[Mkguild] The Illusive Chain: Coincidence (3/?)

Azariah Wolf azariahwolf at gmail.com
Fri May 30 00:39:05 UTC 2014

This part directly continues the previous post.

-LurkingWolf

___

Alex arrived in the private room first.It had been set aside for their
use when the situation was explained.With Outpost's denizens preoccupied
with other things, it would likely be up to the mages in the patrol
itself to do what they could to reverse the effects of the spell on
their companion.

Several chairs which had originally been set about the central table had
been moved to the side to give more room for mages to stand as they made
their investigations.Against one wall, a small metal stove was set, a
low fire burning in it to warm the room.The small wooden cage that had
been used to capture the ermine sat in the center of a rough-hewn wooden
table.The cloth that had been used to cover it was still in place, and
Alex withdrew it softly, setting it beside the cage on the table.The
small creature within looked at him without recognition as light was
once more allowed to enter its prison.It seemed to inspect the bars for
a few moments, but quickly became disinterested, seeming to conclude
that escape was impossible.There was nothing of the assassin's usual
cunning in those actions.

Lucy arrived not long afterwards as Alex was taking time to add fuel to
the fire, bringing along a slightly bedraggled moondog.Julian nodded
wordlessly to his new commander, eyes straying immediately thereafter
towards the weasel in the cage.

The youthful mage was the one to approach the cage first, however.She
brought a pack with her, but set it beside one leg of the table without
opening it.Instead, she quickly turned her focus to the animal between
the bars of the cage.Alex could tell, despite his lack of training in
any such art, that she had already begun to use magesight to attempt to
divine the nature of the spell that had forced Lois into his most
animalistic form.

Alex, with nothing he could do to help, stepped over towards Julian, who
held a cup of the same concoction that Lucy had shared with Alex shortly
before.He sipped at it even more slowly than the lynx had his own,
holding it with his fingers splayed about the rim and swirling it about
the cup in one hand with movements that seemed oddly practiced.

"Did you drink much tea on your prior assignment?" Alex asked, voice
hushed in consideration for Lucy's efforts.

The moondog shook his head and drank another few drops."I haven't had
any since before my home fell."He glanced at the cup as he resumed the
swirling motion with his wrist."It does bring to mind thought of more
peaceful times, I must say.Ginger and peach was also a favorite blend of
my master.I will have to ask Lucy where she found it."

Alex nodded.After a few moments more of watching Lucy inspect the weave
of spells around the ermine, he leaned back towards the moondog to
whisper another question."Do you know of any spells that Nasoj might
have been working on that could explain this?"

The moondog frowned deeply."I did my best to explore any new attacks
that might be used on the Keep as they appeared, but I never heard of
any such spell beyond the simple fetish stone, and that requires that
the gem make contact with the spell's target to produce a lasting
effect," he explained."Fetish stones were largely used only by lutins
after their inception.Human mages decided that they didn't like having
to be within an arm's length of their targets, so they have largely
abandoned their use.Lutin shamans like the intimidation factor,
though.Many still keep them about to make themselves feel more powerful
than they are."

"There's no sign of any fetish stone here, however," Alex muttered with
a sigh.

"Exactly.The implication seems to be that this shaman discovered a way
to project the same effect over a larger area."He shook his head,
clearly disturbed by the thought."In that case, I am not certain why we
were not also forced into our fully Cursed forms as well.We felt it, so
it could not simply have been specifically targeted at him.For some
reason, however, he not only felt it, but has been under its effects for
at least twelve hours by now, with no signs of improvement."

Lucy continued to explore the magic surrounding the cage's occupant,
stepping about its perimeter with her eyes squinted, as though trying to
see the finest details of some complicated construct.The two men waited
for some time, Julian carefully refueling the fire once while the young
mage focused on her work.He returned to his commander's side immediately
thereafter.Still, Lucy made no apparent progress, and the hours
stretched on.

"Do you think you could be of some assistance?" Alex asked at length.

"No.Not at the moment, at any rate," he answered without hesitation."I
trust Lucy's eye in this more than my own.I have had barely a month to
study the effects of the Curse firsthand.Also, after how she assisted me
when I first arrived, I know she is unphased by difficult challenges."

