[Mkguild] Pondering the Past part 2

christian okane chrisokane at optimum.net
Wed May 27 08:31:20 UTC 2015

This story takes place right after Shadows of the Past and Present which you
can find here
http://metamorkeep.com/story/Shadow_of_the_Past_and_Present1.php .

   This ponders and what was learned in that story and the questions
answered and the new Questions raised. It also brings to mind what our world
lost when the Roman Empire collapsed leaving Europe in a chaos it has never
really left.

Chris

The Lurking Fox

Thanks to Leo M. Panther for the cool quote at the end

********************

   The complex of rooms and halls that the Long Scouts called home was
technically part of Metamor Keep but was always hard to enter. There was
only one entrance and that was heavily guarded by gates, portcullis and a
murder gallery. Defenses stronger than those on some castles the paladin had
been in. As they made their way through a second doorway that had a steel
door he again wondered why the complex was so heavily guarded.

   "I am reminded," Nestorius said slowly. The mage was standing next to the
paladin and looking up at the slot the portcullis had disappeared into. "Of
the old tale that Metamor Keep safeguarded something so dangerous that even
God himself thought it best hidden."

   "We've all heard that tale," Edmund responded. He shook his head as if to
dismiss such wild thoughts. "But that is a tale for another day."

   "Still," Nestorius said slowly. "It begs the question. What could be so
terrible that God himself wanted it hidden."

   "That," the paladin answered. "Is a question I do not want to know the
answer to."

   The two found Long Hall busy. The vast, almost cathedral like hall was
usually quiet but today he found it filled with a dozen Keepers all in the
midst of combat training. They were wearing padded jackets and all held a
long dagger in each hand. At the front of the group was Finbar. The ferret
morph had a dagger in each hand. Danielle was standing next to him.

   "What are you doing my friend?" Edmund asked. "I don't recognize any of
these people as Long Scouts."

   "They aren't Longs yet," the ferret answered. "Hopefully at least a few
will make it."

   The cheetah cocked his head to one side. "Oh?" He looked at the sixteen
Keepers who were sparring with each other. "How many do you think will pass
the tests and become a Long?"

The Long scout shrugged. "Probably one or two, maybe three."

   "That's all?" The feline asked, surprised.

   "The problem with us Longs is there are so few of us," the ferret
responded.

   "The standards to be a Long Scout are very high," Danielle added.
"Perhaps too high at times. Only a few people can meet them."

   Finbar pointed to a small doorway with a dagger. "Misha is in the
office."

   Edmund and Nestorius walked into the office and found not only Misha but
Caroline and the raccoon mage Rickkter.  Misha noticed that the feline's
entire tail was bandaged from tip to hip. He placed a small pillow onto a
chair before sitting down in it. Nestorius took a seat next to him.

   "Are you hurt Edmund?" Caroline asked.

   "No," Edmund said slowly. "The only real injury is to my dignity.
Bridgette has been learning healing and she decided to help me."

   The scout leader gave a yip of laughter. "Thank you both for coming
today," Misha said, changing the subject. "I've been researching the
information you brought and found some interesting things."

   Edmund's ears perked up and he leaned toward his friend. "Oh?"

   Nestorius nodded. "I am most interested in the information you can give
us."

   The fox held up his hand and in it was a large book bound in brown cloth
of about average size.

   Misha placed a book on his desk and Edmund was able to read the title
stamped on the cover. "Lutin Tribes. Updated 12-707."

   "This is THE reference on the lutins," Misha explained. "At least one
copy of it. Andwyn, George and myself started this and we've kept it updated
as often as possible. It lists the name, size and territory of every single
Lutin tribe known or suspected. There are a few names on there I don't
recognize and I'm going to check to see if they are in here."

   The scout leafed through the book, stopping occasionally to peruse
different pages before coming to a halt on one. He read the page intently
then looked up at his friend. "The one tribe listed on your papers as the
Grundulan are now known as the Axes."

    He read more from the book. "Now this is interesting." He didn't explain
the comment but seemed lost in thought, staring off into space. When he
spoke again it was in a whisper. "So that's where she was."

   Edmund cocked his head to one side. "Who?"

   Misha closed his eyes for a moment. "You ever wonder where I got my
famous axe from? I got it from my Grandfather."

   "And where did he get it from?" Edmund asked following the fox's
discussion.

   The fox opened his eyes and looked at his friend. "Grandfather never did
really explain. He often told the story about how he came by the axe but he
never told the story the same way twice."

   Edmund gave a chirp of laughter. I know people like that but what does
that have to do with my list?"

   "That tribe, The Axes," Misha explained. "It's a shortened version of an
older name; The Black Axes."

   "The BLACK axes?" Nestorius said. "Like in YOUR black axe?"

   "Yes," Misha starred off into space for a moment. "You know, this is the
second time the axe and its time in the Giantdowns has come up within a
month."

   "Meaning what exactly?" Edmund asked.

   "An excellent question," the feline mage added.

