[Mkguild] The Illusive Chain: Ignorance (4/?)

Azariah Wolf azariahwolf at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 02:33:03 UTC 2014

-LurkingWolf

---

The keep at Hareford was not the imposing structure that Kyia's home was
in Metamor, but it seemed just as daunting to Alex as he approached its
halls.Certainly, it was not the structure itself that intimidated him,
but the prospect of what awaited him within its halls.Could he even hope
to convince Sir Dupré to rescind his earlier orders?He was nothing but a
simple patrol commander and that only as an inheritance from the former
commander.Sir Dupré, though his own accomplishments had mostly been
written in the Midlands, was still a respected commander with a strong
military heritage.

Of course, Alex's concerns only mattered if he was even offered an audience.

He had briefly considered simply ignoring orders, but that consideration
was only lasted a few moments.While he was concerned by Lois' situation,
he was not about to risk his command by doing something rash.He also
knew that his patrol's absence could cause weakness in the patrol
structure of the Keep, and that was even more of a concern with the
quarantine in effect.

Alex knew that it couldn't be true, but he could almost swear that the
guards at the entrance to the keep were the same ones that had met him
on his previous visit.Whether they were or not, they were certainly
showing the wear of the hours.One of them was stretching and jogging in
place to stay awake, and the other was buffing his hooflike nails on a
small file he carried in his other hand, his partially-lidded eyes
betraying the weariness with which he undertook his simple efforts.The
two acknowledged him as he arrived, each returning to some semblance of
attention.

"Halt!No one is allowed beyond without the express permission of Sir
William Dupré," one of them said, clearly reciting the very orders he
had been given.At points his voice dipped into a nearly indecipherable
drawl, but he managed to spit the message out around his tired tongue.

Alex nodded his understanding.The increased security about the keep was
expected given the added pressure that Hareford was feeling at this
time.With Metamor unable to deploy their own troops in their current
situation, it now fell to the Outpost, Lake Barnhardt, and the Glen
Avery to manage the troop deployments.This included the added difficulty
of finding out where the active patrols were, since even Metamor had
little idea now that their companies were forced to seek other quarters
due to the plague.

"I understand that the commander is busy, but I would like to speak with
him if it is at all possible."

One of the guards grimaced."I have to be honest, that is highly
unlikely.Sir Dupré is not seeing anyone now."

Alex nodded."Still, could you at least take him my name?"When the guards
hesitated, the lynx pressed forward."I am Alex hin'Valius, my patrol was
just ordered out into the field."

The ungulate guard perked at the name."Wait a moment, that's the name
they told us to be listening for," he insisted."Sir Dupré wanted to see
him right away!"

The other nodded."I do recall that as well."To Alex he continued,
"You're in luck.It seems your coming was anticipated."

The two of them opened the doors quickly, and Alex stepped through, his
soft pads making him almost completely silent as he marched along the
solid stone of the hallway.He was pointed towards Sir Dupré's chambers
directly, and found the way easy to follow despite the sparse, martial
decoration of the keep's hallways.

The guards at the private chamber's door bid him wait while they carried
his request to Hareford's new military commander.The ram's gruff voice
was audible through the thick door as he told them to allow Alex entrance.

The lynx stepped through the door when the guard returned to find that
the chambers he had been led to were, indeed, the ram's private
bedchambers.The man himself was standing in the one open area of the
room, facing the door while a boar worked calmly behind him, taking one
piece of armor at a time and fastening them securely to his commander's
form.He worked with a practiced diligence that spoke of years of experience.

"I thought you might wish to see me," the older commander said.His
lieutenant fixed a bracer to Dupré's arm, carefully and deliberately
securing each strap to be certain that none of them could possibly come
loose during combat.

"Yes, sir," Alex gave a brief bow. He was uncertain of the proper degree
of deference to show to the man.Although Nestorius was both the
commander of Hareford and a powerful mage, the black lion preferred some
degree of familiarity, so only the most basic formalities were
observed.William Dupré, however, had been a lord in his own land, and
though his banishment had taken that title from him his post as the
military commander at the Outpost was worthy of some respect at least.

Sir Dupré gave a nod as he was armed."I originally heard that one of
your party had been attacked by a mage, and was unable to join any
patrol.More recently I heard that the situation had been resolved.I did
not understand the particulars of the situation well then, and I do not
believe I can claim to understand it now.If you could perhaps explain it
better, I might be able to better explain my own decision to deploy your
patrol."

Alex took a deep breath.Of course Dupré would not understand what had
happened.He had been at the Keep for barely a few months, and in that
time he had been more than a little preoccupied.Perhaps if he made a
good case, the lynx could manage to convince him to give them more time.

