[Mkguild] A Day in the Life VI

Jack Moore jackthefrilledlizard at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 20 18:10:21 UTC 2015

AN: Longer section, this one edited in a rush because of work today
A Day in the Life - VI
"Five counts of mean justice dispensed." I said.  "Two arrests made, crimes falls into the category of low justice. One magic object brought in."  Sgt. Tibble scratched that into his record book.  A days worth of hard work reduced to words on a page and what is there to show for it?  I know Tibble was thinking this even without Tapping his mind.  His eyes never made contact with mine.
 "Prisoner will be transferred tonight." He said.  His massive body never seemed to fit in the small alcove they had for him.  The desk was rammed against the left wall and every time it moved it scraped the floor.
 "Just one prisoner?" I asked.
 "The weasel." Tibble said.
"What about the other one, the Aye-Aye brought in?" I asked.  "Has he been released?" Tibble nodded.  "What was his explanation?"
 "For how he found the book?" Tibble frowned. "He said yesterday he started drinking after a bad day.  He had his pants and no book.  When he sobered up, he had the book and no pants.  He's just as confused as you were."
 "Well being drunk and loud is no crime." I said with a sigh.  Tibble gave a nod and resumed scratching on his ledgers.
The back wall was devoted to a bunch of shelves, each one holding a series of boxes.  As soon as the record book was dry I knew it would go into one of them potentially lost forever.  Each box had records and important documents in them, so many we could never use them all.
Even the desk was dedicated to papers.  It held papers, another notebook, two inkwells, three quills, sealing ink, a letter opener, a short sword and Eli knows what other crap.  The only candle on it was almost a stub sitting in a puddle of wax.
How can he get anything done in this place?  The alcove was so small the desk almost blocked him inside.  There was a very narrow space for Tibble to move in, but otherwise it was stuffed with paper.  The only light came from one other candle mounted against the upper right wall. Even it felt depressing as it gave a listless flicker.  When I am Justicar I will improve efficiency in this place.  Less paper and bigger work spaces.  I'll give him more space
"Thank you for your service, dismissed Janelle."  I nodded.
 A Sergeant really has only two options for what they do.  They investigate cases given to them by their Lieutenant or they take a desk job like Tibble.  If you want your career to continue, you do the former.  The problem was we needed lots of people to do the latter.
 Soon...  I lingered looking at his dull green coat in contrast to my blue tabard.  Very soon.  I left him writing and headed to the back door.
 "Janelle!"  The voice broke through my thoughts as I was about to leave.  Warden Remmie came up, still as cheerful as ever.  She took my blue arm in her spotted one.  "There you are.  I felt bad about how you said you never had any fun and I was wondering if we could talk-
 "No thank you." I pulled my arm free.  Remmie frowned.
 "But I didn't get the chance to ask."
 "You're right and I apologize for being rude.  But I have a son and little free time when not on duty so all invitations for 'fun' must be refused."  I hoped this would be firm enough but the little Warden followed me outside.
 "Most of the other wardens like to spend time at the Deaf Mule." Remmie pumped her stumpy legs to match my stride.  She's determined to keep up with me.  I'll give her that.  "It's a bar, but right now it's more like a tent but that just makes it more fun!  You should come with me"
 "I'm busy." I smiled with sincerity.  "Thank you though, I appreciate the offer.  But the Deaf Mule has never been a place I enjoy."  Remmie opened her mouth but snapped it shut again.  Her golden eyes darted around.  The street we walked in Keeptown was currently empty.  The Watch had all of its outposts set lower populated parts of Metamor Keep.
 "Well actually...I had something else in mind.  I was-"  Two people turned down the street we walked, right behind us.  Remmie grabbed my arm and pulled me into the ally between two damaged buildings.
 "Are we trying to be secretive?"
 "Kind of have to be." The gecko said.  By this point I was amused enough to not pull my arm free or give her a punch to the throat.  I Tapped her mind briefly, just enough to read her emotions.  No hostility, just a kindness I didn't often see.
