[Mkguild] Divine Travails of Rats - Pars VI. Acceptio (l)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Sun Jul 26 10:17:54 UTC 2015

Metamor Keep: Divine Travails of Rats
by Charles Matthias and Ryx

Pars VI: Acceptio

(l)

Wednesday, June 23, 724 CR, Evening

It was a little over an hour later that all of
the nobility finally succeeded in their passage
through Keeptowne and into the Keep itself. The
procession was for the most part decorous with
the pomp of blaring trumpets and waving banners.
The young children did their best to show the
dignity of their houses, but there were always a
few who yearned to run ahead or hide among the statuary or tapestries.

They paused briefly to dismount when they reached
the Keep proper, Charlie giving Maysin another
hug around the neck before taking his place with
the Sutt household. Since his House had already
been announced and occupied the High Table with
the Duke and their visitors the delay was but
moments compared to the wait many had to endure
as they reached the Great Hall and each house was
announced by crier and invited in. Duke Thomas
kept the formality for the sake of each house
that they might have their moment to be
recognized; each was proud of their name and it
was best to show them that honor. But by the time
each house entered, their youngest children were
bundles of uncontrollable energy that finally
found release. One section of the hall had been
set aside for their play and they happily took
advantage of it, even if at first they mostly
played only with their own siblings.

It took perhaps a half hour before the room was
thronged with nobles and their children of all
ages. Servitors brought refreshments, though
after the feasting they had all done on the
tourney field there was nothing heavy served,
merely bits of fruit, cheese, or meat along with
wine or juice. Charlie and Bryn sampled a little
of each as they watched the other families enter
the hall, chatting with their friend Sigismund
who had stationed himself to serve them, rather
than delegating that task to another of the
numerous pages. The young alligator was still
heady with the magecraft and he gushed excitedly
about the entire affair even as his father, the Steward, watched with pride.

Despite the noise from the playing children
echoing in the heights of the hall, clusters of
nobles gathered to chat and discuss. Charlie knew
that much of it was gossip about who was in favor
in which court, and he was certain that his
antics in the last two days were part of that
gossip. But he did not lie to himself; the
majority was certain to be about Bryn and the
foreign princess who even now was enjoying the
company of the Duchess. For his part, Bryn was
doing his best to pay it no heed.

As Charlie scanned the crowds gathered he felt a
small pain in his heart. He turned back to
long-eared horse and alligator and dipped his
head in an apologetic bow. “Sig, I'm sorry, but
there's somebody I need to speak with. You can
tell me all I missed in a little bit.”

Sig opened his jaws wide in a toothy grin. “I
will tell you when you return, Charlie!”

He laughed and slipped away from his friends. He
took two goblets of wine from a passing servitor
and then waded into the throng. Charlie wound
past several minor nobles, some beastly and
others human, until he reached a fellow rat
standing at the edge of the crowd watching the
children scamper about. He stepped alongside and
offered a goblet. “You look like you could enjoy something to drink, Erick.”

His brother and litter-mate turned, eyes flashing
down to the goblet and then back up before
stretching a clumsy hand to grasp it. “Oh, um,
Charlie,” The young rat offered pensively, staring at the cup. “Thank you.”

Charlie sipped the wine and smiled as he watched
the Duke's young son Philip trying to stomp
across the room with four little rats hanging on
his arms and legs. “Did you enjoy the mage's spectacle?”

Erick's ears and whiskers lifted. He sniffed the
goblet but did not drink, shooting a glance
toward the knot of people clustered around the
mage's table where Murikeer and his wife,
Kozaithy, held the center of attention with the
visiting Magyar adept. “It was very impressive!
They really outdid themselves this year. Having
all the bells in the valley sound at once... that
will long be remembered.” He took a sip of the
wine and frowned, eyes focused on the goblet. “Charlie, I...”

“I'm sorry, Erick,” Charlie interjected softly while his brother stammered.

Erick looked up at that, whiskers and ears
flatting back briefly. “I'm sorry too,” he offered at length.

They sipped the wine, neither saying anything as
they watched their younger siblings finally drag
Philip to the ground where they proceeded to
tickle the horse's sides, keeping well clear of
his hooves as he kicked and brayed. A dozen paces
to their left Bryn shouted encouragement to his
younger brother. On their other side, Peter,
Timothy and the other Matthias children squeaked
their approval for all to hear, louder almost
than the score of other children joining in their
fun. Nobles and aristocrats from around the
valley laughed at their antics with the delight only parents could feel.

Nor was the melee restricted to horses and rats.
At seeing the approval of their parents most of
the rest of the youngest children of the valley's
nobility rushed into the fracas to either help
the Duke's second son struggle from beneath the
weight of scampering rodents or to hang from his
arms like the rats had. Soon the hall was so full
of young voices, both human and beastly, that it
was hard to hear aught else. Charlie cast a
glance at Duke Thomas who stood with the foreign
King at the high end of the hall beaming at the spectacle.