He explained as briefly as possible the particulars of the situation.The
ram listened carefully, an ear flicking now and then at some phrase or
word that Alex misspoke, but he nodded with a neutral expression for the
duration of the explanation.Dupré's lieutenant, although clearly well
versed in the art of politely ignoring conversations that were not his
own, was not quite so well versed in controlling his new body.His ears
often twitched or swiveled towards the lynx whenever he mentioned
something interesting.The lynx chose to ignore this.There was nothing to
be gained by raising a fuss over something so minor.

While he continued his persuasive attempts, Alex hoped that he was not
being too technical with his explanation.Although he had no trouble
removing any difficult magical terms from his discussion, as he did not
know any himself, he wondered if discussing the Curse in detail at all
might cause some confusion.

As he finished, however, Dupré seemed unfazed.He waited thoughtfully,
eyes turned towards the floor, for a few moments as his captain adjusted
the last few straps of the commander's armor.Finally, he turned back to
Alex.

"I understand your concern and your desire to help your compatriot.I
consider loyalty to be an incredibly important trait in any warrior, so
I cannot fault you there.Knowing the extent to which the Curse can
affect a man's mind is also quite frightening."He shook his head
slowly.His captain seemed to share his opinion based on his dour
expression, but he continued to act as ignorant of the conversation as
he possibly could."Still, my one remaining question is whether your
friend is in any immediate danger?"

Alex wanted to claim that he was, but as much as he wished he could, he
could think of no reason to believe it was so.Lois' memory might have
been shattered by the fetish spell, but his ignorance of his past was
perhaps even safer than the alternative.According to everything he had
heard from the mages, he also suspected that any harmful magic had
already run its course.Lois was handicapped, to be certain, and he could
only wonder at the trials that the ermine's recovery would entail, but
there was no clear, immediate danger.

"No, sir, I do not believe that I can claim he is in danger," the lynx
admitted with a sigh.

The ram gave a sympathetic smile."While I would like to be able to offer
you more time, the fact is that I am short on men as it is.I need
everyone available to man the patrols during the quarantine."He waved an
arm, demonstrating his own armament."Even I am no exception.We cannot
reinforce from within the Keep, so we are left to our own devices.I know
your men are capable, and I need you on the field."

Alex's heart sank, but he nodded his understanding."Thank you for
considering my request, at least," he offered.

"Perhaps there is still a partial solution," the ram replied.The boar
behind him turned to the side, taking another armored plate from where
they all sat, organized upon the bed.

Alex's ears perked at the renewed offer."Sir?"

"I cannot afford to lose your entire patrol, but perhaps one of your
company could remain behind to be certain of his safety."

The lynx felt a swell of relief for a moment, before he realized the
unfortunate truth."I'm sorry, sir, but if one of my fellows remained
behind, the other would have to do so as well," he explained.

The ram's face showed clear confusion."What do you mean?" he asked.

"They share a bond with one another for several reasons," Alex
explained."Without going into much detail regarding those reasons, the
result is that they must remain close to one another at all times, or
risk death."

Sir Dupré shook his head."You surround yourself with quite a variety of
magical oddities," he commented.His lieutenant barely suppressed a
chuckle."Whatever the case, I am sorry to say that this severely limits
my ability to help you in any meaningful way.I am certain that the
healers will gladly look after him in your absence, but beyond this I do
not see any way I can be of help."

"Actually, there is one thing you might be able to do if you cannot
allow us to remain here," Alex proposed."I told you of the mage that
assisted us in our efforts, Balrog.Would it be possible to see that his
patrol is able to remain here in our absence?He is a personal friend of
Lois, and he might be able to provide the necessary aid if we cannot."

Dupré considered the proposal in silence for a few moments before
nodding slowly."I think I may be able to allow that request," he
agreed."If I understand correctly, his patrol company only returned from
a mission themselves only recently as it is.Giving them a few days to
rest would be profitable for them."

Alex smiled."Thank you, sir.Unless you require me for any other purpose,
I believe I should part to prepare my men for the upcoming patrol."

The ram nodded."Indeed.Fare well on your journey.I hope our next meeting
will be under more fortunate circumstances.Perhaps we could find time to
share a drink together.I do want to know the men under my command, brief
though our interaction may be."

Alex hesitated.It always concerned him when anyone of rank showed
interest in him, but he could see no ill intention of any kind behind
the offer."Thank you," he said, giving a shallow bow."I would be honored
to join you if you would have me."

"Of course."Dupré smiled, and even the boar spared the lynx a glance and
a smile."Farewell!May each of us find good success on our journeys."

As Alex left, he wondered if he had done the right thing.He barely knew
Balrog, and the only word that had assured him of the man's friendship
to Lois had been the lutin's own.If there was any deception in the man's
words, the lynx would not learn of it until the results had already been
wrought.Still, as he returned to the barracks, Alex could not find it in
himself to regret the decision.Lois needed someone to help him through
this difficulty.Despite the risks, everything he had seen pointed to
Balrog being the proper choice for the job.He just wished he could still
his doubts.