 I think I know what she's going to discuss.  Remmie was looking away from me, trying to make sure we weren't being followed.  As soon as the footsteps moved past us she let go.  I should at least listen even if I do know.  She's an interesting one this Warden Remmie.
 "Sorry but I'm new to this group and I don't wanna get kicked out by revealing the big secret."  Remmie smiled again.  "Okay, I was wondering if one reason you don't have fun is because you don't feel comfortable.  Like, do you feel out of place?"
 "How so?"
 "You and I are the only scalies in the Watch, or at least the only ones who work in this area.  The rest are milksuckers." I tensed.  That wretched slur again.  Relax Janelle, she doesn't know.
 "And you think you know a place where I would belong?" I asked, suppressing my smirk.  Remmie nodded.
 "Yeah I only found out a little while ago.  Okay so I've been here like a year but it took me six months to find this place and now...I feel happy."  She giggled.  "I really feel happy."  Remmie fell back against the wall of the other building.  Her tail curled around her leg, sending the dust up in small clouds.
 "Just knowing that having scales or laying eggs isn't the end of the world.  I can be happy that I'm a spotted gecko and no one will think in this place thinks it's weird!  It's this group for scalies like us."
 "Yes and it's called the Fellowship of the Egg and I'm not on the best of terms with them."  Remmie's eyes widened, clearly she didn't expect this response.  My left shoulder was aching from standing against the building.  "I appreciate you trying help me but I'm not interested.  Thank you though."
 "If you know about them, why haven't I ever see you there?"  By this point I really needed to get home and my irritation was on the rise.  I suppressed it though.  When you become Justicar, you will have to deal with many minor annoyances.  Do not let this one get to you.  "They're amazing!  I mean they made me feel happy to be this...thing." She gestured to her orange mottled form.  Personally I like the spots.
 "I was suspended from there for two years." I said, keeping my voice cool.  "That ban will be lifted in May but I still doubt I will return."
 "Why not?"
 "The reason I left was some of the reptiles there..." A face drifted through my mind. "They chose to use that dreadful slurr of milk-sucker to describe my only family.  I responded with the use of my claws and arms."  Now I could hear the voice in my mind.
 Get her off of me!  She's breaking my arm!
 "I fought with a crocodile." I smiled. "And won."
 "You fought a crocodile?" Remmie said.  "How on Earth did you hurt them?"  I smirked.
 "Determination and knowing where to apply force." I shifted against the building, trying to ease my left shoulder's pain.  "Emily told us we were both being idiots essentially.  She wanted to withhold punishment given the circumstances.  I insisted."  Remmie cocked her head.
 "What?  You insisted?" Her voice jumped.  "Why would you want to be punished?  That's stupid!"  Remmie still had so much to learn.  All members of the Watch would have to learn this sooner or later.
 "What is the key rule of the Fellowship?" I asked.
 "Not to reveal its existence?"
 "No.  And I suspect its existence is better known than we think, but that's beside the point."  I paused and tried to keep my facial expression as calm as possible.  As I've learned, the right vocal tone and expression can help just as much if not more than the argument you are making.
 "The most important rule is you do not use tooth or claw against other members of the Fellowship." I said, bringing my scaly maw to a smile.  "Now for me that's not an issue, my teeth are small and my claws good for climbing.  But I still attacked another member of the Fellowship."
 "But Emily was willing to let it slide."
 "But I wasn't.  She holds the Perch; she is supposed to be uncompromising in judgement.  If she isn't then I as a member of the Watch have to be.  I acted in anger and for that I had to be punished.  A two year ban I felt was the correct course of action."
 "What about the guy you attacked?"
 "We are allowed to say what we wish.  He broke no laws..." I slapped my tail against the wall as the scene again played through my head.  "As frustrating as that might be, I violated the rules, not him."
 "Wow..." Remmie's eyes had gone wide again.  "I'm...wow...I just wanted to invite you to the Fellowship.  I thought...you'd enjoy it.  I like making people happy."
