[Mkguild] Divine Travails of Rats - Pars VI. Acceptio (m)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Mon Jul 27 09:30:48 UTC 2015

Metamor Keep: Divine Travails of Rats
by Charles Matthias and Ryx

Pars VI: Acceptio

(m)

Wednesday, June 23, 724 CR, Evening

Night had long since fallen by the time the Sutt family retired from
the Great Hall. Almost all of the other noble houses had already
sought the comfort of the quarters provided by the Keep; after three
days of festival they were each of them as exhausted as if they had
marched with the armies up the length of the valley and back down
again. After giving their body servants instructions to prepare their
chambers, they dismissed the remainder of their staff for the night
and reclined in the main hall for a few moments of quietude before
seeking slumber.

Suria was grumpy and Misanthe tried to comfort her with the promise
that there was a man right for her still waiting to be discovered.
Charlie was tempted to note that if she really wanted to marry a
Hassan, there was always young Philip but he held his tongue, knowing
that to give voice to the thought, tease or truth notwithstanding,
would have resulted in a thorough pummeling with a host of pillows.

Malger stretched in one chair and sighed expansively before turning
to Charlie with a curious glance. "You missed the wonderful show the
mages offered."

He nodded even as he stretched out his toes, working them loose. "I
know. I was hearing the rest of my sire's tale. All is healed between
us now. I even invited Erick to accompany us to Vysehrad next year."

"That will be a mighty undertaking, son. Far, far more than our
voyages to Sutthaivasse."

"I know. And who knows the dangers we may face. But Bryn needs me for
this. It will be a world like none we have ever seen. I am ready for
this, Father."

Misanthe looked at her son and then her husband and then back to her
son. "You will send us messages to keep us informed." It was not a question.

"Of course, mother. Maybe father will lend me Kurgael!"

Malger laughed at the suggestion, though he could not hide his
exhaustion. "Ah, Charlie, indeed I shall. I know you will keep Bryn
safe and provide him with wise counsel. But speaking of Sutthaivasse,
I have heard that you promised to attend a different wedding than the
one we have been invited to in Breckaris. When were you planning on
telling us?"

Charlie chuffed and backed his ears. "Tomorrow I suppose, after
everything died down. Now is as good a time as any. My sister
Bernadette is getting married in August and I wish to attend, with
your leave. I'd much rather attend hers than the one of the girl who
screamed the first time she saw me!"

Malger's smile widened with good humor. "A very good point. But we
can hardly snub a personal invitation from Duke Schanalein of
Breckaris. He is an ally of Metamor after all."

Charlie nodded and turned to his sister. "Then let Suria go with
you." He waved one hand slightly toward the morose young wolf.

For the first time since the King's announcement and Bryn's
acceptance, Suria's ears perked in delight. Her tail began to wag.
"Oh, can I come with you to Breckaris, Father?"

"She has seen only Sutthaivasse, father, whereas I have attended your
diplomatic travels far more widely." Charlie continued persuasively.
"She is of age to become a more active part of that diplomacy. And
she's a wolf, as well as a student of Vidika." He laughed softly with
a wink at his sister. "She is unlikely to be in danger even alone
against a throng of bandits."

Malger stroked his muzzle with the fingers of one hand as he pondered
his son's argument though his eyes revealed that his answer had
already been considered and made. At length he nodded. "I think that
would be a good opportunity for Charlie to assume the mantle of our
House in Metamor while we, your sister and mother and I, travel to Breckaris."

Suria yipped in delight and gave her father a very canine lick on the
cheek in thanks.

---------

Both Suria and Misanthe retired to sleep a few minutes later, leaving
Charlie alone with his father. Malger yawned and stretched in his
seat, placing his feet upon the ground in the first gesture of many
heralding his attempt to rise and find his bed. Charlie had been
sitting up for some time but could not quite make himself seek his bed.

"You look exhausted, son. You should get your sleep."

"I know, but..."

Malger cast him a sidelong glance. "You have to speak to Her, son.
You have made peace with me and with the Baron. You need to make
peace with Her too."

Charlie wanted to grab his chewstick and start gnawing it in
frustration but he forced himself to ignore that need. Instead he
lifted his hands to the lune medallion pressing against his chest
beneath his doublet. He had known since the night before he would
have to do this, and yet now that the time came he found an anger
still there in his heart. "I know. I know that bargain was not what
it seemed. I know it, but..."

"It hurts you still," Malger said for him. The rat could only nod.
"Which is why you need to speak to Her son." The marten put his hands
on the chair and pushed himself upright through a tight curl no human
could have managed. He stretched again, arching his back half-way
over and then turned toward the hall back to his bedchambers. "Good
night, Charlie. I will see you in the morning."

"Good night, Father." Charlie called after him. He stared down at his
toes for several minutes before finally working up the nerve to move
them. His heart beat in his chest, and his snout creased in a moue.
It was time to face his goddess, the very goddess who had bartered
for his soul so long ago.