“How was the... talk with Father?” Erick asked at
length after taking a slow sip of his wine.

He turned back to Erick and shrugged his
shoulders. “Perplexing. You know how his stories
can be.” At that Erick nodded with understanding
eyes. “But it did help me see, at least on his
account, just how wrong I had been. If not for my
Gift, we'd be competing, you and I, to see who
would lead the Matthias house.” He chuffed
ruefully. “I've seen many brothers, from peasant
to royal, at extreme odds when they sought to be
the head of their houses. Acrimony is the often
sad result, if not worse still.” Reaching out he
tapped the rim of his goblet against the one his
brother held. “In that, I guess I should be
pleased that we are brothers in different families.”

The thought made Erick blink in surprise and then
he laughed, covering it with another drink of
wine. “I hadn't thought of that. And it might be
you who was betrothed to Lenora and not I!”

He laughed and patted his brother on the back.
“Master Julian's comely daughter would be a much
better wife than some of the girls my father has
introduced me too. One of them screamed in terror on meeting me!”

“Ouch! There's always your lovely zebra. She seems fond of you.”

Charlie grunted and glared at his brother,
chiding, “I told you yesterday that she already
has a suitor. Although...” he shook his head
before saying something ill about the lass who'd
offered her service as steed and who cherished
the role for his sake. “She is a fine lass who
will become an even more fine woman and for the
sacrifice of her service, unique only to Metamor,
I am in her debt. But enough of that. I
understand you will not be returning to the Narrows until Friday?”

Erick favored him a lopsided grin, evidently
enjoying his brother's chagrin. “Aye, tomorrow
will be nothing but chaos on the streets. Father
very much wishes to avoid that, so we shall wait
for the exodus to die down before returning home.”

“Care to join me for a bit of exploration?”
Charlie suggested. “I know where Master Julian
and Master Goldmark keep a secret stash of wines
amongst many other interesting secrets! I can
even take you in to see Long House if you'd like.”

His brother stood taller and his ears lifted in
excitement. “You could? Oh I'd love to, Charlie.
I bet it would take days to see everything.”

Charlie's ears pricked up and he shook his head
slowly. “In the Long House, itself? Hours,
perhaps.” He leaned back to look up at a raucous
tumult above, where a half dozen winged Keepers
were cavorting among the witchlights among the
rafters with the more arboreal of the visiting
children. “To see is but brief. To listen to the
histories of what you see, however; months if not
years. Misha and many of the older Longs have
stories to tell that would rival our father's.
Perhaps I can convince him to let you spend some
time here with me. I could even let you enjoy training sessions with Vidika!”

Now his brother's eyes went wide. “That little
devil!” Erick winced with a flat-eared frown. “Oh
I can feel bruises already from the mere suggestion!”

They both laughed, sloshing wine from their goblets in their enthusiasm.

And then a booming voice carried over even the
tumult of the children playing. Enhanced by
magic, it was clear to all even through the thick
Steppelander accent. Charlie and Erick turned
toward the high end of the hall where King
Pelaeth stood with his arms outstretched and his
younger sister at his side. His dark-hair had
both refinement and a wild energy as if it were a
horse's mane in mid-gallop. His eyes swept the
assembled Keepers and yet were fixed upon the
ducal heir who stood a short distance from him
beside Thomas and Alberta. The words would be
meant for Charlie's closest friend and yet witnessed by all.

Incongruously it was Sigismund who stood slightly
behind king and princess, one hand held forth
yellow palm up while his powerful muzzle was
dipped and eyes closed in concentration. Clearly
it was the young mage and steward in training who
supplied the magic that made the visiting king's voice fill the hall.

Pelaeth swept one hand wide to encompass the
hall. “Thou hast a mighty land and a mighty
people. Tested by wars and by a curse that has
sundered thee from thy own race, thou hast
thrived! Thou hast triumphed! Thy enemies have
been thwarted and the kingdoms that rose against
thee now beg of thee for thy plenitude! Thou art
warriors true! Thou art a great people!

“And thou hast shown great honor in welcoming my
house to thy celebration. Thou hast shown great
honor in welcoming the riders of the Steppe and
one of the greatest of mages of the Magyars into
thy contests.” With his other hand he drew the
long silver and black blade from its scabbard –
the only weapon allowed in the Great Hall apart
from those born by the Duke, his family, and
their many guards – and lifted it high over his
head that all could see. “Thou didst show great
honor in allowing my sword to stand in the
contest; and a man given the guise of a rat
defeated me! I am in awe of thy prowess, thy
generosity, thy honor, and thy spirit! Would that
I too couldst accept thy curse to bring such virtue back to my kingdom!”

There was a roar of approval from the gathered
crowd at those words. Charlie and Erick hooted
and stomped their feet in approval with all the
rest. But Charlie's eye was focused on his friend
Bryn who did not move, but stood tall and proud,
ears lifted, ready for the words that were to come.

