[Mkguild] Divine Travails of Rats - Pars V. Ascensum (f)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Wed May 27 21:32:05 UTC 2015

Metamor Keep: Divine Travails of Rats
by Charles Matthias and Ryx

Pars V: Ascensum

(f)

Wednesday, June 23, 724 CR - Morning

In the shadows below the stands Charlie found the
King's retinue standing about the stables in a
rough circle around Pelaeth, now in his full
armor, and the skunk mage Murikeer. While the
steppes king held out his steel and black sword
the skunk traced the tips of his fingers lightly
along the blade, head bowed in concentration.
After a few moments he raised his hands and his one-eyed gaze.

“It is done, your Majesty. For the next handful
of hours your mighty weapon will harm none,
beyond the bruise of its weight knocking them on
their rump.” The skunk smiled warmly. Charlie
rather doubted, having seen Goldmark, that even
that sizable blade would sit him on his rump.
Pelaeth raised his weapon and gazed upon it
dubiously, for there was nothing to indicate that the mage had done anything.

The group gathered as, above, they could hear the
muffled shout of the crier calling forth the next
combatants. Murikeer passed Charlie as he left,
catching the youth's quizzical gaze. The magic of
making weapons safe was usually left to lower
ranked mages. “It's big, it's ancient, and a
family heirloom,” the skunk offered while Horvig
saw to the last adjustments to the King's
intimidating wolf armor. “I thought it best to
make a show of having Thomas' own court mage do the work.”

“Just because its size, hmm?” Charlie asked laconically.

Murikeer laughed brightly. “I would expect that
your father might have something to say about
comparing swords among men, but, well...” He
leaned in closer and said in a lower voice, “It
is a strange metal, that black, and did not take
easily to magical blunting; perhaps it was safest
that I tend this task in the first place. And...”
he leaned back and resumed his usual voice,
“perhaps it is best we retired and watch how he
uses it.” His remaining eye glinted in the muted
light as he slipped past the rat.

Charlie watched him go while the King's retainers
fell in behind him and they moved as a
well-coordinated group toward the exit of the
stables; men-at-arms leading and bracketing, King
Pelaeth and Horving shoulder to shoulder, squires
bringing up the rear carrying the King's banner.
Since there was no mounted component of the
contest of foot no grooms or steeds were needed,
though the golden-hued steppes steeds looked on
with intelligent curiosity from their corral behind the stands.

“Your Majesty,” Charlie called, walking swiftly
to fall in alongside the group, though outside
the perimeter defined by the alter men-at-arms.
“May I walk with you to the field?”

“Ah, young Charlie, aye! Come, come, let us
walk.” Peleath held out an inviting arm, the open
visor of his helm tilting the snarling wolf
visage skyward. The guards let Charlie slip
through them to fall into step beside the steppes
King. “Tell me, lad, what be this ill will thou
didst show the baron yesterday? His is thy blood, am I mistaken?”

Charlie winced at the blunt, direct question,
ears and whiskers drooping for a moment. “It
is... ahh, your lordship, it is not so much bad
blood as... the confusion of youth.” He shrugged.
At the King's opposite shoulder Horvig kept his
gaze forward, only turning his head enough to
scan the surrounding crowds for possible
problems. “My sire and my father are fair
friends, but... the issue of my adoption weighs heavily upon my heart.”

Pelaeth nodded his head slowly, the polished
silver of the snarling wolf atop his head
glinting in the sun. “Ahh, aye. Thou dost know
both sire and father and the why of the choice
doth rear its ugly head to chew upon thy spirit.”

“Yes, Majesty,” Charlie admitted. Ahead the
pavilion at the end of the tournament field came
into view around the brightly colored awnings and
tents of other families and shops. “Moreso of recent than in the past.”

“Thou art upon the cusp of true manhood, lad, and
hath a mighty name upon thy shoulder to account
for thy noble station. But thy blood be of lesser
station, and thou feel unworthy of the title
given by thy adoptive father? He has blood of his
own, unless the winsome red-furred lass be another so taken into thy House?”

Charlie snorted at the thought of the very human,
very down-to-earth King, would look at his
wolfish sister as 'winsome'. It took another wolf
to see that, or one well used to the variety that
was Metamor's animorphed population. “No,
Majesty, she is truly of his lineage, whereas I am not.”

