!"

"DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!"

Dmitri instinctively clamped his hands on his ears, even though it wouldn't
help. As quickly as he could he ran to his son's room. Iridian wasn't there.

"MAYBE IT'S NOT WORKING!"

"I MUST NOT BE DOING IT RIGHT!"

"DAD CAN YOU HEAR ME INSIDE YOUR HEAD!"

Iridian could hear shouting from around the other side of the cliffs. It
sounded like lots of the townsfolk.

"Iridian, stop whatever you are doing right now."

"Iridian, please shut up."

"WHY ARE THEY ALL SHOUTING AT ME!"

His father Dmitri appeared round the corner.

"Iridian turn the telepathy off, everyone can hear you."

Iridian flicked to the part of the book that gave the counter spells. His
Mother had provided some notes in the margins.

"STEP ONE TO REMOVE THE TELEPATHY SPELL!"

Dmitri had told his son to leave that spell alone, after that and instead
go on to something quieter.  This was definitely quieter. He smiled back at
Iridian.

"So, how did you manage to learn that spell?"

----

*September 2nd 713 CR *

*Coruscan*

"I think it's working." 2nd Chancellor Kovac proclaimed. His wispy goatee
twirled around his finger.

"Think what is working?" 1st Chancellor Barol replied.

"My promotion of Coruscan. We've had an increase of 50 visitors this week
alone." Kovac handed a sheet to The wizened old man.

Barol read through the brochure.

"many believe that it has the power to restore the dead. Kovac, you fool.
If somebody reads that they may actually think the Minister's shawl can
bring back the dead."

"Why would they think that, I did say that many people believe, I didn't
say it was true."

"You called it prized and most stories have some basis in fact. I'm calling
a meeting with the Minister to explain the situation."

--

It had been a fairly ordinary day, that is until an army broke down the
door of the Townhouse. Iridian had been cleaning for the Minister, his

What was most surprising was that no alarm had been raised.

 Iridian was dusting an ornamental plate,  made of silver. On its face
written in swirling script was the words: 50 years in service of Eli.
Farean Wreath.

A huge crash rattled through the building as the door came down. This
caused Iridian to drop the plate. Falling to the floor, Iridian scrambled
around the mantle looking for the memento. Luckily it hadn't been
scratched.  A large rumble passed through the Townhouse, people running.

The room Iridian was in was at the back of the Townhouse, a sort of shrine
where the Minister would pray to his god Eli. It didn't make much sense to
Iridian, why would anyone ask for help from something that they can't see.
His dad was a protestant, something of an oddity on Coruscan but he
enforced independent decisions, allowing Iridian to believe what he wanted.

Iridian jumped back up onto his feet, he was going to investigate the
disturbance.

"Hand over the shawl and we'll spare this boring little island." A voice
shouted.

Iridian moved into position outside of the front room.

Whoever was threatening the Minister was going to pay.

"No, I won't give the shawl to you, It is an important symbol to my people."

Iridian charged in upon the Minister's refusal. A group of six Ogres stood
before him, they were at least 7 feet tall and menacing. Compared to
Iridian's 4 foot frame they were huge.  Worried for his own safety but
determined to defend the leader of his home.

"Leave him alone, Ogres." Iridian faltered when the size of the Ogres
became truly apparent. The Ogres just laughed at the shorter bi-pedal
dragon.

The leader turned away from Iridian, pulling a sword from its sheath as he
did so. In one quick motion the Minister fell. His life pouring from his
body.  Iridian was frozen to the spot, unable to move.

so there is the first part

Wyld Wyvern