[Mkguild] Trust IV

Jack Moore jackthefrilledlizard at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 18 12:01:52 UTC 2015

AN: This was supposed to go up yesterday, then came so much stuff. Figures. Thanks to Matthias for letting me use his character.
Trust IV
The answer is pretty drunk.
 I had four empty mazers littering me and three others had been taken away. It was about that time the music entered my brain. I was gripping my chair because the room had begun to spin out of control. I was pretty sure I was no longer attached to the Earth.
 What is that? Something sailed into my ears, silken and rich. It nestled snuggly into my mind, then into my heart.
 A fire ignited inside of me, sending heat through my blood and into my muscles. I sunk into my chair. It's music. I know it's music. My eyes sank shut as the strings played up my spine.
 At home we had musicians the play for us. I could spend my evenings serenaded by the sounds of violins. My father paid them too much and frankly they were only okay. But I still loved their music.
 Now though it was completely forgotten. All music to me was forgotten except this. I opened my eyes.
 The tent was warm, smoky maybe? Lights and figures blurred past my eyes as I looked for the source. What is that? I tried to stand up and found myself sitting again. Don't have control over my legs...
 "Hey." The blurs ignored me, "Hey!" Speaking came in forced bursts, like a weight was wrapped around my chest. "Whosssse playing that music?" The blurs ignored me, or maybe I wasn't talking.
 "Hey! Damn it I'm talking here! I'm talkin'...." I swallowed. Now some of the blurs drifted closer. The music kept playing also. I tried to grab at a blur. "Hey who's playin' the music?"
 "Let go of me." The blur slipped through my fingers. Not that easy. I tried forcing myself up only to stumble and slam into the table. Mazers scattered around as I collapsed onto my back.
 Well the music stopped. The light was halos around me. Fuzzy faces crowded my field of view.
 "Excuse me; I believe you were asking about the music?" A hand came in front of my face. Hairy, black fingernails and thick fingers. Only two fingers though? I grabbed it and let the person pull me up.
 That accent...Pyralian? Oh like you can recognize accents. The hairy arm poured me back into my seat. The other blurs resumed their activities as the other person sat down.
 "Did you like the music?" My head rolled to the other side.
 "Yeah...it's nice..." I focused on the speaker, trying to keep the world from spinning. Right now I could see three of them. "Isssa...uh..." I swallowed and rubbed my head. "You play the viola?"
 "I do." The three became one at last. My gaze focused on the complete speaker. "I am Sir Yacoub Egland."
 He's a knight...and a deer. That figures... Sir Egland sitting towered above me, he was a tall fuzz colored brown figure. He was in green, a doublet maybe? I don't remember, I know something was on his legs but I was too drunk.
 What stuck out to me was his face and head. His face was like that of many deer I'd seen, but more. It was happy, his black eyes were inquisitive. His head sported two massive antlers, giving him a majestic look.
 He had a viola resting on his lap. His arms almost rippled with strength and his big antlers looked like they could gore me. Beautiful. This was where the music came from?
 That was how he looked then. How would Sir Egland look now? Does he live? We were both so young then. I wish I knew how lucky I had been then.
 "You're a deer." I said. Master of the obvious, that's me.
 "I am an elk." He said. "A kind of deer in this region. And you?"
 "You're also a knight." I sneered, "I don't like knights, go away." Sir Egland's face remained blank but his ears flicked. Irritation or confusion? I'll leave up to your judgement my friend.
 'A musician, a knight and he seems happy? Interesting.' I tried to keep my countenance from betraying my thoughts.  "You haven't spoken to me yet? Do you dislike me?"
 "If you keep talking I will." I said. Still the elk sat there and watched me. "I dunno what I am, I don't care. This damn curse..."
 "It's not fair but we adjust." Sir Egland said. "I have. I never planned to be an elk. I doubt you planned to be...a lizard?"
 "I'm not a lizard." I mumbled. "I am James of...uh..." My family history slipped from my memories. I was really drunk. The elk sniffed the air and his muzzle contorted into a frown.
 "You've had enough to drink, don't get anymore."
 "You can't tell me what to do." I stammered, "I am James of House Dorothea, son of the Lord of Isenport and...some empires too!" Sir Egland gave me a bemused and almost pitying look. "Don't you laugh at me!"
 "I wasn't laughing. I don't know how to react now." His voice was strong and confident. Mine wavered back and forth.
 "I don't care how you react. I'm a noble..." I belched, "Nobles don't care. They don't care about that music...I've got a bodyguard! He'll stab ya." What was I talking about? What was I thinking?
 "A noble? I don't see anyone noble here." Sir Egland said. "To be honest, you look pathetic." I barked a laugh.
 "Coming from the elk? At least I can clear a doorway without having to duck under." Sir Egland didn't respond. He just fixated upon me. "What?"
 "How long have you been in Metamor? A few weeks?" I scowled.
