[Mkguild] Divine Travails of Rats - Pars V. Ascensum (g)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Thu May 28 08:17:17 UTC 2015

Metamor Keep: Divine Travails of Rats
by Charles Matthias and Ryx

Pars V: Ascensum

(g)

Wednesday, June 23, 724 CR - Morning

Thomas waved his arms once more to gather
everyone's attention. “In a single mark of the
candle a banquet shall be hosted here for all to
enjoy. The Peoples of Mountain and Steppe will
treat us to the food of their land, so call come,
partake, enjoy! As we eat we invite you to admire
the skills of flight by your fellow Keepers
gifted with wings as they fly overhead. Then, in
two candlemarks the Mages of Metamor have
promised us a closing ceremony never before seen
beyond the distant kingdoms of the South!” Even
before the proclamation had been completed an
army of laborers moved onto the field, fast on
the heels of those who had just groomed it back
into shape after the recent scuffles. Tables were
marched in upon strong shoulders, quickly filling the entire field.

The final banquet of the summer festival was a
riotous affair, with thousands wandering through
the tournament field pacing the briefly
immaculate earth flat and kicking up a clinging
pall of dust that no one paid any heed to.

Charlie joined the Matthias family and retainers
as they made their way into the milling throng,
commoner and noble rubbing shoulders freely with
only the most minor reflexive spacing between
stations. Eventually they joined the Royal
assembly, which enjoyed a measure of uncrowded
space provided by a cordon of relaxed, but alert,
men-at-arms. Despite being uniformed, armed, and
strategically placed to provide that space the
guards, too, enjoyed the banquet as freely as
anyone. Ales and wines were provided in
abundance, but so too were less intoxicating
libations such as juices, teas, mile, and water.
Charlie partook of the juice fortified with small
quantities of wine, but not enough to cause his wits to dull.

King Pelaeth managed to harangue Baron Matthias
into a lengthy re-telling of his southern journey
insofar as it dealt with the Rheh, the
foreigner's retinue surrounding the rat and human
seated in comfortable chairs at one side of the
tournament field. Charlie stood among the
listeners, sipping his juice, while Bryn sat
beside the visiting princess sharing small fruit
and the occasional meat pastries provided by the Keep chefs.

While their ears inclined to listen to Charles
weave his tale of the legendary, magnificent
horses of the Åelfwood, their eyes marveled at
the agility, speed, and variety of avian Keepers
coursing, diving, gliding, and cavorting in the
sky. Charlie spotted a flock of hawks all diving
in formation and picked the Justicar's eldest son
only as they turned out of the dive, swooping
with an audible rush of air only a dozen feet
above the tournament field. The story paused for
a moment so that all watching could applaud such
skill. A moment's breath and Charles resumed the story.

“That will never heal, you know,” A level voice
muttered at Charlie's side, distracting his
attention away from a length description of the
Rheh's beautiful, and astonishingly swift gait.
Turning his head Charlie found his brother and
littermate, the rat knight Sir Erick, at his
side. His brother held a mazer in one hand and
was idly swirling the dark fluid within while his gaze was cast toward Charles.

“Pardon, brother?”

Erick shot him a sidelong glance, his ire writ
stark in the hard stare of his dark rodent eyes.
“The injury you left him with, Lord Sutt.”
Charlie's whiskers backed against his muzzle and
his ears twitched, one brow lifting at the
unusual use of his title. “He tries not to let us
know, but we see it. The small cuts and scrapes
he earns helping the workers show what he was
left with; the stone curse. Under the fur, small
scars not of flesh, but rock.” Erick waved his
mazer toward his father with a jerk of his
muzzle. “And now you've left a lash across his
breast that will forever be stone.”

“Something I would undo if I could, brother,” Charlie sighed with a frown.

“Why, then, did you assail him so?” Erick's voice
was an angry hiss, the rat's hard gaze turned
fully upon his brother. “What pique brought that
about? Or does that father of yours grant you the
freedom to trammel upon whomever you please?”

Charlie snorted. “Hardly, Erick. He, and my
mother, upbraided me rather soundly for my deplorable behavior.”

All Erick did was snort derisively. “Oh, to have
a spoiled brat sullying the house Honor, forsooth!”

“Honor?” Charlie chuffed incredulously. “That was
never brought into their ire, Erick. Yes, I did
act dishonorably, and for that I chastise myself.
Their anger was in that I had injured my father,
had it been done without witnesses or here on
this field matters not. Truly, had it been any
other who I faced and acted as I had they would
have been as equally affronted by it – by my
behavior, for that is not how they raised me.”

