[Mkguild] The Illusive Chain: Ignorance (8/8)

Azariah Wolf azariahwolf at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 02:44:51 UTC 2014

And that's it for this part! Hopefully the next will not be as
troublesome to write.

-LurkingWolf

---

It was still early when Balrog returned to the bunks where his
companions had been quartered.That Lois had wished to rest so soon after
a day such as this did not surprise him very much at all.He would have
been far more shocked had the ermine insisted on extending the day.As it
was, he needed to take only little care for the others in the chamber
who might be resting, since that number was so insignificant.

He found his commander crouched by their bunks, rummaging through the
pack that he had taken charge of during their recent patrol.Little
remained of the consumables, and many of the other contents would need
to be thoroughly cleansed before they could be used.Whatever the wolf
was searching for seemed to be eluding him, but he still managed a
genuine smile when. He saw the lutin's approach.

"Balrog, good evening!How fares the patient?"

"He fares well enough.His memory remains badly damaged, but his mind is
clear and I have seen some progress.I have no doubt that he will recover
fully given some time."

"What sort of progress have you seen?" Nathan asked.

As his commander closed the pack and returned it to its place, Balrog
replied, "He is beginning to recall small pieces of his past.They are
small, fragments at best, but they are something, at least, a bit of
encouragement amid a difficult struggle."

The black wolf nodded, sitting on the edge of one of the beds as he
listened.He cocked his head curiously at Balrog's explanation of the
ermine's progress."How large are these fragments that he is recovering?"
he asked.

Balrog gave him an odd look."They are very small, perhaps a few moments
of time.He recalls them well, however.I asked him about one of the
events that be recalled, and he was able to easily recount even his own
thoughts during that time.Why are you suddenly interested?I thought you
were opposed to the idea of him recovering his memory."

The wolf gave a conceding nod, and explained, "I worry about what he
might remember, and how he might react to the memories when they return
to him.That does not mean that I am not interested in his recovery;
quite the contrary, I expect I have more reason to be curious about his
progress than do any of you."He shifted his seat, allowing his tail a
little more room to move."Now, you say he is recalling brief periods in
good detail?That strikes me as odd.Memories rarely return in detail
unless they are part of a larger epiphany.Memories are so interconnected
that one rarely returns without bringing others with it."

Balrog shrugged."I know too little about memories to truly say.What I
will say is that I trust Lois, and I trust that if he says that he does
not remember, he does not remember."

Nathan waved a paw and rocked back on the bed a little bit, removing
himself from anything that could be misinterpreted as a confrontational
posture."I do not mean to question your friend's truthfulness by my
observation.I was merely making note of an anomaly I perceived in your
retelling of his experience.As we both know, this entire situation has
been a maze of such mysteries, and we should consider any further
question as a potential key to unraveling all of those mysteries.If he
has deep memories, but only of very specific events, we should consider
the possibility that someone is very specifically choosing what they
will allow him to recall."

"The only one I would suspect of having any motivation for such a thing
is you," Balrog noted.

"And yet, if it would serve my purposes, you cannot discount the
possibility of another party being similarly interested," Nathan
countered.He gave a smile, the same predatory one he loved to use as he
whittled through an opponent's defenses in combat."The concerning issue
is that they may have other directions for their efforts.I do not wish
him to recall his past because I am afraid that he will recall being an
assassin and seek to return to that occupation.Another interested party
may instead direct their efforts at accomplishing exactly that,
stripping away any part of Lois that would resist such a task until he
is just a pawn in their hands."

Balrog scowled at his friend's presentation of the disturbing
possibility.Nathan was frustratingly good at playing Devil's
advocate."The one who cast the original spell on Lois is dead," the
lutin finally responded.

"Perhaps, but the loss of his memories could make him a tempting target
to a sufficiently skilled opportunist.Provided only that they could come
by the information that Lois had been crippled in this way, it is not
unreasonable to propose such a person could execute their designs on the
man."

"I saw no signs of such interference when I examined him earlier today."