The two watched for a few more minutes before Lucy stepped back,
blinking a few times and shaking her head.She walked towards them with a
look of confusion on her face.

"Every mage worth their salt has looked over the curse in hopes of being
the miracle worker who will reverse it, and I am no exception.I have
seen the Curse in all of its forms more times than I care to enumerate,
and I see nothing in Lois' curse to suggest that there has been any
modification to it whatsoever.The magic surrounding him looks like any
other Keeper to whom the Keep has given an animal form.There are no
missing threads, nothing extra, and nothing to explain why he is on all
fours in a cage instead of having this conversation with us."

The three stood in silent contemplation for a few moments before one of
them spoke.Julian was the one who finally broke the silence."I do not
particularly enjoy the fact, but bitter experience has made me a cynic
of necessity."He lowered his voice and continued."Is it possible that
Lois used the opportunity provided by the shaman's failed casting to
play a wounded deer gambit?"

Lucy looked confused, but Alex gave a soft nod.To Lucy, he whispered,
"Feigning a wound to your own advantage.It could be such a ruse; his
past suggests similar escapades have succeeded for him before."

The young mage shook her head sternly."There are certain mannerisms that
animals have that no man can imitate, even one Cursed with the form of
an animal.I have seen quite a few ermines in my time as a trapper, and
this one acts no more different than any of them.Lois is either the best
actor in the Midlands, or his mind has been reduced to that of an ermine."

Alex rubbed the fur on the back of his neck for a few moments."His
credentials as an actor are unquestioned, but I do not believe he had
either time or reason to learn how to effectively emulate the tendencies
of a feral ermine.Also, it would be far too risky for him to attempt an
escape here."He glanced at each of his companions."I believe there is no
duplicity involved.If he had wanted to escape, he would have done so
during the mission."

The two others nodded in silent agreement.His logic made sense, even if
the lack of apparent magical tampering did not.

"So the question becomes, what am I missing?" Lucy asked.

Alex shrugged.He realized with more than a little distaste that his only
answer so far had reflected his ignorance concerning magical matters."I
am no mage, I cannot offer an informed opinion.Julian?"

The moondog sighed as the question finally fell to him."I could take a
look, but I am no enchanter, and living in the North has not provided me
with an abundance of opportunities to inspect the Curse.Nasoj is not
particularly talkative regarding the circumstances surrounding his
greatest failure."

Despite his misgivings, Julian did take the short walk to the table to
try his hand at seeking the cause of the assassin's downfall.His
expression was skeptical at best, but he allowed his magesight to come
to the forefront and began to examine the spells that held the ermine.He
remained focused for quite some time, but his inspection was far briefer
than Lucy's.He stepped away, shaking his head at his inability to
discern anything useful.

"I am a warmage, not an enchanter.I barely understand what I am seeing
in this tangled weave."

Lucy hardly seemed surprised, but Alex openly groaned in
disappointment."So... What do we do now?" he asked.

"We keep trying," Lucy responded, although she showed no great deal of
confidence."The Keep cannot help us here, not with the quarantine.I do
not know what mage in Hareford I would trust over my own
experience.Perhaps Nestorius himself, but he has more than enough to
worry about as it is.As difficult as the situation may be for us, it
still affects only one person."She walked back over to the table and
withdrew her pack from the ground underneath it.She pulled several
articles from within, setting them together on the table.Among them was
a stick of chalk, a wooden bowl, and a bag full of other magical articles.

"I hope no one intends to use this table for anything but magic in the
near future," she commented as she picked up the piece of chalk.She
waved it before her for a few moments as though it could write on air,
and then began to sketch expert lines on the surface of the table.Her
lines were unerring in their precision, but also took quite some time to
draw."The two of you may wish to find something else to do for a little
while," she said, never raising her eyes from her efforts.

Alex watched her for a little while longer, but being unable to
understand the focus of her efforts made it difficult to stay
engaged.Although he did not know what it might be, he decided that it
would serve him better to leave her alone for a little while.Nodding a
brief farewell towards Julian, he ventured out into Hareford.Perhaps he
could at least discover what their role would be during the ongoing
quarantine.