[Mkguild] Divine Travails of Rats - Pars VI. Acceptio (k)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Sat Jul 25 11:06:47 UTC 2015

Metamor Keep: Divine Travails of Rats
by Charles Matthias and Ryx

Pars VI: Acceptio

(k)

Wednesday, June 23, 724 CR, Evening

"Speaking of which," Charlie said, nodding toward riders slowly
making their way along the main thoroughfare through Keeptowne, "I
see all of ours." The crowds parted as they knew they must for the
Duke and his family. Duke and Duchess led the procession of nobles,
while at their side rode King Pelaeth. Malger and Misanthe followed
behind them as did Bryn, Suria, and the Steppelands princess. The
other Hassan children rode in a carriage behind their parents under
careful guard. Following were the lesser nobility and their families.
A short distance from the front Lady Kimberly rode with Erick at her
side as well as the Baron's pony waiting for its rider; his sisters
followed behind on ponies with some of the older children also riding
and the rest in a less ostentatious carriage than used by the Hassan family.

Charles lifted his eyes and a smile crossed his features. "Duke
Thomas invited all the nobility to celebrate the evening in the Great
Hall. In truth I believe he merely wishes the children of his vassals
to play together and become friends."

"It is what has happened the last few years," Charlie agreed. "He is
very wise."

"Aye. Your friend, Bryn, shows the same wisdom. You have been a great
help to him, son."

"I am trying. He is my dearest friend, as much brother as he is friend."

They pressed out of the throng of onlookers and onto the main avenue,
following the train of vassals. The train's pace was measured enough
that it would not take long before they reached the Matthias clan. It
was likely his last opportunity to ask his sire anything before the
press of family and celebration kept them apart. "Father, about your
tale... you cut off your time Beyond so abruptly. What did you see
there at the end?"

Tilting back his head, the Baron could only smile as if struck with
awe. His eyes searched the bronze-limned clouds as if expecting them
to part as they had in the garden atop the mountain of souls. "What I
saw... oh, son, you cannot even imagine it. I saw she who said yes to
Eli. I saw purity and goodness fully lived. I saw obedience and
humility in all deeds. I saw devotion and the silence of prayer in
hands clasped to the breast. I saw the tabernacle of the Most High. I
saw the sorrow of a heart pierced through. I saw love in all its
fullness, as full as any of us here could ever give though we all
fall short. What I saw I am at a loss for words to describe any
better than this!"

Charlie knew enough of Ecclesia beliefs to grasp what his sire
intimated. "Do you mean to say you saw the blessed Yanlin, mother of Yahshua?"

His father turned his head, still gazing upward, to smile
enigmatically at his son. "Do not doubt the reality of what the
Ecclesia teaches, my son. I know Nocturna and all the Daedra are
real. I know that the Aedra are also very much real and a power
beyond compare in our world. You may not follow as I do, but do not doubt."

He grimaced and his whiskers flicked forward. "I... don't, father. I
just... I..."

He felt a paw on his shoulder and looked down into his father's eyes.
"You do not need to explain yourself to me on matters of faith, son.
I only ask you be more understanding of Erick the next time he..."

He chuffed and nodded. "That I will."

Charles smiled again. "I have often wondered why I was granted such a
boon. Just as I have wondered why Akkala told your mother that Ladero
had to die in order to save me. Of the latter I have a few ideas;
perhaps had Ladero survived I might have done some wrong to you and
Erick. Or perhaps I would have resisted the journey to Sondeshara and
then fell victim to Gmork when he crossed the valley later that
summer; Jerome would not have had the strength to resist him then.
But all I can do is speculate.

"As to the boon, I believe it be a promise that I will one day see
that place again. Do not speak of this, but I believe that it will be
a very long time before I do."

"I do not understand what you mean."

Charles placed his hand on his chest and traced a line across it; the
same line that Charlie had marked him with the day before on the
tourney field. "There must be a reason for this. I do not believe
anything occurs without reason, even if we will never know them this
side of death." His ears lifted and he half turned his head. "I fear
that is all we can share, my son. You have a visitor."

Charlie turned and nearly smacked his muzzle into an equine snout.
Attired in riding tack was a very familiar zebra. Attached to one of
her ears was the oval-cut emerald he'd gifted her with that morning.
She chuffed into his face and tossed her head back, gesturing to the saddle.

"Maysin!" Charlie exclaimed, voice plaintive and surprised. "I
thought I said I would not need you as mount today!"

Maysin heard his words and then tossed her head back again. She then
trotted to his side and lowered her forequarters so that he could
easily climb. Charlie stared helplessly while his father laughed and
patted him on the shoulder.

"Honor your servant and friend, my son. I will see you in the Great Hall."

The rat gave a long exasperated sigh, shook his head and shrugged his
shoulders. "All right, Maysin, you win! I suppose I shouldn't have
insisted you spend all day with your beautiful stripes covered!"

The zebra whickered in agreement even as he climbed into the saddle.
She lifted him in the air and with a stamping trot cantered up along
the parade of nobles, tossing her head and flashing her teeth and
mane for all to see. "Show off," Charlie chided, but his good humor
had already returned. He waved to the Matthias clan as he rode past,
and a moment later Maysin brought him alongside Bryn and his sister Suria.

"Oh good, you found him!" Suria barked and wagged her tail. "Well
done, Maysin!"

"I was on my way to join you," Charlie protested.

"You've missed almost everything else," Suria shot back with an arch
stare inherited from their mother.

Charlie patted Maysin on the neck and smiled to both his sister and
Bryn who was trying not to laugh. Argamont, who carried Bryn, had no
such inhibitions and whinnied with abandon. "Well, thanks to Maysin,
I'm here now. So, Bryn, any word on the princess?"

Bryn's ears fell back in chastened silence, while Suria shot her
brother a dark glare. It was Charlie's turn to laugh.