At the pavilion Horvig and the men-at-arms
stopped, while the King continued onto the
tournament field. “Thou art lineage of the title
given, lad. Count thyself fortunate that thou can
know thy sire and dam as well, and by all
appearances before thou didst trounce him, art
well loved there.” The broad shoulders rose and
fell beneath the upturned wolf's snarl. “Be it
for whatever cause, it doth appear just to my
outlander eyes. Satisfy thyself for having two
families that offer their love. Most hath not
e'en one. My own brother didst leave my family to
join the Magyars many years ago. He hath become
great amongst them, bosom friend to the scarred
mage in my retinue, and between him, yon mage,
and others of their ilk, hath done great deeds to
heal the worst of their people that there might
be peace on the steppes. Their band, thou dost
see, hast not stolen a single mite in a dozen
years.” The King paused and then laughed. “Well,
at least not without returning said mite with a
stern warning to careless townfolk on how to keep their wares!”

Charlie now regretted his foolishness from
yesterday for a new reason as it had kept him
from learning more of this foreign king and the
many fascinating stories he could tell. “I wish I
could hear that story, your Majesty. Do you ever see your brother again?”

“Every time their band returns to Cheskych. And a
very happy time it be for all in our families.”
With that the king raised his gauntleted fist and
slapped down the visor of his helm. Abruptly the
steppelands human became a snarling silver and
steel beast, as much wolf as the Keepers of that
species standing at the rail of the tournament field cheering him on.

Charlie accompanied the King out onto the
tournament field, shoulder to shoulder, and none
said aught of his unexpected presence. Upon
reaching the center of the field Charlie looked
up at the Marshal of the Field at his podium. The
man looked down at Charlie and offered nothing
more than a nod to acknowledge him. Turning, the
rat made his way toward the far end of the field
from where he had entered, approaching Goldmark
as he went. The rat 'taur stood nearly two feet
taller than he did, taller than the King himself,
and looked at Charlie with both surprise and
trepidation. In his hands he carried a staff as
thick and stout as a wagon tongue, and almost as long.

“Why'd you let him stand in for you?” The rat,
garbed in nothing heavier than minimally tooled
boiled leather armor, looked past Charlie to the
impressive – and daunting – human in his heavy armor and snarling wolf helm.

“Go easy on him, Goldmark. You're bigger than he
is, and heavier. You have an extra set of hands,
too,” Charlie chided as they drew abreast,
tilting his gaze briefly down at the 'taur's
large forepaws. Like all rats they were quite
flexible, intended for pouncing and holding or
clawing at walls. Had they thumbs they would have
been proper hands. “Just... think like a rat, not
a soldier. He'll never expect it.”

Goldmark chittered apprehensively and clutched
his huge staff. “Go easy on him, he says,” the
frightened rat quavered, continuing onto the
field while Charlie turned toward the stands nearby. “But what about me?”

Walking along the inside of the rails defining
the tournament field Charlie made his way to the
front of the shaded stands set aside for the use
of the aristocracy and lower nobility. House
Matthias had a small section cordoned off and, at
that moment, they were crowded with Matthias rats
young and old. The Baron and Baroness sat in the
center, just high enough to see above the common
folk standing in the narrow space between the
stands and the railing. Charlie ducked under the
uppermost rail and the commoners quickly parted to let him through.

Mounting the stands he smiled at the gathered mob
of Matthias and the retainers seated with them,
but Erick's scowl spoke volumes. His brother and
littermate was clearly still displeased with his
actions the day before and Charlie did not blame
him at all. Charles and Kimberly, however, smiled
and waved him to come join them. Charles moved
over a seat so that his son could sit between them.

“Hi Mom, Dad,” Charlie said, pausing to lean down
and give the Lady Kimberly a warm hug. “I saw
that willow switch, Mom. Thank you for sparing me.”

Kimberly tittered and wagged a finger at him,
only to produce the same willow branch he had
seen in their pavilion earlier. It had been
propped against the side of her seat where he
could not see it when he approached. “Oh, I'm
still more than willing,” she chided, lightly
tapping his hip with it. With a laugh Charlie sat down.

“You and Misanthe both, Mom, never fear. I may
not escape its application, even yet.”

“Then behave,” Charles groused humorously as the
Marshal of the Tournament took his podium to look
down at Goldmark and King Pelaeth.

“What brings you, son?” Charles asked in a quiet
aside while the two combatants shook hands. In
his current 'taur shape, Goldmark's huge hand engulfed the human's.

“Politics.”

Charles turned his attention to his son with a
quirk of his ears and whiskers. “Politics?”

Charlie shifted his attended as well, nodding.
“All witnessed what transpired yesterday, so it's
expected that the rumors of friction in the
Matthias clan will be spreading rampantly.”
Leaning back in his chair, his tail curling about
the legs beneath, Charlie rested his hands in his
lap. “It's best to put the rumors to rest before
they become problematic, let them see that there
is no acrimony between you and I, or with the
family.” He tipped his chin toward Erick, who had
turned his irritated scowl back toward the field.
“Though I have much work ahead of me to assuage the anger of my siblings.”