 "I find it odd you chose to join the Watch then." I said.  "Most people find what we do futile."
 "You don't." Remmie said.
"I do sometimes but I keep going.  Now if you wish to make me happy you will never use the term milk-sucker again."  Remmie nodded rapidly.  Her specked eyes never left me.
 "I uh admit I wasn't first planning to join the Watch but I did because they said they needed people and I like to help them."  Her snout shifted into a smile.  "I mean do you know blah blah blah blah..." I let her talk and instead Reached out from my mind towards hers.
' This is what you claim.  Let's see how genuine you are.'  My eyes drifted shut to help me focus as I Tapped her mind.  Now I went deep enough to read her surface thoughts.
' ...two years without the Fellowship?  I have a hard enough time with all the mammals thinking I'm a freak.'  Remmie's face never betrayed her thoughts.  'She is strong.  Is she happy?  Can any lizard be when you're around everyone who's so different from you?'
 "I thank you for your invitation." I interrupted.  "But I'm afraid I really must be going.   I have a schedule to keep."
 "Right, right." Remmie smiled again, showing her nubs.  "Just when your ban ends in May, think about coming back.  I'd love to see you there.  I'm sure everyone else would."  I doubt they remembered me.
 "I will think about it." I said with sincerity.  "Now go home and get some rest Warden."  Remmie stammered more thanks but I turned away from her.
 The sun hung low as I continued on my way and the wind blew from the West.  It kicked up dirt that stuck to me, especially my sail fin.  The fin serves me no purpose and acts most of the time as filth collector.  Since my tail was so massive relative to my form, I couldn't even lift it off the ground.
 And she was complaining about her form? I walked through the Keeptown Square now as those who at the Market prepared to end their day.  The okapi I had rescued earlier winced when I walked by.  I stopped and approached her.
 "Have you had any more trouble?"
 "Why?  You suddenly care?" Her ears folded back into as she sneered.  "I don't suddenly want your sympathy."
 "I'm a member of the Watch and I do care." I said.  "This isn't about sympathy.  This is about protecting a member of Metamor Keep who feels neglected.  Now that I know your complaints I will make a point of approaching you."  Clearly she wasn't expecting this.  Her muzzle and ears drooped in unison.
 "Well...uh" Now they perked up.  "I don't want your sympathy but...yeah everything's been okay today."
 "I'm glad to hear it." I said, making sure each word was filled with warmth.  "I'm sorry we have neglected you."  The okapi swallowed.
 "Thanks..." I turned to leave.  "Wait!"  I glanced back.  "You want an apple?"  She held up a large green apple, clean except for a speck of dirt.  "Free?  Call it an apology for uh...our disagreement."
 "You threw one twice this size at my head."
 "So bygones?"  I gave a small nod and took the apple.
 "It's fine." I said.  "You were-
 AGONY
 The apple fell from my hand as a force slammed into my back.  I stumbled onto one knee, then collapsed completely against the ground.  The sounds of the Market were washed away by blood rushing through my skull.
 It's a spirit. I grit my teeth.  It wants me.  Why?  I forced myself onto all fours, now panting heavily.  The spirit I could feel beneath my skin, trying to enter my mind.  Focus--focus!
 "Warden you okay?"
 "Just...fine." I stammered.  "Just need a moment."  I let my mental guards down by a sliver, allowing the spirit temporary passage into my mind.  Alright, now tell me who you are. Instantly my mind was awash in images.  Feelings and memories fought for dominance.  I could see through this spirits eyes, feel his bones crunching again and the last drops of blood poor from him.
 "No..." And I knew right away.  I stood up again.
 "Warden what was that?" The okapi cried, almost hysterical.  "You looked possessed, I thought you were dying and I can't have-" I held up one hand.
 "I'm fine." I said, my voice clipped.  "I have to go.  I would love a free apple in the future." My body turned itself around as if guided by its own will.  Every step was laborious and my stomach twisted into a knot as I went to confront a friend.