“You're still a spoiled snot, milord. You're
angry at Father for – what, then? How has he
wronged you that he deserved to be humiliated
before the eyes of the entire bleeding kingdom?”

Charlie turned a scowl on his brother, looking
down his muzzle from his slightly greater height.
“How? Erick, he sold me away!” The young rat
snapped, coming to Erick's level of ire. “Took me
from my mother, my family; you, my own brother!”
His hand waved toward Charles in his chair,
beside which Kimberly sat in another chair, her
fingers resting upon their father's arm. Their
litter-sister, Baerle, stood behind Kimberly's
chair, her chin resting upon her arms crossed
atop the tall back of the chair, a smile upon her
muzzle lifting her whiskers while she listened to
Charles' tale. “For a ghost, Erick. A ghost!”

Erick scoffed. “Sold you? For what end? We have
no alliance with House Sutt! Your father patrons
that mage Murikeer's manor, but offers nothing to
the family that gave him a son. Any you? Angry?
What gives you the right!” The rat's voice was a
low-pitched growl that did not carry to the keen
ears of their respective families. “You live in a
castle; I lived in a tree for my first decade!
You get your fancy clothes and more servants than
you can name, and what have we? One or two
presentable wardrobes and no servants at all for
most of my life.” Erick swept his hand out again
with an angry jerk. “Even now you retain more
staff, for yourself, than our entire House has
between us! I've never traveled beyond this
valley and yet you've seen half the world in your
travels. What have you to be angry of?”

One of Charlie's brows crept up as Erick's
diatribe gained vehemence, the raw pain and anger
in his voice taking the young rat aback. “I'd
give it up to have my brother, my sisters, and
the parents of my blood, Erick. That is your
legacy, your privilege, which I will never have.
You have not seen how it pains me each time I
walk into your House? Or even the humble tree we
were both born in? I love that tree and missed it
for years!” He finished off his wine-fortified
juice and clutched the empty mazer, gazing into
it for a moment. “Had I never learned that I was
a bartering chip between a man and a god I would
have lived with that pain, silently, until the end of my days.”

“But?” Erick snarled with a glare. “How could you be a chit in such games?”

“Because... ahh, Erick, would that I could tell
you but it is a tale days in the telling and even
I have not heard the fullness of it. Suffice to
say, I was blessed – nay, perhaps simply cursed –
with a rare talent that would have driven me mad
ere my fifth year had I not been adopted by Malger.”

“And how, then, does that dark goddess of
yours...” Erick asked flatly, his eyes flicking
up and past Charlie's shoulder after a moment.
Charlie turned, following his brother's glance,
to see Maysin standing a short distance away, her
ears erect and eyes curious. Seeing that she had
captured their attention she held out a hand and
Charlie quickly handed her his empty mazer.
Taking it in her hand she transferred it to her
empty hand and then reached out, this time toward Erick.

“I assume you wish to have more drink to fight
back the dust, milords, and wet your throats
before you growl yourselves dry?” Her dark equine
eyes shifted from rat to rat, her hand steady,
until Erick relented and surrendered his mazer.
“If you wish to come to blows, I can ask the
Duke's staff to clear the tourney field.”

After a long moment Erick shook his head and
looked down, chagrined that their argument had
caught someone else's attention. “Nay, t'is
merely a disagreement between brothers.”

Maysin's merry bray cut into the tension between
them like a boulder down a mountainside. “Betwixt
I and my younger brother, such often did come to
blows, until he came into his adult muscle and
trounced me a time or three.” Saluting with the mazers she withdrew.

“So?” Erick prompted again, drawing Charlie out
of the press surrounding the nobles and their
stories of past valor. “How is it your tail is
only now twisted into a knot about your adoption?”

The two of them relaxed against the railing near
one of the competitor's pavilions at the end of
the field where the press was not quite so tight.
“Because – I learned something, unexpectedly. It
made me feel that Father did not... did not value
me, as a son, when I was a Matthias.” He sighed
and shrugged, watching the Keep staff trying to
keep pace with the ravenous appetites of the
throng swirling through the tournament field and
tables like a spring cataract through a
too-narrow stream. Many of the birds had landed
amongst the throng to take their refreshment now
that their flight was finished only further swelling the tide.

Erick scoffed. “What, you think he just tossed
you out with the bathwater, then? I know,
somewhat, what it is you can do, but I cannot see
how it put you between Father and that crone of yours.”

