[Mkguild] The Illusive Chain: Coincidence (4/?)

Azariah Wolf azariahwolf at gmail.com
Sat May 31 01:37:16 UTC 2014

Here is part 4!

-LurkingWolf

___

Balrog took the last watch, and he roused the others just as the morning
sun appeared over the eastern horizon.It seemed that Nathan had not
slept at all, as he waved the stocky man towards the youngest member of
their party before Balrog ever got close enough to shake him.Victor took
a solid shake of the shoulder before he moved, but his discipline
quickly showed through as he nodded to Balrog, groaning quietly as he
drew himself to his feet.He ran his fingers through his thick brown hair
once, and somehow every strand fell in place exactly as it always
did.The young man claimed to know nothing of magic, but Balrog somehow
wondered how he could so easily control his mop of hair without some
supernatural aid.

The three of them were quickly prepared to move, and they were soon well
on their way, Nathan once more setting a healthy pace while his
companions kept up.With several hours still to go before reaching
Outpost, however, the black wolf at their fore made certain that they
all stayed together.His companions were thankfully up to the task of
keeping his pace now that they were rested, and they made good time as
they made for the haven of Outpost and whatever mysteries had called
Nathan's attention.

The journey passed in silence as such patrols were often wont to do, and
barely a word passed from one of them to another before the stark stone
walls of their destination rose into their view.None of them questioned
it when their leader accelerated his pace.He had not been able to
determine anything further from his vision of the previous evening, and
he wished to know what its intention might have been as soon as possible.

Their reception at the walls was a little more complicated than usual,
and it took little time for them to discover why.Vic looked as though he
had been shot through by a crossbow when he heard the word plague
uttered from atop the walls, and Balrog had to clap a hand on his
shoulder to steady him.A few brief words sufficed to clarify that the
patrol had left the Keep several days prior to the quarantine, and their
entrance was permitted to allow them to rest from their work.

Of course, rest would have to wait for a more opportune moment.

The black wolf who headed the patrol wasted no time in making his way to
the keep to seek out information about what might have caused the
strange premonition that had struck him outside of Metamor.

It comforted him somehow when he realized that, had he not redirected
his team only an hour from the walls, the plague would still have kept
them out.While he had confidence in the discipline of Balrog, the
youngest member of the squad concerned him.Faced with the idea of being
trapped away from his family with so little separating him from them,
the wolf wondered if the young man would not have rushed the guards in
an attempt to break through.All things told, it was for the best that
they had turned back earlier rather than later.

The lupine scout was unsurprised when he was informed that speaking with
Hareford's commander would require more than tales of some vague
premonition.Nathan sighed, but he was unable to think of any valid
reason that would seem more important enough for the guards to announce
him.He thanked them for their work, and stepped aside with a shake of
his head.

Few people ever respected the claims he made regarding his abilities,
and he could hardly blame them.While others that called themselves
profits or fortune tellers could at least give a vague idea as to the
meaning of their visions, it was difficult for him to even call the
presentiments that were given to him by the name of visions.There were
no images attached to any of the foreign thoughts that had swayed him
from the Keep, nor were there ever in those unpredictable times when he
was given such arcane insight into the near future.Still, he had long
since learned to instinctively act on such impulses when those rose to
the fore.Although it had once frightened him, years of experience had
borne out its usefulness as well as its reliability.He just wished that
he had more of an opportunity to act on it in this case.

As he mused over his thoughts, however, he heard another man speaking
with the guards who oversaw the security of Hareford's keep.It seemed to
be an innocuous conversation for the first few moments, as the man
inquired as to potential patrol responsibilities in the near future,
revealing him as another Metamor patrol commander who had been trapped
without the walls by the onset of the plague.The guards told him that
all commanders were to remain available in case of their services being
required, and there is where the current of the conversation caught
Nathan's attention.

"I am willing to be sent on patrol, of course, but my patrol has been
handicapped by the loss of one of our members.His mind has been
overthrown by the Curse and some unknown working of our enemies.We are
doing all we can to break whatever it is that holds him in that state,
but until we succeed it will be difficult for us to operate at our
fullest capacity."

The wolf turned to see who it was who has spoken.The lynx who stood at
the door was perhaps half a head shorter than he was himself, but his
bearing suggested that he had quite a significant degree of experience
as a military commander.The topic of the man who had been somehow
effected by the Curse's magic was what truly interested the wolf
however, and he approached with hardly another thought.

"I understand, but Sir Dupré is thoroughly occupied with the details of
the Keeps' defense over the course of the quarantine," the guard was
responding."Barring extraordinary necessity, I cannot defy my orders and
allow you to see him while he is occupied by such vital affairs."

The lynx clearly had feelings similar to Nathan's own regarding their
orders, a disappointment mixed with resigned understanding.He nodded to
the guards and turned to walk away, only to come face to face with the
approaching wolf.

"Excuse me," the wolf said by way of introduction."I overheard what you
said.You have a friend that needs magical assistance?"

The other Keeper eyed him warily at the question, either because of the
clear implication of eavesdropping or because of his unexpected
appearance.Whichever of the two it was, the reaction was thankfully brief.

"That is correct," he confirmed with a short nod."Why do you ask?"

The black wolf hesitated.He considered telling the man about the truth
of what had brought them to Hareford, but he worried at what the
reaction might possibly be.Even Balrog was uncomfortable with the idea
of such a power, and Nathan knew and trusted him.A stranger could not be
trusted with it.

"We received a request for aid while we were on patrol in the area," he
responded.He actually felt quite proud at the amount of confidence he
managed to put into the words."Our party's mage has studied the workings
of the Curse for some time, and I believe that he would be able to help
remove any magic that might be working to reinforce it."

The lynx evaluated him silently for a few moments before finally
nodding."Very good.My party is attempting to find a remedy in the
barracks.You should be able to locate them with very little difficulty;
we have not made our presence secret at all, so you should be able to
ask almost anyone about where we are."

"All right, then.Who should I ask for when I arrive?"

"My name is Alex," his counterpart replied.

The wolf nodded with a broad smile."Well met.My name is Nathan.I will go
to seek out my company's mage and meet you there.Until then I bid a
brief farewell!"

The encounter ended there, although both men were going to the
barracks.The wolf hurried ahead to find Balrog, while the lynx followed
at a more regulated pace, as he would be unable to help with the
process.Finally, he decided that Lucy and Julian deserved some warning
that they would be receiving unexpected aid, and he hastened his pace as
well.He was glad to have the promise of some help, but something about
the conversation made him feel uncomfortable.It would serve him well to
be careful.