"And likewise, nothing when you examined him while he was trapped as an
animal," Nathan pointed out."We are dealing with something we do not
understand here, Balrog.Vigilance is of the utmost importance.Just
because you do not see any sort of conventional magic affecting him does
not necessarily mean that he is free from any sort of taint.Until Lois
is completely returned to his former shape and completely recovers his
memory, or until we discover some satisfactory answer to our questions,
we must assume the worst though we hope for the best."

Balrog heaved a frustrated sigh, but he was forced to nod his
agreement."I don't suppose you have any suggestions for how we might
exercise appropriate caution?"

Nathan shrugged, his expression and bearing suggesting that he was
enjoying the discussion, if only because it frustrated his friend."You
are the mage, my friend.If anyone is equipped to answer that query, I
would confidently assert that it is you."

The lutin mage scoffed."I have no more idea than you," he groused.

Chuckling, the black wolf stood from his bunk and stretched."I will
leave you to think on it, then."

The lutin raised an eyebrow."Are you going somewhere?" he asked.

The tall, lupine man nodded."I wish to take a run around the grounds to
keep up conditioning," he answered.He turned to the stout man and gave a
chuckle."I don't suppose you would be interested in joining?After our
last patrol I worry I might outpace you by so fast a margin that I will
lose you completely next time!"

Balrog gave an exaggerated roll of his eyes before shaking his head
vehemently."I have had my exercise for the day.I am well satisfied with
leaving you to your own."

"Suit yourself."The wolf grunted as he stretched out his muscles
carefully."By the way," he continued, "I think Victor was looking for
you.It did not seem urgent, but you may wish to see what he needs.I
would have tried to help him myself, but we both know that he is more
comfortable in your company."

Balrog gave a nod, looking at his friend with some concern."Is he all
right?"

The wolf shrugged as he grabbed a few things from where he had arranged
them on his bed for his run."I cannot say for certain.He has been a bit
detached since we came here."

"He is very concerned for his family.They are all still within the
walls, and he worries that something will happen while they lie beyond
his reach."The large man sighed, rubbing his jaw with one of his large
hands."I cannot imagine what it is like to have someone you care for
that much separated from you.He may relate to me better than to you, but
the only family I had is now dead, and it is hard for me to mourn his
passing."

Nathan nodded.He seemed antsy, like he really wanted to leave as soon as
possible."My family is all in the south."

"You said that you were trapped here during the Three Gates?" Balrog asked.

The black wolf waved a hand in the air."It wasn't exactly an accident,"
he clarified."The Curse was, but I came to Metamor to aid in the defense
against Nasoj.When the Curse fell, that mission became slightly more of
a permanent relocation.I have had some contact with then since that
time, but they're not keen on the idea of a 'werewolf' coming down from
the north, claiming he is their son."

Balrog gave a sharp shake of his head and a chuckle.Looking back at the
wolf, he asked, "Wouldn't you have been pretty young at the time of the
Battle?"

"My family asked similar questions at the time.It was something I felt
needed to be done, however, and I do not regret having done it."He
sighed and shook his head."Not many people came to the Keep's aid during
those dark days.Whether they failed to take Nasoj seriously or thought
that allowing him to weaken the Keep was politically expedient at the
time, the Midlands was happy to let things play out without
intervening.I take no small amount of pride in having been one of the
few to go against that decision."

"I am glad that you did.Now, we both have tasks to tend to.You need to
take your run, and I should go see that if Victor is all right."He
kicked at the floorboard with one of his thick boots."And then, perhaps,
I will take a look to make sure Lois is all right."

"Not a bad idea," Nathan confirmed with a smile and a nod."I will see
you later.And don't give Victor TOO much to drink, all right?"

Balrog smirked and waved a hand dismissively."I'll make sure he behaves
himself.I'm more worried about you."

"I never drink and run," Nathan said matter-of-factly, and then he was
gone before Balrog could say another word.The large man shook his head
and grinned, and then he left to find Victor.While he would not have the
assistance of Kyia in this effort, he doubted that his young friend had
wandered far from the barracks.