“She is not a 'crone'!” Charlie snapped in a
moment of heat, glaring at his brother. “Get your
nose out of that dusty book and look around, she
and the rest of the Pantheon are a damn sight
more real than your strung-up martyr. Have you spoken with Him?”

Erick held up a staying hand. “Peace, brother.
Nay, you know well that I have not. None have,
even his Holiness who stands closest to Him.”

Leaning closer, Charlie raised a hand to poke
Erick, not lightly, in the center of his breast.
“Well, brother, I have spoken with Her, and do so
rather often. I have dealt with the taint of the
Daedra in Her realm, and the careless leavings of
the Aedra who care not that She maintains the
balance between them. So cease with your vitriol,
simply because I do not – I can not – bear that
tree of yours around my neck.” He dropped his
hand and paced away to lean his elbows on the top
rail of the fence. “And, rest assured, She is as
piqued at me right now as you are. The only one,
it seems, who has forgiven my childish ire is
Father. You would do well to follow his wisdom, as you grow into your House.”

“Would that I have those years to grow, brother,
before someone leaves my father more stone than
he is now.” With a last gimlet stare Erick turned
and walked through the open tourney gate,
disappearing into the festival crowds in ten paces.

Charlie blinked after he vanished and stretched
forth one arm after his brother. “Erick, no,
wait. I...” But his brother was gone. Charlie
grimaced and lowered his head until his forehead
rested against the top rail. “I am sorry I grew
angry with you. I am sorry I spoke ill of
Yahshua.” He grunted and bumped his forehead into
the rail a few times as if he could jar loose all
the tension. Over the years he and his brother
had shared a few words of disagreement over
matters of faith just as he had with Bryn. But
where Bryn and he had come to an understanding
and only teased each other lightly from time to
time, he and Erick had never had the time to
truly understand how each other felt.

And, in truth, if not for his gift – his curse –
he would have remained a Matthias and remained
amongst the Patildor in such matters. “I am such
a fool,” Charlie muttered to himself and hit the railing with his fist.

“Charlie? Are you well?” A familiar and gentle voice asked.

The young rat stood and turned, breathing a long
sigh. “Hello, Bernadette. I am well enough if an
idiot.” His sister and litter-mate chuckled
lightly. Her light-tan fur seemed to glow in the
afternoon sun, and the white fur beneath her chin
was crisp and clean, colored by a pink tourmaline
in a simple brooch. Her soft lavender dress was
presentable, as Erick had said, but simple and
with fewer frills than Charlie's raiment. Still,
he smiled to his sister and said, “You look
lovely in that dress, sister. Your betrothed,
Godfrey, is a very fortunate groundhog.”

Her whiskers backed in a pleased rodent smile,
and her hands clasped at her waist where a simple
ribbon had been tied into a bow above her skirt.
“Thank you. You know he loves you. All he ever
wanted was to be with his brother.”

“Erick?” She nodded, stepping closer to him until
she could lift one hand to touch his arm. His
whiskers drooped and a long sigh escaped his
throat. “I love him too. I wish we had more time
together. But... that's not how things are. There are... things between us.”

“You mean Her,” Bernadette noted, her soft eyes meeting his.

“That mostly, but now there is Father. And you,
sister? Have you anything you wish to say to me on that score?”

“Nay,” she patted his arm and then gripped it so
that he felt her claws through his sleeves. “I
would forgive you even if Father did not. But
Charlie, please do not be a stranger to your own
family. I know it is harder for you than it is
for the rest of us, but...” She loosened her grip
and lowered her eyes. “But we still miss you.”

Charlie grimaced and nodded. “I haven't felt like
I belonged there for some time now. I can
remember feeling at home with you and Erick and
Baerle at every visit when I was younger. But
now...” He shook his head and slumped his
shoulders, his tail thumping the dust at their
feet. “Will you tell Erick I am sorry for what I said.”

“I will. His anger never lasts long.” She patted
his arm one last time. “Will you be all right?”

He offered his sister a small smile, lifting his
whiskers an inch. “I will. I'm beginning to see
and understand things better now. And,” he lifted
his arms and grasped her shoulders, “I cannot
promise I will visit as often as we both would
like, but I will visit more. And I will attend
your wedding as your brother and not as a
visitor. I'll even wear the Matthias colors
because that is who we are in our blood.”

His sister's smile stretched her entire snout and
into her cheeks. She dove into his chest and
wrapped her arms tight about his back. “Oh,
Charlie! Thank you! It wouldn't have been the same without you there.”

For the first time that day he felt a sense of
peace fill him as he returned that embrace. All
he could do was murmur into her round ear. “Thank you, Bernadette. Thank you.”