“And your parents, young man,” Kimberly offered,
though with a smile. Charlie bobbed his head to
that and reached over to set his hand upon his mother's.

“With you two most importantly, yes, mother.”

“Hear ye, hear ye! Before us stand the final
combatants of the Summer Tourney, to vie for the
Crown!” A hearty cheer rose up from the crowd
until the Marshal held a hand up for some
restraint so he could continue. “His lordship,
the young Sutt heir, has chosen to stand out for
reasons of Honor. In his place the King of the
Steppes, Pelaeth of Vysehrad, has graciously
stepped in. Though he is a stranger to our lands,
he is no stranger to contests of arms, and we of
Metamor will show him our best.”

A snicker went through the crowd at that, for
Goldmark was far from the best warrior Metamor
had to offer. Nor, to be truthful, was he the
worst, Charlie had to admit. He would not have
wanted to face the rat 'taur with his daunting
wagon tongue cudgel. While the crowd roared
another hearty, deafening cheer Charlie leaned toward his sire.

“Are you well?” Charlie touched a hand to his own
breast as he spoke over the tumult. His sire had
donned a high collar and long sleeves so that no
suggestion of any of his scars could be seen.

“I would have fared better without the trouncing,
son, but I fare well enough for all that,”
Charles admitted with a warm smile. “Your sleep was peaceful?”

“For the nonce, though I have not braced Her,
yet.” Meaning Nocturna, whom he had carefully
avoided since their last fractious meeting.

“I do not envy you that, Son. Her countenance is daunting.”

“At times.” Charlie turned his attention to the
field as rat and human separated and moved to
their respective posts in preparation for the
Marshal's flag to begin. Peleath drew the huge
black-streaked steel blade from its scabbard upon
his back and made a few practice swings with the
huge thing easily in one hand. Goldmark clutched
his stave fearfully and looked on, his long tail
lashing side to side in agitation.

Raising one arm the Marshal spared each of them a
glance and swept the pennant he held in one hand
downward. Pelaeth let out a mighty roar and
launched himself across the intervening distance
at a sprint, sword held high over one shoulder
with both hands. Goldmark fell back a pace,
visibly steeled himself, and met the clearly
telegraphed sweep of the mighty sword with his stave.

The reverberating crack of sword meeting stout
wood rent the expectant silence like a
thunderclap but the sword was halted in its
swing. Peleath let it rebound and danced to one
side smoothly to dodge the downward sweep that
Goldmark offered in riposte. The crowd let out a
gasping cheer and lapsed into a hushed silence as the two squared off again.

Goldmark certainly had reach on the King with his
massive weapon, keeping the feints of his blade
well away from himself with short sweeps, each
time wood and blade coming together with the
sound of a giant chopping trees. The stave was
certainly stout enough to weather the abuse
without snapping as a normal quarterstaff may
have, but the heavy swings made the entire 'taur's body shudder.

“He may last him on stamina alone,” Charles
opined as the two circled, each looking for an
opening to score a hit. Goldmakr was not slow on
the parries but he could not follow up his blocks
with any strikes of his own for the human danced
out of reach. “With all of that armor on I
daresay the King is at a disadvantage.”

“With that sword only adding to the exertion,”
Charlie added, attention focused upon the battle.
“But he's a warrior born and raised to the weight
of sword and armor, just as I have been. I can
carry both against Bryn for almost as long as he
had strength to counter me, and he's got size and strength and stamina on me.”

“How do you ever win, then?”

“Prick him like a mosquito until he loses a bit
of his strength, just as I hope Goldmark can do.”

But the rat had other ideas, for the King was
pressing him inexorably back. Due to the size of
the 'taur he could not circle effectively so he
simply pressed directly into the rat's wooden
defense, whacking away at the stave sending
splinters flying. The impacts were telling and,
after over a minute of repeated strikes, the
vibrations so numbed Goldmark's grip that he dropped the staff at his feet.

Pelaeth barked a victorious word and waded in,
but Goldmark swept the stave up in his forepaws,
which did have some manner of grasping ability,
and reared up to his full height. Towering almost
twice the height of the human, with the staff
grasped before him, he strode awkwardly forward
bringing the King up short. The rat dropped down
and leaned his upper body forward, scoring a
quick swat at the snarling visage of the steel
wolf's helm before Pelaeth could retreat. Taking
a couple of quick strides, dragging the stave
with his forepaws, Goldmark reared up again.

And charged forward upon his rear paws with the
awkward gait of a charger en'pesade, forcing
Pelaeth back at a swift trot, his sword out to
parry the awkward swings of the staff. The crowd
roared its approval and stood, the Matthias clan
joining in. Goldmark continued to press his
charge forward with short steps and hops, quickly outpacing the King's retreat.

