[Mkguild] Patrol XI

Jack Moore jackthefrilledlizard at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 00:44:48 UTC 2016

AN: Two submissions today. This section was to short, the next too long. So
I split them into two messages.

Woods: Midnight
I almost ran right into a tree. It swayed in front of me. I stumbled but
then got caught in a root, which sent me tumbling into a briar. I yanked my
arm free, drawing blood and ripping my garment.
Then I was up again and going. An owl hooted over head. My golden eyes met
his unblinking gaze. I paused for just a moment, then started running again.
'Where am I going?' Did it matter? No, I didn't care. I just wanted to
survive. So I ran through the woods and tried to keep my eyes open. Every
instinct told me to close my eyes and hide. Block the world out, then it
can't hurt you.
"I don't want to die." I finally stumbled to a stop, my lungs burning and
legs aching. "Please I don't want to die..." A chirp from bugs answered me.
Overhead branches rustled as an own landed on them. "Wha...what was that?"
An animal walked through the underbrush, rustling leaves. I glanced back,
trying to see something in the impenetrable darkness. "Who's there?"
Something glinted in the darkness. "He-hello? I'm armed!" Nothing but
silence. I lowered my arms...
And something brushed against my tail. I took off running again.
This time I ran until I was sure I was alone. Finally I couldn't run
anymore, my body was on fire. I sat down on a damp log, taking a moment to
make sure my tail draped over the edge. "I hate having a tail. Only gets in
the way." I sighed. "What do I do now?"
The others were caught off guard but...if Brightleaf is as good as he
seems, they'll be fine. I bit my bottom lip. If they'll be fine it means I
was really stupid running away...how did they sneak up on us?
Okay I might not have been thinking about that right then, but I know you
are wondering that my friend. Misha knows these woods; the group who
attacked us may as well. But they weren't also part fox.
There is an explanation. But one I'm going to keep to myself for the time
being. In another letter when I address this group again, then I will
explain.
"I can try to find the group again." I mumbled. "But I can't do it. I can't
find my own asshole, how am I supposed to find them in the woods at night?"
I looked up at the sky, filled with illuminated clouds. "I want to go
home..."
'Yeah but where is that?'
I closed my eyes and was back in Isenport. But I was still as I was now.
Still a lizard man, cursed and doomed. All alone. I opened my eyes and I
was still in these woods.
I loved the woods once. The ones around my manor, planted by my
grandfather, shaking his fist at nature. Those were good woods because
those were my woods. While I was there I was in control. Nothing could hurt
me.
These were not my woods. These were Metamor Keep's woods. I didn't know
them, all I knew is they wanted to hurt me. No, everyone wanted to hurt me.
That's why I had been dragged on this stupid patrol in the first place. 'I
can't...I want...I have to speak to my father. I can talk to him and fix
this!'
There was no fixing this. In the pit of my stomach, feelings of resignation
welled up and washed over me. 'I...there is no point in trying.' My head
dropped as I realized it. I'm stuck here. I'm going to die in this cursed
city as an animal.
If you've never gone through an intense tragedy, I am genuinely happy for
you. My life had seen several. None, though, hit me like this.
No other tragedy in my life had resulted in the loss of my identity. The
worst event in my life before this was the incident with poor Sir Tallis.
As bad as that was, I was still me when it ended. I was still James of
House Dorethea.
'What am I now?' I rubbed my aching eyes. 'I'm a lizard man who is lost in
the woods, talking to himself. This place is making me mad.'
"Maybe it is." I said. "But...what do I do now?" I stood up. "This is the
wrong time to be thinking about it. I need to think about surviving here.
Maybe I can go home in the future." Always the optimist I was. "I shouldn't
be negative, maybe I can make a deal to go home eventually..."
As if in response to my desire to stay positive, it started raining.
Sometimes I think Eli watches me and thinks of ways to sabotage my life.
Maybe He finds it amusing; I would if I held divine powers.
But that's why I'm not a god.
I stumbled through the rain into the first large tree hollow I could find.
The down pour was freezing cold and weighed my dress down terribly. I
collapsed into the dry hollow, pulling my knees against my chest.
My chattering teeth sent drops of water flying across the hollow. I tried
desperately to warm up again but nothing helped me. I couldn't maintain any
kind of bodily warmth.
"Do lizards...they don't make their own heat." I sighed. "Which means I
don't or not enough." I took my aba off and wrung it out. "Just gotta
survive for now. I can figure this out later."
At least I was a little dry now. Back at the manor one of the only things I
liked to study were animals. Now that I was becoming one that information
gave me some comfort. Even if it wasn't of much help.
"I dissected a reptile once." I mumbled. "Don't know why I had to. Don't
want anyone cutting me up..." I sighed. "Why won't it stop raining?"
I was left sitting inside that hollow tree while freezing rain poured down.
I was scared, alone and in desperate need of dry clothes. I was convinced I
had hit rock bottom at that moment.
Yet I still had not hit rock bottom. That would only come tomorrow.