[Mkguild] Divine Travails of Rats - Pars VI. Acceptio (c)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Thu Jul 16 21:37:39 UTC 2015

Metamor Keep: Divine Travails of Rats
by Charles Matthias and Ryx

Pars VI: Acceptio

(c)

Saturday, May 12, 708 CR

A searing light drove him back into the shadow.
The image and all of its contents he buried deep
within, deeper even than the industrious ants or
capering squirrels. His Master stood between him
and a wall of flame that crossed the entire
terrace from the cliff of stone rising to an
impenetrable summit to the precipice which
descended beyond the reach of memory. Colors of
scintillating yellow and orange danced together,
braiding and knotting as they rose upward to join
the clouds. The flames did not spread nor did
they consume the ground from which they sprang.
But into them many of the souls rushed, vanishing
from sight, shouting toward the sky as they ran.
Discordant notes echoed from all around and from within.

Núrodur Nuruhuinë recoiled deeper into his
Master's shadow at the mesmerizing shimmer of
fiery light. The heat struck them as a solid
force, growing with each step that his Master
took dragging him along behind. But it was not
the heat that upset him; he scorched the ground
in fury, struggling to keep as far from the hated light as possible.

Be not afraid, Núrodur Nuruhuinë.

But the fire is light! It is everywhere!

We must pass through this. You will be with me.

But the light! There will be no shadow, Master!

I always stand between you and the light, Núrodur
Nuruhuinë. You are always in my shadow.

He wanted to be comforted by his Master's
assurances, but the fire cast light in every
direction. How could there still be shadow to
keep him safe? His thoughts were only of the
searing pain that was light. He yearned to see it
extinguished; what need had he for light when he had the shadow!

And yet his Master's thoughts, so certain and
present to him, were undeterred. You have nothing
to fear, Núrodur Nuruhuinë. It matters not from
whence the light comes; I will be a bulwark for
you; I will blot it out for you. I always cast a shadow for my faithful ones.

Núrodur Nuruhuinë hissed as he drew himself as
tightly as possible into the center of his
Master's shadow. His master's pace did not
slacken as he walked up the gentle slope toward
the wall of flame that spread across the entire
width of the terrace. Some of the souls rushed
toward that fiery barrier and then doubled back
beating their chests with their hands, and
casting their eyes to the ground in shame. Others
flung themselves headlong into the maelstrom of
yellow and orange and cried out words that made
no sense. None of them walked into the fire.

His Master did.

The flames did not part, but leaped upward from
the ground to consume his Master. It capered
about his white garment, rushing beneath the hem
of the skirt and driving into the wide sleeves,
only to emerge from the collar to pierce his
silvery black hair. Yet not the least corner of
his silken apparel was singed, nor a single
strand of hair smouldered in that conflagration.
His skin, alabaster and pure, was not even warmed by the blaze.

Into the flames his Master stepped and against
him they had no power. Even his shadow, as
promised, persisted across the ground behind him.
Núrodur Nuruhuinë could only marvel as the flames
rose up through the shadow, inflicting a heat
beyond even with what he had scorched the ground
behind them, without bringing any light into the
shadow itself. He crept lower and lower within it
only to keep himself as far from the light he
could see in the flame. After a few of his
Master's steps, the last of his reticence had
passed and his nascent thoughts could return to
the images he'd glimpsed within.

But it was impossible to dwell on the earlier
images when all about there was a roar so loud he
felt as if he'd been tossed into a forge.

Forge. The word had meaning. It did not bring
forth a coherent image, but he understood its
purpose: the smelting of metals to remove their
impurities and to refashion them into all sorts
of shapes. As the flames curled through the
shadow he caught suggestions of objects that had
names. He knew the names: sword, shield, helmet,
breastplate, rod, spade, axle, kettle, knife,
spoon, nail, horn, and so many others that he
could not hold their names long enough to shape
them. Impurities, too numerous to count, pervaded
everything sent to the forge. Within that blaze
they would each be drawn forth, one by one, until
only a single substance remained.

That single substance was pure, focused,
malleable and useful. A blade fashioned without a
forge would break, a shield shatter, and a spade
snap at the barest bit of pressure. Worse than
useless; they were an impediment in the hands of their masters.

A notion opened before him into the depth of the
shadow, drawing his focus from the disparate
images that flashed by, forming for but a moment
from the confluence of orange and yellow flame
before dissolving into the ever ascending
maelstrom of light and heat. The forge was more
than a place to refine iron; it suggested some
principle beyond itself. Everything could be
refined. All things could be tried.

A servant even.