And then he simply fell forward, his forelegs and
save bearing the sword down while his hands came
down upon the human's shoulders. With the massive
'taur's greater weight suddenly falling upon him,
Pelaeth lost his footing and fell backward to the
explosive cheer of the spectators. The tumult was
so unbridled Charlie backed his ears and gaped in
astonishment as Goldmark sprawled his entire body
down onto the King, pinning him ignominiously to
the ground. He cast the stave aside before it
became a bar across the man's breast and used one
hand to swat at the awkward, ineffective swings
of the sword that did nothing more than slap at
the barding of his barrel and flanks.

Underneath him Pelaeth squirmed and kicked but
could not marshal enough leverage to make any of
his assaults effective against the bulk of beast
sprawled upon him like a hunting hound upon a
toddler. The crowd roared and, in the High Box
across from them, Charlie could see the entire
retinue of Metamor's nobility and Pelaeth's
sister standing at the rail looking down in awed
shock. Sig's jaws were open so wide a flock of
birds could have nested on his tongue and rented
out his fangs to their friends.

“Oh, by Yahshua!” Charles gaped, somewhere
between aghast horror at the ignominy and laughter.

After a long count the Marshal took up the
pennant and raised it above his head, calling the
match complete. Charlie could not have expected
the crowd to become any louder, but had to slap
his hands over his ears before the roaring,
whooping, howling cacophony rendered him truly
deaf. Noting the raised pennant Goldmark raised
himself to his legs and backed up, extending a hand toward the King.

Pelaeth slapped the hand aside irritably and
bounced up, pacing in circles for a moment
clearly in a fit of pique. The crowd slowly began
to quiet wondering if the visiting Kind was about
to become dangerous. Raising a hand Pelaeth
flipped the wolf visor of his helm up and dropped
his hands to his hips to glare at Goldmark for
several seconds, the wary rat watching him with concern.

And then Pelaeth abruptly laughed, loud enough to
be heard over the susurrus of the crowd. “I want
him!” The King roared, striding to Goldmark and
slapped him loudly upon the shoulder. “Never
before have I been so soundly defeated! Truly,
the peoples of this fine Kingdom are warriors to
be respected!” The crowd resumed its cheer,
rattling the stands and kicking up a cloud of
dust. Grasping Goldmark's hand he raised it high.
“To victory! To...” He glanced at the rat who
muttered something. “To your champion, Goldmark!”

Charlie could only laugh along with those around
him as the crowd took up the chant, “Goldmark,
Goldmark, Gold – Mark!” The Marshal waved his
pennant and tried to regain some semblance of
order but failed entirely. Even as Duke Thomas
and the rest from the High Box made their way
down onto the field the roaring acclaim
continued, much to Goldmark's clear chagrin. He
truly never expected to win, or even make it
beyond the first bouts, yet there he stood with a
foreign King holding his hand aloft to proclaim him champion.

Only when Thomas raised an arm for quiet did the
spectators accede, falling quiet after a few
breaths. As the horse lord began a stirring
congratulatory speech, Charlie chuckled lightly
to himself and looked over the rest of the
Matthias clan – his family. His litter-sisters,
Bernadette and Baerle, were both seated on the
other side of Kimberly. Bernadette, the
bride-to-be, sat nearest their mother and caught
his glance. While Erick was angry with him, his
first sister appeared to harbor him no ill-will,
offering him a warm, whisker-filled smile in
return. His second sister Baerle had her eyes
closed and appeared to be praying her beads
besides so did not notice her brother's attention.

His eyes returned to Erick who sat forward a row
and off to one side with some of their younger
siblings. The scowl he'd offered Charlie on his
brother's arrival had vanished in the thrill of
the surprising battle and his ears were turned
forward to catch every congratulatory word from
the Duke. If there was any in his family he hated
hurting more than any other it was Erick.

But Charlie waited while Duke Thomas gave a
stirring speech congratulating not only Goldmark
but the winners of the other contests as well.
Just as Sir Dupré had been awarded the Golden
Lance, Duchess Alberta came down to the field,
and with King Pelaeth's assistance, presented the
Summer Crown to the overwhelmed rat 'taur.
Goldmak stood awkwardly with his round ears
jutting out to the side beneath the circlet of
faux leaves, berries, and golden ivy.

Another round of thunderous applause,
hoof-stomping, hooting, and howling ensued when
the Duke's accolades were complete. Both his wife
and the foreign king made their way from the
field and back to the high box as Goldmark, his
grin triumphant, marched a victory lap around the
field even as laborers rushed out to tend the
grounds. He finally took his leave near the
stands where the Matthias family sat and was
immediately pounced by the younger rats, both his
own children and those of the Matthias family and
a few other rat families living at Metamor.