 "Too long. Long enough to...get stuff..." My head began to spin again so I gripped the chair.
"What do you know of the Keep? What have you seen?" I shrugged. "Nothing? Nothing at all?"
 "Nothing." I snarled. Sir Egland shook his head.
 "If that's the case you are a very stubborn man and you are choosing to see nothing. Because this place is magical." I started to laugh but Sir Egland cut me off. "It is James of House Dorothea.
 "You say you have seen nothing? I can't believe that. I came here temporarily and stayed permanently after..." Sir Egland's gaze drifted away for a second, "After the death of the Patriarch, my comrades and...and I was hurt. Not just physically, but emotionally.
 "And here I healed. James Metamor is full of wonder and magic, things I had never experienced before. It helped me; I don't feel shame for my beastly form."
 "And being here did that for you?" I laughed, "What a load of crap." The rest of the Deaf Mule tent fell away from us. Now there was only Sir Egland and I, sitting in the void. "How can you not feel ashamed? You're a giant deer thing!"
 "I have committed many sins." Sir Egland said, "This is not one of them." My anger roared inside me but the alcohol kept it inside. At the same time though, a different feeling stirred.
 I've done nothing wrong. If I can't get home it's not my fault. It's the world that punishes me for being a reptile. I tried to squash those thoughts. I didn't want to think that. Of course being a lizard is bad.
 "You said..." I swallowed, "You were here after...someone was killed?" Sir Egland frowned.
 "I was here when the Patriarch was murdered. I was with him actually, his party." Sir Egland swallowed.  "The Patriarch that's...gotta do with the Followers?" I had actually been instructed on this by my tutors. Of course I wasn't paying attention, why would I be?
 "The Patriarch is the leader of the Ecclessia, yes."
 "I never usssed to talk to Followers..." I slurred, "I...my family is Loth...uh pagan" I giggled, "Uh I ain't."
 "What are you James?" Always a difficult question. I shrugged.
 "I'm a noble. I'm more noble than anyone here!" I think I shouted the last part, I don't remember.
 "You're not noble." Egland said
 "I said I am a noble!"
 "I know what you said James but you're not living up to that word. James in the time we've spoken you've been rude, arrogant, close-minded and just plain nasty." I grimaced at this.
 "James, I got to survive the deaths of my friends and my Patriarch. I came to Metamor Keep after my greatest failure." Sir Egland leaned foreword as his ears pulled back. "Do you think that was easy?"
 "I don't know." I mumbled. Sir Egland sat back in his chair, very calm and very still. By comparison I was beginning to shake, though with fear or frustration I can't tell. "You're a knight; you're supposed to be tougher than me."
 "You said you were going to lead a city." Sir Egland said, "Is what I do more difficult than that?" He was right, even the bastard in me knew it.
 "I...I don't..."
 "I was more than scared." Sir Egland said, "I was petrified. I was cursed, everyone in the outside world thinks I'm dead" My eyes grew wide, "and I'm stuck in a strange city. But I'm still here." I swallowed.
 "How do you deal with it?" My voice held firm, for a second the effects of alcohol dulled in me. "You're so strong...you have to have something."
 "I have my faith." Sir Egland said. "I know this is where Eli wants me to be for now. I have love."
 "And you just survive?" I asked.
 "Day by day." Sir Egland said. "It's not always easy but I'll make it." He smiled at me. "And I think you can too James." I shook my head.
 "Can't do it. I'm not strong enough."
 "I don't believe that." Sir Egland said. "You're not acting noble, but that doesn't mean you can't be. So I'm going to challenge you James.
 "My challenge is for you to become noble. Instead of whining about your life, do something. Find something to believe in, a reason to keep going, and use it to push yourself."
 "You really think I can do that?" I laughed. "What makes you think I can rebuild my life?" Sir Egland glanced around.
 "You want to transform? You're in the right place." Sir Egland said. "We've survived the curse and the Winter Assault."
 "You've rebuilt..." My thoughts returned to Aaryn, what she had said to me earlier.
 Outside of this tent were crisscrossing streets and damaged buildings. Surrounding this valley were people who would love to see Metamor wiped out. Yet they rebuilt. Armies attacked them, yet they survived. When I looked up again, Sir Egland was thirty feet tall. It took me a moment to realize I was five inches tall then. He's been through so much, even worse than me. Yet he survives.
 "You think I can change?"
 "I'm sure." Sir Egland said. "It's not impossible." He stood and I stood with him.
 "Wait!" Sir Egland smiled at me. "I want too...uh I mean..." The effects of the alcohol came roaring back. I began to sway. "I want to change. I can change."
 "I know." Sir Egland said. "I'll be watching."
 In a story this would be the big profound moment, the moment the character makes a vow, cuts his hair and changes. Except this isn't a story. Two things were still to happen. First my stomach had to lurch.
 "Oh God!" My stomach flipped and I vomited all over Sir Egland's hooves.