The question formed within him as he sank deeper
into the shadow; his substance blistered in the
light from the flame. The shadow seemed to expand
like a lake swollen with melt and the pain seemed
to stretch with it; it never left him but for a
time felt remote as into his being slipped the presence of his Master.

Yes.

Yes, Master?

Yes, Núrodur Nuruhuinë. A servant must be forged
if they truly wish to serve their Master. You are
being forged, Núrodur Nuruhuinë.

He tried to recall all that he had experienced,
but his memory seemed to be only a scattered
remnant of images he'd glimpsed. There was a
memory of a pain so intense that he flinched even
from its recollection; beyond it he could not
force his thoughts to go. How long had they been
on their journey? How long had his Master been forging him?

And how much further did he need to go?

He felt a reassuring glimmer of amusement in his
Master's thoughts. You have been my servant for a
very long time, Núrodur Nuruhuinë. For that
purpose you have come into being. All who come
into being are created for that purpose but few
are those chosen to be forged as you have been.
They abide in my shadow. There they are forged to
be my servants and to accomplish my will. That is
your purpose, Núrodur Nuruhuinë. You have come
far and been purified of much; only a little left
remains and you will be perfected.

There was a deep approval in those thoughts, one
that penetrated his being and made him yearn to
feel it reach the very center of his substance.

What is there left to do, Master?

Know about you, Núrodur Nuruhuinë. What do you sense?

The flames that rose from the ground and
stretched in every direction contained more than
just his Master and his Master's shadow. Souls
strode through that conflagration, their pace
varying, but each of them all seemed to head in
the same direction. Some moved quickly past with
determined eyes fixed on the path ahead, while
others crouched low and proceeded at a crawl,
their countenances twisted as if a part of them
yearned to flee back down the terrace. There was
a deeper difference between their paces; he could
sense it as a clutching on the part of those who
crawled. Nothing was held by the souls who moved
quickly. Their eyes were clear while something besmirched the rest.

They are leaving something behind, Master. Some
leave it more easily than others.

Very good. They too are being purified. Those
that hold onto the things they have seen and
yearn to see that do not suit their master suffer
greatly and make little progress. Those that let
all that should not be within them burn away move
quickly through the flame. So it is with you, Núrodur Nuruhuinë.

With me, Master?

You must remain in the shadow and partake only of
my shadow. Yet you harbor things you have seen
beyond the shadow that defile you. I must purify
you of them. I must burn them from you.

Núrodur Nuruhuinë immediately thought of the lady
rat in white who sang a song that seemed to
stretch beyond the impenetrable memory of
anguish, but pushed that recollection deeper and
brought instead to his thoughts the image of the
ants and the squirrels. There was a delight in
the ants' clever cooperation and the squirrels'
heedless capering that he felt a twinge of regret
at losing. These he pressed forward, showing them to his Master.

Do you mean these, Master?

Yes. Those and any others you keep that come from
beyond my shadow. Until you are parted from them
you will be imperfect and your purification must
continue. But these I now take.

Núrodur Nuruhuinë felt his being seared anew with
an intense heat that permeated every thought.
Into the dark reaches of the shadow he found no
escape from the anguish that stripped him. He
glimpsed the ants and the squirrels for only a
moment before both were torn away like a page
rent down the middle. The flames pierced his
being and he in turn charred at the ground from
which they sprang until both were black as ash.

Pain.

Violation.

Amputation.

Núrodur Nuruhuinë felt all pass until only a
residue of the anguish abode within him. In his
Master's shadow he remained while flames of ugly
orange and putrid yellow cavorted around him.

Do you know what an ant is?

Pain flickered within him, but apart from a
sullen string of notes that tolled low and quiet
there was nothing to find that could answer the question. No, Master.

And do you know what a squirrel is?

Helpless, he could only reply as before. The word
had no meaning for him. Nor, it seemed to him,
did it have any meaning for his Master. No, I do not, Master.

What do you know?

Your shadow, Master.

For a moment he felt the presence imbue him and
penetrate into the subdued pain that seared every
mote of his being. There was satisfaction in that presence.

More yet remains but only a trifle. You are
almost ready. Know, Núrodur Nuruhuinë, the fire of this place is at an end.

His Master thought it and it was true. The wall
of flame that stretched from cliff to cliff came
to an abrupt end only a few paces ahead of his
Master's feet. He felt contentment in this and
huddled within the shadow, creeping along at his
Master's feet until the roaring flames were
finally behind them. They emerged from the wall
of painful light onto the ever-circling terrace
along with several other souls. These souls
lifted their heads to the glimmering clouds above
and shouted boisterously. To Núrodur Nuruhuinë
they were only making noise that he felt as
ripples in his Master's shadow. There was no sense to it and so he ignored it.