   Misha laughed and shrugged. "I don't know. The axe was here during the
downfall. In the valley. I know that for a fact. Occasionally I catch
glimpses and feelings from previous wielders of the axe. Sometimes without
her intending it. When I first came to the valley back in 697 I got brief
flashes of the valley in an earlier time. Not as it was in 615 when Grandpa
was here but back in 150 when this was still a Suielman outpost."

   "That's amazing. We have so little information from that time. And none
at all about the catastrophe in Camulodunum that created the Haunted Woods,"
the paladin commented.

  "Has the axe revealed what happened?" Caroline asked. "After all she was
there."

   Misha slowly shook his head. "No. It's a very touchy subject with her.
The last time I pressed her for details she wouldn't communicate with me at
all for a month."

   "I've heard the legends of what happened here in 150," Caroline said. "As
a child I had to learn by heart the story The Fall of Maractania. It was a
nasty and bloody fight. Everyone was killed. No wonder she doesn't want to
talk about it and bring up bad memories. Grandma Annabelle used to tell of
how Great, great, great Grandma Coventina survived the invasion by hiding in
a cave."

   "I wonder how many other families here in the valley have similar
legends," Nestorius commented. "I've never considered that the people here
might have preserved memories of the fall of the empire. It could be an
untapped source of information. It would mean a lot of work to collect the
information."

   "It would be a worthwhile endeavor," Edmund said slowly. His tail was
moving back and forth slowly.

   "Let us not concentrate on what we do not know," Nestorius said calmly.
"Let us concentrate on what information we do know."

   "The dagger was here in 150," Rickkter said calmly. "I've learned that
much from having her and with my own research. Survivors carried the dagger
south to Elvquelin using it's illusions to escape."

   "The axe was here as well," Misha added. "The guild was able to trace
it's journey that far. We know for a fact its last known wieldier was
assigned to the 12th Victrix legion. So it's safe to say it was here in
150."

   "Well the axe wound up somehow in the Giantdowns," Edmund said. "But what
happened to it till your Grandfather found it in 615?"

   Misha shrugged. "No idea. But from their name I think it wound up with
the Black Axe tribe."

   "The name alone is a good clue," Edmund commented.

   "So two of the Five sisters were here during the invasion of 150," Misha
said.

   "Not two of the Five," Edmund said calmly. "Three. During our recent
journey into the forest we saw the sword."

   "WHAT?" Misha barked. They all leaned closer. "How? Where?"

   "Not where," the lion answered. "When." Slowly the feline mage and Edmund
explained what had happened to them in the ghost city. They left out no
detail.

   Misha exhaled slowly. "That's , , , that's ," he stuttered.

   "Incredible," Rickkter added.

   "I was there too," Edmund added. "All three of us were. As incredible as
it sounds that is exactly as it happened."

   "I've NEVER heard of the Haunted Forest being so active," Misha
commented.

   "And interacting with the undead like that is unique," Rickkter added.
"You may have actually traveled back in time."

   "I am not certain as to what happened," Nestorius responded. "But it was
both exciting and frightening."

   "Not many people can die and live to tell the tale afterward," Rickkter
commented.

   "The entire episode seems like a dream. Or some nightmare," Edmund said.

   "Being shot in the throat with an arrow felt real enough," Nestorius said
as he rubbed his throat with his left hand. "But what really stands out in
my mind is the sword. I was not expecting to see that there."

   Misha leaned over the desk and closer to the two felines. "Are you
certain it was THE sword? One of the Five?"

   "It WAS the sword Ka-Staru, that I saw," Edmund commented. "One of the
Five Sisters."

  The lion nodded his head in agreement. "I do not doubt that what we saw
actually happened back in 150. This means it was in Camulodunum at the time
it fell."

   "I do not understand what happened to us," the paladin answered. "But
what I do understand is that what we saw and experienced was the truth."

   "All five of the Sisters are unique and unmistakable," Nestorius added.
"It could have been no other."

   "So three of the five were here at that time," Misha leaned back in his
chair. "Sword, axe and dagger."

   "After the fall the axe went north and the dagger went south but where
did the sword go?" Rickkter asked slowly.

   Misha shrugged. "To be honest as a holder of one of the five I really
didn't research the other four much. I did hear plenty of rumors but nothing
about the sword. I'll contact the Marigund guild and ask. They are sure to
have more information."

   "It didn't go anywhere," Edmund said in a slow, distant sounding voice.
The paladin was staring off into space and seemed lost in thought. "It's
still here."

   "Here where? It's a big valley," Nestorius asked.

   "It's in the haunted forest somewhere," the feline paladin answered
slowly, still with the distant gaze. "It has to be there."

   "Why do you say that?" Caroline asked.

   Edmund shook himself the way a waking person might try to shake off the
memory of a bad dream. When he looked back at the group there was a fierce
gaze in his eyes. "The sword was here before the invasion. And it has not
been seen since."

   Rickkter shook his head. "You cannot be sure of that."