King Pelaeth did not make him wait. “I doth find
thee and thy kingdom, good Duke, to be worthy of
Vysehrad! If it is thy noble son's desire to seek
my sister's hand in marriage, only one thing
would I ask of him. If he dost seek her hand,
then he wilt journey next Summer to my kingdom
and win her heart for himself.” The crowd
murmured in wonder at the suggestion. It was at
least a two to three month's journey to the city
of Cheskych in Vysehrad for the vastness of the
Steppe with all its dangers and deprivations had to be crossed.

Pelaeth lowered the blade and held it before him
with both hands so that the point was only inches
from the marble floor. “What dost thee say, good
Thomas Bryn Hassan. Wilt thou come to the Vysehrad to seek my sister's hand?”

Bryn stepped away from his family and crossed the
distance to where Pelaeth and Brygitta waited. He
lifted his head and in as loud voice as he could
muster, Bryn answered, “Your Majesty, you have
shown us great honor by coming to our land and
joining us in contest of sword and sorcery. And
you show my family great honor by the offer you
make to me. I accept your offer, your Majesty. I
will come to the land of Vysehrad and the ancient
city of Cheskysh to seek Princess Brygitta's hand and to win her heart.”

The crowd erupted in a roar of approval. Pelaeth
and grabbed Bryn by the shoulders and gave him a
hug that looked likely to break a normal man's
back. Brygitta bowed her head respectfully toward
her equine suitor and once he was free of the
King's embrace returned the bow. Duchess Alberta
beamed with unalloyed pride and even Duke Thomas
appeared pleased with the offer.

Charlie cast a glance at his family and saw his
sister Suria scowling, ears back, jowls quivering
as her eyes shot daggers at the princess. He sighed and shook his head.

As the roar died down, Erick nudged him in the
side, “Well, well, well! It looks like yon ducal
heir has finally found love, eh brother?”

“Perhaps,” Charlie said with a nod and a smile.
“So, would you like to accompany us to Vysehrad next Summer?”

Erick spluttered into his wine. “Wha... what? Me?”

“Do you think Bryn will go alone? Of course not.
He'll have mages, soldiers and retainers aplenty
on the journey, as well as many friends to advise
and encourage him. He will ask me and I will go.
And I will need mages, soldiers, and retainers
aplenty! We must pass through lands that are not
friendly to Keepers and who knows what other
dangers we may face. Bryn would never object to
you joining my company. And if you want to invite
Sir Bertram I'd be happy to have him along as well.”

His brother Erick stared at him open mouthed and
wide-eyed. And then in the happiest laugh he'd
ever heard from his brother, Erick flung his arms
around his middle and hugged him tight, even as
all the wine from his goblet sloshed across the
floor. “I will go! I will go! Thank you, Charlie!
What an adventure it will be!”

“That it will!” Charlie hugged him right back,
excited beyond measure at the prospect of a long
journey with his brother at his side. “Come, let
us go see yon ducal heir – oh, here he comes anyway!”

They both turned to find Bryn slipping through
the crowd of nobility, all of whom made him stop
to offer their congratulations and best wishes on
his journey. Bryn thanked them even as his eyes
kept turning to the pair of rats. Charlie and
Erick saved him the trouble of fighting through
the crowd by forcing their way to his side.

“Ah, Charlie, Erick, how did you like that little
show?” Bryn's deep voice was buried in the tumult
of the celebration to such a degree that, even
with their keen ears, the rats had to lean close to hear him.

“Very impressive, your grace,” Erick beamed, his
whiskers twitching in excitement even as his tail
thumped back and forth behind him.

“Well, it will be a very long journey to Vysehrad and so...”

“Yes, Bryn,” Charlie assured him. “I will be at your side.”

Bryn laughed and pulled him tight with one
powerful arm, snatching Erick close with the
other. “I knew you would!” Dipping his muzzle
slightly to look down at them he raised an eyebrow. “What of...”

Charlie caught the question before it was asked.
“And Erick, yes, I have asked and he accepted.
Now we need only convince Father to allow it.”

Bryn patted the shorter rat on the shoulder.
“Excellent! You've a good arm, Erick. We'll be
delighted to have you.” His expressive equine
lips drew back in a grin. “After all, the good
Baron would not refuse a request of his liege now would he?”

“No, that I doubt,” Erick agreed with an effusive
bob of his head. “I will not disappoint you, your
grace!” With a brief salute of his empty goblet
Erick withdrew to convey the request to their sire.

Charlie leaned closer and spoke into the horse's
ear. “Do you love this princess, Bryn?”

Bryn grimaced and cast a quick glance back over
his shoulder. “She is pleasant and fetching and
she seems to have a good soul. I cannot know if I
love her after just two days, but... what an
adventure to find out!” He leaned in a little
closer and in a whisper added, “Besides, Mother
would have skewered me if I hadn't said yes!”

Charlie tipped back his head and laughed.