   "The three were here during the invasion," the cheetah said firmly. "One
went north. One went south. And one stayed in the valley."

   "There is a certain symmetry to that concept," Rickkter commented. "If it
is true it means that the Axe, Sword and Dagger are together again for the
first time in 557 years. And it's in the same place."

   "It does explain the increased activity in the forest," Nestorius
commented. "With all three weapons together again it is recreating the
setting back in 150. I cannot be sure of what powers or magic have been
released but something is stirring."

   Rickkter nodded his head. "Agreed but what?"

   "What does that mean?" Caroline asked nervously.

   Edmund shrugged. "I don't know but it is significant. Perhaps this is a
sign from the Great One. There is a great evil in those woods, keeping many
souls trapped there. The presence of the three has stirred it up."

   "Perhaps the three were attracted by whatever is stirring," the mage
added. "Or perhaps whatever binds that evil in those woods is failing."

   "That is too many perhaps," Caroline said. "We need more information."

   "Our recent trip has told us that whatever happened back then was
centered on the Castra Prenturio in the city itself," Nestorius commented.

   "That's a start," Misha commented. "But we need a lot more information."

   "I have already contacted Sir Jacob Harrick, Senior Knight Commander of
my order and explained what happened," Edmund said. "And asked that Brother
Crosley be sent. He is the most knowledgeable of the Order in dealing with
the undead."

   "When does he arrive?" Nestorius asked.

   "Within the month," Edmund answered. "He was most eager to come here."

   "He was eager? Is that a good thing?" Misha asked.

   There was a pained expression on Edmund's face. "No. The only thing that
interests brother Crosley is the undead. If he takes an interest in
something it usually results in combating the undead or something equally
dangerous."

   Rickkter shook his head slowly. "I was afraid you'd say that."

   "We consider Nasoj to be the most dangerous threat to Metamor," Edmund
said. "But whatever is bound up in that forest is far worse."

   "In CR150 the Suielman mages unleashed something truly evil and the evil
is still there. In the woods. But how does this relate to whatever happened
back in 150. What were the three doing here back in 150?" Nestorius asked.
"And what are they doing here now?"

   "How were they involved in the fall of the city," Edmund added. "My
instincts tell me if we understand that we can understand what happened to
the city."

   "I don't know. This is not good," Misha said. "I don't like having two of
the Five Sisters together but three. That is sure to bring trouble."

   The raccoon mage nodded his head. "Agreed. But we need to confirm it IS
still in the valley. And that means discovering what happened to it after
the invasion."

   "I am trying to uncover what happened in the Haunted Forest and you are
trying to uncover the history of your axe. We all need to know happened back
in 150CR," Edmund said slowly. "It seems our quests have converged."

   "Indeed."

**********************

   The library at Metamor keep had always fascinated Nestorius Sentilus.
Even as a young boy he was  intrigued by the legends of the magical keep to
the north. But what really excited him were the stories of it's great
library that held tomes of long lost knowledge. Even now all these years
later the black furred lion enjoyed just wandering its stacks and shelves.

   He had spent the last two days going over the notes he had taken during
their recent trip into the forest. Nest wasn't sure what happened but during
their brief sojourn into the city of ghosts he had filled five notebooks
with information. The notebooks told him something had happened but what? A
dream? Illusion? Did he travel back in time or was it something else? The
information in the notebooks was exciting. The handwriting was most
assuredly his own. He recognized it. What really amused him was that it was
all written on old Suiel a language that although he could read and write
was one he would never use for taking field notes. And didn't remember
writing in that language.

   Nestorius took a break from his notebooks and took to just wandering the
library at random. A past time that had given him much joy in the past. He
found the scroll amidst a small pile of others on a shelf labeled 'Suielman
Personal Correspondences.' Other scrolls held information about crop
harvests and estimated cattle yields. But this scroll held a crudely drawn
but surprisingly detailed map of the valley that listed all the surviving
towns and villages. With the map was a long text listing the population for
each town. Valuable information that would help the mage calculate the post
invasion population of the valley. It was dated Cr200, Thursday.

   Below that was a detailed population list (obviously copied from some
older and probably long lost document) of the valley from cr 148, two years
before the invasion. It listed every town and village with a detailed
listing of the population for each. Right below that were two words in
stark, red ink so different from the black used for the rest. "ALL GONE."

   What really caught his attention was at the very bottom in a different
handwriting was a simple statement. "There once was a dream that was the
Suielman Empire, will we ever see it's like again?"

  Nest stared at that statement for a long time. he remembered the beautiful
city of Camulodunum he had been so privileged to see. Now reduced to a ghost
haunted ruin in a forest. He thought of the roads, aqueducts and of all the
amazing structures the empire had built. All gone into ruin and decay. How
the peace it had brought had lasted for centuries. All replaced by the chaos
of the current world.

   He picked up a pen and carefully added his own thoughts. "I sincerely
hope so. But not in my lifetime."

THE END